Installing a Warn 9.5Ti winch on JK Mopar Bumper - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
Installing a Warn 9.5Ti winch on JK Mopar Bumper

Anyone out there planning to install a Warn winch (9.5Ti or equivalent) on your Jeep JK? If you have a Mopar Off Road Bumper, here's a "How To" article on the install.

Installing a Warn 9.5Ti Winch on a Mopar Bumper « JPFreek Adventure Magazine – Jeep and Outdoor Adventure Publication

Also, send us photos and comments of your rig with your Warn winch. We may publish them in an upcoming issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine and would like your input. Thanks!

__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
When I get home I'll post up some pics of my recently installed warn 9000i. It's sitting in a rugged ridge xhd full width bumper on my 2010 unlimited rubi. Great winch.

ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
kawasakizx636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 108
i'll be installing the warn 9.5ti winch in an aev bumper, once i receive it. I should have the bumper friday/monday, and the winch will come shortly after
I'll post pics once i have winch installed.
kawasakizx636 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
Awesome! Keep me posted as I'd like to see those photos and hear about the install(s).
__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
As promised here they are. The wife took these while a friend and I installed. Wish the pics were better but they were taken with an iphone and the not so bright shop coupled with the superbright sunshine beating in the shop makes for washed out pics. The only thing different now is the the power and ground wires have been loomed. The bumper/winch install took roughly 2 hours including removing all the stock parts. Was easy as pie. Only needed help throwing the bumper/winch combo up on the frame horns. To be honest the winch part of it was honestly one of the easiest items I have ever installed. Looks great and I get lots of compliments on it. Went with the warn because of the history behind the name. You have to pay for it but piece of mind is worth it. This winch has not been tested but another 9000i bought at the same time by my good friend has saved our butts a couple times. I also have a 12k warn from the factory on my 2010 power wagon. Feels good knowing that is hiding behind the bumper. On to the pics.

New bumper getting ready for the fog light swap.

Grill removed, getting ready to pull the bumper and plastic out for good.

No more fogs

Top plastic panel removed

All naked and dirty

More of the same

Man that cavity holds the dirt

Bumper with fogs installed sitting on the frame horns to check fitment and clearance for the disco motor.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
MORE

Winch bolted to the bumper. Bolting her to the frame horns for the final time with a friend who helped lift it up on there. Thanks again Kevin.

All bolted up. Note the warning tag.

The hook looks better, no?

Hooked to it's new home.

Another friend of mine dropped in to drool. He is my jeeping buddy. Also lended a hand with the bumper ends. Note the over rider hoop is now installed

All done--it also now has a fairlead license plate holder.

And another

Finally, one of my favorite pics from before the install.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
Looks great!!! How difficult was it to get the bolts off from the stock bumper before the new bumper went on? I remember it was tough as heck with my TJ.

I agree about Warn products as well. Their winches are top-notch and they have always been very gracious to us as a publication which has been an added bonus too. Good choice on the winch no doubt.

Any photos of the rig with the new bumper/winch on the trail? Again, nice job on the install!
__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFreek1 View Post
Looks great!!! How difficult was it to get the bolts off from the stock bumper before the new bumper went on? I remember it was tough as heck with my TJ.

I agree about Warn products as well. Their winches are top-notch and they have always been very gracious to us as a publication which has been an added bonus too. Good choice on the winch no doubt.

Any photos of the rig with the new bumper/winch on the trail? Again, nice job on the install!
Thanks for the kind words. I do not have any trail pics that include the bumper. Mainly because I have not needed to use the winch yet. The super stuck I got in that made me get the winch was because I was pulling a toyota out and I just got myself stuck. Both friends that were along got winches as well so they have not put me in a spot that got me stuck. I have been through worse trails since but the old rubi just chugged on through just like it went through where I got stuck twice before I had to setup for a pull. It was uphill and our severe lack of proper recovery gear put me way too close to the crap and I just dug a hole. The first time I have to use it pics will be uploaded right away.

Edit-the original bumper nuts came off ok. Just took a bit because the damn bumper bolts are so long. Why they do that I have no idea. Same thing with the bolts on the new bumper.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
OregonTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 778
nice!
__________________
2005 Wrangler Sport, I6, Auto
17" Incubus Poltergeist Wheels
Cooper LT 265/70/R17 Discoverer SST 32"
RC 3.25" Suspension Lift
AFTB

OregonTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSRT View Post
As promised here they are. The wife took these while a friend and I installed. Wish the pics were better but they were taken with an iphone and the not so bright shop coupled with the superbright sunshine beating in the shop makes for washed out pics. The only thing different now is the the power and ground wires have been loomed. The bumper/winch install took roughly 2 hours including removing all the stock parts. Was easy as pie. Only needed help throwing the bumper/winch combo up on the frame horns. To be honest the winch part of it was honestly one of the easiest items I have ever installed. Looks great and I get lots of compliments on it. Went with the warn because of the history behind the name. You have to pay for it but piece of mind is worth it. This winch has not been tested but another 9000i bought at the same time by my good friend has saved our butts a couple times. I also have a 12k warn from the factory on my 2010 power wagon. Feels good knowing that is hiding behind the bumper. On to the pics.

New bumper getting ready for the fog light swap.

Grill removed, getting ready to pull the bumper and plastic out for good.

No more fogs

Top plastic panel removed

All naked and dirty

More of the same

Man that cavity holds the dirt

Bumper with fogs installed sitting on the frame horns to check fitment and clearance for the disco motor.
Nice write up. I am in considering the same setup except with the Warn M8000. After it was all installed, did you get much sinking of the front end on the springs? If so, what did you do? Spring spacers?
corima is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Damn thats a nice looking winch, got the m8000 beats in the looks department
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
ColdSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairbanks,AK
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by corima

Nice write up. I am in considering the same setup except with the Warn M8000. After it was all installed, did you get much sinking of the front end on the springs? If so, what did you do? Spring spacers?
I dropped about half an inch with this setup. Can't really tell by looking at it. Lift is going on soon. I don't mind a slight forward rake. The new rear bumper/tire carrier will level it back out some. The m8000 is a bit lighter so you might not drop as much as I did.
ColdSRT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
That really turned out nice man, congrats on an awesome looking rig. Photos are good too.
__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks

Thanks for the install instructions for the 9.5. I'll be installing mine over the weekend.
jcourtney986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
No problem. Shoot over some photos, or post them up, once you've got it all setup. Good luck!
__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Maybe I found a more current bumper than the one above, but I didn't have any problems at all. No cutting, nothing. On and in in 30 minutes. Didn't even have to take the grill out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepfront.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	43647  
jcourtney986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
txoutdoorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Send a message via Skype™ to txoutdoorx4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourtney986 View Post
Maybe I found a more current bumper than the one above, but I didn't have any problems at all. No cutting, nothing. On and in in 30 minutes. Didn't even have to take the grill out.
That setup looks GREAT!!!

__________________
OutdoorX4
www.outdoorx4.com
www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
www.twitter.com/OutdoorX4

* 2007 WK 4x4 3.0L CRD
* 2005 Ellsworth Truth
txoutdoorx4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
jeep , jpfreek , mopar , warn , winch

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
warn 9.5ti winch with wired remote in poughkeepsie,ny dmolisee Classifieds Archive 0 09-20-2009 06:49 PM
warn xd9000 winch question rockywrangler TJ General Discussion Forum 12 07-03-2009 01:21 PM
Warn winch with Optima red top? Mesah538 TJ General Discussion Forum 17 07-17-2008 06:29 PM
Home made TJ front winch bumper AussieDave TJ Pics Forum 10 02-08-2007 05:09 PM
winch behind a tube bumper???? upinar TJ General Discussion Forum 7 01-29-2007 10:04 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC