Help me choose roof rack for Unlimited hard top - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 78
Help me choose roof rack for Unlimited hard top

Guys, I finally became owner of the Jeep , just picked up today my very own 2010 Unlimited Rubicon with hard top.
First thing I want to put on it is the roof rack.
I was wondering if anyone have an experience with these two racks:

Garvin Industries 44014 - Garvin Industries Sport Series Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec
Garvin Industries 44064 - Garvin Industries Specialty Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec

I like these racks because they are half the roof and don't obstruct the view if I decide to take front panels off of the top.
Of course I like the first one better for the price and it also looks cleaner, however, how much weight can one put on this rack considering that it is plastic top?
Thanks.

SFBayArea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 157
Personally, I avoid racks like the first one that is entirely supported by the roof structure. Although I've occassionally strapped stuff up there (like a fresh cut Xmas tree), the roof is not designed for bearing weight. I also don't like the idea of drilling through the roof because it just invites leaks. The second rack has supports on the body in back but the front appears to be supported by the roof as well, which again, is not a good thing in my opinion. Your conundrum is you want to be able to use the front freedom panels and have a roof rack and I don't know that there are necessarily any options out there making allowance for that and that are supported entirely off roof. If it was me I would look for other options for racks, and focus my attention on those with mounting points on the frame/body of the Jeep. Just my two cents.

Mac2411 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
MBRP JK/JKU RACK !!



Any interest, I'll show more

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
shredd_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ski Lane Ravine, Mn
Posts: 203
Images: 7
Yes I have a lot of interest. seems like a good way to go and the direction i have been leaning. i was nervous about drilling into the top but it look pretty simple. plus it looks like a great place tobe able to lift the top off with a hoist in the garage. how much will sucker hold? do you think i could carry a 80 lb 17 foot canou?
shredd_guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
wlee3372's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: By Ft. Worth
Posts: 107
When I was considering cargo carriers, I wanted to carry bikes, canoe, or some misc. camping stuff. All in all - less than 100 pounds. I was really close to getting the body armor and other full body systems. Considering that those add so much to your Jeep, change your performance and looks of the Jeep. I think you must be very careful with those full body systems or your Jeep will look like a Cadillac with spinners. There are times when those racks really make your Jeep look "beefy" but they can also make your Jeep look "whimpy"!!!

I ended up going with the Yakima A1 rain gutter mounts with 58" cross bars. The main reason is that I can put it on / take it off within 5 minutes. No modification to the Jeep. I can get bike, ski, kayak, cargo boxes, etc to use with it - or just use it to carry stuff from Home Depot.

The one real eye opener when we first put the bars on was the NOISE!!! WOW, it is really loud. I could only imagine that full body system add a good deal of noise.

If you get a system - the further back the better.

I would go with your first selection if those were my only two choices. Yakima has their products in the 4wd magazine (and Quadratec). Check it out online: Yakima 8001616 - YAKIMA Hard Top Roof Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

As you know - the difference is loading. Full body give you uncompromised strength for heavy load factor. Attaching to the hard top only gives you a bit of use and minimal load factor.
__________________
Bat Jeep
wlee3372 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Let me show you this old pic (May 2009) on a sierra camp-



That was about 250 lbs

This just makes it easier to carry the fish boat !!



Here's a guy from the EAST that uses the rack for camping with a RTT and he still takes the "T" tops off !



Quadratec and mbrp.com sells em, not cheap and installation isn't simple-

It takes a lot of time and though-2 people can doit, tough for one

NO NOISE !

I did mine alone and I have RACOR hoist in my garage, but I've only had the top off one time-it's not my favorite way to travel in the DESERT !!

Good luck and right now, they won't fit a 2011 JKU

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
shredd_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ski Lane Ravine, Mn
Posts: 203
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee3372 View Post
When I was considering cargo carriers, I wanted to carry bikes, canoe, or some misc. camping stuff. All in all - less than 100 pounds. I was really close to getting the body armor and other full body systems. Considering that those add so much to your Jeep, change your performance and looks of the Jeep. I think you must be very careful with those full body systems or your Jeep will look like a Cadillac with spinners. There are times when those racks really make your Jeep look "beefy" but they can also make your Jeep look "whimpy"!!!

I ended up going with the Yakima A1 rain gutter mounts with 58" cross bars. The main reason is that I can put it on / take it off within 5 minutes. No modification to the Jeep. I can get bike, ski, kayak, cargo boxes, etc to use with it - or just use it to carry stuff from Home Depot.

The one real eye opener when we first put the bars on was the NOISE!!! WOW, it is really loud. I could only imagine that full body system add a good deal of noise.

If you get a system - the further back the better.

I would go with your first selection if those were my only two choices. Yakima has their products in the 4wd magazine (and Quadratec). Check it out online: Yakima 8001616 - YAKIMA Hard Top Roof Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

As you know - the difference is loading. Full body give you uncompromised strength for heavy load factor. Attaching to the hard top only gives you a bit of use and minimal load factor.
WLEE
I can dig that too..although not as beefy looking its nice and simple and i could take the yakima stuff from my crumbling xj and transfer it to the new rig. so rain gutters? i didnt think there were rain gutters. does it require driling and adhesive?

btw try one of those air deflectors for the wind noise. i have a system like that on our munchin carrier and it howls like the banshy.
shredd_guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 78
Guys, I just called Garvin directly, they told me that both products have weight capacity of 200lb on and off road. I think its pretty decent.
I am really leaning towards first product for its price, clean look and ease of big piece of the roof remove as it is attached to it. However, I wonder if anyone have real experience with it?
SFBayArea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 78
I can't believe nobody actually used this roof rack:
Garvin Industries 44014 - Garvin Industries Sport Series Track Rack for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with Hard Top - Quadratec
SFBayArea is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
Mbrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
Yes I have a lot of interest. seems like a good way to go and the direction i have been leaning. i was nervous about drilling into the top but it look pretty simple. plus it looks like a great place tobe able to lift the top off with a hoist in the garage. how much will sucker hold? do you think i could carry a 80 lb 17 foot canou?
I contacted MBRP directly asking the same question. The response was 300 lbs while in motion, 1,000 lbs in a stationary position.
dakotawolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ocala
Posts: 20
Check out this site. Provisions for a fold out tent, hinges out to form an awning, soft and hard top removal. Not that anyone should put this much load on top a jeep and turn a corner but info says will hold 1000 lbs. WILD BOAR PRODUCTS: Cargo Racks & Accessories for your Jeep Wrangler
__________________
2012 JKUR white
bsps1111 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
BillyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 315
Does the Kargo Master Congo Cage allow you to remove the freedom panels when its installed? Im wondering as it is my upcoming choice in racks to date as it will accept the Yakima cross bars and accessories. Body mount points that allow use with or without the hard top on it. Anyone have this rack?




__________________
.


2012 Orange Crush Sahara 2dr.
BillyPete is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Oglethorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
WLEE
I can dig that too..although not as beefy looking its nice and simple and i could take the yakima stuff from my crumbling xj and transfer it to the new rig. so rain gutters? i didnt think there were rain gutters. does it require driling and adhesive?

btw try one of those air deflectors for the wind noise. i have a system like that on our munchin carrier and it howls like the banshy.
I have the Yakima set from wlee 's link and highly recommend it. Fit and finish is solid and installation, while requiring a pretty good precision level( hole drilling must be EXACT), is not too difficult( even for an un-handy man like me).

As stated before, on the highway, the wind noise is significant. I also looking for some kind of wind deflector to negate that. Any questions let me know.
Oglethorpe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
shredd_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ski Lane Ravine, Mn
Posts: 203
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oglethorpe View Post
I have the Yakima set from wlee 's link and highly recommend it. Fit and finish is solid and installation, while requiring a pretty good precision level( hole drilling must be EXACT), is not too difficult( even for an un-handy man like me).

As stated before, on the highway, the wind noise is significant. I also looking for some kind of wind deflector to negate that. Any questions let me know.
Do think that i could hoist the top off by grabbing on to the cross bars?
shredd_guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Talking Kargo Master

I prefer Kargo Master, as I believe it can be installed w/o drilling into the JEEP! At this point I DO NOT want ti drill hole in the body of my 2012

Kargo Master 5035-1 - Kargo Master Congo Cage for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Oglethorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
Do think that i could hoist the top off by grabbing on to the cross bars?
If I had to guess I would think this will be OK. I think the racks will support 200lbs but none of the paperwork will give a direct load capacity because it depends on the capacity of the shell. The installation is very secure, with each track held in place with at least 4 bolts. But pulling (hoist) on the rig instead of pushing (gravity) on it probably hasn't been considered in any calculation.

If the weight of the hard top is in the 100 lbs ballpark I think you'd be OK. Does anybody know what the JK unlimited hard shell weighs?
Oglethorpe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 189
Gobi gets my vote...with the hardtop you can still remove the Freedom panels and it also works with the soft top. No drilling and you can load 800lbs on it.

Vince1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PVC Roof Rack DougHeffernan JK General Discussion Forum 17 04-18-2012 12:38 PM
Fabricating a Roof Rack shhs97 TJ General Discussion Forum 11 03-12-2011 02:26 PM
Uni-Strut for a Roof Rack System? Six Gun Matt General Jeep Discussion 0 12-03-2010 12:34 PM
roof rack for snowboarding on hardtop? Spunky424 General Jeep Discussion 2 01-06-2010 03:25 PM
Roof Rack Suggestions plz runit3 JK General Discussion Forum 4 09-03-2009 11:49 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC