I can't believe no airbag weight sensor in the 2013 JKU's ... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
I can't believe no airbag weight sensor in the 2013 JKU's ...

For long trips, I'd never have my 10 year old in the passenger seat, but around our neighborhood, I'd like to, but the airbag doesn't shut off. Really? On a 2013? No weight sensor? I know there's a sensor for whether or not there's a passenger because the seatbelt light will come on if the belt isn't latched, but if a light-weight is put in the front seat, there's no airbag light. By all accounts, it appears to be active. Am I reading this right?

Now, as I type this, there's something I haven't tried. If my kid is in the seat, and I unfasten the seatbelt, will the seatbelt light come on? Not sure, but if it doesn't, that means the airbag wouldn't be 'active' because it's not sensing anyone in the seat worth 'dinging' the seatbelt chime for.

On the way to work, I put my backpack in the seat, and it didn't ding at me like other cars do when you put a heavy bag in the seat. Maybe that means there is a weight sensor, but it only trips when there's heavier passengers, so if it's a light passenger, it doesn't activate the bag...

I dunno... anyone else with better information?

Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
For long trips, I'd never have my 10 year old in the passenger seat, but around our neighborhood, I'd like to, but the airbag doesn't shut off. Really? On a 2013? No weight sensor? I know there's a sensor for whether or not there's a passenger because the seatbelt light will come on if the belt isn't latched, but if a light-weight is put in the front seat, there's no airbag light. By all accounts, it appears to be active. Am I reading this right?

Now, as I type this, there's something I haven't tried. If my kid is in the seat, and I unfasten the seatbelt, will the seatbelt light come on? Not sure, but if it doesn't, that means the airbag wouldn't be 'active' because it's not sensing anyone in the seat worth 'dinging' the seatbelt chime for.

On the way to work, I put my backpack in the seat, and it didn't ding at me like other cars do when you put a heavy bag in the seat. Maybe that means there is a weight sensor, but it only trips when there's heavier passengers, so if it's a light passenger, it doesn't activate the bag...

I dunno... anyone else with better information?
I don't think there's a weight sensor. Dunno if things changed for 2013s. Usually by the time we start moving, everyone is buckled in, but there's no light that shows up on the dashboard alerting me whether the airbag is activated or not.

Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,865
Images: 13
There is some kind of weight sensor, but I agree, I don't know how it interacts with the airbags. All I know is that my wife's 8.75 pound dog plus her bed is just enough weight to screw up the seatbelt warning chime. Which of course makes the dog start to shake and get scared (loud beeps really scare her). I've starting latching the seatbelt, but I'll check on the airbag light in the future.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
I was able to make it to where mine no longer chimes, but just lights up. I can't remember where I read it on here, but it was some weird combo of turning the Jeep on and off again, latching and unlatching belts, etc. Now, no more chime.

That has no effect on airbag, but thought you'd like to know if it scares the dogs and becomes a hassle.

PS.... I found the link. Here's what I did...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/man...le-155357.html
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,792
Images: 1
There hasn't been a weight sensor for the air bags since 2007. The driver's and passenger air bags are always on.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,865
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
I was able to make it to where mine no longer chimes, but just lights up. I can't remember where I read it on here, but it was some weird combo of turning the Jeep on and off again, latching and unlatching belts, etc. Now, no more chime.

That has no effect on airbag, but thought you'd like to know if it scares the dogs and becomes a hassle.

PS.... I found the link. Here's what I did...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/man...le-155357.html
Thank you kind sir!

She thanks you as well!
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik
There hasn't been a weight sensor for the air bags since 2007. The driver's and passenger air bags are always on.
This. And at $1,000 a piece in an accident it's a waste if no one is sitting in the seat
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ibwile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 135
I've been wondering about this as well. In the TJ you could manually disable the passenger airbag for just this reason. Seems strange that it was a safety feature before and now gone- or am I misunderstanding how this is functioning now?
__________________
2013 JK Sport, Crush, 2 door, auto, soft-top
Mods: Stock for now except ACE sliders. (Building the wishlist)

2000 TJ Sahara [Destroyed in 2012:Hurricane Sandy RIP]
1993 YJ SE [Sold]
ibwile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
GeckoJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibwile View Post
I've been wondering about this as well. In the TJ you could manually disable the passenger airbag for just this reason. Seems strange that it was a safety feature before and now gone- or am I misunderstanding how this is functioning now?
Legal liability reasons. Chryco would rather your insurance company have to pay for another airbag then face a multi-million dollar lawsuit if somebody sits in the seat, bag fails to deploy and the person ends up dead.
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - Gecko Pearl Coat
GeckoJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoJK View Post
Legal liability reasons. Chryco would rather your insurance company have to pay for another airbag then face a multi-million dollar lawsuit if somebody sits in the seat, bag fails to deploy and the person ends up dead.
The reverse is true too though. If it deploys and kills a younger passenger (even if they shouldn't have been riding shotgun), they're exposed.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,840
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
The owners manual has some good info. I believe this explains why you can't turn it off:

The Advanced Front Air Bags have a multistage inflator
design. This allows the air bag to have different rates of
inflation that are based on several factors, including the
severity and type of collision.
This vehicle may be equipped with driver and/or front
passenger seat track position sensors that may adjust the
inflation rate of the Advanced Front Air Bags based upon
seat position.
This vehicle may be equipped with a driver and/or front
passenger seat belt buckle switch that detects whether
the driver or front passenger seat belt is fastened. The
seat belt buckle switch may adjust the inflation rate of the
Advanced Front Air Bags.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
ibwile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 135
Sounds like the lawyers got behind the wheel. Lotsa "MAY's in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
The owners manual has some good info. I believe this explains why you can't turn it off:

The Advanced Front Air Bags have a multistage inflator
design. This allows the air bag to have different rates of
inflation that are based on several factors, including the
severity and type of collision.
This vehicle may be equipped with driver and/or front
passenger seat track position sensors that may adjust the
inflation rate of the Advanced Front Air Bags based upon
seat position.
This vehicle may be equipped with a driver and/or front
passenger seat belt buckle switch that detects whether
the driver or front passenger seat belt is fastened. The
seat belt buckle switch may adjust the inflation rate of the
Advanced Front Air Bags.
I wouldn't mind an indicator light. At least in the TJ you knew if it was on or off.
__________________
2013 JK Sport, Crush, 2 door, auto, soft-top
Mods: Stock for now except ACE sliders. (Building the wishlist)

2000 TJ Sahara [Destroyed in 2012:Hurricane Sandy RIP]
1993 YJ SE [Sold]
ibwile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 441
It is always on...unless parameters in the collision determine that it is safer not to blow the bags.

There are too many factors to put into a warning or advisement. All of the vehicle's sensors combine to determine how/when to blow the bags.

In other words, the bags will not blow if there is a toddler up there or someone is leaning forward.
__________________
Past Jeeps: 71 CJ5 (225V6) | 01 Wrangler Sport | 04 Wrangler Sport
Current:12 Crush Rubi 4dr | 6spd | heated leather Katzskins w/orange accents | Garmin 430
Highway eater: 2006 V70R | Quick car: 2008 Lotus Exige S
JandS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
ibwile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 135
Thanks for shining a light. I am digesting the manual and stumbling across a few "now where did they move this to?" moments as I am into the first months in a JK. Mostly I try to avoid comparisons to the TJ functions, but this one occurred to me the other day. I was looking in the EVIC to make sure I hadn't inadvertently turned off an alert/light related to the bags.
__________________
2013 JK Sport, Crush, 2 door, auto, soft-top
Mods: Stock for now except ACE sliders. (Building the wishlist)

2000 TJ Sahara [Destroyed in 2012:Hurricane Sandy RIP]
1993 YJ SE [Sold]
ibwile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
It is always on...unless parameters in the collision determine that it is safer not to blow the bags.

There are too many factors to put into a warning or advisement. All of the vehicle's sensors combine to determine how/when to blow the bags.

In other words, the bags will not blow if there is a toddler up there or someone is leaning forward.
How can you know that? What in the Jeep would make it NOT blow the bags with a small child up front? It doesn't have the ability to sense if an adult is leaning forward either.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,729
Kids? What about those women you see sitting in the passenger seat with their feet propped up on the dash? What do you think is going to happen to them if the bags deploy? Their body is going to get folded up like a lawn chair. I don't think any of them think about that.
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,792
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
It is always on...unless parameters in the collision determine that it is safer not to blow the bags.

There are too many factors to put into a warning or advisement. All of the vehicle's sensors combine to determine how/when to blow the bags.

In other words, the bags will not blow if there is a toddler up there or someone is leaning forward.
The front air bags will always go off when the sensors are tripped regardless whether or not anyone is sitting in the seats. The degree of deployment is controlled by a variety of factors which are too voluminous to list, that's why the air bags are "staged". And, that's the reason why Chrysler indicates that the seats should be as far back as possible with the occupants belted. If the seats are real close, someone is going to have a bad headache but they won't go through the windshield.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibwile View Post
I've been wondering about this as well. In the TJ you could manually disable the passenger airbag for just this reason. Seems strange that it was a safety feature before and now gone- or am I misunderstanding how this is functioning now?
Not all TJ's had that feature. It was the early years that had it available, my 2003 and 2005 did not, they were always on.

Allowing someone to turn them off was a nice idea, but how many people thought about turning them on again if an adult was sitting there? I think the liability was the reason they got rid of them.

That's also the reason all the visors say to put kids under 12 in the backseat. My son weighs about the same as my wife's friend and is within an inch of her in height, he just turned 13 a few months back as well and is bigger than my mom. I would imagine my wife's friend was a lot smaller at 12. My mom was 5'3" and 107 or so. I would want the airbag going off if they were sitting up front. I think there needs to be some common sense taken when thinking about who's sits up there but how many people have that? Keep the little kids in the back, if they are the size and weight of a small adult they should be ok up front.

Lawyers are there to protect the company.
Lusus_Naturae is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Commodore Perry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 334
There are federal regulations that all manufacturers have to follow, I'm pretty sure that includes a weight sensor for passenger front seat.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...tal+Air+Bags#4
Commodore Perry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,792
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Perry View Post
There are federal regulations that all manufacturers have to follow, I'm pretty sure that includes a weight sensor for passenger front seat.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...tal+Air+Bags#4
I guess Chrysler didn't get the memo. If they absolutely had to have it I'm sure they would have complied. They did in 2007. Regs must have changed as a result of staged air bags.

kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC