Lost electrical after washing engine - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Lost electrical after washing engine

I washed my 2011 Jeep Wangler Unlimited's engine yesterday, drove it home and drove it this morning. Had oil changed and drove home where I preceded to wax it. Had the radio playing after a while the radio died. Went to check and the gages were on but the radio lights were off. Tried to turn the car on but wouldn't even turn. Eventually lost all power including the gages. I removed the battery and started drying the area around the bottom of the battery compartment. When I hooked up the battery, got some power...but not enough to bring up the windows. The fuse box was making clicking noises so I disconnected the battery and decided to let it dry some more. Frustrated and should have known better....but here I am. Does anyone have some thoughts (constructive please) or can give me some guidance??? Thank you in advance...

Jagodes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
JKWrangler2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 590
Charge the battery or get a new battery

JKWrangler2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
+1 on the battery.Sounds like its history.
Gundad68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,430
Sounds like the battery needs a good charge. Before spending money on a new battery, hook it up to a charger for several hours and let it cycle completely through the charging process.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Call it a CAR again!

WF Supporting Member
 
fljeepleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,391
Unless you took a power washer to your engine it is gonna just be your battery.
__________________
2013 Rubicon

My Build Thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fl...ad-198782.html
fljeepleo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Jared66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 519
Charge it. Batteries need to be maintained. There are caps on top ( unless it's a maintainence free battery, of which they are then throw away). Pop the caps off. Inside you put Demineralized water. ( not tap water or purified water, but demineralized). You can get this in like a milk jug at a grocery store like Safeway ect. Fill the cavities right up. Pop the caps back on. And charge and away you go. ( wash your hands after, it is a batterie after all).
Jared66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
heinzbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Images: 14
jagodes
get a volt meter and measure the voltage across battery + and -

if you get 12v the battery should be ok. Just give it a charge.

any less voltage and a cell has gone down. ie .10v
heinzbean is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
jyp
Jeeper
 
jyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 155
So you drove fine for a while after the wash. Then you went home and waxed it with the radio playing off the battery and it died after a while?

Sounds like you just discharged the battery. Really doesn't take long with the stock battery. it's probably not related to the engine wash although if the water shorted the battery terminals while you washed you may have lost some juice there. And if you didn't drive long afterwards, it may not have fully recharged.

When the battery is discharged it makes a clicking sound when you try to start the engine. That's normal.

Just get a boost and go for a 20 minute drive. See if that fixes it. I bet it will.
jyp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
mnhogrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 122
Use your plug-in boom box in the garage for tunes while waxing.
mnhogrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
silly question.. did you try to jump it?
ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks for the feedback; unfortunately, I did use the power washer. I found a small crack next to one of the battery terminals. I'm going to replace the battery and hope that takes care of it.
Jagodes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
On the road again...What a relief, the new battery worked. I was concerned that I may have shorten the electrical system. Thank you all for your guidance.

Jagodes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC