Is the dual top worth it? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
tangofoxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 43
Is the dual top worth it?

So I traded in my 2008 2 dr. Sahara (Freedom top) and ordered a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon in Mango Tango with dual tops. After a 7 week wait I picked up my new baby on Saturday. Today my 19 year old son and I removed the Freedom Top and installed the soft top. The instructions for the soft top in the manual are not the best. Who would have thought that carrying the Freedom top in 90 degree heat to the shed would be the easy part? It took me over 2 hours to install the soft top. The instructions are terrible. I wanted to put it up just so I could learn how to do it. Now I do not have the energy to take it down. Perhaps this weekend and I'll take pictures.

tangofoxtrot is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofoxtrot View Post
So I traded in my 2008 2 dr. Sahara (Freedom top) and ordered a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon in Mango Tango with dual tops. After a 7 week wait I picked up my new baby on Saturday. Today my 19 year old son and I removed the Freedom Top and installed the soft top. The instructions for the soft top in the manual are not the best. Who would have thought that carrying the Freedom top in 90 degree heat to the shed would be the easy part? It took me over 2 hours to install the soft top. The instructions are terrible. I wanted to put it up just so I could learn how to do it. Now I do not have the energy to take it down. Perhaps this weekend and I'll take pictures.
The first time is hardest because you have to install all the hardware. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have it up and down in 5 minutes. The longest part for me is carefully rolling my windows in my Bestop Window Duffle. I take particular care of them to make them last. I run the soft top year round.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
biffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: somewhere in Big Ten country
Posts: 419
I had the same issue when I installed the soft top for the first time on my Unlimited. It took me hours to figure it out. There was nothing in the owners manual that was of much help, and really nothing online either. I just kept watching the owner manual DVD over and over paying attention to where those stupid plastic inserts went. Once I got that all figured out it went pretty fast. Now I've got it down where I can get the top up or down pretty quickly and without much hassel by myself. Daggo66 is right, the top comes down in less then 5 minutes and goes up in about as much time. Within 10 minutes I can have the top down and doors off. The bummer is that it's been raining so much around here that I can't really leave the top down all day. I also don't know what to do with the hard top. Right now I've got it rigged up below my deck and it's pretty safe, but not the long term solution I'm hoping for.

Have fun with the jeep, and keep that top down as much as you can!
biffman is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
VVCG33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 561
__________________
If I wanted a Hummer, I would have asked your sister.


I LOVERMONT
VVCG33 is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
I love my dual top. But my Jeep is a TJ, I didn't have any trouble switching.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
brodydez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 143
It actually only took me about 20 minutes or so to get mine installed the first time. The hard part for me was the back windows and wrapping them in that channel along the door. Once I got that done it was a breeze.

Having dual tops is very nice! Hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. I actually just totally removed the soft and I am now on a bikini top and a deck cover for the back.

Brody
brodydez is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
I love my dual top. But my Jeep is a TJ, I didn't have any trouble switching.
Thst's because TJ's are amazing. They practically install their own top.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Thst's because TJ's are amazing. They practically install their own top.
Isn't that a JK I see in your avatar Tom? You wouldn't be poking fun at me would ya?
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger View Post
Isn't that a JK I see in your avatar Tom? You wouldn't be poking fun at me would ya?
I would never do that!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
I would never do that!
Good, because I've never said anything bad about a JK.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brunswick, Md
Posts: 31
lol my husband, brother, and my sister's boyfriend spent about 2 hours on sunday trying to put the soft top on for the first time.. they thought they could do it without the instructions... it was about 95 outside.. and a great show... they had to keep taking it on and off because they did things in the wrong order. Meanwhile I sat by with instructions in my lap laughing... they eventually got it on and said they would always remember how to do it right because they had done it soo wrong the first time...

But seriously... dual tops are great... soft in summer, and hard in the winter..
themoonischeese is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Metrowest
Posts: 6
My jk came w the freedom top - wound up ordering the soft post sale - my opinion is unless you have a place to store the freedom top - stick w/the soft top only.

spent 4 hours assembling it - smooth sailing up til the part where you tuck the fabric top into the channel in the front header - the language was odd and almost horked it up big time there - takes 10 minutes to take down and 15-20 to fully batten windows and everything back up

I am new to jeeps so this is my first experience and my rookie opinion

X-Hsieh
X-HsiehGuy is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 2
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LizR
Mine has the dual top. My 17 year old daughter helped me remove hard top and install soft top. We love it. I did learn the hard way to not use the straps to roll the back window up - it is better to take completely off and wrap. I now have a small amount of scratches from rolling up once. Both tops are the way to go if you have a place to store one.
LizR is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
Mine has the dual top. My 17 year old daughter helped me remove hard top and install soft top. We love it. I did learn the hard way to not use the straps to roll the back window up - it is better to take completely off and wrap. I now have a small amount of scratches from rolling up once. Both tops are the way to go if you have a place to store one.
Anyone who had difficulty putting on the soft top for the first time should officially be embarassed now!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,800
Gulp.....mine took me about 8 hours. But it was after sale not dual top and it came completely disassembled in a box. I tried very hard to read ALL of the instructions. Finally after a really long time towards the end trying to figure out all the bows and positions of them I just laid all the pieces out and put them where they looked like they should go and put it on the jeep. And finally it was on. Take down time is now about 5 minutes put up time about 8 minutes....I have two extra doors.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
Gulp.....mine took me about 8 hours. But it was after sale not dual top and it came completely disassembled in a box. I tried very hard to read ALL of the instructions. Finally after a really long time towards the end trying to figure out all the bows and positions of them I just laid all the pieces out and put them where they looked like they should go and put it on the jeep. And finally it was on. Take down time is now about 5 minutes put up time about 8 minutes....I have two extra doors.
Turn in your man card immediately!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Metrowest
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Turn in your man card immediately!
are we talking apples to apples? dual top groups come with 90% of the top assembled - just needs to be mounted?

Post order tops need to be assembled from a box of parts that looks like a big boys erector set.

I think service departments that know what they are doing still take about 2 hours.

X-Hsieh
X-HsiehGuy is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-HsiehGuy View Post
are we talking apples to apples? dual top groups come with 90% of the top assembled - just needs to be mounted?

Post order tops need to be assembled from a box of parts that looks like a big boys erector set.

I think service departments that know what they are doing still take about 2 hours.

X-Hsieh
Did you read LizR's post?
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
Sponsoring Vendor
 
pat@fieldsauto.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Glenview
Posts: 3,182
New soft top for 2010 is srping loaded and a lot easier to use.

This links hould help.
My Jeep: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top Guide
pat@fieldsauto.com is offline   Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Drifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 29
Today I found out that the TJ I got used at a dealership was not wired for the hard top or had the tubing and switches for the wiper set up. On top of that the defroster is partially broken with one of the cables and the connector detached. Not sure if I should fight to get it set up to use the the wiper, fluid and light or bargain my way to a matching rim for the spare tire and maybe other perks. I don't really have anywhere to put the hard top anyway so sell it? It seems like the going price for a used hard top is anywhere from $250 to $500?
Drifty is offline   Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Drifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty View Post
Today I found out that the TJ I got used at a dealership was not wired for the hard top or had the tubing and switches for the wiper set up. On top of that the defroster is partially broken with one of the cables and the connector detached. Not sure if I should fight to get it set up to use the the wiper, fluid and light or bargain my way to a matching rim for the spare tire and maybe other perks. I don't really have anywhere to put the hard top anyway so sell it? It seems like the going price for a used hard top is anywhere from $250 to $500?
Looks like I might be interested in selling the hard top. Any suggestions or tips?

Drifty is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSD Plug Wires worth it? BigRed TJ General Discussion Forum 9 06-26-2012 10:16 PM
Any Reviews on Dual Steering Stabilizers? BigMike General Jeep Discussion 10 11-29-2010 04:19 PM
Worth Fixing Up? Shamus208 TJ General Discussion Forum 8 08-30-2009 09:24 PM
Are monotubes really worth the $$$ ? cavediverjc TJ General Discussion Forum 15 01-21-2008 12:37 AM
Is dual steering stabilizers overkill? BigMike YJ General Discussion Forum 4 05-16-2006 11:41 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC