Hey guys! New JK Wrangler questions. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Hey guys! New JK Wrangler questions.

So bought my first wrangler. Few questions now that summer is getting close.

When i take off the hardtop what do i do for doors? riding around with full doors on and no top just doesnt seem right. What is recommended for half doors on a budget? What about side mirrors?

Second question i want to put new rims and tires on it also. Ive pretty much settled on the Mickey Thompson MT-28 steel rims. pretty sure the JK lugnut pattern is 5(please correct me if im wrong)
So what size tire do i go with? I have the 3.73 gearing. I dont plan on lifting, would like a slighting more aggressive look but it will also be a daily driver.

thoughts?

JeffreyM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
m25red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyM
So bought my first wrangler. Few questions now that summer is getting close.

When i take off the hardtop what do i do for doors? riding around with full doors on and no top just doesnt seem right. What is recommended for half doors on a budget? What about side mirrors?

Second question i want to put new rims and tires on it also. Ive pretty much settled on the Mickey Thompson MT-28 steel rims. pretty sure the JK lugnut pattern is 5(please correct me if im wrong)
So what size tire do i go with? I have the 3.73 gearing. I dont plan on lifting, would like a slighting more aggressive look but it will also be a daily driver.

thoughts?
Can't help much with the doors but you could always take them off. That's what we do although I don't mind the full doors.
Lug pattern is 5x5.
The 2012's and up have the stronger engine so you have some flexibility there. Without a lift I would go with 33's. You should have plenty of room with little to no rubbing. Anything bigger opens up a can of worms. Regear, prob need a lift, drop the 30 upfront or sleeves and such. Stick with the 33's like I mentioned and get some Duratracs......really good DD tire from all I have heard. I will be doing the same but with a 2.5 and some 315/70/17's in the next couple of weeks.
Good luck!

m25red is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
what are your thoughts on rim size? will 33 look ok on 15s? or should i go to 16s?
JeffreyM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
The vast majority of steel wheels in the 15" size won't fit over your brake calipers. Most of the 15" alloy wheels will, though.

And like m25 said, you can just take your doors off when you remove the roof. That's what most folks do.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
The vast majority of steel wheels in the 15" size won't fit over your brake calipers. Most of the 15" alloy wheels will, though.

And like m25 said, you can just take your doors off when you remove the roof. That's what most folks do.

ok will goin up to 16s fit? or is it just a "steel rim" thing?
JeffreyM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyM View Post

ok will goin up to 16s fit? or is it just a "steel rim" thing?
16" steelies will always fit
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
16" steelies will always fit
^^ Yup.

Also, pertaining to doors, you can always buy half doors (which are $$$), or run rock doors. I run Body Armor rock doors in summer...started out as a way to keep the munchkins "caged" in the Jeep, but I liked it enough that I run em now whenever my hard doors are off.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
m25red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

^^ Yup.

Also, pertaining to doors, you can always buy half doors (which are $$$), or run rock doors. I run Body Armor rock doors in summer...started out as a way to keep the munchkins "caged" in the Jeep, but I liked it enough that I run em now whenever my hard doors are off.
Love those doors. That Jeep is a thing of beauty. How do you like the Duratracs?
m25red is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 898
I'll put Bestop's 2-piece soft doors on in a few days and won't put the hard doors back on until sometime late next Fall.
__________________
2013 JKUR softtop - Photos here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-...on-202906.html
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon - Sold 10/31/12
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Fellows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
I'll put Bestop's 2-piece soft doors on in a few days and won't put the hard doors back on until sometime late next Fall.
I'm looking at buying these soon. How do you like them?
Fellows is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 898
I haven't installed them yet...just took them out of the boxes yesterday. They look great so far. I've been busy installing a sub/amp combo for the last couple of days. I bought the 2-piece doors because they will give me the freedom to go from full door to half door or to no doors at all (and back) on a whim...storing the pieces in the rear of the jeep. I will probably install them toward the end of next week...just have to get them on by Jeep Safari which starts the 23rd.
__________________
2013 JKUR softtop - Photos here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-...on-202906.html
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon - Sold 10/31/12
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by m25red View Post
Love those doors. That Jeep is a thing of beauty. How do you like the Duratracs?
They rock, for the way I use em. Mine are E-rated (the 16" size), so they're a little heavier than the other DTs, with a thicker sidewall. Also a little harsher on-road, but that's what I like.

So far, I haven't been able to slow them down. Snow, mud, sand...even when I'm on the ice on Lake Winnebago, they get decent traction.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC