LED Tail Lamps? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,797
Images: 1
LED Tail Lamps?

I was thinking about getting the LED Tail Lamps for my 10 Rubicon. Any recommendations?

kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
WranglerX2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 289
Um, haven't tried, nor even seen them in person. I was looking at them online, but they are pretty pricey.....

__________________
WranglerX2009 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Goffstown
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
I was thinking about getting the LED Tail Lamps for my 10 Rubicon. Any recommendations?
I am looking to i think the LED style looks real nice not bad price at 200-300 either just think never replace another bulb
JKRubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubi View Post
I am looking to i think the LED style looks real nice not bad price at 200-300 either just think never replace another bulb
Buy a pack of 3157 bulbs from NAPA and for $12 you'll have replacement bulbs for the life of the Jeep...

Buy the things that get you unstuck, save your life, ease your travels first.
Then the bling.
Eat your veggies before desert.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Ape
Jeeper
 
Ape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Buy the things that get you unstuck, save your life, ease your travels first.
Then the bling.
Eat your veggies before desert.
Not quite sure that was the advice the original poster was looking for.

Kik... check these out.
Pilot Automotive Plug-n-Play LED Tail Lamp Set for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Ape is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape View Post
Not quite sure that was the advice the original poster was looking for.

Kik... check these out.
Pilot Automotive Plug-n-Play LED Tail Lamp Set for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Same tail lamps here for much less.
I have a set of those and might return them. The load resistor is not heavy enough to avoid fast flashing of the direction indicators..It flashes OK at idle, but once you get going it takes almost 15 fast flashes before she goes to normal flashing rate..I am in contact with these guys to get is resolved .. Will keep you posted..

p.s The backup light is NON LED.. just FYI...
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jerryj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Idyllwild
Posts: 670
Genright sells some, I like theirs they are 180$ get rid of the trailer lights.
jerryj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape View Post
Not quite sure that was the advice the original poster was looking for.
They asked for recommendations.
My recommendation is to avoid the product...

Most of those cosmetic electronic bling accessories are pretty poorly assembled from bits and pieces. Wiring in a few resistors is like throwing an electric blanket in your tail-light.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 52
I can see wanting to spend the money on off road lights like kc slims to help the driver see better, but I cant justify the trouble of switching to LEDs, muchless the price.
__________________
2008 Wrangler Unlimited-X 4x4
Steel Blue Metallic
sctrey99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
They asked for recommendations.
My recommendation is to avoid the product...

Most of those cosmetic electronic bling accessories are pretty poorly assembled from bits and pieces. Wiring in a few resistors is like throwing an electric blanket in your tail-light.
Do you think that they will become that hot.. For a flash cycle of 20-30 flashes,,?
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj View Post
Genright sells some, I like theirs they are 180$ get rid of the trailer lights.
I didn't found any for a Wrangler JK.. Can you post a link, I might have missed it.. Thanks
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Ape
Jeeper
 
Ape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Same tail lamps here for much less.
I have a set of those and might return them. The load resistor is not heavy enough to avoid fast flashing of the direction indicators..It flashes OK at idle, but once you get going it takes almost 15 fast flashes before she goes to normal flashing rate..I am in contact with these guys to get is resolved .. Will keep you posted..

p.s The backup light is NON LED.. just FYI...
Good feedback, info. :thumbsup:
Ape is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,797
Images: 1
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the Pilot LED's, but I don't like that they're not flashing normally (fast flashing regarding what US Antigoon indicated). For the price I would hope that they would operate correctly. At this point, back to Hilldweller's recommendation and buy a pack of 3157's. I think the LED's would have had a nice look, but until they can get them to work properly, I'll pass.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the Pilot LED's, but I don't like that they're not flashing normally (fast flashing regarding what US Antigoon indicated). For the price I would hope that they would operate correctly. At this point, back to Hilldweller's recommendation and buy a pack of 3157's. I think the LED's would have had a nice look, but until they can get them to work properly, I'll pass.
I will keep this thread updated once I have a solution from Pilot Automotive ...I told them that their "Fitness for use" Quality is being discussed here...

Footnote: Again an example of the aftermarket industry jumping on the ban-wagon without doing any field tests and customer validation..
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Footnote: Again an example of the aftermarket industry jumping on the ban-wagon without doing any field tests and customer validation..
Post it up on Candlepower Forums in the automotive section and get a better evaluation.
Most of the bling items are being shoved out of sweatshops in developing countries with zero testing or qc. It's hard to tell what's real and what's about to set you on fire.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,797
Images: 1
I'll tell ya, everytime I read the ad about these lights that they work flawlessly with your stock flasher it burns my ***. I'd like to thank USAntigoon again for reporting on this problem with this product.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
anyone check these out? I was thinking of getting them myself.
Jeep Wrangler JK LED Tail Lights
JerseyJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
yotefever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE WI
Posts: 158
Here is a link to a place that sells a bunch of different led products including a new flasher or load resistor so that they flash. There isn't enough load with the led's to make the flasher work properly.
These aren't lite assemblies just led replacement bulbs.
Super Bright LEDs - Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs
yotefever is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Ever notice "stop lights" or "GO" lights, that are half burned out ???

Somebody said that LED lights "never fail"

Rats, there goes the neighborhood !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Start a thread on Candlepower Forum and get an informed answer; asking a bunch of gearheads to speculate on semiconductors is like asking your grand-mom to program your dvr...

CandlePowerForums
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 9
KiK,
Don't do it! Going through hell with Crystal Eyes now, thought they would look neat, they do , but you own a Jeep, not a Honda! I have less than 20k on an 03 TJ, Had tail lights on Jeep less than a year, Over half the lamps on pass. side are out and the driver side is following! @ $279, this is not something I want to replace every year!


Just something to think about, I'm going back to stock!
rocknmiss is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,797
Images: 1
I'm definately, NOT getting any LED tail lights, etc. for my Rubicon. I don't care how many flashers/resistors they have. Sticking with what it was born with good old fashion bulbs, just like the classic that it is. However, I did follow Hilldweller's advice and I put in the Phillips + 80 head lamps. They work great. Thanks for all the input on this it saved me almost 300.00.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
WranglerX2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 289
These are the ones I was looking at:




But at close to 400 bucks, I figure I can find more useful mods.
__________________
WranglerX2009 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
hig4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 439
They are cool, but at the price I don't see the point.. I did add an LED Tail/brake light alone with LED turn signals to my motorcycle. But that is because on a motorcycle you want to make sure you are seen and don't get run over.

Most people don't miss noticing a Jeep Wrangler, and if they do I doubt LED lights would have helped..

But this place has LED 3157 and 194 bulbs
Motorcycle LED Light Bulbs
go to the bottom of the page
__________________

.....____
/l ,[____],
l---L []lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)----)_)
http://honpol.blogspot.com/
08 JK Unlimited, soft top, 6 speed, 3.73 tow package, cruise, limited slip, 265/75-16s
hig4s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Got a new set from Pilot Automotive and the same is happening.. fast flasher rate..
I still cannot understand how they do their field testing prior releasing their product into the market..

I am in discussion with their Sales Manager and will stick with it until resolved..
Just a matter of principle..
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Badfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: the oc
Posts: 362
^ im sorry for your troubles but all they need is somethinkg like this Load Resistor Kit all it does is create enough of a load that the bad bulb indicator, fast turn signal, will stay off. its simple a led doesnt draw near as much current as a incandescent bulb so you need to create it.
__________________
2008 Wrangler X. K and N drop in filter and BFG Mud Terrains.
Badfish is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
^ im sorry for your troubles but all they need is somethinkg like this Load Resistor Kit all it does is create enough of a load that the bad bulb indicator, fast turn signal, will stay off. its simple a led doesnt draw near as much current as a incandescent bulb so you need to create it.
They have load resistors.. But they are not pulling enough amps to simulate the OEM load.. The RH flasher unit will, once in a while, go to a normal rate after 10 cycles..(I believe the feed length to the RH tail lights might be a bit longer than the LH feed, hence more resistance.)
The LH side will never go to a normal flashing rate..
This just proves how "marginal" they have designed the circuitry and the load resistor..

I can fix that.. but that is not the issue .. I want THEM to fix it..their name is on the product..
Badfish I appreciate your comments and suggestions tough..
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Think capacitor, not resistor.
That's all the hint I'll give; I still won't give the Hilldweller seal of approval for these things...
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Six Lakes, MI
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Think capacitor, not resistor.
That's all the hint I'll give; I still won't give the Hilldweller seal of approval for these things...
My friend please explain a bit more.. I am bad with "carrots" in front of me..
(I thought this was a resistor and not a capacitor)

Yes I know your "reading" about LED's.. Honestly I have to agree with you.. But I still like to explore and learn a bit..
TNX
USAntigoon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
My friend please explain a bit more.. I am bad with "carrots" in front of me..
(I thought this was a resistor and not a capacitor)

Yes I know your "reading" about LED's.. Honestly I have to agree with you.. But I still like to explore and learn a bit..
TNX
I'm thinking that a capacitor would work better than a resistor to fool the system.

We sold our superconductor division years ago though and I don't have anybody to ask.
Post it on CPF and you'll get a more thorough answer. One that would work too...

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tail gate question dbleezy YJ Tech Forum 3 11-17-2009 03:47 PM
Tail Lights Tail Lights Tail Lights elhuberto YJ Tech Forum 21 03-12-2008 08:41 PM
Tail Lamp Bracket emilior TJ General Discussion Forum 10 08-09-2007 10:57 PM
Sidemarker Lamps nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 0 06-19-2007 09:07 PM
Hidden hitch / tail pipe vibration RWsJeep TJ General Discussion Forum 2 01-17-2006 12:52 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC