How do you turn off trailer sway control? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 174
How do you turn off trailer sway control?

At least I think that's what it is...
When driving in the sand, through an established path (left by other vehicles), every time the path curved, the brakes would try to correct and keep the Jeep going in a perfectly straight line.
This happened in 2wd and 4hi. I didn't try 4 lo because I didn't need it and we were going 25-30mph.

I pressed the traction control button but that seemed to have no effect. Well, I guess it turned off the traction control, but I want to turn off the anti-sway feature.

Is there a secret sequence to disable this "nanny" in the 2012?

Thanks for responding if you know the answer. Kid needs bath, no time to search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200887.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	118512  

hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
You must be refering to the brake assist traction control crap. Push your esp button on your console to temporarily limit, effectively disabling, when you start your rig. The amber skid light will be on in your instrument cluster when its disabled. There us a way to shut off all together, but I find it useful most instances.

pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
It would be nice to be able to have it auto off unless you push the button to turn it on
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 174
thanks. when I push that button, the skid light does show up in the dash, but when the sway control kicks in, ANOTHER skid light blinks on the dash.
maybe it is the brake assist, which I guess is the same as sway assist, but I thought the brake assist was to mimic a LSD.
Well, my girl is clean and in bed now so I'll spend some time looking..
hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhonker
thanks. when I push that button, the skid light does show up in the dash, but when the sway control kicks in, ANOTHER skid light blinks on the dash.
maybe it is the brake assist, which I guess is the same as sway assist, but I thought the brake assist was to mimic a LSD.
Well, my girl is clean and in bed now so I'll spend some time looking..
Traction control, can not be turned off on my 08..

The button on my consul turns off stability control
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 174
the car I traded on the Jeep had a TC button that when you pressed it once you could spin the tires, press twice and you could power slide to a degree, press and hold for 5 seconds turned it all off.
This wasn't mentioned in the manual so I was hoping the Jeep might have a similar "secret mode" or something.
I read a thread on here about Brake Assist being off in 4LO so I guess I'll just HAVE to head back to the shore for testing
hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhonker
the car I traded on the Jeep had a TC button that when you pressed it once you could spin the tires, press twice and you could power slide to a degree, press and hold for 5 seconds turned it all off.
This wasn't mentioned in the manual so I was hoping the Jeep might have a similar "secret mode" or something.
I read a thread on here about Brake Assist being off in 4LO so I guess I'll just HAVE to head back to the shore for testing
Yeah my book says if I hold the button for 10 seconds it will turn off my stability control but it seams to reset after key off :/.. My book also says even then traction control is still active and can not be turned off..
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
When in 4x4 you can press and hold the button to deactivate it completely.
I think you need to be in gear but stopped to do it.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Yeah my book says if I hold the button for 10 seconds it will turn off my stability control but it seams to reset after key off :/.. My book also says even then traction control is still active and can not be turned off..
It's actually 5 seconds and yes it is back on when you shut the engine down and turn it on again.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
BTW TSC is for towing a trailer and has nothing to do with driving the Jeep in sand. It's to keep your trailer from ending up in front of you.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
BTW TSC is for towing a trailer and has nothing to do with driving the Jeep in sand. It's to keep your trailer from ending up in front of you.
Yes so it would be nice if the feature was off until you hooked up a trailer. As it is the back and forth motion caused by driving at speed through sandy double-track mimics a trailer starting to push your back end around and the tsc kicks in. It's just needless brake wear in this situation.

I wish the beach wasn't 3 hours away!
hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66

It's actually 5 seconds and yes it is back on when you shut the engine down and turn it on again.
^ This should help. Thank you. Does the dash display look different in this mode? I thought I tried this but maybe I only held the button for 4 seconds...
hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
SeaComms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Noosa, QLD, Australia
Posts: 780
After much fiddling with this I have found that the one press works at any speed, but the hold for 5 seconds (which then says ESP OFF on the display as well as the orange squiggily lines) only works for me if I am doing less than 10 to 15km/hr (less than 10mph).

Here is a listing of what does what:



The 'chicken dance' refers to the steering wheel / button pressing, which is as follows:


Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centred and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the right (clockwise).
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the left (counter clockwise).
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.
i. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
__________________
Cheers from Downunder, Dave.
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl 'Renegade' pack (includes dual top options, 17in alloys, side steps etc).
2.5in Flexy springs, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex rear trackbar bracket, Synergy front and rear sway bar links and front disco kit, Synergy steering damper relocation bracket, AEV front drop brackets, ARB front and rear bar, 10,000lb rope winch, Britax Xray Vision driving lights, GME 3440 UHF radio.
SeaComms is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms
After much fiddling with this I have found that the one press works at any speed, but the hold for 5 seconds (which then says ESP OFF on the display as well as the orange squiggily lines) only works for me if I am doing less than 10 to 15km/hr (less than 10mph).

Here is a listing of what does what:

The 'chicken dance' refers to the steering wheel / button pressing, which is as follows:

Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centred and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the right (clockwise).
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the left (counter clockwise).
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.
i. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
I don't have steering wheel controls in my 08
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
I don't have steering wheel controls in my 08
That procedure does not require steering wheel controls.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Koppel
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66

That procedure does not require steering wheel controls.
I was told you had to have them for the sequence to work.. :/ I need to find a manual, purchased mine used and clearly rely on the wrong people for info...
__________________
2008 Wrangler X
2004 Grand Cherokee Limited
1997 Grand Cherokee Larado (retired)
1999 Wrangler Sport (sold)

Ken
Phobos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
The 08 JK/JKU ESP "Disable", has NO MENTION OF STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS--


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
I was told you had to have them for the sequence to work.. :/ I need to find a manual, purchased mine used and clearly rely on the wrong people for info...
Daggo has the right info--RTFM-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NE Oklahoma
Posts: 12
I appreciate all the info you all offer. I think my sway bar is off but the light keeps blinking. How do I get it to quit?
rododle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
After much fiddling with this I have found that the one press works at any speed, but the hold for 5 seconds (which then says ESP OFF on the display as well as the orange squiggily lines) only works for me if I am doing less than 10 to 15km/hr (less than 10mph).

Here is a listing of what does what:



The 'chicken dance' refers to the steering wheel / button pressing, which is as follows:


Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centred and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the right (clockwise).
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the left (counter clockwise).
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.
i. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
The "dance" doesnt woork in 2012+ JKs.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
The ESC system has three available operating modes in
4H range. The system has one operating mode in 4L
range. Two-wheel drive vehicles and four-wheel drive
vehicles in 2H range have two operating modes.
4H Range (4WD Models)
On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 4H range.
Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the ESC
OFF switch.
ESC Off
This mode is entered by pressing and holding momentarily

pressing the ESC OFF switch for 5 seconds.


All other stability features of ESC function normally. This
mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep
snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin
than ESC would normally allow is required to gain
traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the
ESC OFF switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On”

mode of operation.


Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an excessively
swaying trailer and will take the appropriate
actions to attempt to stop the sway. The system may
reduce engine power and apply the brake of the appropriate
wheel(s) to counteract the sway of the trailer. TSC
will become active automatically once an excessively
swaying trailer is recognized. No driver action is required.
Note that TSC cannot stop all trailers from
swaying. Always use caution when towing a trailer and
follow the tongue weight recommendations. Refer to
“Trailer Towing” in “Starting and Operating” for further
information. When TSC is functioning, the “ESC
Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” will flash, the
engine power may be reduced and you may feel the
brakes being applied to individual wheels to attempt to
stop the trailer from swaying. TSC is disabled when the
ESP system is in the “Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes

__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC