Jeep camping - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Yellow Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring City TN
Posts: 158
Jeep camping

Show us what a camper looks like behind a jeep . We are thinking about getting a pop up.

Yellow Whale is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
rfortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oakwood, GA
Posts: 343
A buddy of mine just towed a pop up behind his TJ 6 cyl. through the north Georgia mountains (Helen and Hiawassee) with no problems. And to top it off he has no front sway bar because his discos are bent so badly he can't connect the links.

You should be fine pulling it in TN.

__________________
2013 JK Rubicon Commando Green
AEV DualSport XT 2.5" Lift | American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 Matte Black | GY Duratrac 315/70/17 | Bestop High Access Front w/ Bull Bar | Q9000 Winch | LEDs everywhere | ACE Rock Rails | ACE Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier | ACE Wide Flat Fenders
rfortune is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,578
I have been interested in getting a popup as well. We would be taking 2 vehicles so the van could carry the majority if stuff we would take. We always camp at sites with modern conveniences so we wouldn't need a shower or toilet.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 86
Here's our pop up. The first picture is low because all of our travel gear was still in the back of the Jeep (We crossed a couple states to pick it up). The second picture is more accurate to how it sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0604-2.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	252022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0605-2.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	252023  

DozerJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 75
Subscribed
Banditt135 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Rtone1583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 414
Off your topic but, set up for tent camping.

Rack has enough space for the compressor and air tanks (hard mounted) plus my camp kitchen, stove, four camp chairs, and two tents without anyting being double stacked.

Leaves room inside for two coolers, 10lb propane tank, sleeping bags and other small stuff without the back window being totally obscured as well as spreading the load out a little bit. Cost of the rack, compressor, tanks, misc. parts and labor came in at about $4K.

Rtone1583 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Michel347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Laurentians, QC, Canada
Posts: 434
Here is ours.

__________________
2012 Wrangler JK Sport 2dr, man 6 spd, 3.73 diff
Michel347 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dunkin_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 280
Anybody use a tent that attached to the back of the jeep? Also anybody have a cheap grill that attached to the hitch?

I am going camping a few times this summer and I dont need a camping trailer and was looking into getting a tent that attached or just a stand alone one.
Dunkin_D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Kssting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
We looked into the hitch mounted grills and there are some nice options out there but we couldn't find a cheap solution.

Here is our popup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734880268.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	252262  
Kssting is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Rtone1583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin_D View Post
Anybody use a tent that attached to the back of the jeep? Also anybody have a cheap grill that attached to the hitch?

I am going camping a few times this summer and I dont need a camping trailer and was looking into getting a tent that attached or just a stand alone one.
My secondary tent is one that attaches to the back of the Jeep. I think it's right at 10'x10' so the floor space is decent and the head space is pretty good but attaching it to the Jeep isn't worth it in my opinion.

You've got to set the tent up in an area where you have access to opposite sides of the tent, one side for walk in/out and the other for the Jeep hookup. I haven't had a situation that worked out for this in the places I go camping. Plus all that extra material for the Jeep dock makes for a hassle in setup, take down and storage. The tent packs down to approximately 24"L x 12"W x 8"D. Not sure how much it weighs but it definitely isn't light. Also, the only thing the dock can be used for is dry storage. The way it is made, the material bunches up around the exhaust so there is a fire hazard as well as CO poisoning hazard. And if you should want to take a day trip away from the camp site, it's not that quick and easy to disconnect/reconnect the dock to the Jeep.

I've got a Coleman 8 man tent for my primary that packs down to a 6"x6" or it might be a 8" x 8" square that is about 3.5 to 4 feet long and weighs about a quarter less than the Jeep tent. I picked this one up on sale at Cabela's for $130 about two years ago.

Long story short, you can find better tents at a better price than the Jeep tent.
Rtone1583 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Rtone1583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssting View Post
We looked into the hitch mounted grills and there are some nice options out there but we couldn't find a cheap solution.

Here is our popup.

I looked into those a few years ago when they were Coleman branded. Are they still available new under a different brand? How have you liked it? Has it held up well? Have you actually been able to take it off the beaten path?
Rtone1583 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Dunkin_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
My secondary tent is one that attaches to the back of the Jeep. I think it's right at 10'x10' so the floor space is decent and the head space is pretty good but attaching it to the Jeep isn't worth it in my opinion.

You've got to set the tent up in an area where you have access to opposite sides of the tent, one side for walk in/out and the other for the Jeep hookup. I haven't had a situation that worked out for this in the places I go camping. Plus all that extra material for the Jeep dock makes for a hassle in setup, take down and storage. The tent packs down to approximately 24"L x 12"W x 8"D. Not sure how much it weighs but it definitely isn't light. Also, the only thing the dock can be used for is dry storage. The way it is made, the material bunches up around the exhaust so there is a fire hazard as well as CO poisoning hazard. And if you should want to take a day trip away from the camp site, it's not that quick and easy to disconnect/reconnect the dock to the Jeep.

I've got a Coleman 8 man tent for my primary that packs down to a 6"x6" or it might be a 8" x 8" square that is about 3.5 to 4 feet long and weighs about a quarter less than the Jeep tent. I picked this one up on sale at Cabela's for $130 about two years ago.

Long story short, you can find better tents at a better price than the Jeep tent.
Awesome - thanks for the great information. You helped me make up my mind.
Dunkin_D is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Kssting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
There is a company (Somerset) that is making a newer version but they aren't as rugged as the older models. Ours is a 2008 Fleetwood E2. The trailer has been great. We haven't had a single issue with it. We have taken it to several places around Utah and have taken into a few remote spots. Ours is the E2 and if I was going to really take it back country I would rather have the shorter E1.
Kssting is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Yellow Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring City TN
Posts: 158
Jeep camping

Good reply's if ever thing works out on the pop up I will post a pic.you got a pic post it
Yellow Whale is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 510
No ACs on those campers? You gotta have AC.......lol.

At least here you do!
__________________
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Copper Canyon
Yeah,I gotta change the Pic
Love the Rubicon, but already miss the TJ.
Steeljag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
scottmphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhododendron, OR
Posts: 836
I'm going to order a Manley ORV this week...
__________________
Check out my blog - Offroadvegan!

2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Billet "Frank the Tank"

“The Jeep is America’s only real sports car.” - E. Ferrari
scottmphoto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Newb
 
socool79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Here's my new tent trailer, maiden voyage this week end. So far can't even tell its back there.
6 SPD with 373s

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4000658215.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	252962
socool79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
scottmphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhododendron, OR
Posts: 836
What model/make is that? Looks cool!
__________________
Check out my blog - Offroadvegan!

2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Billet "Frank the Tank"

“The Jeep is America’s only real sports car.” - E. Ferrari
scottmphoto is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
Here is ours.

Cute trailer! Was your tow pkg on the jeep installed at the factory or did you have it done after?

Sue
Suebabe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Rtone1583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kssting View Post
There is a company (Somerset) that is making a newer version but they aren't as rugged as the older models. Ours is a 2008 Fleetwood E2. The trailer has been great. We haven't had a single issue with it. We have taken it to several places around Utah and have taken into a few remote spots. Ours is the E2 and if I was going to really take it back country I would rather have the shorter E1.

Thanks for the info. Took a look at them today. Can definitely see a difference between the original and the Somerset.

All things considered, especially with your personal experience, do you think it would be a good (or better) bet to look for a used Fleetwood E1?
Rtone1583 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Kssting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 389
It really depends, we considered an E1 but we wanted the extra internal space and bathroom along with the larger front deck so we bought the E2. If I was to spend more time back country without the wife I would rather have the E1.

We have an equalizer hitch and brake controller and the trailer feels great behind the jeep. I am also thinking about building a door rack on the trailer deck so I can store the doors safely.
Kssting is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
rebelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Willowick, OH
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool79 View Post
Here's my new tent trailer, maiden voyage this week end. So far can't even tell its back there.
6 SPD with 373s
What popup camper is that, I was thinking of getting something similar?
rebelman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Michel347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Laurentians, QC, Canada
Posts: 434
@ Suebabe:

I took my JK with 3.73 gearing, this was already there, and then ordered the Mopar Hitch and wiring kit (7 pin as I installed a brake controler), took me 2 hours to install, I was taking my time, could be done in 1 hour.

That trailer is an old 1973 Boler.

It is light enough that when we bought it in '96, we had just a Dodge Neon at that time. But 3 weeks after that I changed for a '96 Cherokee Country, raised the trailer by 6 inches with a new axle, then restore and repaint. All in all it didn't cost me more than 3000 $.

When we got it.


After restoration.

__________________
2012 Wrangler JK Sport 2dr, man 6 spd, 3.73 diff
Michel347 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
MBeshada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
@ Suebabe:

I took my JK with 3.73 gearing, this was already there, and then ordered the Mopar Hitch and wiring kit (7 pin as I installed a brake controler), took me 2 hours to install, I was taking my time, could be done in 1 hour.

That trailer is an old 1973 Boler.

It is light enough that when we bought it in '96, we had just a Dodge Neon at that time. But 3 weeks after that I changed for a '96 Cherokee Country, raised the trailer by 6 inches with a new axle, then restore and repaint. All in all it didn't cost me more than 3000 $.

When we got it.


After restoration.

Now THAT is cool!
MBeshada is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Michel347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Laurentians, QC, Canada
Posts: 434
On these you can see how much ground clearance I got (11 inches), can take it to remote fishing spots, it's only 13 feet long from back to tongue.



__________________
2012 Wrangler JK Sport 2dr, man 6 spd, 3.73 diff
Michel347 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Newb
 
socool79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelman View Post

What popup camper is that, I was thinking of getting something similar?
It's a 2013 Flagstaff 176LTD it's 8' all folded up 1400 lbs dry . About 18' opened up 9' tall. Fits in my garage set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2013844230.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	254545
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2316842788.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	254546  
socool79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
bvanfossen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel347 View Post
Here is ours.
Very neat camper!

Anyone tugging one with manual and 3.21's?
bvanfossen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
rebelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Willowick, OH
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool79 View Post

It's a 2013 Flagstaff 176LTD it's 8' all folded up 1400 lbs dry . About 18' opened up 9' tall. Fits in my garage set up.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to check one out.
rebelman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Heat Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanfossen View Post
Very neat camper!

Anyone tugging one with manual and 3.21's?
I don't have a travel trailer yet, but will get one soon. Right now, I have an M101A2 (decommissioned military trailer) that weighs almost as much as the Flagstaff mentioned above. I have a 2011 6-speed with 3.21s. I've had no issues towing this trailer loaded with camping gear or when moving my fiancee (now wife) from the east coast of Florida to the west coast. If you live in a mountainous region, you might want to get another opinion. Basically, I downshift when I need to; no worries. I hope this helps.
Heat Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanfossen View Post

Very neat camper!

Anyone tugging one with manual and 3.21's?
You're in luck having a 6 speed with the 3.21 instead of the auto. It makes it much better on any hills as you can prepare by preemptively downshifting. I did a little over 2,000 on my 2008 with 3.21 and a 6 speed. It did it fine and that was pretty hilly. I dont get great gas mileage towing, but who does

jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC