JK half doors or kits. Opinions re: aftermarket - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
JK half doors or kits. Opinions re: aftermarket

We would likely all love to have a set of OEM half doors but they are way expensive and some require assembly. There seems to be quite a few choices in the after market. Most seem to some kind of hard plastic. Without actually seeing them I'm not gonna buy.

Anyone seen or own aftermarket half doors? Are they worth it...complaints?

Element and Rugged Ridge are two that I recall seeing...dunno about others.

__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
We would likely all love to have a set of OEM half doors but they are way expensive and some require assembly. There seems to be quite a few choices in the after market. Most seem to some kind of hard plastic. Without actually seeing them I'm not gonna buy.

Anyone seen or own aftermarket half doors? Are they worth it...complaints?

Element and Rugged Ridge are two that I recall seeing...dunno about others.
If you want half doors for the "season" then tube doors or something similar would be ideal IMHO. For the off season, with the hardtop, full OEM doors are great. I like kbbwolf's doors. They look badass.

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Thanks for that reply. I've looked at the Q'trac page and don't really care for what they show but I'm sure there are others. I also heard that ACE is going to introduce a set and so far I like what I see/have from them...
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 37
I have been looking for a set of OEM half doors on craigslist for quite a while. No luck there.

Tube doors won't do for me either... my JKU is a daily driver and I would probably be hated by my coworkers for taking around investors/clients to lunch in tube doors.

Right now, my plan is to wait on this company called "Strike Force Zebra" to release their new doors. After a few reviews, I will make my decision.
- They appear to be fully molded (one piece) with better hinges and handles than rugged ridge.
- They will also make an upper slider (huge selling point here)

They are in production right now...hitting the shelves sometime soon I believe.

Here is their website: Welcome to Stirke Force Zebra. Creator of the JK Tactical Half Doors

The Rugged Ridge doors have horrible reviews... Bad fit, tough and unsecure latches.
MJones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones View Post
I have been looking for a set of OEM half doors on craigslist for quite a while. No luck there.

Tube doors won't do for me either... my JKU is a daily driver and I would probably be hated by my coworkers for taking around investors/clients to lunch in tube doors.

Right now, my plan is to wait on this company called "Strike Force Zebra" to release their new doors. After a few reviews, I will make my decision.
- They appear to be fully molded (one piece) with better hinges and handles than rugged ridge.
- They will also make an upper slider (huge selling point here)

They are in production right now...hitting the shelves sometime soon I believe.

Here is their website: Welcome to Stirke Force Zebra. Creator of the JK Tactical Half Doors

The Rugged Ridge doors have horrible reviews... Bad fit, tough and unsecure latches.
Those look interesting. I am looking to get a new JK shortly and half-doors was something I definitely wanted, but if something like this is around I might have to change my mind. I'm not sure if it is any cheaper than getting OEM ones though, once you add in uppers it is going to be probably around 1k.
glap1922 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
I was doing some Google searching yesterday and happened to see those. They look like an acceptable alternative but, like you, I'll wait til I see some reviews. I don't have the same problem as you with tube doors unless I have to drive a long ways on a fwy. I did just buy an OEM soft top off CL so I'd like to have more 'real' doors, esp if they accept the top window part.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by glap1922 View Post
Those look interesting. I am looking to get a new JK shortly and half-doors was something I definitely wanted, but if something like this is around I might have to change my mind. I'm not sure if it is any cheaper than getting OEM ones though, once you add in uppers it is going to be probably around 1k.
They could just be too good to be true and end up like Rugged Ridge's doors. But you are right....they are interesting. We shall see how they turn out.

The owner of the company was on one of the other sites giving a decent pre-order discount last month. His production photos (molds) were impressive.

OEM doors from Jeepsareus and/or other sites run close to $1k per/door without painting. These are <$1k for the pair.
MJones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Yeah, I've looked at that site too..Jeepsrus. I dunno how hard it would be to assemble the doors with all the wiring and small parts. Someone on this forum wrote for help on this. Also have to check my local shop on price to paint. Just love the Mopar doors and uppers. Hard to compromise. The inside of the Strike Force does not excite me all that much..for the price.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Yeah, I've looked at that site too..Jeepsrus. I dunno how hard it would be to assemble the doors with all the wiring and small parts. Someone on this forum wrote for help on this. Also have to check my local shop on price to paint. Just love the Mopar doors and uppers. Hard to compromise. The inside of the Strike Force does not excite me all that much..for the price.

We are definitely on the same page. The OEM's would be the best option for me. I just can't convince myself to fork over nearly $4k for something I don't need out of necessity.

The insides do look a little sketchy...but let's hope the pictures of the pre-fab mock ups were just there for fit rather than looks.
MJones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego area
Posts: 458
I think Qtrac may carry the Mopar OEM doors now. I'm looking at getting just the lowers for now and maybe a vendor will make slider top window soon. I'd use 1/2 doors only with top off and use a cab cover. Of course, we dont get much summer rain here. But I do think OEM looks the best!
JKatfish is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones View Post
We are definitely on the same page. The OEM's would be the best option for me. I just can't convince myself to fork over nearly $4k for something I don't need out of necessity.

The insides do look a little sketchy...but let's hope the pictures of the pre-fab mock ups were just there for fit rather than looks.
Why $4K...are they that much for a JKU ?...does that incl uppers ?
Oh...forgot the paint cost...mebbe so.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Why $4K...are they that much for a JKU ?...does that incl uppers ?
Oh...forgot the paint cost...mebbe so.
I was thinking the same thing, I know it is only about 2k for a 2dr. Personally I can live with them being black and my jeep being a different color, but unless they turn out to be almost as good as the OEM doors I will just order with 1/2s.
glap1922 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
I think Qtrac may carry the Mopar OEM doors now. I'm looking at getting just the lowers for now and maybe a vendor will make slider top window soon. I'd use 1/2 doors only with top off and use a cab cover. Of course, we dont get much summer rain here. But I do think OEM looks the best!
They do but you may be able to do better.. Still, they require assembly...not sure how tricky that is. Jeepsrus will offer the same or better price and assemble for more money...maybe worth it...dunno. I wonder if QT will offer assembly for a reasonable price ? I may check local shops to see what they'd charge.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
I think Qtrac may carry the Mopar OEM doors now. I'm looking at getting just the lowers for now and maybe a vendor will make slider top window soon. I'd use 1/2 doors only with top off and use a cab cover. Of course, we dont get much summer rain here. But I do think OEM looks the best!
Over 1k for a pair with no panel, hindges, uppers, or mirrors. Not painted either, plus you have to assemble.
glap1922 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by glap1922 View Post
Over 1k for a pair with no panel, hindges, uppers, or mirrors. Not painted either, plus you have to assemble.
Just found this: Front Half Door Kit - Jeep Wrangler - Item # 82212124, 82212126AB, 82212125AB, 82212131, & 82212132

Incl hinges but no mirrors. Panels are $149/set
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Looks to be about the same as Jeepsareus, but without the option to add on the rest of the stuff. I think this one is like 40-50 bucks cheaper though. Nice to have options at least.
glap1922 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by glap1922 View Post
Looks to be about the same as Jeepsareus, but without the option to add on the rest of the stuff. I think this one is like 40-50 bucks cheaper though. Nice to have options at least.
Not sure what the 'rest of the stuff' is that you mention. I think all prices on these are gonna be in the same ball park...
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Poneyxpres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface

Just found this: Front Half Door Kit - Jeep Wrangler - Item # 82212124, 82212126AB, 82212125AB, 82212131, & 82212132

Incl hinges but no mirrors. Panels are $149/set
$4,734 for a JKU. Doors plus interior panels. Then add paint an mirrors and I'd guess you are close to $6,000. If I could get all this for $2,500 I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm guessing not a lot of these are being sold by anyone.
Poneyxpres is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poneyxpres View Post
$4,734 for a JKU. Doors plus interior panels. Then add paint an mirrors and I'd guess you are close to $6,000. If I could get all this for $2,500 I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm guessing not a lot of these are being sold by anyone.
Wow..at that price I'm sure not many will buy. Never thought it'd be that much
My previous post was for front only/two door.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Not sure what the 'rest of the stuff' is that you mention. I think all prices on these are gonna be in the same ball park...
I just meant mirrors, electronic locks, assembly, that sort of thing. There are just more options. All things you can get elsewhere, but they have it as a 1 stop shop which is nice.
glap1922 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
OK...got it. I have not explored all the options there. Would be nice to have the mirrors at least...hate to have to move mine.
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Have the Rugged Ridge ones not reviewed well? Not exactly on the top of my list, but the RRs looked like a future possibility. The Bestop Elements actually seem like a better use of the cost.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Have the Rugged Ridge ones not reviewed well? Not exactly on the top of my list, but the RRs looked like a future possibility. The Bestop Elements actually seem like a better use of the cost.
I think (not sure) that the Bestop Element doors do not have any inside panel..just the tubes. Might be OK with you...? Not me

Hmmm...maybe I'm thinking of RR doors ?
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #24
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I think (not sure) that the Bestop Element doors do not have any inside panel..just the tubes. Might be OK with you...? Not me
Correct. My understanding is they're basically a "shield" of sorts that just sit over the tube doors. Q-tec has a good interactive web app with them here. They'd be good for me, but if I could get "real" half doors for that price . . . .
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Have the Rugged Ridge ones not reviewed well? Not exactly on the top of my list, but the RRs looked like a future possibility. The Bestop Elements actually seem like a better use of the cost.
From some reports, I hear that the RR doors are two pieces (maybe more) glued together. The fit is probably the biggest complaint I have seen. They also have pretty shabby latches/handles. With that being said, they give a more OEM style finished look from the exterior than other after market options.

Bestop Elements are great from what I hear. However, this is simply a tube door with a hard skin on the exterior. The interior still looks like a tube door.

IMO, the Rugged Ridge and Strike Force Zebra doors are for those of us who are
1. Looking for a true OEM half door look/fit
2. Also looking for a full enclosure as opposed to tubes with skins
MJones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Just came back from my body shop. They quoted $500 for paint and assembly...about $320 for paint only... Sure is adding up....but I could live with black for a while
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
cheap4tw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 428
The more I see pictures of half doors the more I want a set, but the MOPAR prices definitely are hefty.

Hopefully the ACE doors turn out well.
cheap4tw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Dogface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grass Valley, Ca
Posts: 1,473
Send a message via Skype™ to Dogface
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap4tw View Post
The more I see pictures of half doors the more I want a set, but the MOPAR prices definitely are hefty.

Hopefully the ACE doors turn out well.
I dunno if ACE is making doors or just tube doors.. Do you have any info at all on them ?
__________________
Mark
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
......Will Rogers

2012 Crush Wrangler Rubicon two door....Finally home
Leather, Auto, Tow, 4.10, Remote start, MT wheels
Dogface is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
I went with Mopar. I even got to use my Power Door locks in them. The only thing I'm missing out on when I switch is the power windows.
Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
CMEvans79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 3,391
Do we know how soon the "Strike Force Zebra" doors are going to come out? I'm planning on moving my mirrors anyway and I don't have the LUXURY of having electric windows so that set up would work great for getting something in a half door that looks half way decent. $650 compared to 1K+ ...

__________________
CMEvans79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked doors no key JeepYJBoy YJ Tech Forum 15 03-24-2012 07:51 PM
What do you do with doors off? fan of fanboys General Jeep Discussion 16 03-22-2012 06:44 AM
HELP with Bestop Bikini Top - or should I try a different brand? turtle03 TJ General Discussion Forum 4 03-21-2012 06:10 PM
New (to me) hardtop and full doors cavediverjc General Jeep Discussion 3 03-21-2012 05:30 PM
2010 jk wrangler unlimited brocklee327 Builders Corner 5 03-21-2012 05:23 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC