how to drive a rubi in the snow? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 696
how to drive a rubi in the snow?

What must happen for you to drive your 2011-12 unlimited rubi in the snow? I snowboard twice every weekend in the winter. If my jeep is not going to be a good snow driver it might not be right for me.

mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Jeeps are great in the snow. Nothing must happen.

Stay out of 4wd unless the road is all white or icy. Plain pavement is not good for a true 4wd system like appears in your jeep.

Also, don't bother with the lockers on your Rubi unless the snow is up and covering more than half of your tires. Your lockers won't work unless you're in 4L anyway though, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
NHrubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 844
Images: 1
You definitely want good tires with aggressive tread pattern. Regular street tires will just clog up and spin in the snow. I run Cepek Crushers on my 03 rubicon all year long and have yet to get stuck in snowbanks. I try to get out on the local streets before they are plowed clean just to go through snowbanks...Don't use lockers...you will slide forward instead of turning if you have any speed...
NHrubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 696
So for snow i just stick with the 2wd.
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 696
2wd unless the road is all white RIGHT.

When the road is all white 4wd is fine Right.

If i go playing in the snow say in the snowbanks (10+") what do i put the rubi in.
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
So for snow i just stick with the 2wd.
For light snow, yes. If you see a lot of non-iced pavement, stay in 2wd. If you can safely travel near or at the same speed you'd travel in normal weather conditions, stay in 2wd.

If on the other hand all you see is snow such that traction in all places is dubious and great care is required while driving, then 4wd is fine.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
How do you fly a F4U-corsair fighter/ how do you drive a Formula one race car/ how do you dive fior abalone ??

YUP, you get taught and practice-

On streets snow 2ft or less, you just drive SLOW and watch and go high on turns--

Off-road it's lockers and low air pressure and careful turns-

Don't use the lockers untill you've got some experience withem, you may have to use lockers if you've some steep hills, but lockers in snow/ice take a lotta care and all that depends on your tires-

The majority of your streets will be plowed, so just go slow and watch ahead for troubles--sometimes you're safer using the e-brake than touching your brake pedal, but here again--you have to learnit-

--google it--

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
If i go playing in the snow say in the snowbanks (10+") what do i put the rubi in.
Generally 4H is going to do it. If you're routinely in 10+" you can also try 4L, which will also let you try your lockers if you're so inclined.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 696
got it.
mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DrHolliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
How do you fly a F4U-corsair fighter/ how do you drive a Formula one race car/ how do you dive fior abalone ??

YUP, you get taught and practice-

On streets snow 2ft or less, you just drive SLOW and watch and go high on turns--

Off-road it's lockers and low air pressure and careful turns-

Don't use the lockers untill you've got some experience withem, you may have to use lockers if you've some steep hills, but lockers in snow/ice take a lotta care and all that depends on your tires-

The majority of your streets will be plowed, so just go slow and watch ahead for troubles--sometimes you're safer using the e-brake than touching your brake pedal, but here again--you have to learnit-

--google it--

JIMBO
I agree with everything except the parking brake. I just envision some one yanking up on the parking brake b/c its snowing and they're nervous and causing a lot more problems.

Anti lock brakes can be goofy on snow/ice but are perfect for most drivers out there that just panic and stand on the brakes, it allows them to maintain control and steer the vehicle still.

About the best advice I would give it to increase following distances and PLAN YOUR STOPS!!! Just b/c you have 4x4 and can accelerate some what normally still does not mean you can still stop quickly.

I would use 2hi until I felt the rear loose traction, or if the road starts getting white just like the others have said.
__________________
2011 JK Rubicon 2 door, 3.5" X-Factor mid arm, 1.25" Daystar body lift, 40x13.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers.
DrHolliday is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 298
be careful not to redline, it's a lot easier to redline in 4L than 4H or 2wd.

experience, knowledge and patience is what you need.

4wheel drives will not keep you from sliding but generally do keep you from fishtailing. That is perhaps the hardest concept for people who have never driven in snow/ice to understand about the differences between 2wd and 4wd. They usually will over correct.

I have taught several people how to drive in snow/ice in 4wd vehicles, I just take them out on snow/ice roads (parking lots are great, but when you live in the country, sometimes roads are all you have) and had some fun, showing them how the entire vehicle will usually slide before your fishtail. Then let them have the wheel and get some experience, knowledge and confidence.

- Dan M
DM6156 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Well, you're probably right, but


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHolliday View Post
I agree with everything except the parking brake. I just envision some one yanking up on the parking brake b/c its snowing and they're nervous and causing a lot more problems.

Anti lock brakes can be goofy on snow/ice but are perfect for most drivers out there that just panic and stand on the brakes, it allows them to maintain control and steer the vehicle still.

About the best advice I would give it to increase following distances and PLAN YOUR STOPS!!! Just b/c you have 4x4 and can accelerate some what normally still does not mean you can still stop quickly.

I would use 2hi until I felt the rear loose traction, or if the road starts getting white just like the others have said.
I've found that you can still maintain full STEERING, when you "FEATHER" the ebrake and thats in snow/ice and very steep downhills--

Even with ALB brakes, when you apply your brakes it will restrict your steering and even climbing with my rubi/w lockers sometimes I've been able to get more traction in front, by "FEATHERING" the ebrake--they're pretty handy and kewl, but

Practice--practice--practice !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
aveisone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 21
Tires are the most important thing. Get tires that have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. That means they are meant for the kind of driving you are going to be doing. Both my vehicles have 2 sets of wheels for this reason.

Ive used my Subaru to pull lifted pickups with all season tires out of snowy ditches. Dont be that guy. Its embarrassing for them.
aveisone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
If you're gonna play in 10' snowbanks--getta shovel


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
2wd unless the road is all white RIGHT.

When the road is all white 4wd is fine Right.

If i go playing in the snow say in the snowbanks (10+") what do i put the rubi in.
If you wanna play in 10' of level snow, let your tires down to 5psi/4lo/lockers and make wide turns-or

Getta pair of these and





Know how to reset busted beads !!

Tons a fun !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,358
Empty parking lot and some orange cones. Look like a total goober but....

I have a totally different beast in my Jk.

Learned my Tj/Yj capabilities in an empty parking lot pushing the limits. Have some fun and learn your vehicle.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHrubicon View Post
You definitely want good tires with aggressive tread pattern. Regular street tires will just clog up and spin in the snow. I run Cepek Crushers on my 03 rubicon all year long and have yet to get stuck in snowbanks. I try to get out on the local streets before they are plowed clean just to go through snowbanks...Don't use lockers...you will slide forward instead of turning if you have any speed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveisone View Post
Tires are the most important thing. Get tires that have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall. That means they are meant for the kind of driving you are going to be doing. Both my vehicles have 2 sets of wheels for this reason.

Ive used my Subaru to pull lifted pickups with all season tires out of snowy ditches. Dont be that guy. Its embarrassing for them.
He asked about driving a Rubicon. He already has aggressive tires.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
wigman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the sticks...thank god
Posts: 97
I ski 100 + days a year mostly at Sugarloaf Maine. I know snow, its my thing. Snow tires use different rubber and hold the road much better than any other tire. Studded tires work better than non studded tires only for the first 1000 miles (someone did a phd thesis on the subject a few years ago). Narrower tires are better in the snow (probably a weight/surface area thing). Im waiting for my orange jeep to arrive. I plan on running snows on my stock rims and toyo mts the rest of the year on aftermarket wheels.

I disagree with recommendations to use low gear. Torque is your enemy, it causes wheel spin and loss of control. Where I might normally be in 3rd gear, I would use 4th gear in the snow. You will be less likely spin.
wigman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
mikemounlio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 696
I am a fan of driving in the snow. I had a 96 cougar v8 rwd and when we had record snow (close to it) i went around pulling people out of the snow. I got hung up a few times but never had to be pulled out myself.

Also a fan of the parking lot idea. I have learned everything i know about cars, bikes, (stuff with power) in parking lots.

I still have more to learn tho.

mikemounlio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JKU Rubicon Puts Winter Ice and Snow on Notice! jk'n JK General Discussion Forum 9 12-06-2010 03:35 PM
United Four Wheel Drive Associations & JPFreek txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 0 11-04-2009 10:06 AM
Snow Tires & Rims Recommendations Rob_Feature YJ General Discussion Forum 18 09-25-2009 07:23 PM
Front Drive Shaft BlackHawkTJ TJ Tech Forum 3 09-14-2009 11:02 AM
Interstate driving question about snow and ice scotiez General Jeep Discussion 16 03-13-2008 09:01 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC