I finally Broke Down and Traded Up - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
I finally Broke Down and Traded Up

So I finally broke down and decided to buy a new 2012 and trade in the 2009. Obviously, the reason I really wanted it was because of the new colors.

No, but seriously, I really wanted the new engine and I prefer automatics, so the five speed is very attractive.

I talked to the dealer owner and they gave me $22k for trade-in. He said that cost would cover having their guys move all my equipment over to the new Jeep. (lift kit, bumper-winch combo, lighting and the bushwacker fender flares that were a beast to put on). I told them they can keep the old fenders and front bumper and put it on my old on, but I want the new tires and rims (even though I have bigger tires) because of winter conditions.

This time I'm doing it the right way. I'm having one built from the factory and I'm getting everything I want. I actually already sat down with the dealer and we built one with exactly what I wanted and we figured out how much financing would cost. At the end of the day, I'll only be paying about $25~ or so more than what I'm paying now for monthly payments(twist my arm why don't ya) It was an easy sell to my wife and in about five weeks or so, I'll have a new Jeep. Can't wait!!!!

Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Radnor, PA
Posts: 70
Sweet! New engine is great, pull like hell.

KINGOWOOD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
Can you elaborate on what specifically you gave them with your jeep? You said you moved things from the old to the new but what did the dealer get for $22K?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Can you elaborate on what specifically you gave them with your jeep? You said you moved things from the old to the new but what did the dealer get for $22K?
I'm letting the dealer keep the stock front bumper and stock fender flares. I don't need them.

Also I'm letting them keep the stock suspension since I have a lift kit.
Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
Did you get another rubi or?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Did you get another rubi or?
Yup, I decided to go with the Rubicon again. I'm thinking of going with the green. I wanted that cream white color, but I guess Its not available; I don't want red again and the blue is to bright. The Dozer Yellow is meh and gray and white are yuk. Black is ok, but I have a black truck so something different would be nice.

I really hope this is an upgrade to the '09 and I'm hoping I'm really happy with it.

See my old Jeep.
Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
So are they going to just put the stock parts on your 09 when they switch it? Did they charge you for the install of all these things? How did that work out?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
So are they going to just put the stock parts on your 09 when they switch it? Did they charge you for the install of all these things? How did that work out?
No they are not charging me...Well they are I'm sure, but it's included in the $22k or deducted; however you want to think of it.

The owner said its about a full days work for all the install of the extra parts. I'm quite happy with $22k. I honestly expected more around $15k-$19k is all I was going to get out of it. I have just over 37k miles on it which isn't all that much, but I have had it since 2009 so you can do the math.
Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddjb View Post
No they are not charging me...Well they are I'm sure, but it's included in the $22k or deducted; however you want to think of it.

The owner said its about a full days work for all the install of the extra parts. I'm quite happy with $22k. I honestly expected more around $15k-$19k is all I was going to get out of it. I have just over 37k miles on it which isn't all that much, but I have had it since 2009 so you can do the math.
That's pretty darn good man. Sounds like you got a good trade in worked out. Hmmm....how much do you think they'd give for a 2010 2 door, manual, AC, soft top, RC stubby bumper, TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks, 33x12.5R15 tires, MB72 15x8 alloy wheels, daystar dash, with 20,100 on the clock?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddjb View Post
Yup, I decided to go with the Rubicon again. I'm thinking of going with the green. I wanted that cream white color, but I guess Its not available; I don't want red again and the blue is to bright. The Dozer Yellow is meh and gray and white are yuk. Black is ok, but I have a black truck so something different would be nice.

I really hope this is an upgrade to the '09 and I'm hoping I'm really happy with it.

See my old Jeep.
If I may ask.....why do you not want red again? Is it the paint color/shade?
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
That's pretty darn good man. Sounds like you got a good trade in worked out. Hmmm....how much do you think they'd give for a 2010 2 door, manual, AC, soft top, RC stubby bumper, TF 2.5 coil lift with shocks, 33x12.5R15 tires, MB72 15x8 alloy wheels, daystar dash, with 20,100 on the clock?
Man, I've been waiting for you to make that move...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Man, I've been waiting for you to make that move...
Is that good or bad? Purely hypothetical of course.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Well, I'm happy if you're happy, but

22k for an'09 Rubi, is pretty low-

The '08 Rubis are still selling for 30/33 K here in California-

I won't try to make any excuse forit, it's just whats happening-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Is that good or bad? Purely hypothetical of course.
No no. It's good. Just saw it coming from about your second post, that's all. If I had a Jeep to trade in I'd be all over it, too.

Sounds like the OP's getting a helluva deal, to me. I'm still waiting on my 2012, but hey...2014's not all THAT far away.

Great minds think alike.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
So are they going to be redesigning the bodies and such again in 2014? I guess no body really knows other than when they've done it over the years in past.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
lol...I have no idea. I'm just sayin, if by some chance they do...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123
Is that good or bad? Purely hypothetical of course.
Unless there's features you just can't duplicate (ie, 4 doors, "need" for latest new color, Rubicon, etc.), I'd just regear your 6 speed to 4.56 or 4.88 and save a bunch of money. You do that and the DD performance difference going to the 3.6 is marginal.

Just my two cents. Besides, didn't you already go through this debate?

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Unless there's features you just can't duplicate (ie, 4 doors, "need" for latest new color, Rubicon, etc.), I'd just regear your 6 speed to 4.56 or 4.88 and save a bunch of money. You do that and the DD performance difference going to the 3.6 is marginal.

Just my two cents. Besides, didn't you already go through this debate?

Eh..it's purely hypothetical you see.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123

Eh..it's purely hypothetical you see.
Oh I get it. You may recall I also went through the debate at the peak of the hype. Was going to cost me about $5k to get into an unmodded 4 door Sport. No dice and, in retrospect, that was definitely the right call.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Still. Can't hurt to dream...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
j0nx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVa
Posts: 848
I swear where do you guys find these dealers?? Every dealer for any car I have bought will never do any special swaps for me like that. They all tell me to forget it.
__________________
Natural Green 2012 JKU Sport with S Package | Freedom Top | Auto | Side Steps | Max Tow | Connectivity | Remote Start
j0nx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
I swear where do you guys find these dealers?? Every dealer for any car I have bought will never do any special swaps for me like that. They all tell me to forget it.
I know everyone at the dealership; especially the owner real well. They wouldn't steer me wrong and they most of the time take care of me.
Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
But are you getting a good deal? $22k for a 2009 Rubi 4 door isn't anything to write home about, is it?? What's the blue book trade in value?

Edit: The answer to my own question using your zip code would be about $23,700 (see here). So $22k and transfering all your mods is alright I suppose. A private sale could be expected to get somewhere over $26k (here). So not exactly a killer deal, but not highway robbery either.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NW GA
Posts: 162
^^ agree. I would think it would be much closer to 30k. I don't know what all extras it has...
2011_Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Zeddjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nekoosa, WI
Posts: 133
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeddjb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
But are you getting a good deal? $22k for a 2009 Rubi 4 door isn't anything to write home about, is it?? What's the blue book trade in value?

Edit: The answer to my own question using your zip code would be about $23,700 (see here). So $22k and transfering all your mods is alright I suppose. A private sale could be expected to get somewhere over $26k (here). So not exactly a killer deal, but not highway robbery either.
That's what I just did also. There is some wear and tear, scratches and whatnot. When I did the blue book I came up with about the same number, so $22k is a pretty good trade in deal, especially considering they are going to swap out the equipment.
Zeddjb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddjb View Post
That's what I just did also. There is some wear and tear, scratches and whatnot. When I did the blue book I came up with about the same number, so $22k is a pretty good trade in deal, especially considering they are going to swap out the equipment.
In MN a 22K trade would save you about another $1,300 in taxes as well making it about $23.3K trade value here
basecamper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #27
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,429
I don't quite understand what happens with taxes when you trade. Can someone explain this?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
My '12 JKU Rubi auto hardtop tow, remote start, climate was $33.7K. Why would anyone pay near 30 for an '09?
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
BBQTIME

WF Supporting Member
 
hayhonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123
I don't quite understand what happens with taxes when you trade. Can someone explain this?
Yes please explain. The way the dealer was explaining it to me sounded like a creepy sales pitch. If it's legit maybe i'll accept their offer.
hayhonker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Why do people put $30K, in a 1932 ford ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JKs1H1 View Post
My '12 JKU Rubi auto hardtop tow, remote start, climate was $33.7K. Why would anyone pay near 30 for an '09?
Why does anybody buy a DeTomaso Pantera ?

Why are '08 JKURs still going for over 30 K in California--

Why do people bet on Horse races-

Like I said earlier--THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS--

I think you should accept it-

JIMBO

__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC