how to change fog light bulbs on 2010 wrangler unlimited - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 48
how to change fog light bulbs on 2010 wrangler unlimited

any instructions on changing the fog light bulbs on a new wrangler unlimited? I have bulb upgrades, but the owners manual is very incomplete. Thanks

sheim911rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Bulb upgrades?
Tell us more about that.

The 10's have different bulbs than my '08. I have 9145s and they were a simple swap.

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Bulb upgrades?
Tell us more about that.

The 10's have different bulbs than my '08. I have 9145s and they were a simple swap.
hmmmm.....I ordered the sylvania '07-'10 upgrade from quadratec and they are #9145ST. Do you think these are wrong for the '10 models?
sheim911rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
e-jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stuck walking up the down escalator
Posts: 218
I tried as well. They changed the bulb connectors between 2009 and 2010, and Sylvania hasn't produced one for 2010 yet. Keep watching ...I'm sure it's coming.
e-jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheim911rs View Post
hmmmm.....I ordered the sylvania '07-'10 upgrade from quadratec and they are #9145ST. Do you think these are wrong for the '10 models?
Read this thread about lights:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dim...had-40712.html

If you bought these: Sylvania ST/9145ST - Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Fog Lamp Upgrade for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I'd return them and I'd tell Quadratec to stop selling Disney bulbs and grow up.
It's about time we draw a line in the sand; let the retailers know that we don't appreciate being treated like children.


Before you "upgrade" any light, take a look at what you're trying to achieve. I don't know what bulbs they're sticking in the 2010 models; it might have something to do with the new regulations for foglights.
Foglights are being regulated more closely now. Lights that provide too much foreground lighting (bad for normal driving but great for rock-crawling) have become illegal on OE sales.

A foglight is designed to help you see in fog. First of all, a higher temperature light is the opposite of what you'd want for fog; it filters out the light that humans see best by, especially in bad weather --- first strike against the Silverstar.
It makes its light with a filter to mimic the HID look --- second strike against the Silverstar.
The filter reduces light output so they have to put in a hotter element; it will burn out prematurely --- third strike against the Silverstar.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Read this thread about lights:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dim...had-40712.html

If you bought these: Sylvania ST/9145ST - Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Fog Lamp Upgrade for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I'd return them and I'd tell Quadratec to stop selling Disney bulbs and grow up.
It's about time we draw a line in the sand; let the retailers know that we don't appreciate being treated like children.


Before you "upgrade" any light, take a look at what you're trying to achieve. I don't know what bulbs they're sticking in the 2010 models; it might have something to do with the new regulations for foglights.
Foglights are being regulated more closely now. Lights that provide too much foreground lighting (bad for normal driving but great for rock-crawling) have become illegal on OE sales.

A foglight is designed to help you see in fog. First of all, a higher temperature light is the opposite of what you'd want for fog; it filters out the light that humans see best by, especially in bad weather --- first strike against the Silverstar.
It makes its light with a filter to mimic the HID look --- second strike against the Silverstar.
The filter reduces light output so they have to put in a hotter element; it will burn out prematurely --- third strike against the Silverstar.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I did install the delta headlights and those are much better than stock, but I think I'll stop there for now. Perhaps separate dedicated fog lights will be a better option anyway.
sheim911rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheim911rs View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I did install the delta headlights and those are much better than stock, but I think I'll stop there for now. Perhaps separate dedicated fog lights will be a better option anyway.
For fog, certainly.
I have these HID lights for foul weather and I've tinted the lenses selective yellow.



The stockers work well for rock crawling though.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 48
Thanks again!
sheim911rs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
e-jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stuck walking up the down escalator
Posts: 218
Hilldweller: thanks for the input brother. I'm going to stop looking for those replacement bulbs.
e-jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
any update on this? i'm buying replacement bulbs for my soon to be jeep (buying parts before i buy the jeep, lol) and i'm looking for the bulb number to order some yellow fog light bulbs.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
SLIM_SNOOPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 390
Question

Hello WF Members:


X2 on the yellow fog light bulbs for the 2010 Wrangler. Anybody know any companies that are making a direct replacement yellow bulbs?


Thanks


SLIM_SNOOPY
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
the bulb number is PSX24W, made exclusively by Philips. There don't seem to be ANY upgrades available yet.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
SLIM_SNOOPY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
the bulb number is PSX24W, made exclusively by Philips. There don't seem to be ANY upgrades available yet.
WHY WHY WHY......LOL
SLIM_SNOOPY is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
it will physically interchange with a 9009/h16 bulb, but the wattage on these bulbs is higher, so you might have issues with overheating the wires/connectors.
apparently, chrysler is using this bulb on almost ALL their vehicles for 2010-up........
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
apparently, chrysler is using this bulb on almost ALL their vehicles for 2010-up........
A new set of laws went into effect in '10 for OE foglights; it neutered them.
Too many people running them all the time.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
A new set of laws went into effect in '10 for OE foglights; it neutered them.
Too many people running them all the time.
i had seen something about that. i suppose it's easier to legislate a change than to enforce a law. it's not the foglights that bother me, it's people either not turning off their high beams (which is getting worse and worse every year around here) or illegal HID retrofits that are way too bright.

that said, there is a nice difference in foreground lighting with my fogs on than without them. definitely not going to cut through new england fog or anything like that, but they light up puddles and pot holes nicely.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
that said, there is a nice difference in foreground lighting with my fogs on than without them. definitely not going to cut through new england fog or anything like that, but they light up puddles and pot holes nicely.
You can do better with a set of aftermarket selective-yellow fogs though.
It's a pity about the stockers. My 2008 45-watt stockers aren't that much better either; only 800 lumen (I think).

My yellow HIDs work great. I get some significant fog on my early-morning commutes through the low areas near rivers; I take a couple of dirt roads and my lights allow me to pick out the side of the road and spot critters.
I can't use them with any oncoming traffic; way too bright.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
my intention was to get a set of yellow bulbs for the stock fogs, but at 24 watts, i'm pretty sure i'd be wasting my money. i'll probably pick up a nice set of yellow auxiliary driving lights down the road.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
There is quite a bit of fog, where I keep my jeep in NorNv--



I just got some yellow headlights, can't really seeit with this camera, but there's a light yellow cast to the field that the headlights cover, pretty easy on the eyes

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
my intention was to get a set of yellow bulbs for the stock fogs, but at 24 watts, i'm pretty sure i'd be wasting my money.
If nothing else, yellow bulbs in the stock housings would make you more conspicuous than white in DRL use. Could save you from a left-turning vehicle collision (highest ranking 2-vehicle accident there is).
It's hard to measure the effectiveness of safety products that work, only the absence of them...
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
If nothing else, yellow bulbs in the stock housings would make you more conspicuous than white in DRL use. Could save you from a left-turning vehicle collision (highest ranking 2-vehicle accident there is).
It's hard to measure the effectiveness of safety products that work, only the absence of them...
there's truth to that. i know a lot of bikers and every one of them says anything to make you more noticeable to all the zombies out there is a plus. loud pipes and bright lights save lives.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
There is quite a bit of fog, where I keep my jeep in NorNv--



I just got some yellow headlights, can't really seeit with this camera, but there's a light yellow cast to the field that the headlights cover, pretty easy on the eyes

JIMBO
I like the way that works and I doubt if you'd ever have to explain yourself before a magistrate. But I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to run two yellow headlights in every state.
I know that some states specifically say that you can run one as a yellow; I don't think any allow two. I have NOT checked that thoroughly in a long time though.

FDOT states that headlight color must be white and then further defines the color temperature range that it considers white. I'm pretty sure that it's 3200K to 4250K; again, I'm going from memory.

If you travel in Europe you'll see plenty of dual yellows. Left over from when France required it.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
loud pipes and bright lights save lives.
eh, I'd argue against the loud pipe mantra. Low frequency noise is omnidirectional and a poor indicator of presence or direction of travel. At best, a narcoleptic Cadillac pilot will know something is out there; at worst, he'll crap himself and jam on the brakes trying to figure out where the bogey is.

This was my last bike. Note the 4 H7 Osram headlights, PIAA (crappy bulbs) driving lights, and yellow LED conspicuity lights in the lower cowl. I used to ride this thing 1000-1500 miles/day in all sorts of weather, all over North America. No left-turn incidents...



__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
You're probably right HD, but

In lyon county Nevada, there's no smog/muffler/seatbelt laws

I haven't checked yet, but I can probably swap ANY engine I want, into the JKU--not that I would, they've got the 5.7/6.1 "Hemi" swap and ALL software pretty well perfected now, so I'd probably do a Hemi swap, but

That'll only be if the xmission, or 3.8 V6 "NASCAR" engine stumbles !!

There ain't no reason forit, it's just the way we doit !


JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #25
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
well, you hear my 55 coming......



__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
...so I'd probably do a Hemi swap,
JIMBO
Go ahead. Just tease me.

I keep dropping hints with people in high places that I'd be willing, ahem, to make myself available for a long-term test of a diesel swap.
No calls yet...

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many forum members does it take to.... Nick Off-Topic 46 03-16-2011 02:47 AM
Wheel question For '09 Wrangler Unlimited X 1EYEDJACK JK General Discussion Forum 3 09-09-2009 04:36 PM
2010 Wrangler Unlimited EV wrangler1978 JK General Discussion Forum 19 09-04-2009 02:57 PM
How do i change these bulbs? nightclub27 TJ Tech Forum 6 04-17-2009 08:37 AM
2007 Wrangler Unlimited X - 13K miles - Iowa LimeTJ Classifieds Archive 3 03-08-2009 03:26 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC