Like/Don't like/Change - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Like/Don't like/Change

Hi all. I have been lurking for a while now and will be getting a Jeep by year's end. Some may remember that I have a 2008 M3 that is going to be returned in October when the lease is up. Anyway what I want to know is 2 things that you like, 2 things that you don't like and 2 things that you'd change about your Jeep. This would go for all models (Sport, Sahara and Rubicon) JK and JKU. Thanks in advance.

__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Newb
 
billydjenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fishers
Posts: 12
I love my new rubicon. Traded An 08 sahara. The new interior with leather is better than I imagined. Very comfy. Great look. Road noise is minimum.
Dislike: still a little under power. Rear seats do not recline.
Goo luck

billydjenn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,631
Images: 1
I'll start with the M3. Had an 03 for 6yrs and hesitated to sell it but after we did it was great to get rid of it. Horrible paint, numerous recalls, defects, etc. Now that I vented; have a loaded 10 Rubi 2dr 6spd and love everything about it and that's comparing it to our 89 YJ 4.2 and former 06 TJ. Coming from an M3 you might want to wait for a higher H.P. 12. I have no problem with the current 3.8. You're never going to make a JK a performance vehicle so why be delusional about it. Accept it for what it can do. Go for a Rubicon, it can do a lot. If you need more room for passengers and gear get a 4dr. Rubi. Good luck with your decision.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,860
with nearly 3000 miles since purchase, I'm satisfied with my 08 Sahara JK. It's better than I hoped in all ways.

What I'd change, is finding a similar JKU for same $$.....which wasn't going to happen after the intense year search I did before purchase.

Although I *would* like to include the original M101 Bantam ammo trailer as an option.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Billydjenn that new interior is really nice. I saw a black Rubi at a local dealer and I was impressed. I know the diehard Wrangler folks might hate it but it looked really sharp.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,061
Like:
Goes anywhere.
Good comfort level for a tall guy like me.

Dislike:
Lack of power.
Needs $5000 worth of aftermarket.

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

Hilldweller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I've got an '08 JKU Rubi-

I didn't like the wheels/tires--changed
I didn't like the shocks--changed
I didn't like the lift--changed
I didn't like the fenders--changed
I didn't like the bumpers--changed
I didn't like the seat fabric--changed
I didn't like the lighting--changed
I didn't like the roll protection--changed
I didn't like the freeswinging doors--changed

I liked the engine/e-lockers/e-swaybar/4-1 xfer case/Rubi hydraulic brake tweaks-

I likeit now-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik
I'll start with the M3. Had an 03 for 6yrs and hesitated to sell it but after we did it was great to get rid of it. Horrible paint, numerous recalls, defects, etc. Now that I vented; have a loaded 10 Rubi 2dr 6spd and love everything about it and that's comparing it to our 89 YJ 4.2 and former 06 TJ. Coming from an M3 you might want to wait for a higher H.P. 12. I have no problem with the current 3.8. You're never going to make a JK a performance vehicle so why be delusional about it. Accept it for what it can do. Go for a Rubicon, it can do a lot. If you need more room for passengers and gear get a 4dr. Rubi. Good luck with your decision.
I remember those recalls on the E46 M3. After this winter in NY, I've decided that I need a vehicle that is capable of all weather/all year driving. I got tired of being stranded or stuck in the snow, worrying about where I park and who is going to scratch my car. Its an expensive headache and I honestly can't wait for October to come. I want something simple and effective and I think I've found it in the Wrangler. I am leaning towards the Rubicon too and looking to hit some trails when the time comes. I also like the creature comforts that would make the transition easier from the M3 to the Rubi.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Like:
Goes anywhere.
Good comfort level for a tall guy like me.

Dislike:
Lack of power.
Needs $5000 worth of aftermarket.
Looks good man. I'm 6'2" 235lbs. If you're taller than me then I'll be fine.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
I've got an '08 JKU Rubi-

I didn't like the wheels/tires--changed
I didn't like the shocks--changed
I didn't like the lift--changed
I didn't like the fenders--changed
I didn't like the bumpers--changed
I didn't like the seat fabric--changed
I didn't like the lighting--changed
I didn't like the roll protection--changed
I didn't like the freeswinging doors--changed

I liked the engine/e-lockers/e-swaybar/4-1 xfer case/Rubi hydraulic brake tweaks-

I likeit now-

JIMBO
Lol Jimbox you're always a trip. I think we all will change something at some point or the other.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I'm always on a trip and I'm sure you also remember that I'm-


Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINUS View Post
Lol Jimbox you're always a trip. I think we all will change something at some point or the other.
--6'4"++, but after 40 years of many physical endeavors, I'm still 190 lbs-and the Rubi seat adjustments are adequate for my comfort !!

Can'tbeatem-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 147
2011 Sport

Like:
Handling
Look
Ability to customize easily

Dislike:
Underpowered engine, but still fun to drive
I got 2 dr, wish in hindsight I got 4 dr (more space to haul stuff, dog etc)
richie894 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
This is a really good question.

(a) Two things I like: I'll do four. Capability, look, ease of customization, jeep community. I could keep going.

(b) Two things I don't: The combination of power + gas mileage.

I disagree that the engine is "underpowered." I'm not going to win races, but I never have problems getting up to speed, so in my view this is "adequate."

The problem I have is that even though the power is only "adequate," it only manages 16 mpg. I'd be happy with either of two solutions. Keep the mileage low but give me Hemi-level power, or keep the power just adequate and give me 28 mpg. Instead I've got Hemi-type gas mileage with only adequate power.

(c) Two things I'd change: The power/mileage ratio discussed above. I also think the stock fenders are too large. I'm trying to find replacements I like, but have not yet.
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
UConn Husky

WF Supporting Member
 
Grog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 422
Images: 6
I have a 2010 JKU X and there are lots of things I like. Goes where I want and I can customize it how I want - that's onethink I really like about the X model.

Two things I would change - gas mileage; and those stupid hood latches that allow the hood to flex and make you think it is going to go flying open at 70mph on the highway.
Grog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 513
Posts: 78
My two cents:

I traded my '07 BMW X-3 for my '10 JK. You will immediately know that these are two completely polar opposite vehicles. I went back to a Wrangler b/c I used to have a '00 Wrangler and I loved it and missed it... I swore I would be back and I am...

Two/Three Loves: 1. I no longer have to worry about scratches, dents, door dings, etc. In essence, parking is easy and worry free, ahhhh!
2. Turning radius and seat height are awesome. Great panoramic view...

Two dislikes: 1. Poor handling (to be expected, though) & 2. anemic performance (again: to be expected, so i got over it.)

Overall: Love the JK. Will trade my current ride in for a new 2012 JK, that I will personally order to my specifications. I ordered my old '00 and will do so again in '12.

Cheers,

BB
BenDiem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Wow thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad to see that there aren't any major mechanical problems to cause concern. My M3 has 414hp so I'm going to take a huge hp hit but I drive a company Jeep Patriot daily so I kind of know what I'm getting myself into. I love the look of the Wrangler and the capabilities are beyond my abilities at the moment but I'm willing to challenge myself. I'm looking at most of the dislikes and they are pretty much fixable or "moddable". You can pretty much make this thing your own.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH
This is a really good question.

(a) Two things I like: I'll do four. Capability, look, ease of customization, jeep community. I could keep going.

(b) Two things I don't: The combination of power + gas mileage.

I disagree that the engine is "underpowered." I'm not going to win races, but I never have problems getting up to speed, so in my view this is "adequate."

The problem I have is that even though the power is only "adequate," it only manages 16 mpg. I'd be happy with either of two solutions. Keep the mileage low but give me Hemi-level power, or keep the power just adequate and give me 28 mpg. Instead I've got Hemi-type gas mileage with only adequate power.

(c) Two things I'd change: The power/mileage ratio discussed above. I also think the stock fenders are too large. I'm trying to find replacements I like, but have not yet.
I think I can agree with that there. 15mpg and 19mpg are bad. Give me power or give me mileage. Both are ideal but can't have it all now can we?
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 26,948
Images: 4
06 Unlimited here.

2 likes: 1) I can go anywhere, anytime regardless of road or weather conditions
2) I can customize it to be anything I want. Tons of aftermarket goodies.

Dislikes: (Only 1) Having to deal with the dealership (still under warranty)

Changes: 1) Better mileage
2) quit spitting the gas back out at me when I fill it.
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem
My two cents:

I traded my '07 BMW X-3 for my '10 JK. You will immediately know that these are two completely polar opposite vehicles. I went back to a Wrangler b/c I used to have a '00 Wrangler and I loved it and missed it... I swore I would be back and I am...

Two/Three Loves: 1. I no longer have to worry about scratches, dents, door dings, etc. In essence, parking is easy and worry free, ahhhh!
2. Turning radius and seat height are awesome. Great panoramic view...

Two dislikes: 1. Poor handling (to be expected, though) & 2. anemic performance (again: to be expected, so i got over it.)

Overall: Love the JK. Will trade my current ride in for a new 2012 JK, that I will personally order to my specifications. I ordered my old '00 and will do so again in '12.

Cheers,

BB
I feel you on the scratches and parking. Such a pain. I always look for corner spots where I'm the first car and I can bumper wrap the rear bumper. It's illegal to cover your front plate in NY with anything. Even that light tint cover is illegal. I'm thinking with a lift and metal bumpers and winch they can bump me all they want. They will do more damage to their car than my Jeep.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, you forgot to add one more dislike-


Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsDream View Post
06 Unlimited here.

2 likes: 1) I can go anywhere, anytime regardless of road or weather conditions
2) I can customize it to be anything I want. Tons of aftermarket goodies.

Dislikes: (Only 1) Having to deal with the dealership (still under warranty)

Changes: 1) Better mileage
2) quit spitting the gas back out at me when I fill it.
It's a TJ, not a JK/JKU

JIMBO

__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
I have a 2010 JKU X and there are lots of things I like. Goes where I want and I can customize it how I want - that's onethink I really like about the X model.
The 2010 model should be Sport, not the X. At least thats what my 2010 2-door jeep is. Just curious.
__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, you forgot to add one more dislike-
It's a TJ, not a JK/JKU

JIMBO

I had a feeling someone was going to say that!
__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 146
We came to the Wrangler party from a tiny hatchback late last year, so worlds apart.

Like: Everything! Soft top / hard top, removable doors, offroad capability

Dislike: Limited boot space is a pain, but easily removable rear seat helps

Change: Not sure, biggest gripe is that 6th gear in the manual is a serious moon-shot. Anything more than a slight incline and you have to change down, which turns off cruise control. God help you if there's a stiff headwind.
chrisojk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #24
Just a kid at heart...

WF Supporting Member
 
seadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Almost where I belong...
Posts: 14,138
I have to ask a dumb question. What is an M3?
__________________
Brian



I tried to be good, but I got bored...
seadog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
jkmountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houma, LA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
I have to ask a dumb question. What is an M3?
BMW North America
__________________
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Mountain Edition
jkmountain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog
I have to ask a dumb question. What is an M3?
This is my M3. Worlds apart from a Rubicon. Both are purpose built vehicles albeit for different purposes.
__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
Like:
4WD
I dont have to break my back getting in and out of the Jeep

Dislike:
Chrysler
My jeep is not near as awesome as Robert Stephens'
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pZ View Post
Dislike:
Chrysler
My jeep is not near as awesome as Robert Stephens'
Nothing photoshop and a picture of a waterfall can't fix.
chrisojk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #29
Pork Eating Crusader

WF Supporting Member
 
millfire517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grant County, Indiana
Posts: 257
My only complaint so far is the lack of being able to "COMPLETELY" shut off all the abs/ebs/bas stuff. You have to either pull fuses, cut a wire or install a switch.

Other than that I love my JK
millfire517 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
DOMINUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisojk
We came to the Wrangler party from a tiny hatchback late last year, so worlds apart.

Like: Everything! Soft top / hard top, removable doors, offroad capability

Dislike: Limited boot space is a pain, but easily removable rear seat helps

Change: Not sure, biggest gripe is that 6th gear in the manual is a serious moon-shot. Anything more than a slight incline and you have to change down, which turns off cruise control. God help you if there's a stiff headwind.
Is the auto any better?

__________________
Due to the recent price increases in ammo, don't expect any warning shots. Times are hard.
DOMINUS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC