Mobil 1 oil filter - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
tony81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 110
Mobil 1 oil filter

I have been using mobil 1 in my 2012 JKUR and can't seem to find the mobil 1 oil filter to use with the oil. I checked the mobil 1 website and couldn't find it. Anybody have a product/part number? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

tony81 is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
They don't make one.

mtomac is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
CharlesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Carmel Mountain, CA
Posts: 384
Try the WIX oil filter; it's as good if not better.
CharlesS is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: A Space Ship, in the unknown dark Galaxy!
Posts: 1,069
Since the 3.6 uses a special cartilage, I have decided to stay with the original Mopar filter. They are only $5.70 each at your Jeep Dealer. I am not sure as to what benefit there would be in going to a different brand?
And why would you want too, since your engine is still under factory warranty.....
Miser is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,303
Does WIX make one yet?
__________________
2013 WRANGLER SPORT 2 DR., V-6 ,AUTO,HARD TOP
(Sold)1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, Bestop top
/w steel half door and slider windows
5 speed, 2.5" lift, 31" tires,rack lights
Garyk is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyk View Post
Does WIX make one yet?
Yes they do: Wix 57526
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!
Yeah, and Jeep has proven they're on top of quality assurance, especially in low-tolerance engine components.

Just like with their 2012 cylinder heads.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!
I disagree with that sentiment. Corporations like Chrysler makes a lot of decisions based on cost, rather than quality. They run the cheapest filter they can and still meet a minimum service level that includes a margin for total failure.

Some aftermarket filters are built to an even lower quality standard because it's impossible to prove that a filter caused an engine failure. And even if you could, good luck getting them to own up to it. It costs far more to sue them than you'd ever recover on your destroyed engine.

However, real world testing has shown that the quality aftermarket filters are far better at filtering beyond the factory specs. I never buy the dealer brand. I always buy the best I can find. Over 100,000 miles I might spend an extra, what, $200 on filters? That's a fraction of a penny per day.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,587
Chrysler doesn't make oil filters ...

Mopar Filters - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JKUR10A 3.6L DOHC - MDH 032515
:: 2015 KTM 500 EXC 510cc - CLEAN suspension
:: 2002 Chevrolet G3500 LWB 8.1L - motovan
:: 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L HO - resto in-process
:: 2010 Cherokee SRT8 6.1L Hemi - sold
:: 1965 Plymouth Sedan 562ci Hemi - sold
m998dna is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I disagree with that sentiment. Corporations like Chrysler makes a lot of decisions based on cost, rather than quality. They run the cheapest filter they can and still meet a minimum service level that includes a margin for total failure.

Some aftermarket filters are built to an even lower quality standard because it's impossible to prove that a filter caused an engine failure. And even if you could, good luck getting them to own up to it. It costs far more to sue them than you'd ever recover on your destroyed engine.

However, real world testing has shown that the quality aftermarket filters are far better at filtering beyond the factory specs. I never buy the dealer brand. I always buy the best I can find. Over 100,000 miles I might spend an extra, what, $200 on filters? That's a fraction of a penny per day.
Can we at least agree to disagree?
This is a subject like synthetic oil, verses convectional oil and the viscosity discussion can go on and on with no resolve!
Just think if we all agreed on a item, then there would not be any competition and everybody else with no sales would go out of business. Next, WOW, the price of what we all liked and agreed on would go sky high and boy would that ever hit us in the wallet.
I am going to stick with my Mopar filter! I wish you a lot of luck with what ever Brand that you decide on.
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Can we at least agree to disagree?
This is a subject like synthetic oil, verses convectional oil and the viscosity discussion can go on and on with no resolve!
Just think if we all agreed on a item, then there would not be any competition and everybody else with no sales would go out of business. Next, WOW, the price of what we all liked and agreed on would go sky high and boy would that ever hit us in the wallet.
I am going to stick with my Mopar filter! I wish you a lot of luck with what ever Brand that you decide on.
We can agree to disagree. I'd encourage you to do more research with an open mind but if you don't, I'm not going to get upset.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Can we at least agree to disagree?
This is a subject like synthetic oil, verses convectional oil and the viscosity discussion can go on and on with no resolve!
Just think if we all agreed on a item, then there would not be any competition and everybody else with no sales would go out of business. Next, WOW, the price of what we all liked and agreed on would go sky high and boy would that ever hit us in the wallet.
I am going to stick with my Mopar filter! I wish you a lot of luck with what ever Brand that you decide on.
Well, your name is "OldDogger", so I'm guessing you're just confusing today's Chrysler with the Chrysler of the 1960s. You know, the one that wasn't sinking underwater and looking to cut corners in every way possible.

It's an honest mistake.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,369
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser View Post
Since the 3.6 uses a special cartilage, I have decided to stay with the original Mopar filter. They are only $5.70 each at your Jeep Dealer. I am not sure as to what benefit there would be in going to a different brand?
And why would you want too, since your engine is still under factory warranty.....
Your engine warranty can't be voided because you chose not to use a Mopar filter.
Also, see my post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!
Wix makes the Mopar filter.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
tony81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 110
Thank you everyone for all your input! I may stick with the Wix filter which is what I have been using with the mobil 1.
tony81 is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
dcaprio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver Metro Area, Colorado
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post

Your engine warranty can't be voided because you chose not to use a Mopar filter.
Also, see my post below.

Wix makes the Mopar filter.
X2 the Mopar filter is a Wix filter, at least according to my dealer parts guy.
__________________
2012 JKUR - Black on Saddle Leather - Plasti-Dipped Stock Wheels, Mesh Grille Insert, Custom-Fabbed Underhood OBA Compressor Mount, Airaid MXP CAI
dcaprio is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Your engine warranty can't be voided because you chose not to use a Mopar filter.
Also, see my post below.



Wix makes the Mopar filter.
That's very interesting, that Wix makes the Mopar filter, that nobody seem to like, because its inferior and cheaper for Chrysler to use it.
I guess that Wix could make this superior high quality filter called Wix and then all of their rejects be placed in Mopar boxes. This is getting better by the minute!!!
Seriously, I wish you luck in what ever Brand that you decide to use! It's your nickel! I use to hear these same negative comments about the Fram filters down on the TJ Forum. What's interesting is that I have used Fram filters for over 40 years and never had a engine failure, or oil bleeding back and lifter noise on start up.
You are all great Fellow Jeepers and I'm sure that everybody including myself is just trying to be helpful...........
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
That's very interesting, that Wix makes the Mopar filter, that nobody seem to like, because its inferior and cheaper for Chrysler to use it.
I guess that Wix could make this superior high quality filter called Wix and then all of their rejects be placed in Mopar boxes. This is getting better by the minute!!!
Seriously, I wish you luck in what ever Brand that you decide to use! It's your nickel! I use to hear these same negative comments about the Fram filters down on the TJ Forum. What's interesting is that I have used Fram filters for over 40 years and never had a engine failure, or oil bleeding back and lifter noise on start up.
You are all great Fellow Jeepers and everybody including myself is just trying to be helpful...........
WIX gives Chrysler the rejects that didn't meet WIX standards.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
WIX gives Chrysler the rejects that didn't meet WIX standards.
Yes, I'm gullible and believe everything that you say.
I'm sure that you would never stir me wrong. Thank you for your honesty!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Lowerumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,000
I bought a lifetime of wix filters already because I got free shipping! Damn Costco effect. I run them with Amsoil. There might be something better, but I trust that combo for at least 10k. Really, if I didn't flinch a little when you said warranty, I would do 15k at least.
Lowerumble is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,369
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
That's very interesting, that Wix makes the Mopar filter, that nobody seem to like, because its inferior and cheaper for Chrysler to use it.
I guess that Wix could make this superior high quality filter called Wix and then all of their rejects be placed in Mopar boxes. This is getting better by the minute!!!
Seriously, I wish you luck in what ever Brand that you decide to use! It's your nickel! I use to hear these same negative comments about the Fram filters down on the TJ Forum. What's interesting is that I have used Fram filters for over 40 years and never had a engine failure, or oil bleeding back and lifter noise on start up.
You are all great Fellow Jeepers and I'm sure that everybody including myself is just trying to be helpful...........

In your words: "I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!"

Its like you were implying that the Mopar filter was somehow engineered better and other brands were questionable. I was merely pointing out that Wix makes the Mopar filter.

Pull out your Mopar factory air filter and you will see the word Denso printed on it. If you buy one from your dealer in Mopar packaging does that somehow make it more superior than if I bought one direct from Denso?

Everyone has their favorite brands, but to imply that the Mopar filter is better just because its Mopar seems narrow minded.

FYI, the cabin air filter is also made by Wix. Dealer price is about $20 each and it takes two. For $17 and change I bought a PAIR of Wix filters. The Wix filters even had the Mopar part number printed on them.

You are correct about one thing: it is my nickel and I don't like spending them just to have a certain name on it.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
In your words: "I am going to stay with the Mopar filter, because Jeeps engineering has designed that a certain absolute micron rating is needed for proper oil flow and filtration. It's very questionable as to what you will receive with a different brand of filter!"

Its like you were implying that the Mopar filter was somehow engineered better and other brands were questionable. I was merely pointing out that Wix makes the Mopar filter.

Pull out your Mopar factory air filter and you will see the word Denso printed on it. If you buy one from your dealer in Mopar packaging does that somehow make it more superior than if I bought one direct from Denso?

Everyone has their favorite brands, but to imply that the Mopar filter is better just because its Mopar seems narrow minded.

FYI, the cabin air filter is also made by Wix. Dealer price is about $20 each and it takes two. For $17 and change I bought a PAIR of Wix filters. The Wix filters even had the Mopar part number printed on them.

You are correct about one thing: it is my nickel and I don't like spending them just to have a certain name on it.
Yes, you are a wealth of knowledge and thank you for putting me in my place.
As for narrow minded, actually at my age it is called Alzheimer's. Most of the time, I don't know the difference between Day or Night!
I think that I am currently watching a soap opera on this screen, or is it the Disney channel, O well I'm lost..........
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 771
Protip: The company that sells the cars doesnt make all the parts that go into the cars. There are third party suppliers that make parts that sell them back to the OEM to put on their vehicle. Do you think Chrysler makes the tires or airbags or wires or paint...etc?
__________________
~ Luke
2012 JKU SportS
33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs
MB72 Wheels
R4D4R is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,369
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Yes, you are a wealth of knowledge and thank you for putting me in my place.
As for narrow minded, actually at my age it is called Alzheimer's. Most of the time, I don't know the difference between Day or Night!
I think that I am currently watching a soap opera on this screen, or is it the Disney channel, O well I'm lost..........
You are watching Nick at Night.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,935
Like I said before... Look at the 2012 cyclinder heads to see what great products Chrysler must offer, including oil filters.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: A Space Ship, in the unknown dark Galaxy!
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
Like I said before... Look at the 2012 cyclinder heads to see what great products Chrysler must offer, including oil filters.
If you feel that Chrysler does not use quality products, then why in the world would you ever own a Jeep?
Maybe you would be happier with the quality of a HUMMER 3?
I'm sure that the salvage yards could fix you up with one of the old scouts.
I bet if you look long and hard, just maybe you will find some quality that will make you smile!
Miser is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
JTE
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grosse Ile, Mi
Posts: 213
Why would they use a filter that doesn't filter if they warranty the engine for 5yr / 100,000 miles?

On the other hand, why would you use a filter that is so fine that it restricts the flow of oil?
JTE is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE View Post
Why would they use a filter that doesn't filter if they warranty the engine for 5yr / 100,000 miles?

On the other hand, why would you use a filter that is so fine that it restricts the flow of oil?
X2, some of them will never understand your statement, because they are so focused negatively against Chrysler and the vendors that make their products. But isn't it amazing that they still spend all of that hard earned money on a product/Jeep, that is built with inferior components in their opinion.
Your statement regarding warranty is right on target!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Miser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: A Space Ship, in the unknown dark Galaxy!
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE View Post
Why would they use a filter that doesn't filter if they warranty the engine for 5yr / 100,000 miles?

On the other hand, why would you use a filter that is so fine that it restricts the flow of oil?
X2
Miser is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,369
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
X2, some of them will never understand your statement, because they are so focused negatively against Chrysler and the vendors that make their products. But isn't it amazing that they still spend all of that hard earned money on a product/Jeep, that is built with inferior components in their opinion.
Your statement regarding warranty is right on target!
Who is "they"?

__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC