Hells Revenge, Can I do it? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 77
Hells Revenge, Can I do it?

Just looking for some advice around Hell's Revenge, I have a stock 2013 JKUR, added a winch but based on the photos I've seen it may not be very usable. The wife and I were going to drive over to Moab for our first venture out in the new Rubicon and wondered if the stock configuration will make it through Hells Revenge trail?

Secondly, with the stock mud tires, how low should I drop the pressure to manage contact with the slick rock? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Never2Old is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Utahpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Moab, UT
Posts: 145
If you take the bypasses through the tough sections you can probably make it, but you will most likely have some scraping underneath.
Use low range, sway bar disconnected and about 18 psi in your tires
Pete

Utahpete is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Rubiconpoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 148
I have done HR about 10 times, you can do 90 percent but DO NOT DO TRAILS ALONE!!

Skip what doesn't feel right, if you go to Moab and want to run with others just meet at city market around 8 am.
Most people will welcome you and your wife.
I have done Hells Gate but I had a GREAT spotter.
Have fun
Rubiconpoor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
dwindeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 548
Your rubi will walk thru it easily. But it's always good to be with others, and better yet with someone who knows the trail.
dwindeck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the mountains.
Posts: 3,660
Images: 4
12 psi and you will drag the underside at different places along the trail. There is a good drop about half a mile from the exit that you will bang your bumper on and there is not a bypass on it. If you are not totally sure enter in the trail and play around and then come out the entrance again. It is a fun trail. Done it dozens of times.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
nick50471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bushwood Country Club
Posts: 13,887
Re: Hells Revenge, Can I do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
12 psi and you will drag the underside at different places along the trail. There is a good drop about half a mile from the exit that you will bang your bumper on and there is not a bypass on it. If you are not totally sure enter in the trail and play around and then come out the entrance again. It is a fun trail. Done it dozens of times.
That little drop at the exit catches a lot of people off guard.
__________________
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
nick50471 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 77
Thanks for the votes of confidence, I like the idea of checking the city market to join others, have 4 wheeled some up in the mountains but haven't done the extreeme stuff you read about. Brutal fact is if I try that my wife won't go. lol Anyways I fired up about the trip to put the new jeep through it's paces. Thanks again
Never2Old is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Rubiconpoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 148
While your in Moab, put your wife behind the wheel. Let her experience the "feel" of driving, she may catch the bug.
Rubiconpoor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 77
Putting her in the driver seat sound like a whole new experience. lol I'll do that, she'll freak for a while but I bet she gets into it. The first night we met 20 yrs ago, went out four wheeling, ended up rolling my 1974 Bronco. No body hurt, just my pride, got to know her on the three hour stroll back to town. lol best start to a great life with her.
Never2Old is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
YJmaddness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: utah/idaho
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471

That little drop at the exit catches a lot of people off guard.
Lol ya it does. I broke a tierod on my old 87 4runner there when I was down during the 03 ejs Many people were not happy coming up on a couple high schoolers blocking the exit.
__________________
jeep jeep jeep.....
Sold... 90 YJ, 97 tj
Current 2013 JKUR Gecko in factory form. 6 speed 4:10 Max Tow
YJmaddness is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
YJmaddness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: utah/idaho
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Old
Just looking for some advice around Hell's Revenge, I have a stock 2013 JKUR, added a winch but based on the photos I've seen it may not be very usable. The wife and I were going to drive over to Moab for our first venture out in the new Rubicon and wondered if the stock configuration will make it through Hells Revenge trail?

Secondly, with the stock mud tires, how low should I drop the pressure to manage contact with the slick rock? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ill be taking my stock jkur through there this spring. I did follow one a few years ago with my yj and he did drag a bit but nothing major.
__________________
jeep jeep jeep.....
Sold... 90 YJ, 97 tj
Current 2013 JKUR Gecko in factory form. 6 speed 4:10 Max Tow
YJmaddness is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Old View Post
Putting her in the driver seat sound like a whole new experience. lol I'll do that, she'll freak for a while but I bet she gets into it. The first night we met 20 yrs ago, went out four wheeling, ended up rolling my 1974 Bronco. No body hurt, just my pride, got to know her on the three hour stroll back to town. lol best start to a great life with her.
hey so were you the people on Lion's Back years ago?
xjrguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kappaknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconpoor View Post
While your in Moab, put your wife behind the wheel. Let her experience the "feel" of driving, she may catch the bug.
I feel like bring in the passenger seat is a lot more stressful than the driver seat. Things feel way worse when you don't have control.
__________________
2013 Commando Green JKUR
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
kappaknight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Womjello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick50471 View Post
That little drop at the exit catches a lot of people off guard.
Rolling a 1974 Bronco on a first date catches a lot of people off guard.
Womjello is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: LITTLETON, COLORADO
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2Old View Post
Thanks for the votes of confidence, I like the idea of checking the city market to join others, have 4 wheeled some up in the mountains but haven't done the extreeme stuff you read about. Brutal fact is if I try that my wife won't go. lol Anyways I fired up about the trip to put the new jeep through it's paces. Thanks again
Never old,

My friend & I did it in October with a stock JKUR & our 2door. We aired to 24psi. He steered around rocks I was able to drive over and we lightly touched the frame 5 or 6 times, no worries nothing damaged and was a fun day. that's one of my favorite trails down in Moab. Mainly just be careful up high on the slick rock. Your Rubi will crawl down the Dragons Tail without touching the brakes!!
scubatech is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 77
Sounds like I should give it a try, after all she knew what she was getting into 20 yrs ago, and as if I've changed, not. This will be fun, hopefully won't bring back any incidents. lol
Never2Old is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 896
Just be careful on that trail as you WILL need a spotter in a few areas. The last mile is the toughest.

Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC