Instrument cluster shorted out, and my battle with Chrysler to get it repaired. - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
I got a call from my case manager earlier, pretty much telling me the same thing the regional rep told me. "We're working on it". I don't doubt that, but it doesn't make me feel much better.

__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
You're dead on in my opinion. But, your first paragraph details what the regional Rep said he was there to do. He said he's going to find one, or get one made ASAP, and shook my hand on it. We'll see if he's worth his word.
I doubt the regional rep has that kind of authority; it usually takes an executive to interfere with established production loops from my experience. Now, it's been more than 10 years since I was in the business so the powers of regional reps may have changed a bit. They act as the manufacturer's eyes/ears arbiter regarding sales/service, but have to really push the chain of command to get your part expedited like it should be.

Again, things may be different but a regional rep does not wield as much power as we'd like to think. No offense meant to regional reps as they have a tough, high-pressure (from 3 directions) job to do. Some execs that have to be prodded may balk at lifting a finger for an instrument panel but hit the speed dial if it's an engine or transmission -- it's perception with some execs even though the Jeep is stranded regardless of the part in question.

__________________
There are many whose education has exceeded their ability to comprehend.
BManz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 196
What were you expecting? You bought a Chrysler. Next time buy the car from a company whose warranty includes a loaner / rental if the repair requires overnight stay or parts are not available immediately. Most car manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, VW, ...) have this clearly stated in their warranty terms.
jannikt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #34
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Well, he certainly talked like he was the man to get this done. John Lu was his name.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannikt View Post
What were you expecting? You bought a Chrysler. Next time buy the car from a company whose warranty includes a loaner / rental if the repair requires overnight stay or parts are not available immediately. Most car manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, VW, ...) have this clearly stated in their warranty terms.
While not part of the warranty, it kinda seems to me that common courtesy when you are going to have a customer's vehicle in on a warranty repair for an estimated 3 weeks just to get the part, would be to offer some sort of alternative means of transportation. This dealership DID provide me a rental during my first year of ownership for a recall fix, something the Regional Rep said they are more likely to do in the first 12 months or 12k miles. If that's an acceptable level of customer service to you, so be it. You're the first one to say so.

Which still does not solve the real problem of the apparent inability to locate a replacement instrument cluster for my Jeep in a reasonable amount of time. I have owned many vehicles, and had many issues. This is a first for me.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Did some digging and found some distributors that say they can get these clusters in 5 days tops. If that's the truth, something is really fishy.......
One guy explained to me that these are refurb units. They get sent in, repaired, and exchanged for defective units. OK, if that's the case, why can I not get one off of a used Wrangler? They have a few on the lot. The dealer said they are VIN coded, but obviously this can be reflashed if they are indeed sending out refurbs.
I feel like I'm being lied to now.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,075
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Mr. Toyota is back. I wonder if he finds delight in reading about the OPs situation?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Got an update from my service writer at the dealer. He said they have to use newly manufactured Chrysler parts for warranty repairs, which makes good sense. He also said the Regional Rep thinks we can have my Jeep fixed next week, so fingers crossed.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
ratchettt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Foothills of Appalachia
Posts: 492
My god! I just read your thread. This is awful, illustrating the culture of Fiat/Chrysler in a way I hope I never have reason to experience. Just awful!
__________________
2013 White JKR 4.1 Automatic

There are no winners here, just beguiled participants
ratchettt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
My god! I just read your thread. This is awful, illustrating the culture of Fiat/Chrysler in a way I hope I never have reason to experience. Just awful!
I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I would hope my experience is an anomaly, but I have read other stories like mine on here in the past.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #41
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannikt View Post
What were you expecting? You bought a Chrysler. Next time buy the car from a company whose warranty includes a loaner / rental if the repair requires overnight stay or parts are not available immediately. Most car manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, VW, ...) have this clearly stated in their warranty terms.


Hey MTH, wouldn't this be a great time to test out your new super powers?
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #42
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Got a text from my service adviser this morning. They extended the rental at no cost to me, and the arrival date for the part got pushed up one whole day to the 19th. I'm still in utter disbelief that there is not one single instrument cluster in the whole damn country.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
This sucks! I hope they resolve it and you're problem free going forward. Good luck.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,035
I can truly beleive the story you are getting. Especially the CanBus architecture that these thing have. A TIPM swap is about the same thing. The dealers won't deal with junkyard replacements. It goes on their startscan and the computer has to accept the hardware. I do not think there is a service department around that will try to circumvent that. The entire thing is like network endpoints with mac addresses.

Hopefully as time passes, this will revert to find it and swap it and be done with it from old. Here's hoping.


Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
This sucks! I hope they resolve it and you're problem free going forward. Good luck.
Thanks. I will be problem free after this, at least from this Jeep.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
I can truly beleive the story you are getting. Especially the CanBus architecture that these thing have. A TIPM swap is about the same thing. The dealers won't deal with junkyard replacements. It goes on their startscan and the computer has to accept the hardware. I do not think there is a service department around that will try to circumvent that. The entire thing is like network endpoints with mac addresses.

Hopefully as time passes, this will revert to find it and swap it and be done with it from old. Here's hoping.


Bob K.
It's amazing, isn't it? I have a problem with my 55 Chevy, I can diagnose it, and find a replacement part if needed in the same day. My Jeep will have been at the dealer for 3 weeks just waiting on a damn part, that should be stocked. The gauge cluster shorts out, and the rest of the interior craps out with it? Are you kidding me?
What a great place we have put ourselves in. Overly-complex vehicles that have consistently driven up the price of ownership, and for what? Safety? People still die on the highways. Fuel standards? Small cars averaged better mileage in the 80's when they didn't all weigh 2 tons. Things will only get worse if we continue down this path.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, GA.
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
It's amazing, isn't it? I have a problem with my 55 Chevy, I can diagnose it, and find a replacement part if needed in the same day. My Jeep will have been at the dealer for 3 weeks just waiting on a damn part, that should be stocked. The gauge cluster shorts out, and the rest of the interior craps out with it? Are you kidding me?
What a great place we have put ourselves in. Overly-complex vehicles that have consistently driven up the price of ownership, and for what? Safety? People still die on the highways. Fuel standards? Small cars averaged better mileage in the 80's when they didn't all weigh 2 tons. Things will only get worse if we continue down this path.
Between NHTSA, EPA and frivolous lawsuits it can only get worse and more expensive.
parker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Bourget117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 241
I've been going through a similar situation with my sahara for the past month and a half. Already three trips to the shop. Horn keeps shorting out and going off. Battery ends up going dead because of it even with horn disconnected. Dash warning lights all come on and off at different times. Getting electrical shocks sometimes when touching steering wheel. I keep going back and forth with service manager. He keeps going back and forth with jeep engineering. Now I'm going back and forth with someone at corporate. It never ends. Having more problems with this vehicle than my last three combined.
Bourget117 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourget117 View Post
I've been going through a similar situation with my sahara for the past month and a half. Already three trips to the shop. Horn keeps shorting out and going off. Battery ends up going dead because of it even with horn disconnected. Dash warning lights all come on and off at different times. Getting electrical shocks sometimes when touching steering wheel. I keep going back and forth with service manager. He keeps going back and forth with jeep engineering. Now I'm going back and forth with someone at corporate. It never ends. Having more problems with this vehicle than my last three combined.
Three trips for the same issue? Have you looked into your state's Lemon Laws? Sounds like you might have a case.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Bourget117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
Three trips for the same issue? Have you looked into your state's Lemon Laws? Sounds like you might have a case.
I'm trying to give them one more chance to get this right. But yeah it's been three times and I've threatened them with a lemon law case if its not resolved shortly. Funny thing is that they still don't seem to care.
Bourget117 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, GA.
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourget117 View Post
I'm trying to give them one more chance to get this right. But yeah it's been three times and I've threatened them with a lemon law case if its not resolved shortly. Funny thing is that they still don't seem to care.
Here in Georgia you have to let them make 4 attempts to repair. Then you must inform them and have it written on the work order that it is their last/final attempt. After that you must talk to Chrysler and they have the option of having you try one other dealers service dept. before considering it for a lemon.

Then after that doesn't fix it, it's time for a big corporate run around. That's how it worked here in my state. Then after all of this, if you prevail, they still have the option to replace the vehicle rather than do a straight buy back, if it's less than 12 months old.

Just went through this horrible ordeal with an '11 GC. And no they DON'T care.

EDIT- Also if each trip requires a different part or process to repair, then technically it's not the same problem, but different problems causing the same symptom. Lemon laws favor the manufacturer heavily.
parker65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #52
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Jesus.
If we could only somehow separate Jeep from Chrysler.......
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #53
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Well, tomorrow is supposed to be the day. We'll see what happens.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #54
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Did you see my thread on my jeep axle? Took my dealer 3 weeks to get a dana 30 axle in after they sold me a jeep that had an axle that had been broken in half and welded back together at an angle other than straight. It's taken care of now though.

You know they were putting dana 30 axles in jeeps on an assembly line somewhere...

Thank god i had another car to drive at the time.
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW WA
Posts: 998
Man, rough go with this one. Hang in there and stick to your guns.

I had a throw down with my dealer over a warranty repair and got the corporate office to pay me back for parts, labor and the full cost of my rental car including gas. Keep very detailed records.

Just out of curiosity is Chrysler going to re-program your odometer to reflect the existing 18K miles on your Jeep?
If they don't will your tilte's odometer statement have to be changed to "not actual" once it's paid off making it a branded title just like a totalled out salvage vehicle?

Sorry, not trying to complicate your existing problems with them just curious how they handle the odometer reading when a new cluster is installed.
TrueNorth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Man, rough go with this one. Hang in there and stick to your guns.

I had a throw down with my dealer over a warranty repair and got the corporate office to pay me back for parts, labor and the full cost of my rental car including gas. Keep very detailed records.

Just out of curiosity is Chrysler going to re-program your odometer to reflect the existing 18K miles on your Jeep?
If they don't will your tilte's odometer statement have to be changed to "not actual" once it's paid off making it a branded title just like a totalled out salvage vehicle?

Sorry, not trying to complicate your existing problems with them just curious how they handle the odometer reading when a new cluster is installed.
im fairly sure the odometer is stored in the ECM and that this is the main reason that everyone switched to digital odometers?
michiganadam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Not sure where the odometer is stored, but they did say they would have to program the new cluster to have the right mileage.
If for some reason this leads to a "Not Actual Mileage" situation, I may have to go insane.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #58
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Part is in, and it's being work on right now.
I asked about the mileage thing, and was told the PCM stores the mileage, and when they program the new cluster, it must mach the number in the PCM, or it won't work. It's a failsafe to prevent odometer tampering. Good info to know.
__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #59
Jeeper
 
BeanieAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
Part is in, and it's being work on right now.
Holy $H*+.....really? Did you ever think this day would come? I hope this is the very end of all your troubles
__________________
2013 JKU Oscar Mike "Commando Green" - My 1st Jeep! - ...GONE...02/13-10/13
BeanieAZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #60
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,708
Got my Jeep back, and all is well.
So I then proceeded to take it home, and strip all my stuff off of it. I decided during this process that it's getting traded in. Given the number of problems I've had with it, and considering the warranty is up in July, I just can't risk more problems with my daily driver. I also will NEVER do business with Chrysler again. I'm absolutely gutted to have to do this, but it feels like the right decision. When I bought it, I intended to run it into the ground. Now I just want to run it off a cliff.
My plan will be to pick up something a little more reliable for daily duties, and then maybe buy a nice TJ in a while. Why a TJ? Simplicity. You'll have to forgive me, but my experience with my JK has taught me that they're just too complicated for their own good, and Chrysler is currently not up to the task of engineering them correctly. My instrument cluster shorting and causing all the chaos it did (and all the electrical problems I had with my Magnum) just reinforces that. I certainly don't dislike the JK, far from it. I wish all you guys the best of luck with yours, but as long as Chrysler is calling the shots with Jeep, they've lost me as a customer

__________________
Bill
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC