Lift kit, tire size, and performance chip suggestions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Tdimop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Lift kit, tire size, and performance chip suggestions

Hi all, have committed to dropping some more cash into the jeep and I have a couple questions.

Have a 08 rubicon 4 door. Looking for a 3.5 lift. Looking for a moderately priced kit. I'm not a real hardcore 4x4 'r. But I hit the logging trails, river crossings, and mid level 4x4 trails. I really don't see me rock crawling. Lol. Any suggestions?

And of course when the lift gets put on I'm looking at newer tired. I love the aggressive look of the stock tires but found out they only come in the one size. ( what the heck!!! ). I would really like to keep the same rims but have no idea how much bigger of a tire I can go without spacers or new rims. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I'm totally confused about which chip set to get. I read some articles and it says you have to take into consideration the changes you do from stock. I will be putting in a K&N air filter and lift. Could someone help me out with this? Or tell me if it's even worth the money for a chip.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Thomas

Tdimop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,406
Depending on how much coin you have to drop i would suggest the RK or Synergy 3.5" lift, but do your research.

Rock Krawler Catalog
Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Suspension*::*Suspension & Lift Kits*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*2007-Current Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Systems*::*Synergy Suspension*::*Synergy Suspension Jeep JK Stage 2 Suspension System, 3.0"-4.5" Lift -

The stock Rubi tires are a mud terrain so anything of the like will be just as aggressive. I would suggest the Maxxis Bighorn, they are an aggressive mud and perform great and also won't break the bank. A good in between would be the Goodyear Duratrac or Kelly Safari TSR (basically same tire) they are an aggressive all terrain. Ask how many people are running Duratracs!

MT-762 Bighorn

As for "chipping" a lot of people run the superships flashpaq but I would suggest you regear first. To push 35's I would go 5.13's or 5.38's depending on if you are manual or automatic.

Research a lot before spending your money, there is a lot of info out there. Even wheel your stuff stock, a rubi is plenty capable stock.

-Dan

__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,835
Thomas,

When you say, "Looking for a moderately priced kit.", what do you have in mind? Why a 3.5" lift? Once you lift your JK to the 3.5" range, you start needing to look at things like drive shafts and such. Just wondering why a 3.5" and what kind or range your looking at so we can help point you in the right direction. Feel free to PM me if you dont want to put that out here.

For the stock wheels, you can run up to a 37x1250x17 if you would like. Height wise, your fine as far as the wheel goes but you need to stick with a 1250 or narrower tire. Now, to GET that on the JK is a different story. You will need wheel spacers for larger tires and of course a lift to make room.

As for the tuner, like Dan said, the Superchips is a great choice. If your looking for something cheaper, the AEV Procal for $150 shipped is a good choice to do some minor things to the JK.

Let us know if we can help!
-Jason
__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Thomas,

When you say, "Looking for a moderately priced kit.", what do you have in mind? Why a 3.5" lift? Once you lift your JK to the 3.5" range, you start needing to look at things like drive shafts and such. Just wondering why a 3.5" and what kind or range your looking at so we can help point you in the right direction. Feel free to PM me if you dont want to put that out here.

For the stock wheels, you can run up to a 37x1250x17 if you would like. Height wise, your fine as far as the wheel goes but you need to stick with a 1250 or narrower tire. Now, to GET that on the JK is a different story. You will need wheel spacers for larger tires and of course a lift to make room.

As for the tuner, like Dan said, the Superchips is a great choice. If your looking for something cheaper, the AEV Procal for $150 shipped is a good choice to do some minor things to the JK.

Let us know if we can help!
-Jason
On stock JK wheels the max width without rub is 10.5in not 12.5.. He would need spacers or best new wheels if he went that wide.. Or at least that is the way I understand it from research, forum time, and my experience with JK's has led me to believe
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,835
Yeah, that is right. I mentioned he can run upto a 1250 on the stock wheel but to get it to fit on the JK, he will need to run wheel spacers...

-Jason
__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdimop View Post
Hi all, have committed to dropping some more cash into the jeep and I have a couple questions.

Have a 08 rubicon 4 door. Looking for a 3.5 lift. Looking for a moderately priced kit. I'm not a real hardcore 4x4 'r. But I hit the logging trails, river crossings, and mid level 4x4 trails. I really don't see me rock crawling. Lol. Any suggestions?

And of course when the lift gets put on I'm looking at newer tired. I love the aggressive look of the stock tires but found out they only come in the one size. ( what the heck!!! ). I would really like to keep the same rims but have no idea how much bigger of a tire I can go without spacers or new rims. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I'm totally confused about which chip set to get. I read some articles and it says you have to take into consideration the changes you do from stock. I will be putting in a K&N air filter and lift. Could someone help me out with this? Or tell me if it's even worth the money for a chip.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Thomas
What size tires do you want to run?

I love the Superchips tuner. It really works well. It has a ton of options and you can feel the difference. I can't say i notice a difference changing out the air intake.
Full-Traction Suspension is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension

What size tires do you want to run?

I love the Superchips tuner. It really works well. It has a ton of options and you can feel the difference. I can't say i notice a difference changing out the air intake.
X2 Superchips
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tdimop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Thanks guys. Thanks for all the input.

Here is the cost stuff you guys asked about.

For the lift I was thinking of 1,500 - 1,800 installed.

Tires: around 1,400

Chip: 250 ish. If worth it.

Krawl-off road, I thought of the 3.5 cause all the places I went to in Canada said that at 4 inch I was looking at an extreme extra cost because of all the extras they have to add. Was more of a cost effectiveness. ( bang for buck ).

Here is a question. You guys said 12.5 would rub? My friend got a 4 inch with 33 / 12.5 dick ceptics. Installed from the factory when he bought his 08. Would they install that if it rubbed?


Sorry if these questions sound simple but I'm more of an interior mod guy. Lol.

I will try and send some Picts.

Ohhh and my rubi is an automatic.

Thanks again for info.

Thomas
Tdimop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Tdimop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Hi all, I have made up my mind on what I'm gonna upgrade to.

3 inch BDS lift
35 bf goodyears. A/T's
Spider trax spacers.

K&N air filter has been bought.

Can't wait. Lol

Anyone know of any problems that might arise from this?

Will post pics after done.

Thomas
Tdimop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
The K&N will hurt more then help, Especially if you offroad your jeep.. and Im not sure what a "bf goodyear" is. Im pretty against spacers even if they are spider trax but alot of people use them, especially on the JK so I don't argue about it anymore
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Tdimop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
Ha ha. Sorry my mind must have been wondering. Bf Goodrich. Lol

I agree regarding the spacers but I have never seen offset rims that I like.
Do you know the minimum width of the spacer I will need? I see there are couple sizes.

Thomas.
Tdimop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdimop
Ha ha. Sorry my mind must have been wondering. Bf Goodrich. Lol

I agree regarding the spacers but I have never seen offset rims that I like.
Do you know the minimum width of the spacer I will need? I see there are couple sizes.

Thomas.
1.25 spacers with stock rims 6 (ish)-will be
closer to the 4.5 that is recommended BS that's needed to run bigger tires.

And almost all aftermarket wheels have less backspacing. Offset is the mounting point off centerline. You would want 0 or in the negatives.

kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lift and tire size questions... letterskilled JK General Discussion Forum 3 01-12-2012 09:37 AM
Soliciting your opinion- lift height vs. tire size gluestick JK General Discussion Forum 13 11-28-2011 11:52 AM
Need help with tires TX95YJ YJ Tech Forum 15 11-19-2011 05:32 PM
Looking to change tire size? Read me! 95riogrande YJ Tech Forum 15 09-17-2010 07:19 AM
how much does tire weight affect performance as the actual size? daredevil5269 Tires & Wheels 2 01-26-2010 09:17 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC