Installing lights in the rear bumper - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
I'd like a cheaper hobby

WF Supporting Member
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 796
Images: 65
Installing lights in the rear bumper

So I replaced my factor front bumper with one that doesn't use the factory fogs. I have KC fogs on there now and they are waaay better than the factory, so I'm not sad about losing the factory fogs in the front.... but I was thinking before I throw the factory bumper out with the garbage I might be able to use the factory fogs as rear lights.

So... I've searched but haven't seen a post about this. I'm thinking that there is plenty of depth in the factory rear for the factory fogs. Has anyone modded their factory rear bumper to use the factory fog lights?

I think that if I cut out the raised area just around the fogs in the front and plasti-welded it into the appropriate cutout in the rear...

Anyway if someone has done this or can point me to a post I'd appreciate it.

ThingsAbove is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 287
consider "paying it forward" and posting your factory bumper on the classified section, im certain a fellow Jeeper could use it, especially if you're just going to toss it!

I realize that doesnt answer your question, to which i have no idea LOL

__________________
2013 JKU Sahara
nitroz680 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
I'd like a cheaper hobby

WF Supporting Member
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 796
Images: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroz680 View Post
consider "paying it forward" and posting your factory bumper on the classified section, im certain a fellow Jeeper could use it, especially if you're just going to toss it!

I realize that doesnt answer your question, to which i have no idea LOL
I had to use a couple of the trapezoidal metal plates that go behind the frame horns to make my new bumper fit (separate story). I also reused the plastic plate between the bumper and the grille (although I had to trim it). So it's missing pieces. The only worthwhile bits would seem to be the lights and possibly the tow hooks. If I don't end up using them for a project I'll probably let someone have them for the cost of shipping.
ThingsAbove is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
enjerhoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Top of the Hill
Posts: 907
I plan on relocating my PIAA's to the rear when I get a winch but I have an after market rear bumper so the install would be different.

I say go for it.

Think about a 5 wire relay so you can tie to the reverse lights and have an aux switch interdependent of the reverse so that they can be illuminated by a separate switch on those occasions...........when they are needed.

But don't forget the diode & I am not sure if the reverse light circuit uses PWM but it probably does so you would need to isolate / buffer with some caps.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Black Forest Green 2012 JKU Sahara, Tinted Windows, Chromed Door Handles, Star Fab Door Stops, Brake controller, Poly Filled Speakers, Black Hole Mod, DIY Grill Inserts, Blinker Mod, Aries Front Bumper, Spyder Rear Bumper, 2" Rancho Lift, Quick Disconnects, 9K winch, 315/70/17 Duratracs on 17x8.5 Warlords, IL-PU36, X-treme 9008 bulbs & PIAA's
enjerhoo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
2resa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 279
The good thing about modding OEM Jeep parts is that if you mess it up or aren't happy with the result, you can just about always find a replacement for cheap if not free. So go for it, take pics, and let us know how it turns out.
2resa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
I'd like a cheaper hobby

WF Supporting Member
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 796
Images: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjerhoo View Post
I plan on relocating my PIAA's to the rear when I get a winch but I have an after market rear bumper so the install would be different.

I say go for it.

Think about a 5 wire relay so you can tie to the reverse lights and have an aux switch interdependent of the reverse so that they can be illuminated by a separate switch on those occasions...........when they are needed.

But don't forget the diode & I am not sure if the reverse light circuit uses PWM but it probably does so you would need to isolate / buffer with some caps.
I used a relay with a signal wire from my original fog lights for the KC foglights and no capacitor/diode was required. So I'm fairly sure I could do the same with the rear lights signaled by the backup light.
ThingsAbove is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ny
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsAbove View Post
So I replaced my factor front bumper with one that doesn't use the factory fogs. I have KC fogs on there now and they are waaay better than the factory, so I'm not sad about losing the factory fogs in the front.... but I was thinking before I throw the factory bumper out with the garbage I might be able to use the factory fogs as rear lights.

So... I've searched but haven't seen a post about this. I'm thinking that there is plenty of depth in the factory rear for the factory fogs. Has anyone modded their factory rear bumper to use the factory fog lights?

I think that if I cut out the raised area just around the fogs in the front and plasti-welded it into the appropriate cutout in the rear...

Anyway if someone has done this or can point me to a post I'd appreciate it.

I was thinking of welding in too. Or use the sahara metal cover and adapt it to the rear. The only other idea is to use 2.5 leds round lights I found on ebay. some guys use the 4 inch they just seem too large to me, but the 4 inch are dot for back ups if that maters the 2.5 inch are not. Not sure how the welding will look. I think ypu might be the pioneer on this mod. I was going to pick up a rear takeoff and try it so not to mess up my own. I just hit a few financial bumps recently and put this project on hold for now. Please post you results.

deepbluerubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
lights , rear bumper

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC