Help with Tuffy Center Console Insert installation - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Help with Tuffy Center Console Insert installation

I'm about to install the Security Console Insert #276 in my 2013 Sahara JKU. The first step is to remove the rear console panel. What do I do with the power window switches that are mounted on that panel? Remove them first or just leave them there when removing the panel?

Also there's a small button-like piece below the switches that sticks out -- what is that?

Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Bump

Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Got the answer from Tuffy. For future reference, you can leave the window switches in and just pull off the panel -- but not too far or you'll yank out the switch wires.
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
I've been eyeing that Tuffy center console as well. If you don't mind, could you post your impression and maybe a pic or 2 after it's done?
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 119
Just my opinion here and no offense Postmon....... I would stay away from the center console and glove box security options - Here's why.
Two things that almost every vehicle has is a glove box and center console. If a thief jumps in your jeep and finds either of these two locked, Tuffy or not, they are going after it. In the process, they are likely to break much more than the insert, including the center console, dash, power accessories, etc. and causing hundreds of dollars in repair.
I personally leave both of these things wide open, along with my doors, and there is nothing in there except a the registration paperwork, phone charger, some breath mints, a flashlight and some cheap sunglasses.
However, I do have both the driver and passenger Tuffy under-seat boxes that have my valuable items, including the wheel locks, nice sunglasses, multitool, some non-essential membership cards and the such, and occasionally my .45. In my opinion, those boxes are not as easily noticed or even known about, and if they decide to pry these open, there really isn't much around it as it is a self-contained unit and not latched on to anything other than the seat bolts. Sure, maybe their screwdriver could do some damage to the seat cushion, but hey, that's a reason for some new/better seat covers. My opinion is that the under seat boxes are a much better solution and less likely to cause more damage to the surrounding area if they are jacked-up.
RhettS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
^ I hear your logic. It's just the under seat box is pretty limited volumetrically speaking, compared to the center console. I've read similar arguments against hood locks....a thief going bananas trying to pry open a locked hood.
I figure the lock will keep most opportunists away. A determined thief will get it, maybe doing damage in the process, but he'll look conspicuous as hell in the process.
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 119
Have you seen those under-seat boxes in person? I would say either one is larger than the center console in sheer volume. You'll have to check it out next time we're out at the trails.
RhettS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,874
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettS View Post
Just my opinion here and no offense Postmon....... I would stay away from the center console and glove box security options - Here's why.
Two things that almost every vehicle has is a glove box and center console. If a thief jumps in your jeep and finds either of these two locked, Tuffy or not, they are going after it. In the process, they are likely to break much more than the insert, including the center console, dash, power accessories, etc. and causing hundreds of dollars in repair.
I personally leave both of these things wide open, along with my doors, and there is nothing in there except a the registration paperwork, phone charger, some breath mints, a flashlight and some cheap sunglasses.
However, I do have both the driver and passenger Tuffy under-seat boxes that have my valuable items, including the wheel locks, nice sunglasses, multitool, some non-essential membership cards and the such, and occasionally my .45. In my opinion, those boxes are not as easily noticed or even known about, and if they decide to pry these open, there really isn't much around it as it is a self-contained unit and not latched on to anything other than the seat bolts. Sure, maybe their screwdriver could do some damage to the seat cushion, but hey, that's a reason for some new/better seat covers. My opinion is that the under seat boxes are a much better solution and less likely to cause more damage to the surrounding area if they are jacked-up.
I agree....

There is nothing useful in my center console and glove box. Pen, paper, tire pressure gauge, napkins, a pair of cheap earbuds, owners manual, registration, some Halls, maybe some gum, coupons, a USB cord for my phone, and an I-pass (For Illinois tolls, you would have to be an idiot to steal one and use it since it would mark where you were at). There is probably 30 cents in change in the cupholders.

My Swiss Army Knife, nicer LED flashlight, and other stuff are in the Tuffy underseat box. Bigger stuff can go in the trunk enclosure if I'm worried about it in a shady location (fire extinguisher, roadside emergency kit, ect...)

The Tuffy opens up further than the Bestop.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
No offense taken. You're probably right. I was debating between which box to go for and just didn't want to deal with the seat bolt and moving the wires underneath.

In the meantime, here are some pics of the center console insert. Very solid and easy to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-25 15.04.13.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	277328   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-25 15.04.34.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	277329  

Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettS View Post
Have you seen those under-seat boxes in person? I would say either one is larger than the center console in sheer volume. You'll have to check it out next time we're out at the trails.
I've had one under my driver's side seat for the past year. IIRC it's from bestop, but I'd have to check on that
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW6ER View Post
I've had one under my driver's side seat for the past year. IIRC it's from bestop, but I'd have to check on that
Check out the drawer dimensions - I think the Tuffy is a bit larger, but I could be wrong.
RhettS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,874
Images: 13
For some reason, I was thinking of this thread was about this part:


I don't like that part at all....as it screams "tear me open". The center console lock isn't so bad...but can it be yanked/kicked out?
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Proud Wrangler Owner

WF Supporting Member
 
sunnykk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
The center console lock isn't so bad...but can it be yanked/kicked out?
It would be very hard if you installed the optional bolt that goes through the rear of the center console to the back side.
__________________
Sunny K
2012 JKU SportS Black Forest Green (01/13/2012)
Check out my Jeep Profile for pics/info on my mods
sunnykk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Thanks guys, now I'm now having 2nd thoughts about it. If you look at the photo, I can see a thief wedging a screwdriver between the insert and console then breaking the console apart. Hmmm.....
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 119
Sorry

I went through all the ways a dirtbag could screw my Jeep up when I finally settled on the under-seat boxes. They just seemed to be the best option for me. The Tuffy security deck/box for the back storage area is probably the only thing I might get going forward. I haven't seen the need for it yet with the two under-seat boxes, but I'm not usually carrying anything that big.
RhettS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Questions about under seat drawer...I don't have carpet and was wondering if this would cause rattling? Does the drawer itself rattle?? I'm assuming the rear of the box sits on the floor of the Jeep.
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marietta, Ga and Edisto Island, SC
Posts: 48
I have the under-seat box and it doesn't rattle at all. (but I do have carpet) I can confirm that the drawer doesn't rattle within the box, but can't confirm whether the box would rattle against the (uncarpeted) floor towards the rear. You can bolt the rear of it down through the floor if you're concerned about that. I only used the seat-mount bolts to secure mine, but there is a provision for also bolting it to the floor as I recall.
MrMurph is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
Merry Christmas all

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Beastmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Old Pubelo
Posts: 24,895
I have several of the Tuffy products in my JKU and for the most part, am very happy with all of them. Sorry for the long post but I thought I'd give my reviews on the items I have.

As far as the full center console goes, even if I leave it unlocked, it has features that, for me, make it worth buying.
To begin with, it's uber tough, it's slightly larger than stock for more room and has a taller padded arm rest. It has a 12v "cigarette lighter" port inside and I have installed my Cobra CB inside and fits like a glove. Even the front cup holders are in better positions. I don't have power windows but there are ports for the switches.
In addition to the OEM screws to secure it down, I installed the optional bolts that go through the body from the bottom of the box.

I hear what you are saying about thieves, I leave my top and doors off as much as I can. I don't lock it 100% of the time but I like the idea of slowing them down when I do. I don't leave in a bad neighborhood and if I park someplace during the day, I think it would be pretty obvious for people to see someone with a crow bar inside my rig.

I also have the full rear enclosure and it is one of the best mods I have done. I'm now able leave larger things in the Jeep without fear of them being stolen. I only have a soft top so even with it up, I still needed some security. It also has the advantage that I can take the top and front parts off so I still fold the back seats down and have a large space for hauling things.

I've even installed the cover for my stereo. I hear what's been said about it bringing more attention for thieves, but I use it mainly to protect the head unit from the elements, particularly on the trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3970.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	282799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4362.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	282800  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4454.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	282805  
Beastmaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmon View Post
Thanks guys, now I'm now having 2nd thoughts about it. If you look at the photo, I can see a thief wedging a screwdriver between the insert and console then breaking the console apart. Hmmm.....
I'm thinking the console insert will be plenty for me since I never park the Jeep during daily life where its exposed to many people that would have much time. 95% of the time, I'm at my apt. or work. Daily life errands, I've never had a problem with what I have now so the Tuffy would be bulletproof for my purposes.
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
jt5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boulder
Posts: 163
The center console lockbox seems to be the best option for those of us that can't install the under the seat box (fol and tumble seats). Just ordered mine.
jt5280 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Any rattling from the console insert??
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5280 View Post
The center console lockbox seems to be the best option for those of us that can't install the under the seat box (fol and tumble seats). Just ordered mine.
From where??
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasJKU View Post
Any rattling from the console insert??
Haven't had any rattling.
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmon View Post
Haven't had any rattling.
Still happy with yours??
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
Yes, it does what it's supposed to do. Some considerations:

1. You need to permanently remove the shallow top tray that comes with the OEM console. I never really used it so it didn't bother me.

2. When both the armrest and tuffy lid are open, you need to close the tuffy first then the armrest. Sometimes I automatically close the armrest first and the tuffy lid gets jammed and may scratch up the underside of the armrest. It's not a big deal just a little nuisance.

3. I keep both the jeep and tuffy key on the same key chain. Sometimes I start the jeep then have to pull over and turn off the engine if I need something from the locked console. Just have to remember to unlock it first.
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmon View Post
Yes, it does what it's supposed to do. Some considerations:

1. You need to permanently remove the shallow top tray that comes with the OEM console. I never really used it so it didn't bother me.

2. When both the armrest and tuffy lid are open, you need to close the tuffy first then the armrest. Sometimes I automatically close the armrest first and the tuffy lid gets jammed and may scratch up the underside of the armrest. It's not a big deal just a little nuisance.

3. I keep both the jeep and tuffy key on the same key chain. Sometimes I start the jeep then have to pull over and turn off the engine if I need something from the locked console. Just have to remember to unlock it first.
#3 is the same for stock also. I'm ok with losing the shallow tray. Don't use it either. Actually find it annoying. Did you drill the extra security holes??
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
I did drill the extra security holes. Only issue was that I didn't have a small enough drill to drill from the inside. I drilled from the outside making some tiny pilot holes until I found the right location.
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmon View Post
I did drill the extra security holes. Only issue was that I didn't have a small enough drill to drill from the inside. I drilled from the outside making some tiny pilot holes until I found the right location.
What are u actually drilling into?? The tub of the Jeep?
__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 174
There are two holes in the back of the Tuffy insert. You drill two holes in the original plastic console in the same location as the Tuffy and then connect the two with a nut and bolt. You then cover it up by snapping the rear piece of the console back on.
Postmon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
DallasJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmon View Post
There are two holes in the back of the Tuffy insert. You drill two holes in the original plastic console in the same location as the Tuffy and then connect the two with a nut and bolt. You then cover it up by snapping the rear piece of the console back on.
And that's enough security to keep people out in your opinion??

__________________
My new Baja Yellow build:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fr...n-1004097.html
DallasJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC