Manual or Auto trans - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Posts: 4
Manual or Auto trans

I'm new to WranglerForum but I have driven a 97 TJ for a while but I am selling it soon. Within the next year I hope to purchase a JK or JKU but I was wondering what everyone feels is the better transmission in the JK's the manual or auto.

My TJ has the 5 speed manual in it and the only problem I have had with it is needing to replace the slave cylinder so it definately hasn't been a problem.


I'm just looking for pro's and con's of both trans in the JK's to help me decide if i want to go to an auto or stick with manual transmission

SuperYooper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
whitesport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 124
I have a 07 manual and love it. However, I am single and not in stop and go traffic a lot. I think as I get older I would switch to an automatic trans.

__________________
Love And Jeep'n!!!
whitesport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 902
The best way is to go test drive them both I have a 6 speed rubicon and it is great but there are things to consider. It is much different from the TJ and I personally think it is much easier to stall. when doing water crossings you can not use the clutch it will get muck in the clutch and reduce its life because of the large inspection hole on the bottom of the transmission. When wheeling it does take a bit more concentration to do technical things. As for on road my only slight complaint is that 1st gear is fairly useless with stock sized wheels but the flip side is it's great for off-roading. I did drive my buddy's rubi with the auto and it is very nice felt like a great setup and it definitely seems easier on the trail but honestly it's not a huge difference and much more a matter of preference. Good luck with your Jeep!
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
scuba_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 675
In before the lock...because these threads always go south pretty quickly. It becomes a debate of function vs. manliness...and then feelings start getting hurt.

Most of these threads seem to include the following points:
  • Real jeeps are manuals.
  • Jeeps shouldn't even be made with auto transmissions.
  • Manuals keep you in touch with the jeep and driving. Otherwise, you are just sitting on your couch...and you have no idea that you are even in a vehicle.
  • If you drive an auto, the terrorists have won.

I drove manual jeeps for 30 years as my DD...and motorcycles with clutches, so I get it. That said, I love my auto trans JKR paired with 4.10 gearing and the new 3.6L. It is a blast to drive on the road....and it rules in traffic. It's also easier off-road....and lets me have a remote start.

Manual pros: less expensive, that "in touch with the road" stuff, and your spouse may not be able to drive it...which I always viewed as a good thing in my TJ, YJ, etc.

My advice - test drive both. Get what you like. Stuff the rest.
scuba_steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
bimmergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 38
Good question as I am also trying to figure out which way to go on the transmission. Manuals are super hard to find in Jersey, guess we are too lazy here or something. You should definitely drive both, see if the dealer will give you one for a day or a few hours so you can drive them under different conditions (traffic, hills, etc). My main reason for wanting to buy a JKU is because I (foolishly) thought it would be easy to find one with a manual...not true. Car companies just don't make manuals anymore, even BMW drivers complain they can't get manuals. It's stupid, especially when in Germany and Europe most cars are manuals not automatics.

Anyway, I got off track...first impression of the automatic JKU was that it was Boring. I took a corner too fast, because I normally would have downshifted, and thought I was going to roll over. It was okay but I was/am looking for a more interactive driving experience. My office is only a couple of miles from my house, so its the only exercise I'll get for the day :smile: I test drove a 6-speed next and had A LOT more fun driving that. Super fun! They let me take the 6-speed JKU for a day and my girls and I had a blast. It was a perfect top-down day and the 6-speed was great. For me, having control over the engine/transmission is what I desire after driving an automatic for the last several years and driving sports cars previously. I've missed driving a manual and as my daughters approach driving age, I also want them to know how to drive a manual even if they never own one they should still know how it works in case they are in a situation and need to get behind the wheel of one. A girl's gotta be ready for anything these days.

My dilemma is that as I approach middle age, my joints are giving me trouble from too many years of abuse playing sports and running. That is the only reason I would get an automatic. I sprained my ankle last Fall and if I had a stick, I don't know how I would have gotten to work.

The Hill Holder feature on the manual can be turned off, which I would do. I didn't like it and I felt like I was going to stall. If you are experienced, you don't need this feature, and if someone is that close to your bumper and you roll into them they deserve the impression of your trailer hitch in their hood anyway.

Another great feature of a manual transmission is you can't eat, text, or do anything else while you drive! So, you'll drive right past Wendy's and McDonald's because you'll make a mess trying to eat and shift at the same time.

Good luck!
bimmergirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,766
They make auto transmission for a Jeep?



__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jeepdad12jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 17
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3910306723.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	288001
Jeepdad12jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ohioviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 1,699
I think there have been more post about people having issues with the stick than the auto. For me I drove stick for years as they never made an auto that I felt would last.I can honestly say this one is a keeper. I can take control and shift it manually when I want to or let it just do its thing while I relax and take in the scenery. Like some others Im not getting any younger and my knees are really happy with the auto.
__________________

2013 JK mine
2000 TJ son's
ohioviper is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,298
I like stick, but would not say its fun, it's a task I'd give up to sip coffee instead
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
3PedalMINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergirl View Post
Good question as I am also trying to figure out which way to go on the transmission. Manuals are super hard to find in Jersey, guess we are too lazy here or something. You should definitely drive both, see if the dealer will give you one for a day or a few hours so you can drive them under different conditions (traffic, hills, etc). My main reason for wanting to buy a JKU is because I (foolishly) thought it would be easy to find one with a manual...not true. Car companies just don't make manuals anymore, even BMW drivers complain they can't get manuals. It's stupid, especially when in Germany and Europe most cars are manuals not automatics.

Anyway, I got off track...first impression of the automatic JKU was that it was Boring. I took a corner too fast, because I normally would have downshifted, and thought I was going to roll over. It was okay but I was/am looking for a more interactive driving experience. My office is only a couple of miles from my house, so its the only exercise I'll get for the day :smile: I test drove a 6-speed next and had A LOT more fun driving that. Super fun! They let me take the 6-speed JKU for a day and my girls and I had a blast. It was a perfect top-down day and the 6-speed was great. For me, having control over the engine/transmission is what I desire after driving an automatic for the last several years and driving sports cars previously. I've missed driving a manual and as my daughters approach driving age, I also want them to know how to drive a manual even if they never own one they should still know how it works in case they are in a situation and need to get behind the wheel of one. A girl's gotta be ready for anything these days.

My dilemma is that as I approach middle age, my joints are giving me trouble from too many years of abuse playing sports and running. That is the only reason I would get an automatic. I sprained my ankle last Fall and if I had a stick, I don't know how I would have gotten to work.

The Hill Holder feature on the manual can be turned off, which I would do. I didn't like it and I felt like I was going to stall. If you are experienced, you don't need this feature, and if someone is that close to your bumper and you roll into them they deserve the impression of your trailer hitch in their hood anyway.

Another great feature of a manual transmission is you can't eat, text, or do anything else while you drive! So, you'll drive right past Wendy's and McDonald's because you'll make a mess trying to eat and shift at the same time.

Good luck!
Marry Me!

It is so frustrating that manuals are going away. Hell BMW is re evaluating even offering a manual past the 2015 model year I love manual and it makes me sick that my kids will never know the joys of driving a manual unless its an old vehicle (I'm 24 and single so who knows when I'll have kids)

Automatics have their place but there is just some times where a manual is required and can do a hell of a better job then an auto tragic. I just got back from a 2000 mile round road trip and trailered my jetskis with my moms Yukon. Going up hills in the mountains was miserable, constantly searching for the gear and always under/over revving. My brother took his jeep and decided I would drive back using his vehicle (he doesn't like towing a trailer) it was so nice being able to drop a gear going over hills and not have a computer searching for it. Even the manual shift mode on my moms Yukon didn't work because it would never hold the gear, it would take over making that mode useless.

I hear you about finding a manual jeep in jersey. The closest manual JKU I could find was 2.5 hours away in Lancaster. The dealers looked at me strangely when I told them I would have to order a jeep because I want manual. Luckily I've driven my brothers jeep to know what it's like and how it behaves. Still would have been nice to test drive a manual JKU
__________________
Save The Manuals!

2014 JKU-R Copperhead
My build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/3pe...ad-354434.html
3PedalMINI is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 527
The people bitching about manual trans issues don't understand the box. Its a freakin Jeep. Not a T56 equipped Camaro for drag racing, or a shifter that feels like a rifle bolt, or a quiet box. Its noisy. Has a solid gear feel and shifts great IMO. It has a decent reputation for reliability and working on the auto industry I would guess 75% of the broken manuals are from neglect amd abuse. I know ours are at BMW.

You want a fun box? I had a non synchro 58 bug with a split case crash box. Whine and double clutch were everyday things. The SM465 in my old Chevy was similar. Noisey but unbreakable.

Mine has some gear rattle. Its had it since new, hasn't gotten any worse, shifts great. Everyone I've talked to says it will do this indefinitely. That's fine.

I picked my manual as I wanted a stick as TO ME, its part of the experience. I also didn't want a ticking time bomb of an automatic trans. Its not IF its WHEN it fails and how spectacularly it does so. They are a lot more to replace. Both have their pros and cons. I don't mind traffic in the stick, auto is nice for traffic and climbing rocks. It takes a lot of skill to master three pedals on rocks. Stick has its advantages on downhill and holding gears. I can put it in 1st 4L and idle my jeep down a nasty wash and use the brakes when needed almost to a stop without using the clutch.

It has to be YOUR choice. They both have plusses and minuses. Ease of use, cost, reliability, etc. YOU have to pick and get whatever YOU are comfortable with and what you want since its your Jeep not ours.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Mike-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada where there's more Rockies than malls
Posts: 205
As s stated already in here,make sure you drive both.

I find the fly by wire in the 2013 results in funny behaviour with the stick. I wish I'd orderèd n auto, and after driving stick for 35 years I never thought I'd say that. I hate this particular standard..
__________________
2013 Rubicon Unlimited (aka "BugSplat")
Dune with Black Top and Fenders
Black/Brown Interior, Kicker Speaker Upgrade
6 Speed Manual, 4:10 Diff, 430N, ACE Rock Sliders
Mike- is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La La Land
Posts: 9,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
In before the lock...because these threads always go south pretty quickly. It becomes a debate of function vs. manliness...and then feelings start getting hurt.

Most of these threads seem to include the following points:
  • Real jeeps are manuals.
  • Jeeps shouldn't even be made with auto transmissions.
  • Manuals keep you in touch with the jeep and driving. Otherwise, you are just sitting on your couch...and you have no idea that you are even in a vehicle.
  • If you drive an auto, the terrorists have won.
I drove manual jeeps for 30 years as my DD...and motorcycles with clutches, so I get it. That said, I love my auto trans JKR paired with 4.10 gearing and the new 3.6L. It is a blast to drive on the road....and it rules in traffic. It's also easier off-road....and lets me have a remote start.

Manual pros: less expensive, that "in touch with the road" stuff, and your spouse may not be able to drive it...which I always viewed as a good thing in my TJ, YJ, etc.

My advice - test drive both. Get what you like. Stuff the rest.
This is the best advice anyone can offer, rep for Steve! I have the 6 speed and once I disabled the "Jill Start" it's just like any other manual I've driven. The guys I wheel with that have auto's say it's almost like cheating, the PED of the Jeep world.

Buy what you want!
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,748
Just stopping in to say hi.......... Hi
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 783
As someone who has only ever owned sticks, I really like the feel of the manual in the Jeep. It is not as "refined" as the stick that I had in my previous trucks, but I like the throws and the tactile feedback.

That being said ... If this Jeep was going to be dedicated to only offroading, I would consider an auto. Not saying I would finally buy an auto, but I have to admit that offroading with a manual has some drawbacks compared to the auto.
__________________
JKR10A - 2d, 6 speed, black / black
Ordered on 01/24/13
Acquired on 05/03/13
Aeschylus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,647
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperYooper View Post
I'm new to WranglerForum but I have driven a 97 TJ for a while but I am selling it soon. Within the next year I hope to purchase a JK or JKU but I was wondering what everyone feels is the better transmission in the JK's the manual or auto.

My TJ has the 5 speed manual in it and the only problem I have had with it is needing to replace the slave cylinder so it definately hasn't been a problem.


I'm just looking for pro's and con's of both trans in the JK's to help me decide if i want to go to an auto or stick with manual transmission
Welcome to WF.

Simply drive both and make your own decision.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,647
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
In before the lock...because these threads always go south pretty quickly. It becomes a debate of function vs. manliness...and then feelings start getting hurt.

Most of these threads seem to include the following points:
  • Real jeeps are manuals.
  • Jeeps shouldn't even be made with auto transmissions.
  • Manuals keep you in touch with the jeep and driving. Otherwise, you are just sitting on your couch...and you have no idea that you are even in a vehicle.
  • If you drive an auto, the terrorists have won.

I drove manual jeeps for 30 years as my DD...and motorcycles with clutches, so I get it. That said, I love my auto trans JKR paired with 4.10 gearing and the new 3.6L. It is a blast to drive on the road....and it rules in traffic. It's also easier off-road....and lets me have a remote start.

Manual pros: less expensive, that "in touch with the road" stuff, and your spouse may not be able to drive it...which I always viewed as a good thing in my TJ, YJ, etc.

My advice - test drive both. Get what you like. Stuff the rest.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 595
Yep drive them both. I went to the dealer knowing I wanted a manual, but they only stock auto JKU's around here! I was really surprised by the auto but with still felt the manual was for me. 8 months later I am happy I went with my gut. For my driving style, 15 miles a day, it is enjoyable to row the gears. If I had a different commute I may have picked auto.
xcoaste is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
live_slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 666
Drive both. Get what you want.

Modern ATs simply rock. They're getting damn smart too. The one in my wife's car downshifts that little bugger as soon as you tap the brakes. It's like it knows when a hill is coming up too. :P

I got an MT becuase I'm hard headed, and I enjoy it.
__________________
IIIIII

Just another Billet Silver Metallic. It blends.
2013 | JK | 23R | 2"M | 33s on 15s |
live_slow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
CodyLee1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 137
MT because I'm young and enjoy shifting. Sure it blows when you're in traffic for an hour but the times you aren't, it's awesome.
CodyLee1337 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Buddha12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mansfield Center, CT
Posts: 131
I just bought a new 2013 manual and love every minute of it. I test drove both and I have to say the feel of driving a manual makes you feel closer to driving your JEEP. I would never drive an automatic.
__________________
Chris
OlllllllO
Buddha12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,921
I bought a '13 auto and my wife bought a '13 manual. The auto feels refined and makes the vehicle feel high-class... For the first few months. Now that I'm over the honeymoon phase, I hate the auto. Its boring, doesn't shift nearly as crisp as when I bought it, and can't be as easily maintained as the manual when miles start to tick up.

Yes, the manual tranny's giant wobbling shifter makes you feel like you're driving a junker at first but once the honeymoon is over you'll be very thankful you bought it.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Middle of the Canadian Prairies
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesport View Post
I have a 07 manual and love it. However, I am single and not in stop and go traffic a lot. I think as I get older I would switch to an automatic trans.
Automatic was a deal breaker for me. I love standard transmission...and I'm older.

It's occasionally a pain in a traffic jam...or at a drive through...but not enough that I'd give it up...

It's my first 6-speed. I was a bit concerned that first day...but it hasn't been an issue at all...*knockonwood*
__________________
“Ours is a world where people don't know what they want and are willing to go through hell to get it.”
Don Marquis
FreeRange is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperYooper View Post
I was wondering what everyone feels is the better transmission in the JK's the manual or auto.
I'm glad you brought this up. It's a shame that there hasn't been any discussion about this before now.

Hint: If you do a search you'll find at least 100 threads on auto versus manual.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Posts: 50
To each his own. Everyone will have a different opinion. Here's mine. I have a 2011 JK auto. Basically I love the Jeep, but hate the transmission. Makes the vehicle feel like a Buick. Probably I'll give it to my wife and order a 6 spd. Everything - braking, cornering, twisty mountain roads, rock crawling - I prefer the stick. FWIW, I'm 68 yrs. old.
paullgj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Strokerswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,280
Drive both and decide on your own.

As for me, I generally prefer manuals, but hated the 6-speed in my '12 after owning it for less than a year. Too unrefined and glitchy for a modern trans, and it was a shame because I loved the rest of the vehicle. I much prefer the auto in my '13.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
'98 TJ SE - '99 TJ Sahara - '12 JK Arctic
'13 JK Sahara...too many other toys...

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Strokerswild is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerswild View Post
Drive both and decide on your own.

As for me, I generally prefer manuals, but hated the 6-speed in my '12 after owning it for less than a year. Too unrefined and glitchy for a modern trans, and it was a shame because I loved the rest of the vehicle. I much prefer the auto in my '13.
Unrefined yes. Unreliable no. You can have your cake and eat it too though. ...... but how much do you want to spend on a Wrangler? A reman 6spd for an M3 is $5k...... I will happily put up with its quirky operation since it seems they only break under extreme abuse.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 114
When you want to row your own gears, the slap shift auto lets you do that. When you don't, leave it in drive.

I hated autos until chrysler started putting gear holding slap shifts in them, now I won't go back.
Welding Rod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
Get your Jeep dirty!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
Rogerg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 762
Images: 6
I have both but I prefer auto.
__________________
2008 Jeep X unlimited 4" Rancho Sport lift/17x9 Black Level 8 Alloys/37-12.5-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
2006 Jeep Rubicon 5.5" Teraflex long arm+1" body lift/17x9 Procomp 7031 Alloys/37-12.5-17 Falken Wild Peak
Rogerg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
LV Naturist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Henderson NV
Posts: 414
I bought an auto because I don't have 3 feet. Lemme explain. I used to wheel a '89 'Yota pick-up 4X4 with a manual. There were a lot of obstacles where it would have been better to 2 foot the truck. IAW light pressure on the brake to hold position on the obstacle while throttling to overcome the obstacle (and the brake). I'm not sure if you could use the hill assist on a manual to achieve the same result or not. IMHO an auto just gives you more options off road and is less tiring while commuting (assuming the Jeep is also a DD).

YMMV
John

__________________
2011 JKUR
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
1997 Bayliner 1950 Capri Skinnydipper
2007 Springdale 291 RKL-GL
2007 Kawasaki Mule 600
LV Naturist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC