lifting 2012 jku - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
lifting 2012 jku

so i should be getting a 2012 jku here shortly and want to lift it 2.5 to 3.5 inches, i would like to run 35's with good room to flex still and this jeep will also be a daily driver. what is the best lift kit out there for dual purpose jeeps? and what kind of problems can i expect from lifting a jku sport into that range? i am fairly decent with mechanics but have never installed a lift on anything. is this something i should skip doing it myself and take it in? what all goes into it? thanks for any help

LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Over 3in you will have to replace the front driveshaft typically not right away but typically depending on your wheeling it doesn't take to long for the stock one to fail.. If you just roll around on the street the stock ds will last longer then if your out wheeling where you are causing drive shaft movement. Typically that is your biggest hurdle when lifting a JKU. There is a mater of the exhuast getting in the way but I don't have a complete understanding of that issue yet so I'll let others speak to it. Um since your going to 35's and you have a sport.. Presuming you have 3.73 gearing you should be ok as far as tollerence to power loss but it will be much more noticable if you got 3.21's.

You might run into the need to replace either upper or lower control arms or both.. But not sure if only going to 3.5in would be enough to need that.. Could be wrong so someone might bring up that might not.. My recomendation is avoid the DS hassle and cost. Get a 2.5-3in lift..

__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
Over 3in you will have to replace the front driveshaft typically not right away but typically depending on your wheeling it doesn't take to long for the stock one to fail.. If you just roll around on the street the stock ds will last longer then if your out wheeling where you are causing drive shaft movement. Typically that is your biggest hurdle when lifting a JKU. There is a mater of the exhuast getting in the way but I don't have a complete understanding of that issue yet so I'll let others speak to it. Um since your going to 35's and you have a sport.. Presuming you have 3.73 gearing you should be ok as far as tollerence to power loss but it will be much more noticable if you got 3.21's.

You might run into the need to replace either upper or lower control arms or both.. But not sure if only going to 3.5in would be enough to need that.. Could be wrong so someone might bring up that might not.. My recomendation is avoid the DS hassle and cost. Get a 2.5-3in lift..
thanks xj. what size tires do you recomend for a 2.5? will 35's leave me with room to flex?
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
What size rim you looking to run? 15x8, 16x8, or 17x8/9? 2.5in is kinda close for flex when disco'd but you'd be fine I think.. A 3in would be perfect which are common enough for a JKU. Whats you budget for your lift? There are plenty of options out there and depending on how much you want to spend I along with others can recomend specific companies and lifts for you
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ndnbennyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 104
I have a 2.5" procomp lift with maxxis bighorn 35" tire and 16x9 soft 8 wheels. I did all the work and also never put a lift on. It wasn't hard. I did it on a lift. In order to drop the front axel far enough to put the springs in, I had to disconnect my drive shaft from the pumpkin. I didn't disconnect the control arms. I just disconnecte the sway bar end links and the shocks along with the track bars. I installed JKS disconnects in the front. It didn't take much to connect the front track bar once I had the lift and tires on. Just a friend to push the jeep side to side. The rear track bar is something else. I recommend a heavy duty ratchet strap or a come along. I got a procal and now everything is pretty cherry. The lift cost me about $680 with shocks. I got it from 4 wheel parts. The rims I got from big o and they were cheap. I have 5 rims and working on getting a 5th 35 for the spare.

Update on the jeep
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

| | ,[____],
l--L |-OlllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ndnbennyb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight View Post
What size rim you looking to run? 15x8, 16x8, or 17x8/9? 2.5in is kinda close for flex when disco'd but you'd be fine I think.. A 3in would be perfect which are common enough for a JKU. Whats you budget for your lift? There are plenty of options out there and depending on how much you want to spend I along with others can recomend specific companies and lifts for you
well i need to talk to a few buddies and see if its something we can manage to do (and do well lol) on our own if thats the case and im not paying labor (more then a case of beer) i'd go to 1500 for the lift. and have not decided on wheels yet probably 16x8
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbennyb View Post
I have a 2.5" procomp lift with maxxis bighorn 35" tire and 16x9 soft 8 wheels. I did all the work and also never put a lift on. It wasn't hard. I did it on a lift. In order to drop the front axel far enough to put the springs in, I had to disconnect my drive shaft from the pumpkin. I didn't disconnect the control arms. I just disconnecte the sway bar end links and the shocks along with the track bars. I installed JKS disconnects in the front. It didn't take much to connect the front track bar once I had the lift and tires on. Just a friend to push the jeep side to side. The rear track bar is something else. I recommend a heavy duty ratchet strap or a come along. I got a procal and now everything is pretty cherry. The lift cost me about $680 with shocks. I got it from 4 wheel parts. The rims I got from big o and they were cheap. I have 5 rims and working on getting a 5th 35 for the spare.

Update on the jeep
well thats not bad at all! did you have to do any welding? hows the procomp handle on and off road? also what kinda of effect does a lift have on the warranty?
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
I did the rubicon express basic kit also from 4 wheel parts. It was an easy install no issues no disconnecting drive shafts etc. comes with adjustable track bars front nd rear. Here is me complete build with details I you won't to look. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/mat...ld-160398.html

And the ride with 35's is fantastic!
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
thanks darkfire! dig your jeep!
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ndnbennyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTHER88 View Post
well thats not bad at all! did you have to do any welding? hows the procomp handle on and off road? also what kinda of effect does a lift have on the warranty?
No welding. It comes with everything you need for an inexpensive lift. I recommend getting disconnects because if not, they give you a swaybar drop bracket and I don't like that idea. Plus I like to disconnect. Oh, and I also bought longer break lines for extra assurance. I took it on a pretty rocky trail and had no problems. I too have a 2012 JKU sport. On the road it isn't too bad. You can tell its lifted but it isn't like riding on steel blocks. With 35's, I can feel the weight difference but the good ole pentistar hasn't let me down. As for the warranty, I have no idea. I'm guessing it isn't good for it but they would have to prove that the lift was the cause of the problem that you take it in to get worked on for. So far, I love what I've done to the jeep. It isn't a Prius when it comes to gas mileage but I didn't buy a jeep to fill up once a month.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

| | ,[____],
l--L |-OlllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ndnbennyb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
Thank you and your always welcome
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
yeah gas is expensive but i think everyone here agrees this is about a lot more then fuel economy! i dont even bother asking about that kind of thing haha
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
14 mpg :-)
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
14 mpg :-)
still better then pretty much any vehicle i have ever owned! gotta be careful what i say the EPA may come after me!
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
Buy more gas it supports foreign interest ;-)
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ndnbennyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 104
Pretty beast jeep darkfire. I'm too impatient to save enough money to trick my jeep out that much. I do a little at a time because I'm impatient. Soon enough.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

| | ,[____],
l--L |-OlllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ndnbennyb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbennyb
Pretty beast jeep darkfire. I'm too impatient to save enough money to trick my jeep out that much. I do a little at a time because I'm impatient. Soon enough.
I'm impatient too that's why it looks like it does. I couldn't stand waiting to do this over a year or so. Besides we could be gone tomorrow, so live for today!


And u have a nice looking jeep also
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
ndnbennyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 104
Oh andhe reason I disconnected the front drive shaft was because of that damn exhaust. The drive shaft would only go so far because of it. I plan on getting the exhaust spacers.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

| | ,[____],
l--L |-OlllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
ndnbennyb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
what lift would you guys suggest for a DD/toy for around or under 1500?
LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTHER88
what lift would you guys suggest for a DD/toy for around or under 1500?
3" tereflex with JKS adjustable trac arms front/rear and adjustable Lca front/rear.
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,877
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTHER88
what lift would you guys suggest for a DD/toy for around or under 1500?
Again I'd go rubicon express basic kit comes with adjustable track bars front nd rear. Then buy some steel 15" rims and tires. That should but about 2000 depending on the tire price
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
LUTHER88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
Again I'd go rubicon express basic kit comes with adjustable track bars front nd rear. Then buy some steel 15" rims and tires. That should but about 2000 depending on the tire price
thats where they get you! thanks again darkfire, been a big help!

LUTHER88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC