My Wobble Issue and Recommended Repair - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
My Wobble Issue and Recommended Repair

I dropped my 07 JK off at the local 4x4 shop, Moab Offroad. Been having the issue, as many have, where there is a really bad wobble after hitting bumps and not going away until slowing down to about 15-20 MPH. The verdict is in, all 4 ball joints needed and recommending the control arms as well for additional adjustment of the alignment. Using Synergy ball joints, upper and lower on both sides and, I'm assuming just lower front control arms, the repair bill, including alignment, just under $1400. Does this sound normal? I am pretty handy when it comes to my own repairs and I am contemplating doing the work myself, other than the alignment. What say you? Is it a worthwhile venture to do it myself or just let them do it?

__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
Is ur jeep lifted, tires, how many miles do u have on it?

rs87277 is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Running 35's, lifted, not sure of how much as was on when I bought it, just over 26k miles.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
There are very detailed utube videos for replacing ball joints. Local auto stores rent out the ball joint kit. Control arms are cake to install. Price out the parts urself to see what they r charging for labor?
rs87277 is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,570
There is a balljoint how to on YouTube.
Cheap balljoint press from HF is really all you need besides basic tools. Honestly it did not look all that hard.
Very good vid, 2 part.

Ken
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs87277 View Post
There are very detailed utube videos for replacing ball joints. Local auto stores rent out the ball joint kit. Control arms are cake to install. Price out the parts urself to see what they r charging for labor?
Thats what I was thinking of doing. I plan on using the Synergy ball joints and looking for recommendations on the Control arms.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector
I dropped my 07 JK off at the local 4x4 shop, Moab Offroad. Been having the issue, as many have, where there is a really bad wobble after hitting bumps and not going away until slowing down to about 15-20 MPH. The verdict is in, all 4 ball joints needed and recommending the control arms as well for additional adjustment of the alignment. Using Synergy ball joints, upper and lower on both sides and, I'm assuming just lower front control arms, the repair bill, including alignment, just under $1400. Does this sound normal? I am pretty handy when it comes to my own repairs and I am contemplating doing the work myself, other than the alignment. What say you? Is it a worthwhile venture to do it myself or just let them do it?
Not a bad estimate if there quality parts to match your lift. Always cheaper to do yourself, but some folks cant. That being said, thats a fair estimate my friend. Doing it yourself, I would expect to get out of it between 400-500 bucks and a few cases of premium beverage.
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99 View Post
Not a bad estimate if there quality parts to match your lift. Always cheaper to do yourself, but some folks cant. That being said, thats a fair estimate my friend. Doing it yourself, I would expect to get out of it between 400-500 bucks and a few cases of premium beverage.
Is that an offer to assist?? LOL.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,411
Upgraded bolts wont work? Are your tires sticking out that much that ball joints bad already?
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector

Is that an offer to assist?? LOL.
If you were close by, I live for this stuff.
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Well, that figures.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,570
Im looking forward to the day I get to replace these factory craptastic ball joints.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
dwindeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 561
Did you drop it off to get the work done, or just an estimate? Check with a good alignment shop that does lifted vehicles. Maybe some cam bolts for the lowers...if more is needed you would probably do adjustable uppers. To much adjustment and your front drive shaft angle will start to cause vibration and either hard steering or directional stability issues could happen.
dwindeck is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
I am going to throw this out there, I plan on running this with my lift, and although I don't have first hand experience yet (arriving on Monday), it has some pretty impressive claims and a lot of positive reviews:

JK Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets - JK Suspension - Suspension - Shop By Category

I am assuming you have replaced all the key bolts:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...ts-128154.html

And checked your torque settings:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dia...les-78034.html

but still no relief?
__________________
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindeck View Post
Did you drop it off to get the work done, or just an estimate? Check with a good alignment shop that does lifted vehicles. Maybe some cam bolts for the lowers...if more is needed you would probably do adjustable uppers. To much adjustment and your front drive shaft angle will start to cause vibration and either hard steering or directional stability issues could happen.
Just dropped it off for an estimate. They are really the only 4x4 shop in the area, at least that I know of. I have heard it is the lower control arms that you would want to replace for the alignment adjustment. Here is what I was looking at getting.

Ball Joints: Synergy Suspension 8009-12 - Synergy Suspension Ball Joint Set for 99-12 Jeep® Wrangler JK, Wrangler Unlimited JK & Grand Cherokee WJ - Quadratec

Front Lower Control Arms: Synergy Suspension 8051 - Synergy Suspension Front Lower High Clearance Adjustable Control Arms for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
I am going to throw this out there, I plan on running this with my lift, and although I don't have first hand experience yet (arriving on Monday), it has some pretty impressive claims and a lot of positive reviews:

JK Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets - JK Suspension - Suspension - Shop By Category

I am assuming you have replaced all the key bolts:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/the...ts-128154.html

And checked your torque settings:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/dia...les-78034.html

but still no relief?
I looked at those brackets, just haven't heard any reviews or mention about them. Most threads I have read talk about just replacing the control arms and calling it a day. I took it to them, as opposed to the dealer, so they could look at everything easier than I could and know specifically what to look for.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,570
Synergy ball joints
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector View Post
I looked at those brackets, just haven't heard any reviews or mention about them. Most threads I have read talk about just replacing the control arms and calling it a day. I took it to them, as opposed to the dealer, so they could look at everything easier than I could and know specifically what to look for.
A lot of folks who are at 3.5"-4.5" are liking those brackets There is some flack coming from hard core rock crawler guys, but plenty of photos to show that the brackets will not only survive, but thrive in tough environments. I use my JK as my DD, and highway/commuting manners take priority, and the trails I hit randomly don't push my setup to the limit.

That being said, I became interested in the brackets as after my 2.5" bb in which I experienced no difference in handling/ride quality, I upgraded my stock springs to the stiffest OE available (19's) to level my stance. Afterwards I started to get some negative feedback from the front end (stock wheels/tires). Expansion joints/pot holes at speed (50 mph+) throw a brief wobble into the front end. Not DW out of control scary, but a noticeable wobble that sorts itself out in a second or two, but is unwanted. Pretty easy to predict and create, especially on the highway, and again by no means something that would cause a crash, but certainly detracts from the street manners.

Increased response at the steering wheel over stock and this "shimmy" feeling leads me to try this product. Measurements, for those still reading are: 2.5" in the front with the RC spacers + 1" more with the 19 coils= 3.5" over pre-lift height in the front. Rear only got 2" spacers, and I am visually level, and again running stock 32" tires. No noticable wander or other problems that would indicate caster short comings, just the brief negative feedback from road imperfections. I am running the upgraded poly bolt kit, and you can bet your sweet ass everything on my rig as at the proper torque spec.

As this is my first lifted vehicle, perhaps this is how it "should" drive, I don't know. I understand that half of modding your Jeep is to make it look modded while the other half is to make it drive stock. I will report back in next week when I have the brackets installed on a separate thread.
__________________
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick

A lot of folks who are at 3.5"-4.5" are liking those brackets There is some flack coming from hard core rock crawler guys, but plenty of photos to show that the brackets will not only survive, but thrive in tough environments. I use my JK as my DD, and highway/commuting manners take priority, and the trails I hit randomly don't push my setup to the limit.

That being said, I became interested in the brackets as after my 2.5" bb in which I experienced no difference in handling/ride quality, I upgraded my stock springs to the stiffest OE available (19's) to level my stance. Afterwards I started to get some negative feedback from the front end (stock wheels/tires). Expansion joints/pot holes at speed (50 mph+) throw a brief wobble into the front end. Not DW out of control scary, but a noticeable wobble that sorts itself out in a second or two, but is unwanted. Pretty easy to predict and create, especially on the highway, and again by no means something that would cause a crash, but certainly detracts from the street manners.

Increased response at the steering wheel over stock and this "shimmy" feeling leads me to try this product. Measurements, for those still reading are: 2.5" in the front with the RC spacers + 1" more with the 19 coils= 3.5" over pre-lift height in the front. Rear only got 2" spacers, and I am visually level, and again running stock 32" tires. No noticable wander or other problems that would indicate caster short comings, just the brief negative feedback from road imperfections. I am running the upgraded poly bolt kit, and you can bet your sweet ass everything on my rig as at the proper torque spec.

As this is my first lifted vehicle, perhaps this is how it "should" drive, I don't know. I understand that half of modding your Jeep is to make it look modded while the other half is to make it drive stock. I will report back in next week when I have the brackets installed on a separate thread.
I'll stealmy magnetic angle from work to check our caster.

Just bought these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3385741501.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	97943  
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I'll steel my magnetic angle from work to check our caster.

Just bought these
Congrats on the "new" LCA's. Those things are damn beefy. I am very curious what our experiment yields, it's good to have a real gauge so we can post some measurable results. My caster vs. yours, loser buys dinner off the dollar menu....
__________________
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick

Congrats on the "new" LCA's. Those things are damn beefy. I am very curious what our experiment yields, it's good to have a real gauge so we can post some measurable results. My caster vs. yours, loser buys dinner off the dollar menu....
Deal
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Smyln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
while the other half is to make it drive stock.
My 03 Rubi with a 5.5" Extreme Long Arm Kit and 35" handled BETTER than stock on Road and NEVER had death Wobble or exhibited any unappropriate manners on or off the road. Always very stable and prectible.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a professionally Engineered lift kit.

Even a properly designed lift kit needs to correctly be installed and set-up.

My old 74 CJ-5 with spring over and 3" Body Lift on 36" swampers now that was a magnet for the ditch and utility poles, Talk about keeping both hands on the wheel at all times.

Seriously, Death Wobble souldn't be tolerated. Your lift should only improve your handling not be a trade off.

My 3 cent's (one already added for inflation)

Smyln
Smyln is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
After reading many posts about this, I have decided to go ahead and replace my front trackbar as well. I am getting the JKS Front Adjustable trackbar to go along with the Synergy Ball Joints and front lower control arms. I prefer to not keep dealing with this down the road if at all possible.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
So, I just ordered my parts. Ended up ordering from EAD Offroad, thanks Alec for the message! I ordered the Synergy Balljoints, Synergy adjustable front lower control arms, Front adjustable track bar and threw the Daystar tailgate bumpstops in there as well. Was a really good price and only a few bucks more than going with the JKS track bar. Now, lets hope this takes care of my problem.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector View Post
So, I just ordered my parts. Ended up ordering from EAD Offroad, thanks Alec for the message! I ordered the Synergy Balljoints, Synergy adjustable front lower control arms, Front adjustable track bar and threw the Daystar tailgate bumpstops in there as well. Was a really good price and only a few bucks more than going with the JKS track bar. Now, lets hope this takes care of my problem.
Looking forward to the write up on the ball joint instal. Good luck bro, and btw, EAD is pretty awesome to work with- great prices and customer service
__________________
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
Looking forward to the write up on the ball joint instal. Good luck bro, and btw, EAD is pretty awesome to work with- great prices and customer service
So far so good!
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,560
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
EAD is pretty awesome to work with- great prices and customer service
Absolutely!

__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abc7 news san francisco death wobble story tvkeninsf TJ General Discussion Forum 28 02-19-2012 09:50 PM
New to Denver and to finding trails 1quick1 Colorado Jeep Forum 36 02-19-2012 07:45 PM
Just joined and looking for a few parts RyGuy WF New Member Check In 8 02-18-2012 01:38 PM
New to the Wrangler family.... and the car just stop starting 19Wrangler91 WF New Member Check In 11 02-18-2012 01:32 PM
My 2012 BFG JKU Project is coming along. New Wheels and Tires Autowerks racing JK General Discussion Forum 9 02-18-2012 10:07 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC