HID Projector before and after - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
drev500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
HID Projector before and after

So I finally got some before and afters last night of my HID projector retrofit. For those of you who didn't see the last thread, I am running 35 watt 4300K lights with a Morimoto Mini H1's projector.

So the first three pictures are the halogen and are as follows: low beam, low/fog, and high beam. The last two are the projector: low beam and high beam. Running low beam and fogs makes no difference on the camera. In person, you could barely tell they are one. I find myself now second guessing whether the fogs are on or not and I have to look at the cluster to see if they are on (I always turned them on out of habit before the retrofit).

I took these pictures with my Galaxy S5 so that them for what they are worth. I don't know if the pictures accurately portray the improvement but it is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15 09.54.57.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1394658   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15 09.55.40.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1394666  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15 09.56.11.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1394674   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15 09.54.04.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1394682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15 09.53.28.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1394690  

drev500 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
Hands down the best light output! And this is with 35w ballast. I agree about never using my fogs anymore with the HID set up. But, I'm adding hid fogs tomorrow, so that may change. I'm keeping the stock housing for now and may consider going to a projector fog light in the future. Dave (NFRs2000NYC) has the same setup and hopefully he chimes in on this thread.

__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
drev500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
I want to do the same to match up the lights and gain some more output. Although I may just say screw it and do projectors down there since I would rather do it once and be happy.
drev500 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by landi jeep View Post
Hands down the best light output! And this is with 35w ballast. I agree about never using my fogs anymore with the HID set up. But, I'm adding hid fogs tomorrow, so that may change. I'm keeping the stock housing for now and may consider going to a projector fog light in the future. Dave (NFRs2000NYC) has the same setup and hopefully he chimes in on this thread.
Fogs lights don't do much to begin with, but they are even more important with projectors on high vehicles.. The light doesn't hit the ground for a good 5-10 feet in front of the jeep and the fogs will put light in that area when it is foggy so you can see the lines in the road.. The low output of fogs lights and color is what makes them working fogs... increasing output and a more white color temp will take away that function by reflecting more light off of fog... just keep that in mind.. Yes, it doesn't look that good having HID's + halogen fogs, but its the most useful setup.. I usually use a yellow bulb for my fogs like the nokya bulbs to get rid of the halogen looking color temp..
JackDaWack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaWack View Post
Fogs lights don't do much to begin with, but they are even more important with projectors on high vehicles.. The light doesn't hit the ground for a good 5-10 feet in front of the jeep and the fogs will put light in that area when it is foggy so you can see the lines in the road.. The low output of fogs lights and color is what makes them working fogs... increasing output and a more white color temp will take away that function by reflecting more light off of fog... just keep that in mind.. Yes, it doesn't look that good having HID's + halogen fogs, but its the most useful setup.. I usually use a yellow bulb for my fogs like the nokya bulbs to get rid of the halogen looking color temp..
There should be a like button for some posts. But your spot on. My intention for the fogs is to throw the light on the ground directly in front of the jeep. I'll be using 2700k color with 35w ballast. Hope to have some pics up tomorrow evening.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cornjerker Country
Posts: 221
That is an amazing difference. I didn't see your other thread, but I'll search for it. Do you get flashed from oncoming drivers?
Elwood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
joeg679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
That is an amazing difference. I didn't see your other thread, but I'll search for it. Do you get flashed from oncoming drivers?
I'm wondering the same thing. Seems like they may blind oncoming traffic, but I could be wrong. They definitely look nice, though
joeg679 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Greyhoundman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ofallon, Mo
Posts: 33
Is it possible to get a picture of the HID's in the same spot as the stock for a more direct comparison?
Greyhoundman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
Does any vehicle equipped with OEM projectors get flashed? No. The key is to familiarize yourself with color temperature. You want to stay within natural light. 4300-6000k

Anything over that will get you unwanted attention.

If you look at projectors head on, they don't through the light everywhere. They "project" a certain beam pattern with a very level cut off. People often brag how accurate their cut off level is.
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,268
comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundman View Post
Is it possible to get a picture of the HID's in the same spot as the stock for a more direct comparison?



hid
__________________
2014 Anvil JKU Mutt
landi jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 3,366
The projectors are the best option for focusing the HID and LED light sources. They should not blind any oncoming traffic if adjusted correctly or create artifacts, unlike HID bulbs in stock housings.

__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC