Help with Leveling Kit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PaleoDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 139
Help with Leveling Kit

I do not know much about lift kits and do not really have any plans to add one (at this time anyway) but I have been thinking about one of the leveling kits and was looking for suggestions. I have a 2014 Unlimited Sport with the S package, 3.21 gears and stock wheels. I plan to upgrade the wheels, prefer the black rims to the stock ones and maybe 32 inch tires.

Would a leveling kit improve off road handling at all or is it really just for looks? Any recommendations?

Thanks

__________________


I am happiest in my Jeep...
PaleoDan is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Nuke83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW of Atlanta
Posts: 769
Doesn't really do anything for handling. Typically provides small lift and removes the factory rake. Mostly cosmetic or can allow for up to 33" tires without issue.

Various types of leveling kits available. Some use spacers (pucks) and others use springs or combination of springs & spacers.

Some do feel that improved springs give some improved handling, but that becomes significantly more noticeable as the size of lift increases.

I put the Teraflex leveling kit (about $150) which has 2" spacers for front and 1" spacer for rear, so you get that lift on each end providing a slightly lifted Jeep with more level stance.

I've been very pleased with the kit. I have pretty much the same setup as your Jeep.

Also, a quick and cheap way to get the black wheels you want now is to plastidip your stock wheels. Costs about $6/can and would take 5 cans to do all 5 wheels. Very easy if you're not familiar with it and you can always peel the dip off if you don't like it or want to go back to silver wheels.

Nuke83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PaleoDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 139
Nuke83 - I really appreciate the information. I will check that kit out.

I did purchase a can of PlastiDip and tried it out on my antenna and a chrome hitch plug I have. Covered pretty well. I am not sure I am ready to try and paint the wheels yet but maybe when it warms up a bit.

Thanks
__________________


I am happiest in my Jeep...
PaleoDan is offline   Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 5,430
A leveling can make it possible to add slightly larger tires which usually improves your off road capabilities. Raising your Jeep will impact handling and not by improving it.

The leveling kit is a mild modification so you should notice any major handling changes unless you are a stickler for understeer/oversteer bias.
__________________
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."
B. B.
spinlock is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Newb
 
TJ0116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
How much were installation costs for the TF leveling kit?
TJ0116 is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ0116 View Post
How much were installation costs for the TF leveling kit?
A buddy of mine is doing it for 200. Called around all the places I know before him and all said 450-480. Not including the alignment after.
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Nuke83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW of Atlanta
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ0116 View Post
How much were installation costs for the TF leveling kit?
I did it myself in my garage. Took a few hours, but I really took my time and had a couple of interruptions along the way. Not difficult to do if you have a few tools and read up in advance.

A shop with experience and a lift should be able to do front and rear in 2 hours tops.
Nuke83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 4,513
Just ignore me, I need coffee.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Front & Rear Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
UgaTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,026
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ0116 View Post
How much were installation costs for the TF leveling kit?
Get your hands dirty!!! If you are going to own a Jeep the best thing you can do is get under there and learn. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, go to several local Jeep events and tell someone you will buy them pizza and beer if they come help. Most Jeepers love to get underneath them and do work like that. Most Jeepers also like helping folks learn about their vehicle. A spacer kit isn't that hard and is a great kit to DIY.
__________________
2013 JKUR BLACK
UgaTyler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
UgaTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,026
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
A buddy of mine is doing it for 200. Called around all the places I know before him and all said 450-480. Not including the alignment after.
I can't believe a friend is charging you. Friends help friends...atleast they should. Pizza and beer should be the payment.
__________________
2013 JKUR BLACK
UgaTyler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
UgaTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,026
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDan View Post
I do not know much about lift kits and do not really have any plans to add one (at this time anyway) but I have been thinking about one of the leveling kits and was looking for suggestions. I have a 2014 Unlimited Sport with the S package, 3.21 gears and stock wheels. I plan to upgrade the wheels, prefer the black rims to the stock ones and maybe 32 inch tires.

Would a leveling kit improve off road handling at all or is it really just for looks? Any recommendations?

Thanks
If you put the leveling kit on I'd go with 33" tires. Teraflex performance leveling kit runs about $389 on quadratec. I know you can find it cheaper other places if you search. This is a coil leveling kit and not the pucks and you will probably see a little bit of improvement off road with this type of leveling kit.
__________________
2013 JKUR BLACK
UgaTyler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
tripcopeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 27
I just installed the teraflex leveling kit on my 14 Unlimited Sport. I had a friend that owns a local repair shop install it. He had one of his new mechanics do the install as it was a simple job. He charged me two hours labor for the install. I am very pleased with the look of the kit. The Jeep feels a little bit taller but the change is not noticed by anybody except me and the guy that installed it. It has decreased my fuel economy by 1-2mpg. Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the look you will get.



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	721073  
tripcopeland is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaTyler View Post
I can't believe a friend is charging you. Friends help friends...atleast they should. Pizza and beer should be the payment.
He's more of a buddy than a friend. He works at DT and I purchased wheels and tires from them and he's a fellow jeeper so he wanted to give me a better deal on installments than other places.. Which he did!
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
UgaTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,026
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripcopeland View Post
I just installed the teraflex leveling kit on my 14 Unlimited Sport. I had a friend that owns a local repair shop install it. He had one of his new mechanics do the install as it was a simple job. He charged me two hours labor for the install. I am very pleased with the look of the kit. The Jeep feels a little bit taller but the change is not noticed by anybody except me and the guy that installed it. It has decreased my fuel economy by 1-2mpg. Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the look you will get.



I can't believe that the leveling kit alone would drop the MPG by 1-2. Did you add tires or anything else? I've lifted mine and added a lot of heavy stuff including wheels and tires and have only lost around 2 MPG.
__________________
2013 JKUR BLACK
UgaTyler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
tripcopeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaTyler View Post
I can't believe that the leveling kit alone would drop the MPG by 1-2. Did you add tires or anything else? I've lifted mine and added a lot of heavy stuff including wheels and tires and have only lost around 2 MPG.

I added the Rubicon wheels and tires at the same time.
tripcopeland is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Nuke83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW of Atlanta
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripcopeland View Post
I added the Rubicon wheels and tires at the same time.
The tires ate your mileage. I still have the Stock Bridgestones on mine that I'll replace when their bare. My TF Leveling Kit didn't affect my mileage at all.

You went from an AT to an MT.
Nuke83 is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
UgaTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 1,026
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke83 View Post
The tires ate your mileage. I still have the Stock Bridgestones on mine that I'll replace when their bare. My TF Leveling Kit didn't affect my mileage at all.

You went from an AT to an MT.
x2
__________________
2013 JKUR BLACK
UgaTyler is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Bubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 108
Just FYI some of us have had good results using the 10A springs and shocks as a leveling kit. If you look at the 10A jeeps they sit more level than others and have unique spring part numbers. I put these on my 13 Unlimited Sport S and got the mild lift I was after. Springs and shocks only cost me $150 from local Craigslist ad.

You can find more info here:
10A spring discussion

Best of luck and I hope you end up turning some wrenches on your Jeep! These things are very easy and rewarding to work on compared with other suspension work I've done.
Bubb is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PaleoDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 139
Great information all. I really appreciate the feedback.

Tripcopeland - I have the same Anvil Jeep that you have minus the leveling kit and Rubi Wheels - looks great!

I have seen the 10A kits for sale on craigslist but had not thought of that - I will check into it.

Thanks All
PaleoDan is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Newb
 
Alleghenyhightest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Warren
Posts: 10
Just ordered my first jeep.
I'm considering lifting after a few years once I get used to it.
Getting conflicting accounts from friends about a 'leaviling kit'
Could someone explain what I have to gain by having it done?

Ordered: Rubi - 2 dr - manual

Thanks in advance for any help.
Alleghenyhightest is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
VansMudder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamilton Ontario Canada
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleghenyhightest View Post
Just ordered my first jeep.
I'm considering lifting after a few years once I get used to it.
Getting conflicting accounts from friends about a 'leaviling kit'
Could someone explain what I have to gain by having it done?

Ordered: Rubi - 2 dr - manual

Thanks in advance for any help.
Allows for larger tires 33's and gets rid of the ugly factory rake.

You can go with 33's on the JK without any lifting at all and it'll be fine on pavement, but if you go off road you are likely to get fender rubbing with any wheel articulation.
VansMudder is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
Newb
 
Alleghenyhightest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Warren
Posts: 10
Thanks for the info

Alleghenyhightest is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC