Help!!!!!!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
doufus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie
Posts: 254
Help!!!!!!!

I'll keep it short. 08 JKU, V6 petrol. ABS and ESP BAS lights keep coming on. Then they go off after a short while. Happening nearly all the time over the past 2 days. Also the traction control keeps kicking in around corners, dry road and speed is not the issue.

Today it feels like the engine is surging a small amount. Almost as if the fuel filter is getting a bit clogged. But i doubt this has anything to do with the warning lights coming up on the dash.

Anyone with any ideas. Or should i just take it to the shop?

__________________
It's not a car. It's a Jeep
doufus1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
1) Any modifications to the tires/suspension and when?

2) how old is the battery?

3) Do you have cruise control, and does it work.

Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
doufus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
1) Any modifications to the tires/suspension and when?

2) how old is the battery?

3) Do you have cruise control, and does it work.

No mods to tires or suspension. But i do have newer tires on the rear.

Batt is 2 years old. Still in good cond.

And yes cruise control does work.
__________________
It's not a car. It's a Jeep
doufus1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,182
Is your steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight? If your steering wheel is tilted when the wheels are straight it can mess up the computer's thinking.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB 72, 10A springs, Bushwacker flatties

Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Lusus_Naturae is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
doufus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae View Post
Is your steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight? If your steering wheel is tilted when the wheels are straight it can mess up the computer's thinking.

Wheel is straight. Any other ideas?
__________________
It's not a car. It's a Jeep
doufus1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by doufus1 View Post
... Any other ideas?
If WF alumnus daggo66 was still actively posting, he'd tell you to honk the horn. Apparently it does mysteriously solve some electrical gremlins - go figure...

Also, a first step is usually resetting the electronic control unit by doing this:

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
doufus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill View Post
If WF alumnus daggo66 was still actively posting, he'd tell you to honk the horn. Apparently it does mysteriously solve some electrical gremlins - go figure...

Also, a first step is usually resetting the electronic control unit by doing this:

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

Thanks for the help.

I will let you know what has been done. First, batt has been changed to a new one. This has been the time the batt was disconnected for at least 20minutes. Did not help. I have crawled under, over and inside the jeep to see if i can find anything loose or broken. Nothing found. I have followed the above links steps to reset the ECU. Did not help. After all that the fault still comes up.

One thing i have noticed is that the cruise control does not work while the fault lights are on. I stated before that it did work, but i was wrong.

The only thing i can think of that is left is a faulty sensor. Looks like i'm in for a trip to the shop. Unless any one else has an idea. Dam it, they always over charge.

Thank you all for the help.
__________________
It's not a car. It's a Jeep
doufus1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by doufus1 View Post
Thanks for the help.

I will let you know what has been done. First, batt has been changed to a new one. This has been the time the batt was disconnected for at least 20minutes. Did not help. I have crawled under, over and inside the jeep to see if i can find anything loose or broken. Nothing found. I have followed the above links steps to reset the ECU. Did not help. After all that the fault still comes up.

One thing i have noticed is that the cruise control does not work while the fault lights are on. I stated before that it did work, but i was wrong.

The only thing i can think of that is left is a faulty sensor. Looks like i'm in for a trip to the shop. Unless any one else has an idea. Dam it, they always over charge.

Thank you all for the help.
You have a bad wheel/speed sensor in one of the four wheels.
Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Insert something witty...

WF Supporting Member
 
ShaunWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 594
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill View Post
If WF alumnus daggo66 was still actively posting, he'd tell you to honk the horn. Apparently it does mysteriously solve some electrical gremlins - go figure...

Also, a first step is usually resetting the electronic control unit by doing this:

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset
I saw daggo66 post the other day, so he must grace us from time to time. Sorry OP, no help here, just came to say that.
__________________
Do not perform any mod for looks alone, mod for function. I promise you if you plan your mods to improve function, you will have a Jeep that "looks" the way you want.

2011 JK- 2.5" TF coil lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quicker Disco sway links, TF Adj Lower Control Arms, Auto w/ 5.13 Yukon gears, 35" KM2's on 15" MB 72's, Axle gusset kit, Body Armor rear bumper and tire carrier, SB M.O.D front bumper and sliders, s.P.O.D, 9000lb Quadratec Winch, Trimmed Flares, Crown Ext. brake lines
ShaunWV is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
bill9274's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 209
I would check your wheel bearings the sensors install into them and if they are starting to go bad the sensor will not read correctly.
bill9274 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 4,004
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

You have a bad wheel/speed sensor in one of the four wheels.
That's what I'm putting my money on also. But to keep someone from getting confused the sensors are not actually in the wheels.

Check the connections on the unit bearings up front and on the speed sensors in the rear(small black wires) OP. It could actually be something that simple.

__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC