hardtop probem - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
hardtop probem

For those who live in a house with garage or have a hoist installed, removing/storing your hardtop shouldn't be a problem. I live in a condo with an underground parking lot.... concrete everywhere and the ceiling is twice as high as a normal room. Since i live by myself, removing and storing the top is a looooooot of work. Any suggestions what i can do?

OH and dont tell me to just leave it off, i tried that, got rained on couple times. looked like an idiot.

bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Sgt.slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 278
Oh boy that's a tough one. Do you have a friends house or relatives house you could leave it at? How about renting a storage space?

Sgt.slaughter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Sell it and buy a soft top.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DonC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 798
Images: 2
Sell it on CL. Get 1800. You now have mod money. Or gas is covered for the immediate future. You don't need it!
DonC72 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
b.lister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowrangler View Post
For those who live in a house with garage or have a hoist installed, removing/storing your hardtop shouldn't be a problem. I live in a condo with an underground parking lot.... concrete everywhere and the ceiling is twice as high as a normal room. Since i live by myself, removing and storing the top is a looooooot of work. Any suggestions what i can do?

OH and dont tell me to just leave it off, i tried that, got rained on couple times. looked like an idiot.
Do you have a dedicated, assigned or owned parking space? If so, you can probably mount wood to the concrete ceiling and then mount a lift to the wood.

I have a concrete ceiling in my condo garage and mounted 2x4's and attached a Racor lift to the 2x4's. Although my ceiling is only 10' or so, the Racor has enough cable to travel 8 feet and may suit your needs. I use cargo straps attached to the lift platform and gutter hooks to lift my top and still have storage space on the lift platform. It holds 250 lbs; a 2-door JK top weighs about 95 lbs. Only regret is that I should have used 2x6's to leave extra room on the wood to adjust the position of the lift braces.

Do a search here on hardtop lifts - you may find a better solution because these guys are smart and willing to share info. Good luck!
__________________
You should see my bug collection... I keep it scattered on Jeep windshields around the country.
b.lister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.slaughter View Post
Oh boy that's a tough one. Do you have a friends house or relatives house you could leave it at? How about renting a storage space?
used to live with friends, so it wasnt that bad. Now i've moved out, it's problem
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lister View Post
Do you have a dedicated, assigned or owned parking space? If so, you can probably mount wood to the concrete ceiling and then mount a lift to the wood.

I have a concrete ceiling in my condo garage and mounted 2x4's and attached a Racor lift to the 2x4's. Although my ceiling is only 10' or so, the Racor has enough cable to travel 8 feet and may suit your needs. I use cargo straps attached to the lift platform and gutter hooks to lift my top and still have storage space on the lift platform. It holds 250 lbs; a 2-door JK top weighs about 95 lbs. Only regret is that I should have used 2x6's to leave extra room on the wood to adjust the position of the lift braces.

Do a search here on hardtop lifts - you may find a better solution because these guys are smart and willing to share info. Good luck!
The problem with my parking garage is, the ceiling is ridiculously high..... and i doubt the management team will allow me to do that.
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC72 View Post
Sell it on CL. Get 1800. You now have mod money. Or gas is covered for the immediate future. You don't need it!
do-able, but i personally like the look of hardtop a lot more
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Sgt.slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 278
Your next option is to move again to a place that is Jeep friendly lol.
Sgt.slaughter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
what if, i customize a roll-able frame rack, that can go over the roof, lift it, and roll it away??? Maybe ill make a drawing of it and show it to y'all haha
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Sgt.slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowrangler
what if, i customize a roll-able frame rack, that can go over the roof, lift it, and roll it away??? Maybe ill make a drawing of it and show it to y'all haha
But then where are you going to put it Inspector Gadget?
Sgt.slaughter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 105
Anybody know the weight of a 4 door hardtop? How much do the 2 front panels weigh? Do you remove them when storing the top to cut down on weight? Sorry to jackknife your thread.
Could you build a framework out of 2 x 4's, and use that to lift the top.
realter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.slaughter View Post
But then where are you going to put it Inspector Gadget?
i have two parking spots haha, ill jus park my top in the other spot
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Sgt.slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowrangler

i have two parking spots haha, ill jus park my top in the other spot
AHA! I'd be scared someone would take it or do something stupid.
Sgt.slaughter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,593
Why not just rent out some storage space for the spring/summer seasons?
Matador is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 771
1. Check with your dealer (or any others), if they store them. Mine does, for 15$/month. They'll take it off, stick it up on a rack for the season, put it on at the end. Very reasonable.

2. If you have a two door, and regular size parking space, fit it sideways against the wall of your spot if you have a wall spot. Cover it up with a 4 dollar tarp, no one will know what it is, an even so, there should be cameras in your garage.

3. Many years ago, I walked off my JY hard top on my back. If you're young and strong these new ones minus the panels should be even lighter. Get a solid step a the back walk in center your self stand up slightly and walk out. Nothing more than squats with 180 lbs on your back.
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by positrak View Post
1. Check with your dealer (or any others), if they store them. Mine does, for 15$/month. They'll take it off, stick it up on a rack for the season, put it on at the end. Very reasonable.

2. If you have a two door, and regular size parking space, fit it sideways against the wall of your spot if you have a wall spot. Cover it up with a 4 dollar tarp, no one will know what it is, an even so, there should be cameras in your garage.

3. Many years ago, I walked off my JY hard top on my back. If you're young and strong these new ones minus the panels should be even lighter. Get a solid step a the back walk in center your self stand up slightly and walk out. Nothing more than squats with 180 lbs on your back.
I have no problem storing it actually. I should give it a try
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Build a hoist on wheels high enough for the hard top to go over your Jeep, but skinny enough to fit in your parking space. Hoist the top up and leave it there, parking beneath it, or rolling it out of the way to park then rolling it over the parked Jeep.
No permanent installation and it only takes the footprint of your parking space.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
Build a hoist on wheels high enough for the hard top to go over your Jeep, but skinny enough to fit in your parking space. Hoist the top up and leave it there, parking beneath it, or rolling it out of the way to park then rolling it over the parked Jeep.
No permanent installation and it only takes the footprint of your parking space.
that's exactly what I'm thinking. Doing my design
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Kmlande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by positrak
1. Check with your dealer (or any others), if they store them. Mine does, for 15$/month. They'll take it off, stick it up on a rack for the season, put it on at the end. Very reasonable.

2. If you have a two door, and regular size parking space, fit it sideways against the wall of your spot if you have a wall spot. Cover it up with a 4 dollar tarp, no one will know what it is, an even so, there should be cameras in your garage.

3. Many years ago, I walked off my JY hard top on my back. If you're young and strong these new ones minus the panels should be even lighter. Get a solid step a the back walk in center your self stand up slightly and walk out. Nothing more than squats with 180 lbs on your back.
I did this a couple of times with out the step. Extremely hard. Now I want to try again wit the step but wait! I don't need to, just bought a soft top!
Kmlande is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
missyjk79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: good ol' green wet western washington
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowrangler

that's exactly what I'm thinking. Doing my design
Hey let us know what u come up with. My issue is height in the garage...wtg
missyjk79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 771
Simple shop crane, for under 200 dollars:

Rubicon is 72 inches, this raises to 82 inches, you'll need to figger out a suitable attachment to the roof to get it to work.

Engine Hoist / Shop Crane - 1 Ton



Lot of simpler things you can make, if you got a receiver hitch, a bumper crane inserted in it, even a simple wooden deal with a foot that you drive over and onto the hold it in place, so long as it can swing around. 4 cheap work horses, couple 2x4's, same deal position it like a tressle, climb in lift with back a few inches, make a way to manouver the tressel inwards and under the roof, do same for the front. Think squat standsm a bar across drive under/between them, hoist away...




Cheapest is Chuck the Security guard or Fred the Maintenance guy or Roger the gardener, shoot them 20 dollars for 3 minutes of their time to assist you.
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: D/FW
Posts: 333
Can you screw in 4 J-hooks, carry 4 tye-downs, have one good hand and a bad back?

__________________
2012 JKUR (doh)
Auto, Freedom, 410's, in Black
12JKUR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
bobowrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKUR View Post
Can you screw in 4 J-hooks, carry 4 tye-downs, have one good hand and a bad back?

Anything has to do with attaching things to the ceiling is out of the question in my case; my garage ceiling is just too damn high!!! I'm trying to work out a simple design for a rolling hoist, but if i can find one cheap and durable, i'd jus buy it too.
bobowrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
-JC-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wenatchee WA
Posts: 319
How about a Tent/canopy frame, or even the frame from one of those portable garages like you can get at costco. You can drive under it and hoist the top to the frame.
-JC- is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC- View Post
How about a Tent/canopy frame, or even the frame from one of those portable garages like you can get at costco. You can drive under it and hoist the top to the frame.
my thoughts exactly! 600$ or less... car...err...Jeep-port and 4 nylon ratchet straps.

ShelterLogic 20 x 12 House Style Canopy Carport - Carports at Canopy Center
JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
My garage ceiling is 10' and the RACOR HD Hoist is great for the hardtop-removal/storage--drive in/out-



JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
OH9JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
My garage ceiling is 10' and the RACOR HD Hoist is great for the hardtop-removal/storage--drive in/out-



JIMBO


I have GOT to get me one of those things!! I looked at one in Sears the other night.

No top weather is just around the corner.
__________________
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.
OH9JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
My garage ceiling is 10' and the RACOR HD Hoist is great for the hardtop-removal/storage--drive in/out-

JIMBO
I put this up in my garage and it is perfect. The best priced an most convenient solution out there.
Strinos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Sorry - I didn't see the OP's concern about the condo's management being unlikely to approve

Strinos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I sell my hardtop?? Owen_TJ TJ General Discussion Forum 34 01-14-2012 09:30 PM
OMG! My BACK! First time ever putting on a TJ hardtop... Dgrimjeeper TJ General Discussion Forum 45 12-04-2011 10:08 PM
Hardtop help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jonzimm22 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 10-29-2011 08:54 AM
Hardtop problem ChandlerSL YJ Tech Forum 18 03-17-2011 03:31 PM
Hardtop to Windshield Sealing Problems martinontheroad YJ Tech Forum 10 10-13-2010 11:26 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC