Lets talk Rust PREVENTION - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 65
Lets talk Rust PREVENTION

For you farmers out there I'm not talking about the horrible disease found in soybeans, I'm talking the vicious cancer that is rust on metal caused specifically by road salt. I've looked through the threads on rust and can't seem to find an answer to this specific type of question. I'm soon to be making my first wrangler purchase which depending on options will either be a 2014 2dr Wrangler X or a 2015 2dr Wrangler X. I live in a mountainous area which means lots of snow. Lots of snow means lots and lots and lots of SALT! : ( So, the question at hand, is there a coating that can be purchased from the factory to coat the under carriage to help prevent corrosion, or would it be better to buy said jeep and apply something aftermarket? If aftermarket application is the way to go, what would that product/process be? Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom!

RowenB is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,375
Rustoleum makes an aerosol rust converter that I used to great effect in keeping frame rust at bay on my old F150. Every spring and fall I'd spritz a bit on any little spot of rust that would be trying to start and the frame on that truck looked new after nine MN winters. It has sort of a strange feel to it when it dries, almost like rubber (black in color). I plan to give it a whirl on the Jeep too.

I bought some Fluid Film for the body itself....

__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic
'13 JK Sahara...too many other toys...

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Strokerswild is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Commander 800XT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North East, PA (Just East of Erie PA)
Posts: 49
I have the under carriage of my vehicles Fluid Filmed every couple years and it works well. My neighbor does it in his truck garage for $150. He pressure washes everything let's it dry and spray's everything with a mixture of Fluid Film and a bonding agent. He also pulls the plugs out of the doors and sprays the inside bottom of the doors where moisture collects.
Commander 800XT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerswild View Post
Rustoleum makes an aerosol rust converter that I used to great effect in keeping frame rust at bay on my old F150. Every spring and fall I'd spritz a bit on any little spot of rust that would be trying to start and the frame on that truck looked new after nine MN winters. It has sort of a strange feel to it when it dries, almost like rubber (black in color). I plan to give it a whirl on the Jeep too.

I bought some Fluid Film for the body itself....
Thanks for the tip, seems like the best way will be to put it on after market as anything you get seems to require annual application.
RowenB is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 100
Regarding the fluid film your neighbor applies...just curious how heavy he ends up applying it? I use the stuff a lot but do the best I can with aerosal cans, reapply often to key areas, but still rust creeps particularly in spots where paint has been scrapped off off-roading. Curious how perfect your fluid film drill has resulted in. Thanks!
Shanewolford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 56
I've been a big Fluid Film user, but I'll be coating my frame and hard lines in Penetrol when I get a new vehicle. I'll probably follow it up with annual applications of Fluid Film, and continue to use Fluid Film in other areas, especially painted places like the hinges, etc.
swanson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Rochester N.Y.
Posts: 37
Anybody here go to ziebart for the undercoating ? Had it in my last JKU thought it worked great , however I didn't take it off-road .
Kim1320 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 56
There are many products to prevent underbody rust, and I'm sure we'll see several good alternatives mentioned in this thread. Any tips on *where* to apply it before it eats, say, a rocker panel from the inside out though would be greatly appreciated! I'm also interested to hear if anyone thinks JKs rust through faster than, say, TJs, because of how comparatively thin the metal is, or if the JK is designed well enough compared to the TJ to prevent more rust from forming in the first place. Having just been to Colorado, I'm amazed at the rocker panels I saw. Those things looked like body-on-air-on-frame vehicles from 10 feet away. Magical, and at the same time, horrifying.
swanson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
dmako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 296
I applied fluid film for the first time on my under carriage this fall and we had a tough Winter. So far it is looking good everything I sprayed is still black.
dmako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mpls Minnesota
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post
I applied fluid film for the first time on my under carriage this fall and we had a tough Winter. So far it is looking good everything I sprayed is still black.
How did you apply it? Did you just use aerosol cans or high pressure sprayer?
DiscDog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
ocd_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 717
Have a bottle of "Rodda Paint - Corroseal Rust Converter" waiting for summer weather, then will hit all the rusty areas underneath.

Corroseal Rust Converter and Metal Primer (Quart)
__________________
2014 Rubicon X - Granite Crystal Metallic
6 Speed - Dual Tops - Auto Climate Control
ocd_dave is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
loud pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 367
Spraying the undercarriage with Rustoleum every spring and fall have saved my vehicles. I am going to try Fluid Film this spring on my Jeep since we've had such a rough winter. The I also like the idea of it penetrating the surface rust we all get on our drive shafts and u-joints. It's a never-ending battle for sure.
__________________
2012 Call of Duty MW3 #1627/3500
2006 Hummer H3 Luxury-Off Road
2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
2007 Harley Street Glide
loud pipes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
ACKMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 28
I had a product similar to Fluid Film put on my 2014 JKU the other day. They recommend reapplication every 18 months. The company is based out of Ontario, Canada, so I'm betting the product is good. They have distributors across the U.S. that will apply the product, but they are few and far between. You can search for a distributor on their website. They also sell the product if you want to DIY.

http://corrosionfree.com/index.php

Jim
ACKMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKMan View Post
I had a product similar to Fluid Film put on my 2014 JKU the other day. They recommend reapplication every 18 months. The company is based out of Ontario, Canada, so I'm betting the product is good. They have distributors across the U.S. that will apply the product, but they are few and far between. You can search for a distributor on their website. They also sell the product if you want to DIY. http://corrosionfree.com/index.php Jim
Interesting. Sure seems like fluid film. They actually have a dealer close to me whereas no fluid film dealers close by. You pleased?
Shanewolford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
dmako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscDog View Post

How did you apply it? Did you just use aerosol cans or high pressure sprayer?
I used 2 and 1/2 aerosol cans along with their optional wand to get to hard to reach places.
dmako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ScarletVarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Middle of the West Coast, when home. Middle of the desert, stuck in sand, when not home.
Posts: 321
Images: 1
Treating the Jeep to a wash now and then isn't a bad thing, even if it doesn't seem to make sense in the winter - it does. It helps remove salt, which over time gets the corrosion going.

Remember - salt itself isn't corrosive, it's a catalyst. It attracts water, to stay in contact with your metal bits (including wiring and in-door and under-hood items, it killed an electronic lock solenoid in one of my cars) Going from liquid solution to crystal is what wedges and pries open more metal for water to get to (and separate the Oxygen from hydrogen to a new happy home with iron) at a molecular level.

(can you tell I took chemistry?)

So in a nutshell, on good days, spray it off whenever you can.
ScarletVarlet is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
ACKMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanewolford View Post
Interesting. Sure seems like fluid film. They actually have a dealer close to me whereas no fluid film dealers close by. You pleased?
So far so good. They did a thorough job applying it. They told me that renewing it every two years will be fine. I asked about being able to go through an undercarriage wash on a regular basis and they said it wasn't a problem. The product penetrates and won't wash off. They can actually do applications on rainy days when the undercarriage is wet. The product disperses the water and penetrates. Time will tell...
ACKMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
loud pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletVarlet View Post
Treating the Jeep to a wash now and then isn't a bad thing, even if it doesn't seem to make sense in the winter - it does. It helps remove salt, which over time gets the corrosion going. Remember - salt itself isn't corrosive, it's a catalyst. It attracts water, to stay in contact with your metal bits (including wiring and in-door and under-hood items, it killed an electronic lock solenoid in one of my cars) Going from liquid solution to crystal is what wedges and pries open more metal for water to get to (and separate the Oxygen from hydrogen to a new happy home with iron) at a molecular level. (can you tell I took chemistry?) So in a nutshell, on good days, spray it off whenever you can.
^^^This. I wash mine as much as possible even if to just get off the crust.
__________________
2012 Call of Duty MW3 #1627/3500
2006 Hummer H3 Luxury-Off Road
2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
2007 Harley Street Glide
loud pipes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1320 View Post
Anybody here go to ziebart for the undercoating ? Had it in my last JKU thought it worked great , however I didn't take it off-road .
I had Ziebart undercoating (only) on my 2006 Rubicon, and my 2011 Rubicon.

Great results. I am in Northeast Ohio with LOTS of road salt and the Ziebart undercoating worked great.

Highly recommended!

Mabar
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabar View Post
I had Ziebart undercoating (only) on my 2006 Rubicon, and my 2011 Rubicon.

Great results. I am in Northeast Ohio with LOTS of road salt and the Ziebart undercoating worked great.

Highly recommended!

Mabar
How much was Ziebart?
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 233
I use Fluid Film also....I apply it with an undercoating gun at 40 psi.....never have any rust on my vehicles I spray down with it. I reapply each fall before the snow flies. Takes a little under 1/2 a gallon to do my Wrangler Unlimited.
DIXIEDOG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
How much was Ziebart?
Can't remember exactly - it was a few years ago.

Go to Ziebart.com and call your local Ziebart for pricing.
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
Late fall every year, I pull my 11 JKR part way up a step hill, climb underneath and spray a large can of WD40 all over everything underneath. Three winters here in the rustbelt and it looks fine.
JoeR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
Newb
 
Oneironaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
On Monday, I crawled underneath and gave her a good solid coating of Fluid Film. I guess only time will tell how well it holds up, but I can definitely say that it creates a visible film (hence the name) on anything you spray it on. I'm going to let it sit on there for a week or so before giving the undercarriage a spray down to judge how well it stays there.
Oneironaut is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
Hi I have a 2010 and have noticed some rust but I have no time or skills to do a underbody prevention dose anyone know a place that will do it I'm close to fairfield CT so lots of rd salts this past winters. Ty
Joey26 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle & Tucson
Posts: 105
Images: 3
The most reliable solution is to move to the West Coast - where road salt is little needed and little used. One thing we avoid out here like the plague is buying used cars that spent part of their life in the midwest or the northeast.
augsburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
That Jeep Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 352
Two good products to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowenB View Post
For you farmers out there I'm not talking about the horrible disease found in soybeans, I'm talking the vicious cancer that is rust on metal caused specifically by road salt. I've looked through the threads on rust and can't seem to find an answer to this specific type of question. I'm soon to be making my first wrangler purchase which depending on options will either be a 2014 2dr Wrangler X or a 2015 2dr Wrangler X. I live in a mountainous area which means lots of snow. Lots of snow means lots and lots and lots of SALT! : ( So, the question at hand, is there a coating that can be purchased from the factory to coat the under carriage to help prevent corrosion, or would it be better to buy said jeep and apply something aftermarket? If aftermarket application is the way to go, what would that product/process be? Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom!
My 2010 and 2013 JKUs both came with Dinitrol applied - I think that this is done by Jeep when the vehicles enter the country, but it may be done by the importer; I'm unsure.

On my previous Land Rovers I've always had Waxoyl applied.

I haven't yet performed either application all by myself (not a big cost to have it done by the pros and they spray inside the doors and each and every crack and crevice), however, if I planned to keep my vehicle more than 3 years I would reapply after 3-5 years just to be sure. We have a lot of salt on the roads here and the winters are long!

I have read before on Jeep and Land Rover forums in Australia that some people there use some kind of de-scented fish oil - that doesn't sound like something I would want to try.

To answer your 'question at hand' - I would recommend having it applied as soon as it rolls off the delivery truck and before you even take possession of the Jeep. Just a drive in the rain can allow water into places where it won't immediately dry and might make for a less than perfect application.
That Jeep Guy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
doufus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie
Posts: 254
Thank god i live where snow does not fall. Plus the Aussie versions come with more protection. As in paint, even the drive shafts are painted.
__________________
It's not a car. It's a Jeep
doufus1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
rdg04578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: northern maine
Posts: 421
If you live in the Northeast--preventing rust is not possible---it is natures way to recycle your vehicles. You can spend thousands of dollars trying to stop the inevitable--but the bottom line is how long are you keeping your vehicle--it is not going to rust out in 6 or 8 years--not with today's coatings. Maybe you will have some issues with the body--but can you fix it for less then the $1000 bucks you already spent on the rust coatings? There are some schools of thought that the rust proof under coatings can actually do more harm then good since they can trap moisture and contaminanets --Guess it all comes down to what makes you feel good---but bottom line is todays vehicles shouldn't rust out in less then 10 years---the time frame most people keep their vehicles.

rdg04578 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC