Mopar Rear Tow Hooks - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
Mopar Rear Tow Hooks

I really hate to waste anybody's time, but I couldn't find an answer and I'm not near my Jeep... Is it possible to install a second tow hook onto the rear of a JKUS with a stock rear and hitch receiver? I was looking at some pictures of the 10th anniversary Rubicon and realized it looks nice with two on there... If for no other reason. I know it's stupid, but I liked the symmetry. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

wcbardwell is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
BadOleRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lynchburg VA
Posts: 898
I don't believe it is. I was thinking the same thing and looked under my Jeep a couple of weeks ago and decided they would not bolt up if I had a 2nd hook identical to the one mounted under the left rear. Don't recall exactly what the issue was, just recall that it would not work. I am not sure if they make one for the right rear or not.

__________________
2013 JKU True Blue, 4" Zone Lift, 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ION 171 Black and Machined Wheels
BadOleRoss is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
I just walked out and checked... The way that the factory tow hook is mounted, if it were on the passenger side, it would be right in front of the tailpipe. There are no pre-drilled holes for installation. Looking around, Mopar has a tow hook that mounts using the receiver hitch holes, but that would center the hook and as I stated before, I have a hitch receiver. Oh well... I don't see myself going with aftermarket exhaust just to add a tow hook... Looks like she will stay a bit lopsided.
wcbardwell is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,772
Yup you can put a hook on. They make some that mount to the frame on the left side. It's a hassle to mount up because I believe the rear bumper has to come off but if you want one there it'll mount
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,772
This one mounts on left side of frame
Attached Images
 
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 10,397
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
Yup you can put a hook on. They make some that mount to the frame on the left side. It's a hassle to mount up because I believe the rear bumper has to come off but if you want one there it'll mount
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
This one mounts on left side of frame
Where did you find that hook?

I just had my rear bumper off to remove my Sahara bumper inserts. Now that I know the which bolts are the best ones to remove to drop the bumper....it would be a pretty quick job.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
truthiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
I just walked out and checked... The way that the factory tow hook is mounted, if it were on the passenger side, it would be right in front of the tailpipe. There are no pre-drilled holes for installation. Looking around, Mopar has a tow hook that mounts using the receiver hitch holes, but that would center the hook and as I stated before, I have a hitch receiver. Oh well... I don't see myself going with aftermarket exhaust just to add a tow hook... Looks like she will stay a bit lopsided.
truthiness is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
wcbardwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06
Yup you can put a hook on. They make some that mount to the frame on the left side. It's a hassle to mount up because I believe the rear bumper has to come off but if you want one there it'll mount
I already have the factory one on the left... Was checking if there is an option to put one on the right.
wcbardwell is offline   Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MIAMI FLORIDA
Posts: 10
Hello, I also have an extra tow hook and will try to see if is possible to install one on the right rear of my 2013 SPORT - JK. If any one has already tried this please advise.
Thank you,
ELBRAVO is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JL ONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
So this thread may be dead by now, but i came across it and can add some insight. On my 2013 JKU the holes do exist on the frame underneath the stock bumper on the passenger side to mount a passenger side tow hook. I bought a pair of 10A red hooks from someone on WF. The holes on the passenger side are opposite (mirror) from the driver side, that is you cannot mount a driver side tow hook to the passenger side. It has to be a passenger side specific hook. As for blocking the tail pipe, the hook does not block the tail pipe, it is however close. Hope this helps.
__________________
JL1

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne
JL ONE is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ONE View Post
So this thread may be dead by now, but i came across it and can add some insight. On my 2013 JKU the holes do exist on the frame underneath the stock bumper on the passenger side to mount a passenger side tow hook. I bought a pair of 10A red hooks from someone on WF. The holes on the passenger side are opposite (mirror) from the driver side, that is you cannot mount a driver side tow hook to the passenger side. It has to be a passenger side specific hook. As for blocking the tail pipe, the hook does not block the tail pipe, it is however close. Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing! I bought 2 red hooks to mount to the rear of my rubicon. Did you need to cut the stock rear bumber? It seems like the cover is molded partly in the way.

Thanks
Timber wolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
JL ONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
yes i needed to cut the rear bumper on the passenger side. i basically lined it up and eyeballed it. didnt have to trim much. good luck!
__________________
JL1

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" - John Wayne
JL ONE is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ONE View Post
yes i needed to cut the rear bumper on the passenger side. i basically lined it up and eyeballed it. didnt have to trim much. good luck!
Sweet! Thanks buddy!
Timber wolf is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Baby Huey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Western Washington County Oregon
Posts: 1,244
I need rear hooks also, I looked at MOPAR parts online, I think about $111.00 !! for a Pair ?
Here is a link to another post that was just a week or so ago... "BH"

Driver side rear tow hook

__________________
07-JKU-X /Poison spider Evap.Skid/Master craft grab handles/Or-Fab spare tire-can carrier/ Gibson SS Duals/ Q-tec Floor Liners/Hidden Hitch Receiver/ AntennaX 7inch/ 48" Hi-Lift./ 8"X16"X4"bs Steel smoothie wheels/ 265X75R-16 Kelly Safari TSR tarz.

Viet Nam Veteran 69-70, Troop "D" (AIR) 3/4 Cav. ,25th Inf. Div. CUCHI RVN. UH-1H Crew Chief of the "Pinball Wizard" 68-16224. Call Sign "CENTAUR".
Baby Huey is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC