Need advice on purchase - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Need advice on purchase

Looking to purchase brand new Wrangler. She wants the new gecko green. For now it's going to mainly be the wife's car but in a couple years when hopefully she grows tired of it it'll become mine to lift and mod. Having fun with a 2010 Camaro currently.

We're not interested in a loaded to the hilt model. My wife prefers cloth seats and wants Sirius radio and that gecko green paint. Outside of that she doesn't care what else it comes with. Is the max tow kit worth getting? I have a 20' pontoon and some other water toys. Is the locking rear diff worth getting or are their better aftermarket options engine wise? Also how are the aftermarket exhaust options for the Wrangler? LT's, HFC's doable? Full catbacks available? Who are the major players for CAI's? Almost purchased a red 11 sport that was lifted (3"?) with oversized wheels and tires but it was too "high" and "hardcore" for the wife to use everyday. I thought the stance was about perfect and it still rode decently. It had a K&N CAI which seemed ok but it looked kinda cheap to me. Sorry for all the noob questions. Last 4x4 was a 96 3/4 ton Suburban.

SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW WA
Posts: 808
Tow package is a good idea for lower gears, stiffer suspension and LSD equipped rear axle.
Wranglers in general on not great for towing. OK for small loads but they have a very limited weight capacity. Add bigger tires and lift it gets worse.

Check the towing capacity of the Jeep against the weight of your pontoon boat AND trailer before you buy it.

List of mods and brands that support the JK series is only limited by your budget.
It's virtually endless and growing every day.

TrueNorth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,661
Tow group YES. Secret is having stuff that fits Mfg rating.
LSD: deal breaker without it forget it. IMHO.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Also how are the aftermarket exhaust options for the Wrangler? LT's, HFC's doable? Full catbacks available? Who are the major players for CAI's? Almost purchased a red 11 sport that was lifted (3"?) with oversized wheels and tires but it was too "high" and "hardcore" for the wife to use everyday. I thought the stance was about perfect and it still rode decently. It had a K&N CAI which seemed ok but it looked kinda cheap to me.
Generally, performance mods like exhausts and CAI's are worthless on a Wrangler. That's my opinion. Plenty of peeps do em, but for every person who raves about em, you'll find several who spent the $$, considered it a waste, and went back to stock.

Welcome to WF.

Please, for the sake of your neighbors, consider a Gecko with the black top and fenders.

Want to see Gecko? Wow!
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jsmithtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,152
Images: 4
A 20' pontoon might be a bit much for a JK. Here the wind is bad so the drag would be too much for a wrangler in my opinion. Even with the tow group. I have a Tundra for pulling.
jsmithtx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Generally, performance mods like exhausts and CAI's are worthless on a Wrangler. That's my opinion. Plenty of peeps do em, but for every person who raves about em, you'll find several who spent the $$, considered it a waste, and went back to stock.

Welcome to WF.

Please, for the sake of your neighbors, consider a Gecko with the black top and fenders.

Want to see Gecko? Wow!

yes. CAI is definitely a waste, anyone who claims HP gains is being claimed by the placebo effect. (you MIGHT feel gains for the first 30-40 seconds of driving until the engine warms up lol).

good luck with your purchase! gecko looks pretty ridiculous in a good way
oh and welcome to WF!
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: D/FW
Posts: 333
Bad news...

Your wife will not tire and you will be stuck w/a camaro and no fun.

Hate to be you my friend :~(>
__________________
2012 JKUR (doh)
Auto, Freedom, 410's, in Black
12JKUR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKUR
Bad news...

Your wife will not tire and you will be stuck w/a camaro and no fun.

Hate to be you my friend :~(>
LOL I love my Camaro. Getting ready to SC it.

The Missus is pretty fickle. I hope you're wrong friend, otherwise maybe I'll have to go get my own Jeep. Ha ha.

As for towing my pontoon I live on Lake Tanecomo so I'd mainly use it to yank it out of LT when it's low. My 2WD C1500 doesn't do so well when it's rear tires are in mud. Im about 5 miles away from table rock lake so maybe it might be ok for short distances? It would be nice to only have to take one car to the lake when we just take the pontoon out. If not no biggie. It should be good to tow a couple of Wave Runners, yes.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Sorry for noob double post.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: D/FW
Posts: 333
Me thinks a Camaro is gonna look funny w/the doors off, tryin to be a jeep, havin wannabe fun.
__________________
2012 JKUR (doh)
Auto, Freedom, 410's, in Black
12JKUR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
my jeep needs a lot...

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 9,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Looking to purchase brand new Wrangler. She wants the new gecko green. For now it's going to mainly be the wife's car...

We're not interested in a loaded to the hilt model.
and another kitten bites the dust! no need to go nuts they're all plenty capable. no need to get a sahara or rubi if you're unsure.
Attached Images
 
__________________

-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Become a Supporting Member of the Wrangler Forum, upgrade your account today



tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKUR
Me thinks a Camaro is gonna look funny w/the doors off, tryin to be a jeep, havin wannabe fun.
Now that's funny. I tell ya I'm new to this whole Jeep concept but I'm diggin learning about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1985682100.png
Views:	121
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	108780

I think this will compliment the Camaro nicely or vice versa.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Here the wind is bad so the drag would be too much for a wrangler in my opinion.
ScottMaganay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02

and another kitten bites the dust! no need to go nuts they're all plenty capable. no need to get a sahara or rubi if you're unsure.
What mean? Love the kitty btw.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-856812621.png
Views:	147
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	116489

Well we did it. Two Fridays ago we ordered a Gecko Green 4dr Rubicon. Wife had to have the 5AT, remote start, cloth seats, black fenders and black Freedom top.

My had to haves were Rubicon trim, Max Tow, connectivity, the 7 speaker stereo-thank u Rubicon package, and seat heaters. Couldn't care less about nav or leather.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1249603363.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	116490

We dig green.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1499637772.png
Views:	159
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	116491
The dealer has agreed to paint the grill black like for 250.00.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
First and foremost, welcome to the Wrangler family. I'm thinking you must be ok because you are buying your wife a new Rubi while you "settle" for the family hand-me-down Camaro.

Anyway, I saw your note about your dealer agreeing to paint your grill black for $250. That was very nice and considerate of them to be so agreeable with their new customer who is plopping down +\- $40K in their showroom.

Oh btw, here is a link to an entire new black grille online for $82.45. Granted, the ad from Discount Body Parts states it is for an '07 - '11, but you could give them a call and ask if it will fit your inbound '12. Swapping grills is easy and should take less than an hour.

Now, you will have about $160 left for your mod fund!

Discount Body Parts - wrangler grilles
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic
First and foremost, welcome to the Wrangler family. I'm thinking you must be ok because you are buying your wife a new Rubi while you "settle" for the family hand-me-down Camaro.

Anyway, I saw your note about your dealer agreeing to paint your grill black for $250. That was very nice and considerate of them to be so agreeable with their new customer who is plopping down +\- $40K in their showroom.

Oh btw, here is a link to an entire new black grille online for $82.45. Granted, the ad from Discount Body Parts states it is for an '07 - '11, but you could give them a call and ask if it will fit your inbound '12. Swapping grills is easy and should take less than an hour.

Now, you will have about $160 left for your mod fund!

Discount Body Parts - wrangler grilles
Well thank you for the warm welcome. Slummin it in the Camaro will be difficult but I'll manage. I'm taking one for the team.

I am good friends with the GM so I am getting the Rubi at dealer invoice. And I'm paying cash though I don't think he knows that yet. I think he was counting on me financing it.

I appreciate the link and I'll look into it however my experience with aftermarket body parts is so so. I'd prefer to keep the body OEM. OTOH having both grills might be cool. I'll call them cuz yeah Weathertech floor liners cost 169.90. In my book they are essential. Have already ordered them so nobody come and burst my bubble and tell me that there are some Chinese knockoffs that are better quality for 29.95

The pic with my Camaro is of a 2dr gecko Sport at another dealer. I wish the green was the same color of my stripes but at least I know exactly what it looks like now. I like it and the missus loves it.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK

Well thank you for the warm welcome. Slummin it in the Camaro will be difficult but I'll manage. I'm taking one for the team.

I am good friends with the GM so I am getting the Rubi at dealer invoice. And I'm paying cash though I don't think he knows that yet. I think he was counting on me financing it.

I appreciate the link and I'll look into it however my experience with aftermarket body parts is so so. I'd prefer to keep the body OEM. OTOH having both grills might be cool. I'll call them cuz yeah Weathertech floor liners cost 169.90. In my book they are essential. Have already ordered them so nobody come and burst my bubble and tell me that there are some Chinese knockoffs that are better quality for 29.95

The pic with my Camaro is of a 2dr gecko Sport at another dealer. I wish the green was the same color of my stripes but at least I know exactly what it looks like now. I like it and the missus loves it.
Also can anybody tell me if the stock OEM grill is metal or plastic? Might just go down to the dealer tonight and knock on a Jeep grill to see what it sez. And no I won't be telling my wife what I'm really doing.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Plastic.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I am good friends with the GM so I am getting the Rubi at dealer invoice.
Sixjack,

Not questioning how much the GM thinks of you as a friend, but you can pay less (one percent under invoice) and he can make more of a profit (because the dealership gets a kickback directly from Chrysler) if you hurry up and sign up for the Tread Lightly Chrysler Affiliiate Program discount.
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Driving the rigs you have, you should check the new grand cherokee srt8
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Dylanjwhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 643
2 Skis and about 200lbs of spare parts in the case and it towed it just fine for 300 miles
__________________
2012 Rubicon Silver 2" AEV spacer kit

'71 Firebird

Semper Paratus
Dylanjwhall is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Sixjack,

Not questioning how much the GM thinks of you as a friend, but you can pay less (one percent under invoice) and he can make more of a profit (because the dealership gets a kickback directly from Chrysler) if you hurry up and sign up for the Tread Lightly Chrysler Affiliiate Program discount.
Yeah, you should be able to getter a better deal than invoice. Especially if he is your friend. A hit, I just mentioned the 1% under invoice deal and they gave it to me, and I don't have any options except air and auto. The more the jeep cost, it seems the more you can get it for under invoice.
Posts On Percocet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 158
Like they said you can get under invoice easy. Also why pay cash when they have 0% financing, even if you have the money keep it in your pocket
cmg427 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Thank you. I have been wondering if invoice is in fact the best deal. Sounds like not. Am I getting raped? No. BTW, invoice for my Jeep as optioned is 35,155.00

As for financing at 0%? I get all that but I'd rather just get it over with and be done with it. I guess if I really wanted to be wise, I'd wait til I can buy one used in a couple of years but it seems 1-2 year old Jeeps are almost as much as new Jeeps.

I've allocated money towards this purchase. 0% is limited to 3 yrs so what am I looking at? An $800.00 a month payment with nothing down. I'm sticking to the plan but I am going to talk to him about 1% under. Thanks for the info.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99
Driving the rigs you have, you should check the new grand cherokee srt8
I like the SRT8 it drives pretty nice but I would never take something like that offload LOL. The Wrangler is such a different experience than the Camaro to drive. To me the SRT8 in a lot of ways would just be more of the same. It is very BOSS though.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanjwhall
2 Skis and about 200lbs of spare parts in the case and it towed it just fine for 300 miles
Good to know, thanks.
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK

I like the SRT8 it drives pretty nice but I would never take something like that offload LOL. The Wrangler is such a different experience than the Camaro to drive. To me the SRT8 in a lot of ways would just be more of the same. It is very BOSS though.
You could be the first to have the new srt8 on 40's
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99

You could be the first to have the new srt8 on 40's
That would rock!


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-482656047.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	117093

Is that the crush I see in your avatar?
SIXJAK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK

That would rock!

Is that the crush I see in your avatar?
Its the mango from 2010. Looks like a burnt orange in the shade and a bright tangerine in the day. Thanks for the praise

pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does the Wrangler perform ON-road? dav1d General Jeep Discussion 34 10-17-2013 12:21 PM
Signing on ArmyMPFromMO WF New Member Check In 10 03-29-2012 11:28 AM
Advice on Smitty soft top Once Far Off TJ General Discussion Forum 5 03-27-2012 09:03 AM
93' Jeep/Brake Caliper Issue/need expert VincentC804 Tires & Wheels 0 03-26-2012 09:52 AM
All Terrain Fender Flares for Wranglers on Sale ShopJeepParts Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 0 03-26-2012 05:45 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC