Huge headache brand new jk 2013 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
DuneWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 93
Huge headache brand new jk 2013

So.. I picked up my brand new 2013 jeep wrangler sahara 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Absolutely love jeeps and have been dieing to get one since i was young, finally able to afford my 1st brand new vehicle and it had to be a jeep! But its been a horror story for me .. 3 days after i purchased the vehicle i got in and found the whole drivers side carpet was drenched and so was the mat. So ive heard of people having slight issues and getting them repaird and what not, but whats the worst story you guys have encountered with a brand new jeep leaking? Ive been documenting my struggle with the dealership because its been lie after excuse and uncountable amounts of bs stories. Final result it took them 5 days to get there "third party experts" in to look at it and repair it after i was told id get it back of the 1st day i dropped it off, and it may still be leaking.. I was told they replaced the drivers seal and re aligned the door and alot of other bs that doesnt look like they actually did. But in the process they did actually change the seal and re align the door because its a new seal (i marked all seals before dropping it off) and the bolts are stripped of paint that mount the door hing on the inside of the door jam(very frustated). So just really looking to see how bad other peoples leaks had been, and has anyone had to have their door re aligned?? Absolutely speechless with my experience.

DuneWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 38
Smile 13jku

sorry,l have two,1 sport an the other sahara an no problems.
so far.

13 jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneWrangler View Post
So.. I picked up my brand new 2013 jeep wrangler sahara 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Absolutely love jeeps and have been dieing to get one since i was young, finally able to afford my 1st brand new vehicle and it had to be a jeep! But its been a horror story for me .. 3 days after i purchased the vehicle i got in and found the whole drivers side carpet was drenched and so was the mat. So ive heard of people having slight issues and getting them repaird and what not, but whats the worst story you guys have encountered with a brand new jeep leaking? Ive been documenting my struggle with the dealership because its been lie after excuse and uncountable amounts of bs stories. Final result it took them 5 days to get there "third party experts" in to look at it and repair it after i was told id get it back of the 1st day i dropped it off, and it may still be leaking.. I was told they replaced the drivers seal and re aligned the door and alot of other bs that doesnt look like they actually did. But in the process they did actually change the seal and re align the door because its a new seal (i marked all seals before dropping it off) and the bolts are stripped of paint that mount the door hing on the inside of the door jam(very frustated). So just really looking to see how bad other peoples leaks had been, and has anyone had to have their door re aligned?? Absolutely speechless with my experience.
VVV This. Unfortunately, some peeps get duds. My advice: document everything, and eventually your leaks might morph into a new Jeep. In the meantime, drive it like a bank robber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 jk View Post
sorry,l have two,1 sport an the other sahara an no problems.
so far.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Wingsnut72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneWrangler View Post
So.. I picked up my brand new 2013 jeep wrangler sahara 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Absolutely love jeeps and have been dieing to get one since i was young, finally able to afford my 1st brand new vehicle and it had to be a jeep! But its been a horror story for me .. 3 days after i purchased the vehicle i got in and found the whole drivers side carpet was drenched and so was the mat. So ive heard of people having slight issues and getting them repaird and what not, but whats the worst story you guys have encountered with a brand new jeep leaking? Ive been documenting my struggle with the dealership because its been lie after excuse and uncountable amounts of bs stories. Final result it took them 5 days to get there "third party experts" in to look at it and repair it after i was told id get it back of the 1st day i dropped it off, and it may still be leaking.. I was told they replaced the drivers seal and re aligned the door and alot of other bs that doesnt look like they actually did. But in the process they did actually change the seal and re align the door because its a new seal (i marked all seals before dropping it off) and the bolts are stripped of paint that mount the door hing on the inside of the door jam(very frustated). So just really looking to see how bad other peoples leaks had been, and has anyone had to have their door re aligned?? Absolutely speechless with my experience.
My job sucks. When I get in my 2013 Unlimited Rubi all my problems go away. Having such an awesome vehicle makes you put up with a lot of crap. No issues so far besides a defective water pump.
Wingsnut72 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,322
Where did the water come from? Do you leave it parked outside in rainy weather? Drive it through a car wash? Drive through a creek?

Anyway, our 2013 JK Sahara hasn't experienced any leak problems in the 10 months we've had it. Yours is not a common problem but I hope they correct it. Be persistent.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oro Valley, AZ
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Where did the water come from? Do you leave it parked outside in rainy weather? Drive it through a car wash? Drive through a creek?

Anyway, our 2013 JK Sahara hasn't experienced any leak problems in the 10 months we've had it. Yours is not a common problem but I hope they correct it. Be persistent.
Nor mine - just towed it through some real barn burning rain behind our motor home and not one drop inside. Also sat through an early snow up in the mid-west a couple of weeks ago and nothing inside. Hang in there, I had some lingering problems with my 2010 Wrangler Unlimited and Jeep made everyone of them good.
buckeyeduffer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
rubisteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 415
Question is, does it still leak after the door seal change ??? So you had a problem and they adressed it...... You jump pretty quick on the word nightmare if that is all you've had....!?!?

Is it fixed, or not ???

You might never have another problem as long as you own it.....
rubisteph is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TRAUMAhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cen Cal
Posts: 627
Also check NFR's thread regarding leaks: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/don...ad-365322.html
TRAUMAhead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Plasticpirogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 541
Whew....DRAMA!
Plasticpirogue is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
NO MALLCRAWLER NO MORE!

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 2,896
Sorry it has been so frustrating for you! And all the moreso with the time you had to wait and it being your first brand new vehicle. I assume this is the 2 door and soft top? Sorry but I have 4 door with Freedom Top so can't be any help. If you want the bolts painted again did you ask them to fix or replace them? Also keep in mind a lot of your experience depends on your particular dealer-some suck, some are great, a lot are somewhere in between.

And Jeeps can take a little water inside - why else would they put drain plugs in the floor lol. Suggest perhaps calmly take it back to the dealer and explain what you are unhappy with and what you would like them to do. Are you sure the water was coming in through the door in the first place?

Also all things considered while it may seem like a big issue that a vehicle you dropped some big coin on isn't "picture perfect in every way" but some things are more major than others. And one of the great things about Wranglers is most things can be replaced and repaired.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 4.10 Auto

Pending: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Or Fab Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series.
mommymallcrawler is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,963
I'd start lemon law threats to the dealer, they will take you a lot more seriously. If the problem persists, file a lemon law claim.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 49
I think after one problem that the dealer has most likely taken care of it would be a little early to start talking lemon law.
Firefighter-rn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
I assume this is the 2 door and soft top? Sorry but I have 4 door with Freedom Top so can't be any help.
larimorebf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter-rn View Post
I think after one problem that the dealer has most likely taken care of it would be a little early to start talking lemon law.
It is, but I have yet to see a leak issue that was fixed by the dealer, so my hunch is that it will return, at which point, throwing the lemon law around can get the dealer to try and take care of the problem, rather than getting the customer the hell out the door.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
DuneWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post
Sorry it has been so frustrating for you! And all the moreso with the time you had to wait and it being your first brand new vehicle. I assume this is the 2 door and soft top? Sorry but I have 4 door with Freedom Top so can't be any help. If you want the bolts painted again did you ask them to fix or replace them? Also keep in mind a lot of your experience depends on your particular dealer-some suck, some are great, a lot are somewhere in between.

And Jeeps can take a little water inside - why else would they put drain plugs in the floor lol. Suggest perhaps calmly take it back to the dealer and explain what you are unhappy with and what you would like them to do. Are you sure the water was coming in through the door in the first place?

Also all things considered while it may seem like a big issue that a vehicle you dropped some big coin on isn't "picture perfect in every way" but some things are more major than others. And one of the great things about Wranglers is most things can be replaced and repaired.
it is actually a unlimited with the freedom top, and i know jeeps can take it its just definately a little concerning with the price of them and its brand new. from what ive read people have had returning leaks quite often but i know theres alot more people that have none. im waiting for it to rain again, but this morning there was a wet spot and when i finished school under the rug was moist(may just have been left over hiding in there) but curious to what other people have experienced. i have been documenting everything and in the case it is a lemon, hopefully not. got them to order touch up paint because with the service theyve done there has been quite a alot of lies ive caught them on and they go off about how they can only do what they can, id be a bit happier if they just hadnt said so much bs. they offered to send it to a body shop but no thank you..
DuneWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneWrangler View Post
got them to order touch up paint because with the service theyve done there has been quite a alot of lies ive caught them on and they go off about how they can only do what they can, id be a bit happier if they just hadnt said so much bs. they offered to send it to a body shop but no thank you..
You're jumping all over the place here. What does touch-up paint have to do with a water leak? Is the free offer to send it to a body shop related to the leak or something else?
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
NO MALLCRAWLER NO MORE!

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 2,896
Did you read the post about leaks? Also I found this on the forum a manual explaining water leaks that may actually be from Jeep (not sure). I tried to upload it but it is too big and I don't have an online host - maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can hook you up?

If the water was on drivers side FLOOR, your problem may not be the door. The manual points first to the cowl or the rear wheel flare holes as culprits if the water was on the CARPET. If the water was on the DOOR it suggests a few culprits-one being door fit, or windshield header seal etc. Sounds like maybe that was what they were trying to fix for you?

At any rate, give Jeep a chance to make it right. Try another dealer for the repair maybe? I have not had any leaks so there is "something" they can fix so that you don't either. Just make sure you keep record when you see water and WHERE it is.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 4.10 Auto

Pending: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Or Fab Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series.
mommymallcrawler is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
NO MALLCRAWLER NO MORE!

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 2,896
Quote:
You're jumping all over the place here. What does touch-up paint have to do with a water leak? Is the free offer to send it to a body shop related to the leak or something else?
It sounds like when they were fixing the door seal they somehow stripped the paint off the bolts.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 4.10 Auto

Pending: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Or Fab Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series.
mommymallcrawler is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 202
I know some people have to really slam their doors shut. Are you sure yours were shut well before the foul weather?

Someone had to ask it.
rev2red is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Charlie Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 84
I know this sounds silly, but check your windshield washer reservoir. If it's empty, there's your "water". I forgot to unhook the connection to the rear wiper and sprayer the first time I removed my hardtop and the next time I tried to spray the back glass it emptied my reservoir in my drivers side floor board. I never would've noticed if some papers under my seat wouldn't have turned blue from the wiper fluid. There is a connection right by the drivers door that came undone. Simple fix
Charlie Joker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
DuneWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post
Did you read the post about leaks? Also I found this on the forum a manual explaining water leaks that may actually be from Jeep (not sure). I tried to upload it but it is too big and I don't have an online host - maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can hook you up?

If the water was on drivers side FLOOR, your problem may not be the door. The manual points first to the cowl or the rear wheel flare holes as culprits if the water was on the CARPET. If the water was on the DOOR it suggests a few culprits-one being door fit, or windshield header seal etc. Sounds like maybe that was what they were trying to fix for you?

At any rate, give Jeep a chance to make it right. Try another dealer for the repair maybe? I have not had any leaks so there is "something" they can fix so that you don't either. Just make sure you keep record when you see water and WHERE it is.
Checked out the leak thread and am definately going to pick up some of that lube. I noticed they greased all the seals for me by the looks of it but will get some for the future. Ill lookinto those areas you mentioned.

They re aligned the door so they took it off at the hinges.. Stripping all the paint on my door bolts. They replaced the seal and called me and told me it was still leaking then shortly after they called and said they re aligned the door and is sealed.. Just waiting for a nice storm or a chance to rinse it(dont have access to a hose in highrise building).
DuneWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
DuneWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Joker View Post
I know this sounds silly, but check your windshield washer reservoir. If it's empty, there's your "water". I forgot to unhook the connection to the rear wiper and sprayer the first time I removed my hardtop and the next time I tried to spray the back glass it emptied my reservoir in my drivers side floor board. I never would've noticed if some papers under my seat wouldn't have turned blue from the wiper fluid. There is a connection right by the drivers door that came undone. Simple fix

Going to look for that aswell, do i need to remove the plastic door sil trim to access it ? Thanks for the info

And yes rev2red i slam them closed, and watch for the door open light on the dash, to my knowledge ive never left them open a crack, im aware they take a good slamming, learned that the 1st day i had it and still constantly reminding friends there door isnt closed lol. But when i get out i make sure the door is flush and no door open light.
DuneWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: East TN
Posts: 120
Leaks are tough to find, I would take a deep breath and let the dealer try their best.

If you loosen the bolts on the door the paint is going to chip off, nothing you can do about that except touch it up or get a new Jeep.

Mine doesnt leak in the rain, ever, and its been through some pretty good downpours. But when I hand wash it I always get the wet floor on the drivers side. I must be hitting the right spot with the hose, one day I'll have to find that right spot and correct it..
__________________
2013 JK Sport auto 3.73, TF leveling kit, Pro comp 7105 w/285/70/17 Duratracs - SOLD

2012 JKU Sahara - pretty much stock.
KP50 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
What does touch-up paint have to do with a water leak?
Its simply an apology gift, for the trouble and inconvenience.

I got a Jeep baseball cap once.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
[All custom ordered, purchased new]
WaltA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 723
Really sorry to hear about the issues, especially when it's your first Wrangler. My 13' is my first too. No problems or water leaks though.

You've got a great Jeep. Get the bugs worked out and enjoy the many years ahead...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxzy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneWrangler View Post
I was told they replaced the drivers seal and re aligned the door and alot of other bs that doesnt look like they actually did. But in the process they did actually change the seal and re align the door because its a new seal (i marked all seals before dropping it off) and the bolts are stripped of paint that mount the door hing on the inside of the door jam(very frustated).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
You're jumping all over the place here. What does touch-up paint have to do with a water leak? Is the free offer to send it to a body shop related to the leak or something else?
Why don't you read the post?
__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 227
Trade it in for a toyota tacoma
Puddlesplasher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
portd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 74
I would let the body shop paint the hinge bolts if they are paying for it it's brand new
portd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlesplasher View Post
Trade it in for a toyota tacoma
I kind of miss "Taco", since he was banned.
__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
I feel your pain. My 2013 Sport UL leaks water from the drivers door, I have looked and tried to mitigate it myself because the dealer I purchased it from is almost an hours drive. Surprisingly it only leaks when parked. I'm assuming the negation wind pressure must be keeping the water out when driving in the rain.

Jetwag03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC