High-performing Stock Headlamp Replacement - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
High-performing Stock Headlamp Replacement

Hi ya'll!
I have a 2014 JKUR on order! Many forum users have suggested I replace the stock headlamps (just the lamps, not the housings, right?) with some higher-performing ones as soon as I take delivery. So, here I am looking for suggestions.

I currently run Sylvania SilverStar's in my 2001 Grand, and have been happy with the performance.

I am looking at Sylvania's H13/9008 SilverStar ULTRA, thinking I should maybe step it up for the new rig? Remember, I'm just looking for driving lights, not stadium lighting... These seem like a nice upgrade for less than $30. Thoughts?

Oh, and it'll be a while before I have a new front bumper to add additional lights to, so don't go down that road just yet...

Thanks for your comments!

mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
WhiskeyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 854
Congrats on the new rig! There are several threads on this topic, see below for a couple. I think the summary is that they are better than stock, but marginally. But as mentioned, the price is great.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/syl...ts-218098.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/syl...bs-238211.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/sylv...tar-79773.html

Broader threads -
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/is-...et-206289.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jk-...ts-118237.html

There is a comprehensive writeup comparing upgrade bulbs, and about 5-6 others including LED and HID with photos before and after. I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it.

You might want to look at the before and after photos to determine if it's worth getting the bulbs or waiting to purchase something better.

WhiskeyMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebot View Post
Hi ya'll!
I have a 2014 JKUR on order! Many forum users have suggested I replace the stock headlamps (just the lamps, not the housings, right?) with some higher-performing ones as soon as I take delivery. So, here I am looking for suggestions.

I currently run Sylvania SilverStar's in my 2001 Grand, and have been happy with the performance.

I am looking at Sylvania's H13/9008 SilverStar ULTRA, thinking I should maybe step it up for the new rig? Remember, I'm just looking for driving lights, not stadium lighting... These seem like a nice upgrade for less than $30. Thoughts?

Oh, and it'll be a while before I have a new front bumper to add additional lights to, so don't go down that road just yet...

Thanks for your comments!
For halogens:
I think they are referring to the housings. The stock ones stink. You can do that and stay with an h13 bulb.

The next level in addition to that would be add to the wiring to convert to h4 bulbs. Stay with low watt bulbs and you can go stock wiring/ h13->h4 converters. If you want to use the higher watt bulbs, you should use a harness.



There are led options, but they are more $$$ 600ish

The best lighting, according to daniel stern are hids. Legal ones for the jk jeep are ~1500 bucks. These have hid projectors so you do not blind other drivers.

Hope that helps.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdwright View Post
There are led options, but they are more $$$ 600ish
To be fair, I only have $400 in my trucklite conversion, and I think it's easily the best money I've spent on my Jeep to date. I'd have had almost that much in doing a high wattage H4 conversion with the RallyLights harness/housings and I don't have to worry about bulbs for at least 10 years.
relyt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
unusedusername's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 355
Legal HID projectors can be had for $700-ish in parts.

HIDprojectors.com

I've posted a thread about mine already, but can't find it from my phone...
unusedusername is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post

To be fair, I only have $400 in my trucklite conversion, and I think it's easily the best money I've spent on my Jeep to date. I'd have had almost that much in doing a high wattage H4 conversion with the RallyLights harness/housings and I don't have to worry about bulbs for at least 10 years.
Nice, which ones did you get? Do they gave a heat sync in the back?
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdwright View Post
Nice, which ones did you get? Do they gave a heat sync in the back?
These are the ones I have. I bought from here with a discount code I found here, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

SET OF 2 Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design Phase 7 27270C

Edit: I did a quick search and found it. The code is Lifeisgood5 and it's good for 5% off your total order. Here's the thread I found it in.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post2130227
relyt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post

These are the ones I have. I bought from here with a discount code I found here, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

SET OF 2 Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design Phase 7 27270C
Thanks. A friend of mine purchased the used military grade ones off a guy who bought them a did not like them.
I am sure which ones they are.

Hmmm, i got the cibies thinking they would be cheaper than led.

To be fair, it was before I got on this great forum.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Legal HID projectors can be had for $700-ish in parts.

HIDprojectors.com

I've posted a thread about mine already, but can't find it from my phone...
Nice. Guess I was mis-informed.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
Thanks for the links, WhiskeyMike. I've got some reading to do!
mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ny
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdwright View Post
Nice. Guess I was mis-informed.

No you are not, Susquehanna are dot compliant "$1500", the other hids are for off road use only per their site. To each his own for some that does not matter.
deepbluerubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
This is the most thorough article/test I've seen so far, check it out.
JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners
Simonmedisch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbluerubi View Post

No you are not, Susquehanna are dot compliant "$1500", the other hids are for off road use only per their site. To each his own for some that does not matter.
Cool. Good to know.

If there would have been a way to blend those in better, I would have looked harder at them.

I see so many illegal ones. It is really irritating. Sitting higher does make it better, but still I feel bad for other drivers.

Right, your 1989 taurus came with purple hids? I wish cops could take more action.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post
These are the ones I have. I bought from here with a discount code I found here, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

SET OF 2 Truck-Lite 7'' Round LED Headlamp, Complex Reflector Optics Design Phase 7 27270C

Edit: I did a quick search and found it. The code is Lifeisgood5 and it's good for 5% off your total order. Here's the thread I found it in.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ml#post2130227
eBay has them for $180 each right now from a reputable seller. Beats any price I have seen.
KillerKowalski is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKowalski View Post
eBay has them for $180 each right now from a reputable seller. Beats any price I have seen.
That's a great price! If I had anything else that took a 7" round light, I'd definitely buy another set.
relyt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,157
Truck-Lites. Hands down the best, most cost effective solution for forward lighting you can do to your Jeep. Never mind the initial investment; you'll never pay for another headlight bulb for as long as you own your Jeep. Therefore, true cost of ownership is zero after you install them. Besides, how much do you value your safety? Can you truly put a price on that? You won't believe the difference they make until you actually see them firsthand. The Speakers are high quality and very expensive, but the main bitch about them is that the high beam is sub-par. The Truck-Lite high beam is absolutely brilliant! Do it - you won't regret it!
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
Digressing from the original topic of an "economical" upgrade, I highly dislike the poly-carbonate housings on these "high-end" LED lights. Plastic, really?

Excellent article, Simonmedisch. Thanks for the link!
mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post

To be fair, I only have $400 in my trucklite conversion, and I think it's easily the best money I've spent on my Jeep to date. I'd have had almost that much in doing a high wattage H4 conversion with the RallyLights harness/housings and I don't have to worry about bulbs for at least 10 years.
+1 I'm very happy with my trucklite conversion.
__________________
moto-treks - Motorcycle Travel & Adventures
2013 JKUR
moto-treks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
scottmphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhododendron, OR
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
Truck-Lites. Hands down the best, most cost effective solution for forward lighting you can do to your Jeep. Never mind the initial investment; you'll never pay for another headlight bulb for as long as you own your Jeep. Therefore, true cost of ownership is zero after you install them. Besides, how much do you value your safety? Can you truly put a price on that? You won't believe the difference they make until you actually see them firsthand. The Speakers are high quality and very expensive, but the main bitch about them is that the high beam is sub-par. The Truck-Lite high beam is absolutely brilliant! Do it - you won't regret it!
Honestly I was so excited for the Trucklites. But I am far from impressed. For $500 I ended up with horribly flickering lights that keep blowing fuses in my CANBUS.

I had higher expectations I guess.
__________________
Check out my blog - Offroadvegan!

2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Billet "Frank the Tank"

IG: OR_JEEP_LIFE
scottmphoto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmphoto View Post

Honestly I was so excited for the Trucklites. But I am far from impressed. For $500 I ended up with horribly flickering lights that keep blowing fuses in my CANBUS.

I had higher expectations I guess.
I would have incredibly high expectations and so should you. $500 is the price point of a pretty advanced iPad mini, so if you can't make some LED's work for that price, we have issues. Haha.
mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
scottmphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhododendron, OR
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebot View Post
I would have incredibly high expectations and so should you. $500 is the price point of a pretty advanced iPad mini, so if you can't make some LED's work for that price, we have issues. Haha.
Yeah and Northridge is not being supportive if I want to do a return on these.
__________________
Check out my blog - Offroadvegan!

2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Billet "Frank the Tank"

IG: OR_JEEP_LIFE
scottmphoto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmphoto View Post

Honestly I was so excited for the Trucklites. But I am far from impressed. For $500 I ended up with horribly flickering lights that keep blowing fuses in my CANBUS.

I had higher expectations I guess.
Mine flicker a bit a times, not always, but I've never seen a blown fuse. I've got them installed on a 2013 JKUR.
__________________
moto-treks - Motorcycle Travel & Adventures
2013 JKUR
moto-treks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Windsor Ont
Posts: 244
bang for buck
a pair of these
Bosch European H4 Headlights - PAIR
and a pair of the adapters that the truck lite lamps run
if you feel the need to run a relay there is a vendor on ebay selling a nice H4 headlamp harness for under $30 complete
2footin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebot View Post
Digressing from the original topic of an "economical" upgrade, I highly dislike the poly-carbonate housings on these "high-end" LED lights. Plastic, really?
Lightforce makes the best off-road driving lights on the market, they use polymer housings. If it's good enough for a glock it's good enough for the back of a light. If the housing breaks, blame the manufacturer, not a proven material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmphoto View Post
Honestly I was so excited for the Trucklites. But I am far from impressed. For $500 I ended up with horribly flickering lights that keep blowing fuses in my CANBUS.

I had higher expectations I guess.
Don't blame trucklite, blame Chrysler for using a ridiculous and totally unnecessary implementation of the canbus system. Fix this entirely with a separate harness for the lights. They're on ebay, and you should have ordered with your set of lights because this is a known problem with the JK, not the lights themselves which work perfectly fine on a TJ.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Lbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 600
I could be wrong (often am) but my understanding is that the 2014s have better headlights. Check with your dealer. Maybe Chrysler got the memo.
__________________
2013 Gecko JK Rubicon, LoD bumper, Warn VR8000-S, Ace Rock Sliders, Goodyear SilentArmors, Drake grill inserts, Prolink, Smart Doors, AntennaX, Welcome grabs, Mopar Slush mats front, QT mats rear and cargo, Midland CB, Mopar locking gas cap, RR fuel door, wallet on life support.

If you don't know where you're going, you'll get there.
Lbear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
D_ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
I could be wrong (often am) but my understanding is that the 2014s have better headlights. Check with your dealer. Maybe Chrysler got the memo.
I got my 2013 JKU 2 weeks ago and I expected some really crappy lights (from what I've read on the forum). What I noticed is that the stock lights are the brightest I've ever seen. I can't imagine a brighter light. The hundreds of bugs on my grill and lights are testament to the brightness. I really can't imagine brighter lights. Any brighter and it may impair oncoming traffic.
D_ninja is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_ninja View Post

I got my 2013 JKU 2 weeks ago and I expected some really crappy lights (from what I've read on the forum). What I noticed is that the stock lights are the brightest I've ever seen. I can't imagine a brighter light. The hundreds of bugs on my grill and lights are testament to the brightness. I really can't imagine brighter lights. Any brighter and it may impair oncoming traffic.
Really? Granted, my '13 was probably one of the first off the line, but the headlights were worse than on my TJ, and they were worse than the old ones in my '94 F-150.
relyt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
I could be wrong (often am) but my understanding is that the 2014s have better headlights. Check with your dealer. Maybe Chrysler got the memo.
Fingers crossed!
mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
mikebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Inland Empire, CA, USA!
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post

Lightforce makes the best off-road driving lights on the market, they use polymer housings. If it's good enough for a glock it's good enough for the back of a light. If the housing breaks, blame the manufacturer, not a proven material.

Don't blame trucklite, blame Chrysler for using a ridiculous and totally unnecessary implementation of the canbus system. Fix this entirely with a separate harness for the lights. They're on ebay, and you should have ordered with your set of lights because this is a known problem with the JK, not the lights themselves which work perfectly fine on a TJ.
I HATE polymer handguns. I'm an all-steel 1911 man, myself...but I digress. I prefer the strength and durability of glass compared to modern plastics. Would you have to be out there with a headlight restoration kit in 5 years on glass? Nope.
mikebot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by relyt View Post

Really? Granted, my '13 was probably one of the first off the line, but the headlights were worse than on my TJ, and they were worse than the old ones in my '94 F-150.
Right. I have a '13 that is two months and the lights were like flashlights.

Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC