I've searched, and cant find what Im looking for.... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
I've searched, and cant find what Im looking for....

...Regarding a tire size choice. I am NOT lifting, as I need the step in height close to where it is now +1-2" Max, and I want to keep the CG low, as my off roading consists of steep climbs, rather than rocks. That being said, I cant seem to find info as to whether or not 285/70/17's will fit without rubbing, on factory wheels, and 1.5" spidertrax spacers. I have an 2013 JKUR. The threads Im finding, people have no issues running this size and a small lift, but I don't want to lift. So.....Will this set up work? Anyone else running a similar setup? Thanks for all the input

__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Happy JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 284
Images: 3
Should be fine, you want 4.5" backspacing, OEM wheels have 6" and with the 1.5" spacer it will put it at 4.5" right where it needs to be. Do a search on backspacing for peace of mind.

__________________
2011 Mango Tango 2 door
Happy JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy JK View Post
Should be fine, you want 4.5" backspacing, OEM wheels have 6" and with the 1.5" spacer it will put it at 4.5" right where it needs to be. Do a search on backspacing for peace of mind.
Thanks! I read about the back spacing, and figured that 4.5" or so is a good spot to be at, so that's why Im getting the spacers. However, trying to find if that size tire will fit, without a lift, seems to be a cloudy topic. Some have rubbing, others say they don't rub, but have a small lift, etc.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Happy JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 284
Images: 3
Depends, just like man, no two tire are the same
__________________
2011 Mango Tango 2 door
Happy JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy JK View Post
Depends, just like man, no two tire are the same
Gotcha. I guess I'll give it a shot when the time comes.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 340
Factory is 255/75/17. Yours is 285/70/17.

The new tire is 30mm (about 1.25" wider) with half of that on either side of the center so it would stick in ~3/4". So your 1.5" spacers are more than enough. Height is about 3/4" taller or ~3/8" larger radius - again fine.
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12JKUR with 52K miles)
'13 JKU Sport (blue one)
'13 JKU stripped (red one)
'10 JKU Sport (other red one)
'08 JKU (green one)
5JKs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5JKs View Post
Factory is 255/75/17. Yours is 285/70/17.

The new tire is 30mm (about 1.25" wider) with half of that on either side of the center so it would stick in ~3/4". So your 1.5" spacers are more than enough. Height is about 3/4" taller or ~3/8" larger radius - again fine.
Thanks!
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
dpostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Moncton NB, CAN
Posts: 351
My 2013 Sahara Unlimited has no lift whatsoever. I put 285/75R16 Duratrac, this is exactly the same size as a 285/70R17. I put them on a Procomp 7069 16X8 rim with 4" backspacing. I put one on last Friday and tried driving around forward and back with full turn left & right. Did not try wheeling it. But I had no rubbing whatsoever. I think 4" BS is a bit more than what I needed but I won't need spacers.

BTW, I know the feeling of looking around for all this info, there are so many variables and so much information that it gets confusing.

dp
dpostman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 74
Chris, I have a 2008 JKUR. No lift, no levelers. I put Duratrac 285/70/17s on stock rims two days ago. I have no issues with the rears at all, and I got them to travel up and down a good bit while I was trying them out. The rear tires do get a little close to the rear end of the rock rails, so on really extreme terrain it might be tight, but I don't think it will make contact. The fronts are clear of the fenders and the air dam. Again, I got them up into the fender pretty good with no problem. The only issue is that when I turn the wheel all the way left the right front just kisses the sway bar, and when I turn fully to the right, the left front does the same thing. It is just the very outer corner of the lugs on the tread that rubs, probably not even enough to damage anything. If I were the only one who drives my Jeep, I would just leave it alone and be careful and make sure I stop turning an inch before I hit full turn. Unfortunately the wife drives it on occasion and it makes a pretty loud noise which will totally freak her out, so I'm looking for spacers. All the info Ive found on this forum suggests 1.5inch should get her done.
Ramius is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpostman View Post
My 2013 Sahara Unlimited has no lift whatsoever. I put 285/75R16 Duratrac, this is exactly the same size as a 285/70R17. I put them on a Procomp 7069 16X8 rim with 4" backspacing. I put one on last Friday and tried driving around forward and back with full turn left & right. Did not try wheeling it. But I had no rubbing whatsoever. I think 4" BS is a bit more than what I needed but I won't need spacers.

BTW, I know the feeling of looking around for all this info, there are so many variables and so much information that it gets confusing.

dp
great info! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Chris, I have a 2008 JKUR. No lift, no levelers. I put Duratrac 285/70/17s on stock rims two days ago. I have no issues with the rears at all, and I got them to travel up and down a good bit while I was trying them out. The rear tires do get a little close to the rear end of the rock rails, so on really extreme terrain it might be tight, but I don't think it will make contact. The fronts are clear of the fenders and the air dam. Again, I got them up into the fender pretty good with no problem. The only issue is that when I turn the wheel all the way left the right front just kisses the sway bar, and when I turn fully to the right, the left front does the same thing. It is just the very outer corner of the lugs on the tread that rubs, probably not even enough to damage anything. If I were the only one who drives my Jeep, I would just leave it alone and be careful and make sure I stop turning an inch before I hit full turn. Unfortunately the wife drives it on occasion and it makes a pretty loud noise which will totally freak her out, so I'm looking for spacers. All the info Ive found on this forum suggests 1.5inch should get her done.
Awesome!! Thanks for the input!!
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
NastyPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA & Placencia Peninsula, Belize
Posts: 171
"I've searched, and cant find what Im looking for...."

Me either, but hookers can at least help out...

__________________
I am currently unsupervised! Yeah, it freaks me out too, but then I consider the possibilities!
NastyPirate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC