Jeep Wrangler jk excessive oil consumption - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Jeep Wrangler jk excessive oil consumption

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with 30,000 miles on it.It burns about 1.25 quarts in about 1,400 miles with NO external oil leaks!Chrysler said if it does not use a quart every 1,000 miles than its not excessive and refuse to do any thing.They said that they have no one else with this problem,but I know better I had others tell me they have same problem I do.Who are they kidding!! I have been a mechanic for over 20 years and this is excessive.I owned several CJ's and some over 100,000 miles not using this much.I have written up a petition over this and if I get a good responce from it me a few others are going to file a class action law suit against Chrysler.So if you having same oil consumption problem please sign my petition and tell me your story.....This is the petition link:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/o...gjeepwrangler/
Thanks..............Anyone signing this will not be contacted in any way for any reason.It is for polling only.

intimidatorswrath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ZOMB1E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 483
I have 24k miles on the clock and I burn about a half quart every 1000.

__________________

ZOMB1E is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
AKYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brighton Colorado
Posts: 283
Images: 22
I'm a Chrysler tech and we see this all the time I would say about half the jks have oil consumption problems yes something is wrong no engine should use over a quart of oil between oil changes thats my 2 cents. We have seen a few come in with engine knocks because they have been ran too low but those are usually covered under warranty.
My 92 with 170k only uses 1 quart every 4000 miles.
__________________
92YJ 2" BDS Lift, 34'' TrXus MT's Metalcloaked, NV3550 ford 8.8, built 4.0, Comp 4x4 Cam, Diamond high comp pistons few other bolt ons.


When was the last time you got an adrenaline rush at 3 mph?
AKYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
KBR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,136
Between the last oil change on the JK it burned up about 4-5 quarts over a course of about 4500-5500 miles.
Bullshit!...Im trading this junk in for a fullsize pickup in a year or so. Im just gonna have to keep an eye on it and feed it when needed.


BTW I looked in my warranty booklet, the Jeep came with a "Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty"....Since I'm the second owner the warranty doesnt apply to me, so..yeah..Thanks Chrysler
KBR97 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Yeah it's normal for this engine. My JK personally doesn't use a lot. Maybe 1/2 quart every 3,000. I run a synthetic blend to around 9,000 miles before a change, and generally only need to add 1 quart during that time.

There's a few factors that can contribute to oil consumption.

-lots of high RPM offroading
-towing
-not using OD at highway speeds
-different brands burn at different rates
-different weights burn at different rates

You can try experimenting around with that stuff and see how things work out. Make sure you don't have any leaks either, or that Walmart actually put 6 qts in
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 764
Talking

Mine will not use any oil as I will never check it. It will get changed at 5000 miles and I will use 5W20 mobil one, the same treatment all my fords get. I never check the oil in them unless it's right before a oil change just to see if it is a oil drinker. If it is a oil drinker it will be gone. Especially if it's out of warranty. So my jeep sits here with 30 miles on it and I refuse to ever pull the stick until 5000 miles. May not pull it then. If jeep didn't put any oil in it I guess they will in the new engine. Same goes for the 5000 mile service, it beter have enough for the first 5000 miles or maybe the next motor will! I will not check it because it's new, hence no need.
KSCRUDE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ZOMB1E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
Mine will not use any oil as I will never check it. It will get changed at 5000 miles and I will use 5W20 mobil one, the same treatment all my fords get. I never check the oil in them unless it's right before a oil change just to see if it is a oil drinker. If it is a oil drinker it will be gone. Especially if it's out of warranty. So my jeep sits here with 30 miles on it and I refuse to ever pull the stick until 5000 miles. May not pull it then. If jeep didn't put any oil in it I guess they will in the new engine. Same goes for the 5000 mile service, it beter have enough for the first 5000 miles or maybe the next motor will! I will not check it because it's new, hence no need.
Good luck with that

It states in your manual that you should check the oil level at every fill up. If your engine happens to be an oil burner and you run it 5 quarts low to your next oil change, you're going to have a hard time getting that new engine. Improper maintenance, i.e. checking your oil, and you might be stuck with the bill in the end.
__________________

ZOMB1E is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, mine doesn't use any oil between changes (6000 miles) and-

Thats with Mobile One/K&N filter and Most of the jeeps use is off-road at 2500/3500 rpm-

Just lucky-I guess

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 63
My '07 with 22k miles is down about 1/4 of a quart at 1000 miles on this oil change. I was wondering if that was normal or not since I am new to Jeeps. From what I read here seems like that consumption level is nothing to worry about, so I will keep it topped off and change it every 3k. Thanks for the info, saved me some work searching through old posts on the subject.
Ratchet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Yeah I don't think burning up an engine because you don't bother to check the oil is going to go over well lol all engines have a weird quirk. Some eat up plugs, others leak after 50k, some run hot...the JK burns extra oil. No big deal. Check it every time you get fuel. It takes like 10 seconds.

Also just because your JK eats 1 quart ever 3,000 miles...doesn't mean it'll stay like that. My JK has used 1/2 quart regularly, but one time it burned 1 quart at 3,000. I topped it off, next 3,000 it used none. Just watch it, or run thicker oil. It's really no big deal. Buy 7 quarts when u change your oil. Put in 6, toss 1 in the back for top offs. It's only an extra 2-6 bucks for that quart. You guys spend more than that on tobacco, a gallon of fuel, stamps for a month, whatever. Sheesh lol

It's normal! You could have worse things to deal with than a new vehicle burning 1/2-1 quart every 3,000 lol

Like your trans overheating and burning you and your family alive...oh wait, nevermind
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
KBR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
Yeah I don't think burning up an engine because you don't bother to check the oil is going to go over well lol all engines have a weird quirk. Some eat up plugs, others leak after 50k, some run hot...the JK burns extra oil. No big deal. Check it every time you get fuel. It takes like 10 seconds.

Also just because your JK eats 1 quart ever 3,000 miles...doesn't mean it'll stay like that. My JK has used 1/2 quart regularly, but one time it burned 1 quart at 3,000. I topped it off, next 3,000 it used none. Just watch it, or run thicker oil. It's really no big deal. Buy 7 quarts when u change your oil. Put in 6, toss 1 in the back for top offs. It's only an extra 2-6 bucks for that quart. You guys spend more than that on tobacco, a gallon of fuel, stamps for a month, whatever. Sheesh lol

It's normal! You could have worse things to deal with than a new vehicle burning 1/2-1 quart every 3,000 lol

Like your trans overheating and burning you and your family alive...oh wait, nevermind


All of that sounds great GroundHawg...like you said its not that hard to deal with...just check the oil and make sure its full. BUT....
It is absolutely not normal. A new or fairly new vehicle should not be burning 4-5 quarts between a 5000 mile oil change. Let alone any oil at all. If the jeep was 15 years old with over 100k on the clock then fine..I'll buy the extra quart of oil and not care. But these jeeps are 1,2,3 maybe 4 years old.
KBR97 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
I'd say anything more than 1 quart missing every 3,000 is excessive. I'm in the WF app so I can't review posts and I can't recall how much you're going through KBR...but 5-20 is very light oil. My personal opinion...it's too light. I think a 5-30 or 10-30...maybe 10-40 is more in line for what this engine should use. I know you offroad as do many JK owners, and just like with our axle oil...thicker is better when we push these machines beyond DD duty. BUT, I'm not Bob the Oil Guy, or an engineer...I'm a shadetree at best. So take that for what it's worth lol

Here's what makes this a tough issue. Some oil consumption is normal for the 3.8. Now, where do we draw the line of normal consumption and an issue? Is 1 quart every 3,000 ok...or is this a valve guide problem, or a bearing, or what? So far we always say "if there's no oil leak, you're fine" but that's not always the case.

Just based on what I know about automobiles, and screwing around with my own Jeep a lot, some consumption is normal in all engines. This engine runs hot, and we stress it. Based on Jeep's suspension, and transmissions...we can safely assume there are some "loose tolerances" in the engine too. Maybe some engines are honed out of spec? Or the rings wear out fast? I don't know.

I look for consistency. Do you always burn a quart? Never? How long did it take? If you consistently burn a quart or more every 3,000…something might be up. Don't offroad it. Still burn a quart? If so, try some 5-30. If it stops, it's a loose tolerance somewhere, run 5-30 from now on. If it's still losing a quart, try a better or different brand oil. Just got to play with it and find something to break a "bad" consistency. A good consistency (my case) can be broken with heavy offroad use or avoiding OD.
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97
Between the last oil change on the JK it burned up about 4-5 quarts over a course of about 4500-5500 miles.
Bullshit!...Im trading this junk in for a fullsize pickup in a year or so. Im just gonna have to keep an eye on it and feed it when needed.

BTW I looked in my warranty booklet, the Jeep came with a "Limited Lifetime Powertrain Warranty"....Since I'm the second owner the warranty doesnt apply to me, so..yeah..Thanks Chrysler
Ok I read this. 1 quart every 1,000 is uncalled for.

Now, did you do the oil change? What brand and weight? Has your Jeep always acted like this? Anything else weird...like a knock, loss in MPG, rough start, high idle, exhaust color, etc going on?
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
yjkid95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Great Lakes, Illinios.
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97 View Post
All of that sounds great GroundHawg...like you said its not that hard to deal with...just check the oil and make sure its full. BUT....
It is absolutely not normal. A new or fairly new vehicle should not be burning 4-5 quarts between a 5000 mile oil change. Let alone any oil at all. If the jeep was 15 years old with over 100k on the clock then fine..I'll buy the extra quart of oil and not care. But these jeeps are 1,2,3 maybe 4 years old.
My 95 yj with a bottom end knock and 134000 miles on the motor doesnt burn any oil between oil changes. I know its a completly different motor and beast but just saying if a 95 with that mileage and knock doesnt then how the heck is it normal for a new car to burn a quart every 3000 miles.
__________________
My Build Thread... with plenty of pics
yjkid95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjkid95

My 95 yj with a bottom end knock and 134000 miles on the motor doesnt burn any oil between oil changes. I know its a completly different motor and beast but just saying if a 95 with that mileage and knock doesnt then how the heck is it normal for a new car to burn a quart every 3000 miles.
Engines basically work alike...but you do bring up an interesting point. Wear.

What starts as a 10,000 mile engine burning a quart every 3,000 miles...will become a 50,000 engine burning a quart every 1,000...to a 100,000 engine burning a quart every 500 miles needing an overhaul.

Maybe this is a hit and miss issue because we aren't breaking in properly? That would explain why some use a lot of oil, some a bit, and others none? We could be losing oil at the seat and blowing it up in the cylinders, just like an old worn engine would.

I'm not ruling out Chrysler at fault, so don't get me wrong. More than likely it is a crappy ring seated bad, or, I don't know, a rod bearing or something. It's an interesting thought though that never hit me till yjkid posted that
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
This is an off-road jeep forum and we HEAR about most things that happen to our jeeps-GOOD/BAD-what we don't hear are the 100K to 500K jeep drivers that aren't on the forums and could be Mallers-(not that there's anything wrong with that)-

As I said, mine doesn't burn any oil, she's stationed in the Nevada desert where the temp usually is from 100° F to 120°, -now, of course this is during summer/fall and not winter, but

I always run Mobile one 5W-30 and it seems to be PERFECT-

Now we've already had discussions about what the Jeep manual says to use, so lets don't go there again !!

Kapish ?

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Omg jimbo you can't run 5-30 you're going to blow your engine up

I'd run that too if I didn't have long winters to deal with. 5-20 Mobil-1 Synth treats me well. If it's not broke don't fix it
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
KBR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,136
I have to keep an eye on it more often to see if it becomes a consistent thing. I just noticed it over the past few weeks it was getting real low. And then it was due for a oil change anyway so I put some fresh oil and a filter and we'll see how it goes.

Im was running Valvoline sythentic 5w20....I decided to just go with a regular 5w20 valvoline on this recent oil change. If it keeps this up I guess I'll switch to 5w30 and see how that goes.
KBR97 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
account closed

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 417
5w20 M1, never burned a drop and I check it and change it regularly. 11125 as of today. BTW I've done 4 oil changes. I do alot of back roads and forest roads so the mileage compared to hours run dont add up. My JK idles and creeps along alot so I feel that I should change it more often. I guess thats what you call severe service.
John412 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97
I have to keep an eye on it more often to see if it becomes a consistent thing. I just noticed it over the past few weeks it was getting real low. And then it was due for a oil change anyway so I put some fresh oil and a filter and we'll see how it goes.

Im was running Valvoline sythentic 5w20....I decided to just go with a regular 5w20 valvoline on this recent oil change. If it keeps this up I guess I'll switch to 5w30 and see how that goes.
Is you Jeep still under warranty?

A friend of a friend made the claim to me yesterday that he personally fixed an 08's oil issue due to an out of round cylinder.

If you have a warranty, and the Jeep consistently loses a quart every 1,000 miles, I'd head down to the dealership and fight them to examine the block and rings. That's a manufacturer defect, and no fault whatsoever to the owner.

This is the first I've heard of that. The engine of that 08 spun a bearing due to being about 3 quarts too low, and the dealership wouldn't warranty the repair due to "poor maintenance"
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseville, OH
Posts: 36
There is a guy that drives an 08 that gets his oil changed at my shop. He is at 15,000 miles and he came in with 2000 miles on his oil change with the oil light on.
Checke dit and very little on the dipstick. I topped him off and he drove it another 2000 and got the same thing.

Dealership "cant find anything" with it.
__________________
www. (my username) .com
offroadohio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
If every one did as you (KSCRUDE) I guess it is a wast of time for manufacture to even put in a dipstick!!!!Warrenty does not cover neglect!!
intimidatorswrath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 764
Ford hasn't put a dip stick in their autos transmissions for about 10 years now. Sealed no service item, they say. That's in all their SUVS, not trucks at this time. I have 9 fordS now and rarely ever check the oil in any of them. Use 5-30 in the pickups, with V8 and V10 engines and 5-20 in the SUVS. I guess ford has me spoiled as you can check them every day and they are always full. You will get a light and buzzer in this new stuff way before u ever ruin one too low on oil. And I will not ever pull the dip stick on this new jeep, before 5000 miles! By the way I have over 100 miles on her today and she runs like a top. Smooth and quit is all I can say. Very smooth for such a short wheel base car, and very solid. I have logged by my Gps a max speed of 84 mph and a moving time of 4 hours and 16 minutes while traveling 117.6 miles for an average speed of 27.54 mph! By the way I use m1 oil in all my pickup, suv thingys.
KSCRUDE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
KBR97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg View Post
Is you Jeep still under warranty?
According to the Warranty Booklet...no.
In 08 the Jeep came with a limited lifetime powertain warranty...its only applicable to the original owner or lessee...Im the 2nd...
KBR97 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBR97

According to the Warranty Booklet...no.
In 08 the Jeep came with a limited lifetime powertain warranty...its only applicable to the original owner or lessee...Im the 2nd...
I hear ya. Isn't that some bullsh*t? I bought my 07 used so I got crapped on too.
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
ZOMB1E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundHawg

I hear ya. Isn't that some bullsh*t? I bought my 07 used so I got crapped on too.
Ditto
__________________

ZOMB1E is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
ZOMB1E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 483
Just checked my oil this afternoon and it's actually worse than I thought. Jeep for sale!
__________________

ZOMB1E is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
GroundHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,274
how low did it go and how fast?
GroundHawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
ZOMB1E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 483
I changed my oil 850 miles ago with mobil 1 5w20 synthetic, Fram TG filter. I'm down about a quart right now. After I changed it, my oil level was 1/8" under the top of the full line. I'm currently about 1/8" under of the fill zone.
__________________

ZOMB1E is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Nevada
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMB1E
I changed my oil 850 miles ago with mobil 1 5w20 synthetic, Fram TG filter.
I did the same 600 miles ago and I'm still full.

popstop785 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help 98 jeep wrangler overheating theseacher WF New Member Check In 2 10-22-2010 05:39 AM
Jeep Wrangler Sport 03 Cluster Malfunction. Nano TJ Tech Forum 2 08-26-2009 09:44 PM
Chryseler Announces Prices for 2010 Geoff@Bestop Off-Topic 13 08-21-2009 12:10 AM
History of the Jeep. George T. General Jeep Discussion 8 02-04-2009 02:03 AM
First Wrangler - 3rd Jeep!!! tritonman WF New Member Check In 10 09-28-2007 09:27 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC