Hi-Lift MOD - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
jb3rry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 202
Hi-Lift MOD

Well started my MOD for my Hi-Lift. Still have some finishing touches to put on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	34526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	34527  


jb3rry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Well, congrads on the work, but

It's outside, instead of inside, should rattle a lot, looks like it could be stolen easy and You appear to have the BASE locked, but I haven't had good luck with those Key hitch locks, especially exposed like that--

JIMBO

__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well, congrads on the work, but

It's outside, instead of inside
JIMBO
Gotta agree with Jimbo.
A Hi-Lift is a tricky piece of equipment that can either save your hide or give you a lobotomy. The care and feeding of it suggests indoor housing ---- both for security of the product and keeping it in top running order.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jb3rry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well, congrads on the work, but

It's outside, instead of inside, should rattle a lot, looks like it could be stolen easy and You appear to have the BASE locked, but I haven't had good luck with those Key hitch locks, especially exposed like that--

JIMBO
Doesn't rattle at all. I have rubber mounted to the bracket base. The top is screwed down tight enough that it really has no movement at all.

I agree about the lock, it was what I had handy and am looking at getting a different type.

The only issue i have is if you take the cotter pin out of base and unscrew the top then you can walk off with it. So I made the bracket so that there isn't enough room for the pin to come out easily. though still possible.

I figure for the time it will take someone to get it off they will probably just still the jeep lol

Version 1. So i will still make a change or two :-)
jb3rry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,856
Hi Lift now has a pretty slick little neoprene boot that does a fair job of keeping the weather of the workings. Run mine in the horizonal position on my OR-Fab swing-away. It has survived a year of Cali weather and a year of wet and damp WA. Only a bit of fading to shoe for it.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Scooter_Trash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj View Post
Hi Lift now has a pretty slick little neoprene boot that does a fair job of keeping the weather of the workings. Run mine in the horizonal position on my OR-Fab swing-away. It has survived a year of Cali weather and a year of wet and damp WA. Only a bit of fading to shoe for it.


__________________
'07 JK Sahara
Find the Kansas City JKOwners on facebook
Scooter_Trash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Mine has survived18 years and I've always stored it like this in my jeep !!



It's gone thru this jeep/Nissan Xterra/Ford ranger (2), a little shot of WD and shes good to go--no fade-just scratchs--

My old one is in my garage and it's faded, but still works fine-

I show my HiLifts the outside world, when I usem !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
jb3rry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Mine has survived18 years and I've always stored it like this in my jeep !!



It's gone thru this jeep/Nissan Xterra/Ford ranger (2), a little shot of WD and shes good to go--no fade-just scratchs--

My old one is in my garage and it's faded, but still works fine-

I show my HiLifts the outside world, when I usem !!

JIMBO
I have kids so the inside isnt the best place for me. I was looking at mounting to the top (back) of the role bar (Forgot who made the bracket for it) but it says you have to take off when lowering or raising the top.

My other option was across the back by the tailgate but then i would have to take off and on again for various reasons.

Here in TX the standard seems to be across the hood, under the back bumper or on a custom bumper\swing gate. the first two i dont like and I dont have the 3rd yet.
jb3rry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, everybody should have kids,--


Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3rry View Post
I have kids so the inside isnt the best place for me. I was looking at mounting to the top (back) of the role bar (Forgot who made the bracket for it) but it says you have to take off when lowering or raising the top.

My other option was across the back by the tailgate but then i would have to take off and on again for various reasons.

Here in TX the standard seems to be across the hood, under the back bumper or on a custom bumper\swing gate. the first two i dont like and I dont have the 3rd yet.
I've had 4(kids) -anyway, I used to carry my HiLift under the rear seats in my Xterra and another jeeper does the same in his JK, you may have to pull the cotter pin and remove the "foot", but thats another option-

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Scooter_Trash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I've had 4(kids) -anyway, I used to carry my HiLift under the rear seats in my Xterra and another jeeper does the same in his JK, you may have to pull the cotter pin and remove the "foot", but thats another option-
That's where I keep mine. Keeps it clean and dry and I don't have to unbolt anything when I need it. The only downside is i have to remember to pull it out when I put the seats down.
__________________
'07 JK Sahara
Find the Kansas City JKOwners on facebook
Scooter_Trash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh,yea I remember guys asking me how long it took to getit out to use it and I'd say "a hell of a lot less time than it takes to climbup and unbolt it from an overhead rack, or unlock/unbolt from a hood/carrie" !!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
That's where I keep mine. Keeps it clean and dry and I don't have to unbolt anything when I need it. The only downside is i have to remember to pull it out when I put the seats down.

It's a jungle out there-

JIMBO

__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lift question Beaver5 YJ Tech Forum 9 02-08-2011 11:06 PM
Lift Setup - New Thread DocG2828 TJ General Discussion Forum 57 10-09-2010 12:21 PM
Shackle Lift with 4" lift question grk YJ Tech Forum 3 06-17-2010 09:49 PM
Can U Add a Standard Lift to a Budget Lift? CNTLOSE JK General Discussion Forum 6 05-02-2009 09:12 AM
Body lift or no body lift?? savinlives2448 TJ Tech Forum 8 03-23-2009 10:38 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC