Looking to relocate license plate and 3rd brake light to spare - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Looking to relocate license plate and 3rd brake light to spare

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the TF hinged tired carrier kit and figured while I'm at it, it would be nice to relocate my 3rd brake light and my license plate to the spare.

I've seen solutions for relocation both license plate and 3rd brake light, but I'm not seeing anything that works well for both at the same time.

It's possible my Google and forum search skills are failing me this evening.

Anyone have any suggestions to how to pull this off? I'll also add that I want to stay legal meaning my 3rd bake light needs to stay above the rear brake lights and the license plate needs to have a light over it.

thanks

__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Of course, I find something like this right after I post.

LED License Plate Light with Extension | Poison Spyder Customs

Anyone run this? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
mountainneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 445
I have a brand new Warrior Products Spare Tire License Plate Mount
Manufacturer Part No:2370. It comes with an LED plate light. I paid over $85. I will sell it for $65 plus shipping. PM me interested.
mountainneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Thanks for the info Mountain....still doing some research before I pull the trigger. Will PM you if I decide on this and if you still have it at them time, we'll work out the details.

thanks sir

EDIT: did some quick research and found this similar product
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12526_1031_07.htm

I like it as I want to go w/ something that will incorporate both license plate and 3rd brake light.

Will continue searching to see what all I can find.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the TF hinged tired carrier kit and figured while I'm at it, it would be nice to relocate my 3rd brake light and my license plate to the spare.

I've seen solutions for relocation both license plate and 3rd brake light, but I'm not seeing anything that works well for both at the same time.

It's possible my Google and forum search skills are failing me this evening.

Anyone have any suggestions to how to pull this off? I'll also add that I want to stay legal meaning my 3rd bake light needs to stay above the rear brake lights and the license plate needs to have a light over it.

thanks
the TF HD hinge and tire carrier come with a license plate relocation... save your money
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
the TF HD hinge and tire carrier come with a license plate relocation... save your money
Wha?! How many times have I watched the install video and never noticed that? Guess I need to watch for again.

All I remembered seeing was the "mod" that requires cutting the factory 3rd brake like to mount it to the new carrier.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the video again.....but I see a potential issue. The license relocation bracket has no light for the license plate. I believe these are required by law, correct?
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post
Wha?! How many times have I watched the install video and never noticed that? Guess I need to watch for again.

All I remembered seeing was the "mod" that requires cutting the factory 3rd brake like to mount it to the new carrier.

EDIT: Ok, I watched the video again.....but I see a potential issue. The license relocation bracket has no light for the license plate. I believe these are required by law, correct?
yeah... but...

1. i drilled three holes in the bottom of my brake light to get a little extra light on the plate when my foots on the brake
2. all license plates glow when hit with light these days
3. most LEOs are going to leave you alone unless you're driving like an idiot...

BLUF - i haven't had any trouble at all.
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
yeah... but...

1. i drilled three holes in the bottom of my brake light to get a little extra light on the plate when my foots on the brake
2. all license plates glow when hit with light these days
3. most LEOs are going to leave you alone unless you're driving like an idiot...

BLUF - i haven't had any trouble at all.
Good points, but in this case, I'm the type that likes to do it as correctly (legal) as possible.

I've seen aftermarket 3rd brake lights that shine white light out the bottom for the license plate. I know my jet ski trailer has something like that. I may be able to just pick up an oval 3rd brake light housing like that and use it w/ the TF mounting bracket.

This would also keep me from having to cut my factory 3rd light mount so that I can return to stock if ever needed.

I'll keep you posted as to what I come up with.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Merry Christmas all

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Beastmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Old Pubelo
Posts: 24,939
I have the one from Warrior Producrt bought from Q-tech

Beastmaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
I have the one from Warrior Producrt bought from Q-tech

That's the best I've found so far (until I realized the TF kit came w/ a bracket). I think if I can find a 3rd brake light that has a license plate light below it (inside the same housing) I can save a few buck from not having to buy a different bracket.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
I just bought this frame on amazon, less than $20 has brake and an plate light.
Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92595 Lighted License Plate Frame with Brake Light: Automotive

Just painted it black. Mounted with zip ties for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	262655  
Simonmedisch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
How/where does the 3rd brake light mount? Do you have pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonmedisch View Post
I just bought this frame on amazon, less than $20 has brake and an plate light.
Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92595 Lighted License Plate Frame with Brake Light: Automotive

Just painted it black. Mounted with zip ties for now.
That's not bad either. thanks for the info.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
That light mounts to the bracket

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_151419.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	262657

Then I ran through carrier, in bumper and tapped into driver side brake light


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_151632.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	262659
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen1 View Post
That light mounts to the bracket

Attachment 262657

Then I ran through carrier, in bumper and tapped into driver side brake light


Attachment 262659
Yeah, but where does the 3rd brake light mount? Sorry if I'm not following along correctly
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post

Yeah, but where does the 3rd brake light mount? Sorry if I'm not following along correctly

That little black box has 3 red leds for brake light and 3 white leds underneath for license plate.

That all mounts to the full bracket which is the first link I sent that includes everything


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_153539.png
Views:	215
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	262666



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_153600.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	262667



Attachment 262665
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen1 View Post
That little black box has 3 red leds for brake light and 3 white leds underneath for license plate.

That all mounts to the full bracket which is the first link I sent that includes everything
Ah, ok. I'm an idiot (nothing new there)

Didn't realize the "light box" contained both the license plate AND the brake lights. I like that compact solution.

I think I recall seeing something like that during my searching and someone (maybe) said something about the brake LEDs not being very bright? What's your impression of the light intensity on this thing?

I do like the harness as I could just mount it to the bracket that comes w/ the TF carrier.

Final question, did you wire up the license plate light using the power from the factory light?

EDIT: Another question I just though of (I'm on a roll)....how are you guys covering up the holes left behind by the factory license plate bracket?

thanks
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post

Ah, ok. I'm an idiot (nothing new there)

Didn't realize the "light box" contained both the license plate AND the brake lights. I like that compact solution.

I think I recall seeing something like that during my searching and someone (maybe) said something about the brake LEDs not being very bright? What's your impression of the light intensity on this thing?

I do like the harness as I could just mount it to the bracket that comes w/ the TF carrier.

Final question, did you wire up the license plate light using the power from the factory light?

thanks
I used the harness from the stock 3rd brake light to wire up a 4th brake light being I had this led strip left over from motorcycle mods I did...I ran the wires down the sill and added quick discos for if I ever removed hardtop


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_161101.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	262672


I tapped into the driver side rear brake light for the relocation bracket The 3 leds are bright at night...and are visible at day ..but I just figured I'd add a 4th light for S&Gs
I don't have any pics of them lit up
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen1 View Post
I tapped into the driver side rear brake light for the relocation bracket The 3 leds are bright at night...and are visible at day ..but I just figured I'd add a 4th light for S&Gs
I don't have any pics of them lit up
Just clarifying...you tapped into the driver's (or did you mean passenger) side rear brake for both the brake like AND the license plate light?
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post

Just clarifying...you tapped into the driver's (or did you mean passenger) side rear brake for both the brake like AND the license plate light?
I did drivers side plus used stock license light harness to tap into being its located there as well. I think instructions say to use harness from stock 3rd brake light to wire up everything but I already had that routed to tub and didn't want to use same harness twice
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen1 View Post

I did drivers side plus used stock license light harness to tap into being its located there as well. I think instructions say to use harness from stock 3rd brake light to wire up everything but I already had that routed to tub and didn't want to use same harness twice
Gotcha. Are you planning to plug the hole from the factory bracket? What solution did you come up with for that?
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
okcscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 147
okcscott is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcscott View Post
Yup!

Thanks!
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmanvarn View Post

Gotcha. Are you planning to plug the hole from the factory bracket? What solution did you come up with for that?
I used this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230849282376
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 640
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_175622.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	262726
bengen1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
Good to know there are options. If I were handy id live to fab up a cover and paint it so you can't tell it was ever there.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 11
The stock third brake light hook up only lights up when you step on the brake you have to run a other wire to do the plate light. I ran mine through the stock wiring loom to the passenger brake light.
Simonmedisch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Barmanvarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 5,022
I'm back.

Got the TF carrier and mount installed along with the LED plate relocation bracket.

Odd thing: the 3rd brake light works perfectly except when I'm in reverse. Did the 3rd light always work like this?

I'm fine with how its working, just curious.
__________________
-Brian
2012 Cherry Red JK
TF 2.5 Coils w/ Billstein 5100 Shocks
17x8 Black Rock D-Window Alloys
315/70/17 GY Duratracs
4:56 Gears - LSD in Rear w/ Ten Factory Chromoly Shafts
TF HD Diff Covers
Barmanvarn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
RubiChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 783
I just ordered the Warrior 2370 license plate bracket. Should I tap in to the 3rd brake light? My question is I only want it lit when I have the taillights on not when I'm pressing on the brakes. Can someone give me an insight as to which wire to use to accomplish what Im trying to do. Thanks!
RubiChick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
8052949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiChick View Post
I just ordered the Warrior 2370 license plate bracket. Should I tap in to the 3rd brake light? My question is I only want it lit when I have the taillights on not when I'm pressing on the brakes. Can someone give me an insight as to which wire to use to accomplish what Im trying to do. Thanks!
In order to get the plate light to work correctly you just need to take the exiting wire from the plate light and rerun the wire. It's easy to do just takes a little time. I think I relocated my in just over a hour.

8052949 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC