Hardtop hoist system without a celing to mount to? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
Hardtop hoist system without a celing to mount to?

Anybody know of a hardtop lift/ hoist system that does not have to be mounted to a garage ceiling? I dont have a garage, but would love to be able to hoist the top off. Any ideas?

Artimities is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Engine Hoist????

JMOD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
No I am talking about a hoist system to take off the hard top (I have the 3 piece freedom top), but its nearly impossible to take off by myself. I have seen the hart top hoist systems, but they mount to a garage. Is there a system they make that you dont have to have a garage or carport to mount it to the ceiling to use?
Artimities is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,969
You could make a frame out of 2x4's or 6's and mount one of the lifts/hoists to it.
wassup8687 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
firecapt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 104
This is what I built. Saw it a while back on a Jeep forum. Basically the front vertical post are of such a width to fit against the rear bumper along the outside of the square protrusions on the bumper.. The height is level with the bottom of the hardtop. Unbolt the top, get underneath, lift and slide backward. I do it by myself with no problems.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1784335560.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	377577
firecapt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt View Post
This is what I built. Saw it a while back on a Jeep forum. Basically the front vertical post are of such a width to fit against the rear bumper along the outside of the square protrusions on the bumper.. The height is level with the bottom of the hardtop. Unbolt the top, get underneath, lift and slide backward. I do it by myself with no problems.


Attachment 377577
That's a great idea.
wassup8687 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt View Post
This is what I built. Saw it a while back on a Jeep forum. Basically the front vertical post are of such a width to fit against the rear bumper along the outside of the square protrusions on the bumper.. The height is level with the bottom of the hardtop. Unbolt the top, get underneath, lift and slide backward. I do it by myself with no problems.


Attachment 377577
That is awesome... do you have any type of blue prints of specific instructions? maybe some up close pics???? What a great idea man!

Also.. I am guessing that you dont even have a hoist system... you just pick it up from sitting in the back of the jeep and lift and slide?
Artimities is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimities View Post
No I am talking about a hoist system to take off the hard top (I have the 3 piece freedom top), but its nearly impossible to take off by myself. I have seen the hart top hoist systems, but they mount to a garage. Is there a system they make that you dont have to have a garage or carport to mount it to the ceiling to use?
You can build one as said here, or get a $200 1 1/2 ton engine hoist and use straps with it! Just make sure it telescopes out enough and is high enough.
JMOD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMOD View Post
You can build one as said here, or get a $200 1 1/2 ton engine hoist and use straps with it! Just make sure it telescopes out enough and is high enough.

ah.. sorry.. I misunderstood your first post. Thanks... lots of good ideas!
Artimities is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
firecapt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimities View Post
That is awesome... do you have any type of blue prints of specific instructions? maybe some up close pics???? What a great idea man! Also.. I am guessing that you dont even have a hoist system... you just pick it up from sitting in the back of the jeep and lift and slide?
I have no formal blue print. I saw the picture a year or so ago and used the picture and measurements from my jeep and top to put mine together. And correct, there is no hoist. Getting under and lifting up about an inch is fairly easy.
firecapt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
firecapt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt View Post
I have no formal blue print. I saw the picture a year or so ago and used the picture and measurements from my jeep and top to put mine together. And correct, there is no hoist. Getting under and lifting up about an inch is fairly easy.
Also around $30. In material.
firecapt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
JKS
Jeeper
 
JKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunrise, FL
Posts: 53
Subscribed

JKS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC