Headlight upgrade regrets - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Brwolfjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 227
Headlight upgrade regrets

I have a 2014 and I am wanting to upgrade the headlights. I am considering Trucklite and JW Speaker. My question is, has any one had any regrets choosing one over the other. Do the Trucklite purchasers wish they had stepped up to the JW Speaker and do the JW Speaker purchasers wish they had spent less money and gone with the Trucklites? I hope that makes sense. Thank you Ben

__________________
Ben
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
Brwolfjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
I went with the TLs, and have no regrets. They have a great spread, clean cutoff, and the high-beams will blind anyone you want.

Per the professional reviews, the Speakers are better lights. Not "twice the price" better, just marginally.

For me, I couldn't justify the extra $300 for lights that were only a little nicer.

Capndik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,123
Or you could go between the two price wise and get the KC for like 440 on amazon. Thats what i have and i love them.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobndry View Post
Or you could go between the two price wise and get the KC for like 440 on amazon. Thats what i have and i love them.
Are they better than the trucklites?
Capndik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndik View Post
I went with the TLs, and have no regrets. They have a great spread, clean cutoff, and the high-beams will blind anyone you want.

Per the professional reviews, the Speakers are better lights. Not "twice the price" better, just marginally.

For me, I couldn't justify the extra $300 for lights that were only a little nicer.
This, 100%.

I have the TLs and no complaints. If the KCs had been out at the time when I bought, I might have gone that route though. From what I've seen on the forum, they seem to have more light output. Better warranty too.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic
'13 JK Sahara...too many other toys...

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Strokerswild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
dmako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 313
Peterson also sells LEDs that from what I understand they make the lights for KC.
dmako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Brwolfjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 227
Are you talking about the kc quad bar?
__________________
Ben
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
Brwolfjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
dmako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwolfjr View Post
Are you talking about the kc quad bar?
If you're referring to the Petersen's no, they make 7" light
dmako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Brwolfjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 227
Delta has the quad bar. I wish I could see a bunch of them installed at the same time.
__________________
Ben
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
Brwolfjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
bcsnave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 366
what makes the KC better than the TL's?

Is it the warranty?
__________________
___________________________________________

2013 True Blue Sahara
2012 Subaru Outback (what a wheeling machine..lol)
bcsnave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
HK_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ken Caryl Valley, Colorado
Posts: 2,256
I went with the TLs and hated them enough to return them. This was the latest version. I just got the Cibies from Daniel Stern. They are cheaper and from all I see, the beam pattern is much better. They are European code headlights, and I hope to install them this week....just have to get the XPel film on them before installing.
__________________
2014 JKU Rubicon- all white with tan leather

LOD front bumper, AEV rear bumper, TeraFlex tire carrier, Shrockworks sliders, Method Standard wheels, 35" MTR Kevlars, Englewood driveshafts, Synergy 3" Lift, Rancho 9000XLs, Artec truss, Teraflex C-gussets, Grabars, HotHead Liners, MORE dead pedal, Tuffy underseat box, Uniden 520 XL, 10lb CO2 tank...
HK_Runner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 7,099
I work 12 hour shifts so drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark during the winter and TL are the best investment I have made. You have to get them adjusted correctly which takes time and effort but when you do they will amaze you. they only real way to get them properly adjusted is in the dark so I think that is why some people are not happy with them. You need to pull the grill find a dark area start adjusting. up and down is easy as there is a torq screw adjustment but side to side is not so easy and you need to fashion shims using electrical tape or similar but well worth the 1/2 hour of work to have awesome lighting.

this outfit is good and best price I have seen.
http://www.easternperformance.com/tr...-models-7.html
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
IBgeocaching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Duluth MN
Posts: 233
I went with TL and couldnt be happier. I considered the JW`s but the $$ didnt justify it and the low beams possibly being to bright, thinking of other drivers and didnt want to blind them with the low beams, every review I read or video I saw at the time mentioned this. Being in the snow zone I wish I could have the heated TL`s that are available now even though I really havent had anymore trouble than with the factory lights.
IBgeocaching is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,046
I also went with Truck Lites and any very happy. The light output is so much better than the stock it's not even funny.

I think the TL's are the best bang for the buck.
wassup8687 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I work 12 hour shifts so drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark during the winter and TL are the best investment I have made. You have to get them adjusted correctly which takes time and effort but when you do they will amaze you. they only real way to get them properly adjusted is in the dark so I think that is why some people are not happy with them. You need to pull the grill find a dark area start adjusting. up and down is easy as there is a torq screw adjustment but side to side is not so easy and you need to fashion shims using electrical tape or similar but well worth the 1/2 hour of work to have awesome lighting.
Adjusting was easy, here's how:

- BEFORE REMOVING STOCK LIGHTS, pull into your driveway at night and line your tires up with something permanent. I used the curb. Take a photo of where your light cutoff falls on your garage door, wall, fence, whatever. If you want, stick a couple pieces of masking tape there.

- nonce they arrive, install your new lights. Put everything back together.

- wait until dark; line your jeep up with the reference point you originally went with. COVER one light with a towel. Use a t15 torx bit to adjust the screw on the uncovered light until the light cutoff lines up with where the stock lights did on your garage door. (No need to remove grille, there is a notch for the adjuster). Once the first light is adjusted, move the towel to cover it, and do the same with the other.

Tada!!
Capndik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 7,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndik View Post
Adjusting was easy, here's how:

- BEFORE REMOVING STOCK LIGHTS, pull into your driveway at night and line your tires up with something permanent. I used the curb. Take a photo of where your light cutoff falls on your garage door, wall, fence, whatever. If you want, stick a couple pieces of masking tape there.

- nonce they arrive, install your new lights. Put everything back together.

- wait until dark; line your jeep up with the reference point you originally went with. COVER one light with a towel. Use a t15 torx bit to adjust the screw on the uncovered light until the light cutoff lines up with where the stock lights did on your garage door. (No need to remove grille, there is a notch for the adjuster). Once the first light is adjusted, move the towel to cover it, and do the same with the other.

Tada!!
yup did that the first time. I bet if you rode in my wrangler at night you would think I had a different head light then you do. My guess is some people who don't like the trucklites did it the traditonal way too. In order for you to get the ultimate adjustment you need both vertical and horizontal adjusted and you need more the 15-20 yards level ground. It would be nice if jeep would have left the horizontal adj screw in but for some reason it is no longer included. It can be purchased tho, but without it I have found no way to adj horizontally without removing the grill and using shims..
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 472
I had TL's and returned them. I could not get over the big X that you see in the light. Currently I just upgraded the bulb in this jeep with the phillips xtreme vision and I find this to be as good as some of the cheaper options out there like Deltas and so on. Until TL gets rid of the X I won't be buying another set. I have not purchased the JWS yet as I feel they should include the wiring harness for the price they ask. I probably would have bought a few pairs by now had they included it.
peanut09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,909
Another happy user of D Stern set up for my 08 these past 3 years.

Nearly $1k for harness/headlights/Cibie fogs but have no issues, no complaints and very pleased with the product.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 7,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
I had TL's and returned them. I could not get over the big X that you see in the light. Currently I just upgraded the bulb in this jeep with the phillips xtreme vision and I find this to be as good as some of the cheaper options out there like Deltas and so on. Until TL gets rid of the X I won't be buying another set. I have not purchased the JWS yet as I feel they should include the wiring harness for the price they ask. I probably would have bought a few pairs by now had they included it.
horizontal adjustment takes care of the X
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
horizontal adjustment takes care of the X
The X is still there regardless of how they are adjusted it just moves it to a different spot and depending on city or country driving one position makes it seem less obvious over the other, maybe just a little...
peanut09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
budwizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Midlothian, Va.
Posts: 124
I bought the JW Speaker headlights and couldn't be happier. I also went with their fog's to complete the setup. No regrets at all. I haven't seen the Trucklite's in use.
budwizer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #22
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kappaknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,298
For those that do get the JW Speakers, I don't think you'll find anyone regretting their purchase. They're worth it.
__________________
2013 Commando Green JKUR / Jeep Clothing for off-roading...
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
kappaknight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Brwolfjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 227
Has anyone installed guards over their jw speakers?
__________________
Ben
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
Brwolfjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
WranglerJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 117
Ive only tried Speakers and no regrets. Almost went with TL or KC but after the comparison review i was sold. Im one that is so anal about little details that any "flaw" would drive me bonkers. Just knowing its there......I think they are pricey but you pay 2x for marginal improvement with most products. My justification is it pays to look different. I wasn't sure about the non traditional look but i think it looks cool depending on your decor.

Either way with TL, Peterson, KC is major improvement and quality companies.
__________________
Bumble: Born 2013 \ JKUR \ White \ 4" Lift RE Springs, Fox ATS, Synergy Control Arms, Drag Link, Track Bars, Bilsteins \ Toyo AT2 35" \ XD Addicts 20" \ Custom Bumpers w Winch \ Teraflex HD Carrier \ AMP Boards \ Banks CAI \ Other Goodies & More TBD
WranglerJA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Nuke83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW of Atlanta
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsnave View Post
what makes the KC better than the TL's?

Is it the warranty?
Many prefer the light pattern of the KC's over TruckLite. The KC's are relatively new. There are many threads and comments about TL's and the artifacts they produce, particularly the "X" pattern that are in the sightline that many cannot get past.

I have the KC's and have had them for about a month. I really like them. I posted a video for anyone wanting to see the light output and pattern. The only notable artifacts is a dark line a few feet in front of the Jeep that runs across the road. This was very noticeable to me the first few nights, but because it is not in the normal sightline of my vision, I don't even notice it any longer.

I'm very pleased with the KC's and have no regrets at all. And, the warranty is pretty sweet. Peterson's has a lifetime (KC's is 23 year). It appears that Peterson makes the KC's for them. TL's is 3 year.

Nuke83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,203
I can't believe an "X" made people get rid of the the TruckLites. I don't even see it unless I'm approaching an incline in the road that my lights might hit. Hell, if anything it's useful. When yer drunk, ya just line the X up with the middle of the lane and yer good!
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,899
I went with Trucklites and am more than happy.

The 'artifacts' issue is overblown for those who lack OCD.
2five22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 799
Images: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke83 View Post

Many prefer the light pattern of the KC's over TruckLite. The KC's are relatively new. There are many threads and comments about TL's and the artifacts they produce, particularly the "X" pattern that are in the sightline that many cannot get past.

I have the KC's and have had them for about a month. I really like them. I posted a video for anyone wanting to see the light output and pattern. The only notable artifacts is a dark line a few feet in front of the Jeep that runs across the road. This was very noticeable to me the first few nights, but because it is not in the normal sightline of my vision, I don't even notice it any longer.

I'm very pleased with the KC's and have no regrets at all. And, the warranty is pretty sweet. Peterson's has a lifetime (KC's is 23 year). It appears that Peterson makes the KC's for them. TL's is 3 year.

Those appear to be aimed too high.
ThingsAbove is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 628
I went from Truck-lite Phase 7s back to halogen with Hella H4 E-Codes and Philip Xtreme Vision bulbs, ran the RallyLights/SMS harness on both setups. IMO the Hella E-Codes are better in almost every way. Low beams are brighter (Hella's high beams provide more clarity), cleaner spread, further throw, front lens gets hot enough to melt snow, lights up signs more. Only thing the Hellas lack is throwing light to the side, going to order Hella 4000 Cornering Beams which should take care of that. Getting 3 defective (One working half the time, two with a yellow tint to the light) TLs didn't help either.
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Anvil 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
For those that do get the JW Speakers, I don't think you'll find anyone regretting their purchase. They're worth it.
X2 they are great lights with an almost flawless pattern. Not to mention they look 100x better than factory.

Anvil 14 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



« Straps | Sound bar and sub stuffing? »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Vendor Spotlight (Deals & More)
Quadratec
Jeep Parts - Jeep Wheels - Jeep Soft Tops
» Recent Threads

» Popular Tags
2.5 2014 advice audio battery bestop body lift build bumper camping clutch dana 44 electrical engine exhaust fender fenders for sale hard top hardtop help advice install jeep jeep jk jeep tj jeep wrangler jeep yj jku leak led lift lift advice lift kit lights muffler newbie noise oem outdoorx4 overland parts radio regear rims rubicon sahara sale shocks soft top speakers sport springs steering stereo stock suspension suspension lift swap tire tires tires and wheels top transfer case transmission unlimited wheels wheels and tires winch wiring wrangler
Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC