Low profile roof rack for JKU? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Low profile roof rack for JKU?

Hi all, I have a 2013 JKU with 35" tires and a 3" lift. I'm in the market for a roof rack, but I only have about 6" left before I hit my garage door.

Are there any roof racks that add less than 6" of height to the vehicle?

Thanks!

drfrag is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 851
I have an LJ model with a Warrior Safari roof rack but it has a deep basket to it. I have 2 friends with low pro racks though one on a 2006 LJ & the other on a 2011 JKU with a Gobi roof rack & that seems to look like a low profile roof rack

Socaltrailrider is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltrailrider View Post
I have an LJ model with a Warrior Safari roof rack but it has a deep basket to it. I have 2 friends with low pro racks though one on a 2006 LJ & the other on a 2011 JKU with a Gobi roof rack & that seems to look like a low profile roof rack
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at those!
drfrag is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 23
AEV roof rack is pretty low profile as well
1baddrop is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
EAD Offroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 810
A GOBI stealth rack will add 6.5" (top of the front light bar).
__________________

EAD Offroad

Join us on facebook for special giveaways.
EAD Offroad is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
A GOBI stealth rack will add 6.5" (top of the front light bar).
Aww that's a bummer, that's going to be too much.

The AEV rack would actually work (it says it adds less than 4") but it will require drilling into the hard top, which I'd like to avoid.

If anyone else has another recommendation, fire away!
drfrag is offline   Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrag View Post
Aww that's a bummer, that's going to be too much.

The AEV rack would actually work (it says it adds less than 4") but it will require drilling into the hard top, which I'd like to avoid.

If anyone else has another recommendation, fire away!
You need a full roof rack or just with crossbars? It would be hard to find a rack under 6" without drilling.
If you just need cross bars, gutter mount with cross bars will do.
Both Thule and Yakima has the mount feet and there are some threads about people are using the Thule ones. The Thule one is officially rated for 130lb for JKU hardtop in their catalog. It is 5" inch from the gutter, so it probably 3 or 4 inches above the roof.
mcdull is offline   Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JK Coaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
You need a full roof rack or just with crossbars? It would be hard to find a rack under 6" without drilling.
If you just need cross bars, gutter mount with cross bars will do.
Both Thule and Yakima has the mount feet and there are some threads about people are using the Thule ones. The Thule one is officially rated for 130lb for JKU hardtop in their catalog. It is 5" inch from the gutter, so it probably 3 or 4 inches above the roof.
I had the same issue and ended up with a Yakima and the same 130 lb rating. I drilled into my hardtop. No problems having had it one year. More on that here:

Any actual Freedom Top failures due to roof rack mounts?

Check these guys:Expedition Rack, 07-13 JK Wrangler, 4-Door - Roof Racks

As I remember this Garvin rack was the lowest besides Gobi. Their tech support quoted me a clearance, but I'm not sure what it was.

I would have gone with the AEV if they made a rack for my 2 door. They drill thru the hardtop but it attaches to the rollbar. Makes for removing the hardtop more difficult, but it is a very cool rack. Good luck in you search.
__________________
2012 JK Sport, auto, 3.73, Eaton E-Lockers, 3.5 inch AEV lift, Method 17x8.5 Standards, BFG AT LT31570R17s, LOD full width bumpers, SB RC-8 winch, sPod, Yakima Megabasket rack, BBL lightbar.
JK Coaster is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ridgeway, SC
Posts: 123
Rugged Ridge makes a rack but not sure of the height. Here is the link but it doesn't say how heigh it is Sherpa Roof Rack, 07-14 Jeep 4-Door Wrangler Unlimited

rum4 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC