Jeep Got "Broken" Into - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Jeep Got "Broken" Into

Came out to the parking deck tonight to discover some chuckleheads had unzipped my soft top, climbed in my Jeep, and rifled through my glove box and console. No damage other than my substantial dissatisfaction.

BUT--you know what they got? NOTHING. There's never anything worth stealing in my Jeep.

However, the folks with the parking deck and the Raleigh PD said there were three similar break ins in that deck today, including mine. The others were in cars that the owners had left unlocked. There's apparently a group of teens who got busted a few weeks ago for breaking into cars, and a the parking deck personnel began spotting them around the deck again just recently.

So there is some truth to the idea that a hard top does provide marginally better security, at least insofar as it is a deterrent. (Still not getting one though.)

Pic of the entry point as I found it attached. Just thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4224560365.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	54772  

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
JEEPER

WF Supporting Member
 
KRawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 915
Atleast they didn't cut the soft top and damage anything.

__________________
Kyle
KRawson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,512
Wow! Really glad that your top wasn't damaged and that you didn't have anything stolen of value. Kudas to you though for not placing anything of value in your Jeep, surely they moved on when they figured that out. How did they get inside to your glove box when the back window was only 3/4 opened? Those are some careful thieves!! Maybe they are Jeep owners.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
How did they get inside to your glove box when the back window was only 3/4 opened? Those are some careful thieves!!
You can reach the inside rear door lock/handle from the rear window...
C.L. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post
You can reach the inside rear door lock/handle from the rear window...
yeah I know that I guess I should have clarified but I'm in shock because MTH is a fellow RTP brother.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
I don't want to :hijack: you here but reading this reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Now that I have the doors off, I've been using the built in storage area in the back. Since it can't be opened without opening the tailgate, I feel it's relatively safe because I still push the Key fob and lock the door-less jeep just to lock the tailgate. Since there aren't doors, their are no unlock buttons.. Is there any other way to open the tailgate and get into my floor storage?
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ageless Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 26,792
↑ That's a great question.

To the OP: You're very, very lucky. Most chuckleheads don't know that unzips, so they just cut it with their blade. Glad it worked out for you.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 141
WoW, theives that can use a zipper!
They are getting smarter???

" the back window was only 3/4 opened"
I was trying to figure out how somebody squeezed through there too! Duh.
__________________
Tank

2012 BFG JKU Sport S
Tanksta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Mike,

Safari straps add a level of protection. I locked my keys in one time and thought it would be no problem to unzip the window and open the door. Wrong! the straps prevented me from reaching the door. I had to completely undo them. It took me about 20 minutes to get my keys.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123
How did they get inside to your glove box when the back window was only 3/4 opened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L.
You can reach the inside rear door lock/handle from the rear window...
Good thought, but I don't think that was it CL. That's a heck of a reach.

The rear window was actually completely removed other than the strip that inserts into the door surround. The reason it appears only a quarter unzipped is because they re-tacked it to the Velcro.

The jeep also beeped three times when I approached it and hit unlock on the key fob. That's different.

Here's the only theory that really makes sense to me: They unzipped the rear window completely, climbed into the drivers seat, rifled, and exited through the drivers door setting off the alarm. The alarm timed out, but is set to chirp when you try to unlock after it times out. They re-tacked the window as they left, or one of the buddies did it while one was inside.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
It amazes me to read that you noticed additional beeps. I might have come across the same scene only to think I couldn't believe the window stayed on during the ride to work, I didn't even notice I left it down
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Thanks for all the well wishes folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackMac
Now that I have the doors off, I've been using the built in storage area in the back. Since it can't be opened without opening the tailgate, I feel it's relatively safe because I still push the Key fob and lock the door-less jeep just to lock the tailgate. Since there aren't doors, their are no unlock buttons.. Is there any other way to open the tailgate and get into my floor storage?
That's occurred to me before and I think the answer is "no". It's a very effective storage spot--without doors to unlock it would take a lot of time to get into. And that assumes they even know it's there. I put down a rubber floor liner in the rear so you can't even see it with the tailgate shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
Mike,

Safari straps add a level of protection. I locked my keys in one time and thought it would be no problem to unzip the window and open the door. Wrong! the straps prevented me from reaching the door. I had to completely undo them. It took me about 20 minutes to get my keys.
THAT good sir is a damn good idea. You are 100% correct. This mod list never gets shorter . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackMac
It amazes me to read that you noticed additional beeps. I might have come across the same scene only to think I couldn't believe the window stayed on during the ride to work, I didn't even notice I left it down
I may be a little obsessed. Just sayin'.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
TheMadBotanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 97
Damn dude, I'm assuming this is the same parking deck we met at? I actually park there pretty regularly, creepy thinking about some dirtbag all up in your space like that. Makes me want to install a couple lock boxes.

What timeframe did this happen in?
TheMadBotanist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

I may be a little obsessed. Just sayin'.
I didn't underhand the meaning of the word until I bought a jeep!!

P.S. Quoted twice in one post... Not bragging... Just saying
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #15
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Back when I had my CJ7, I pulled it out of the driveway for my wife to leave for work, then went inside to get ready myself. some guys across the street were doing construction. One of them knocked on the door and asked me to move it because they were getting a delivery in about 20 minutes. I told them I'd be leaving in 10. I can down to see that someone had climbed in through the back and just his feet were hanging out. The dumb a$$ was trying to take it out of gear to roll it. what he didn't realize was that it was an automatic and he was yanking on my TC shifter. I pulled him out by his legs and beat him to a pulp while all his buddies laughed at him.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
Back when I had my CJ7, I pulled it out of the driveway for my wife to leave for work, then went inside to get ready myself. some guys across the street were doing construction. One of them knocked on the door and asked me to move it because they were getting a delivery in about 20 minutes. I told them I'd be leaving in 10. I can down to see that someone had climbed in through the back and just his feet were hanging out. The dumb a$$ was trying to take it out of gear to roll it. what he didn't realize was that it was an automatic and he was yanking on my TC shifter. I pulled him out by his legs and beat him to a pulp while all his buddies laughed at him.
Coupled with your profile pic, this will make an excellent screenshot that I will find a use for later.. LoL
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
I probably should have prefaced the fact that it was 25 years ago!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanksta
WoW, theives that can use a zipper!
Same thing occurred to me. I always figured most thieves wouldn't bother trying to figure it out. I guess some will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBotanist
Damn dude, I'm assuming this is the same parking deck we met at? I actually park there pretty regularly, creepy thinking about some dirtbag all up in your space like that. Makes me want to install a couple lock boxes.

What timeframe did this happen in?
Yep, the very same garage. The first break in was discovered at 5 pm, and I found mine at 7:15 pm. Could've happened much earlier though.

I'm actually glad I didn't have boxes. Who knows what damage they would've done if they had been thwarted in any way? In this case, everything opened for them--there was just nothing there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackMac
P.S. Quoted twice in one post... Not bragging... Just saying
It is awesome, very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
I pulled him out by his legs and beat him to a pulp while all his buddies laughed at him.
If I had been there . . .
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
Maybe you should have left the guy half in the jeep and started and impromptu offroad adventure
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Funny thing is that had they just cleaned up after themselves, I never would've even noticed. Zero damage, nothing taken.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBotanist View Post
Damn dude, I'm assuming this is the same parking deck we met at? I actually park there pretty regularly, creepy thinking about some dirtbag all up in your space like that. Makes me want to install a couple lock boxes.

What timeframe did this happen in?
Why were the two of you meeting in a parking deck? Nevermind I don't want to know.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
If I had been there . . .
Yeah, you'd have gotten rich.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Scooter_Trash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbackMac View Post
I don't want to :hijack: you here but reading this reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask. Now that I have the doors off, I've been using the built in storage area in the back. Since it can't be opened without opening the tailgate, I feel it's relatively safe because I still push the Key fob and lock the door-less jeep just to lock the tailgate. Since there aren't doors, their are no unlock buttons.. Is there any other way to open the tailgate and get into my floor storage?
Seems like I remember there is some type of built in protection with the tailgate. A friend of mine has that same set up and I asked him about it. He showed me, but it was awhile ago. I think there is a built in timer that disables the power lock on the tailgate keeping you from opening it using the power door locks. He had to open it using the key fob or unlock it using the key.

I'll try to remember to ask him to get a more accurate answer.
__________________
'07 JK Sahara
Find the Kansas City JKOwners on facebook
Scooter_Trash is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66

Why were the two of you meeting in a parking deck? Nevermind I don't want to know.
We meet up every few weeks to break into unlocked cars.

Actually, he took my old springs off my hands. Thankfully, the thieves left my new ones in place.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

We meet up every few weeks to break into unlocked cars.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
The jeep also beeped three times when I approached it and hit unlock on the key fob. That's different.

Here's the only theory that really makes sense to me: They unzipped the rear window completely, climbed into the drivers seat, rifled, and exited through the drivers door setting off the alarm. The alarm timed out, but is set to chirp when you try to unlock after it times out. They re-tacked the window as they left, or one of the buddies did it while one was inside.
Is this the factory alarm or an aftermarket?
AgtSunshine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stationed in guam
Posts: 18
sad thing is that prob means that the losers where either at one time or another or maybe still are jeep owners and that disgraces the good jeep owners like everyone on here.
Wescannon21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #28
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgtSunshine

Is this the factory alarm or an aftermarket?
Factory.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Jeep4Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Mike,

Safari straps add a level of protection. I locked my keys in one time and thought it would be no problem to unzip the window and open the door. Wrong! the straps prevented me from reaching the door. I had to completely undo them. It took me about 20 minutes to get my keys.
Where would one get these safari straps? And can they be used with a Trektop? - My soft top doesn't have a window, that means I would probably been sliced and diced... I am glad they didn't get anything... or ruin the top...
Jeep4Shell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #30
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Shell View Post
Where would one get these safari straps? And can they be used with a Trektop? - My soft top doesn't have a window, that means I would probably been sliced and diced... I am glad they didn't get anything... or ruin the top...

www.safaristraps.com You couldn't deal with a nicer company. Hatch and Maral are the owners. If you have any questions they will email you right away.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Modular Bumper Systems 07-11 Jeep JK Wranglers, Free Shipping Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 27 03-08-2013 02:03 PM
Why I love my JK and thoughts on the Jeep community.... Mr. Sinister JK General Discussion Forum 48 12-15-2011 11:20 PM
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Modular Bumper Systems 2007-2011 Jeep JK Wranglers Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 6 09-01-2011 09:25 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 11:48 AM
History of the Jeep. George T. General Jeep Discussion 8 02-04-2009 02:03 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC