Help solve a dumb problem. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,058
Help solve a dumb problem.

So last winter, I was cleaning the Jeep, and was detailing the interior. I have the qtec floormats, and was having a bad morning that day. Since it was slightly above freezing, the mats were solid. I wanted to remove it to clean it, but had a hard time removing it, so I went all meatheat on it and ripped the anchor where it was hanging on by a few threads. It lasted until 3 days ago, when it finally gave up with ghost and ripped off. Now the mat slides around. Any idea how I can put the anchor back or keep the mat from sliding around?

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
So last winter, I was cleaning the Jeep, and was detailing the interior. I have the qtec floormats, and was having a bad morning that day. Since it was slightly above freezing, the mats were solid. I wanted to remove it to clean it, but had a hard time removing it, so I went all meatheat on it and ripped the anchor where it was hanging on by a few threads. It lasted until 3 days ago, when it finally gave up with ghost and ripped off. Now the mat slides around. Any idea how I can put the anchor back or keep the mat from sliding around?
How about a small bolt with huge fender washers that goes thru the carpeting thru the hole for the hook? You could secure it with a wingnut so its easily removable. That's the simplest thing I can think of

jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 35,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
So last winter, I was cleaning the Jeep, and was detailing the interior. I have the qtec floormats, and was having a bad morning that day. Since it was slightly above freezing, the mats were solid. I wanted to remove it to clean it, but had a hard time removing it, so I went all meatheat on it and ripped the anchor where it was hanging on by a few threads. It lasted until 3 days ago, when it finally gave up with ghost and ripped off. Now the mat slides around. Any idea how I can put the anchor back or keep the mat from sliding around?
Was probably held in place with an adhesive... Could try JB weld. That stuff will hold anything.
__________________
In perfect Isolation,
Here behind my wall
mackdj1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdj1 View Post
Was probably held in place with an adhesive... Could try JB weld. That stuff will hold anything.
I thought about doing that as well. It is actually just clipped to the carpet, but the 1" square piece of carpet that it was clipped to is now gone. I think I may use a dab of silicone (just so it has a little flex unlike JBweld) and see where it goes. Jeeper06, i thought about doing a bolt, but would really want to avoid drilling into the tub if possible.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 35,426
Silicone might hold for awhile but I don't think it would last long but try it and let us know I've almost ripped mine out a couple times.
__________________
In perfect Isolation,
Here behind my wall
mackdj1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

Jeeper06, i thought about doing a bolt, but would really want to avoid drilling into the tub if possible.
No don't drill into the tub. Just poke it thru the carpet, bolt it down with 2 fender washers on either side(you can even get 2" diameter ones if you want) then drill a new hole in the mat since the old one won't work as the carpet is ripped up

Or how about a little piece of rope to tie it to the base of the seat or zip tie it back there. It'll prevent foreword motion of the mat
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
IBgeocaching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Duluth MN
Posts: 235
I hate those hooks. I`ve enlarged the hole on the mat and still fight to get them out, scattering all debris on the mat in the process. And all my snow melt goes through the hole also. My hook is barely hanging on on one side and have thought of ending it for it. Thought of Velcro to hold the mats, maybe sew the carpet side piece down or a couple of pop rivets. Been looking to see if others have removed the hooks and what they did.
IBgeocaching is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
No don't drill into the tub. Just poke it thru the carpet, bolt it down with 2 fender washers on either side(you can even get 2" diameter ones if you want) then drill a new hole in the mat since the old one won't work as the carpet is ripped up

Or how about a little piece of rope to tie it to the base of the seat or zip tie it back there. It'll prevent foreword motion of the mat
I ripped that section of carpet out by accident.

It looks like this where the anchor is supposed to be....
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

I ripped that section of carpet out by accident.

It looks like this where the anchor is supposed to be....
Lol. No I was saying make a new anchor point to the left or right if that spot. You'd just have to poke a bolt thru the carpet of a new spot and then drill a matching hole thru the floor mat at that new spot. Since there isn't a hook, it should be easier to remove than the old hook.

If a huge chunk of carpet is gone this would make it tough. I thought it was a little patch tho
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
Lol. No I was saying make a new anchor point to the left or right if that spot. You'd just have to poke a bolt thru the carpet of a new spot and then drill a matching hole thru the floor mat at that new spot. Since there isn't a hook, it should be easier to remove than the old hook.

If a huge chunk of carpet is gone this would make it tough. I thought it was a little patch tho
It is, but the qtec mat has the cutout at that exact 1" square that's missing. I guess I'll just make a new slit 1" over and call it a day.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

It is, but the qtec mat has the cutout at that exact 1" square that's missing. I guess I'll just make a new slit 1" over and call it a day.
If you do, use a drill, not a knife. A cut can spread and get larger, but the drill bit should be a cleaner cut and hopefully won't split.

Maybe a bunch of the hooked part of Velcro on the bottom would work? It might cling to the carpet enough to hold it
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 35,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
If you do, use a drill, not a knife. A cut can spread and get larger, but the drill bit should be a cleaner cut and hopefully won't split.

Maybe a bunch of the hooked part of Velcro on the bottom would work? It might cling to the carpet enough to hold it
I like the velcro idea
__________________
In perfect Isolation,
Here behind my wall
mackdj1 is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
If you do, use a drill, not a knife. A cut can spread and get larger, but the drill bit should be a cleaner cut and hopefully won't split.

Maybe a bunch of the hooked part of Velcro on the bottom would work? It might cling to the carpet enough to hold it
Good advice. I will try velcro first. Thanks for the tip!

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC