Need help, leaking oil from caliper ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Need help, leaking oil from caliper ?

Hi there, just had a question. Seems my 13 jku is leaking oil from inside the caliper or somewhere in there, would it be safe for me to drive it to dealership and what sucks I gotta wait till Monday to even call them and know what to do.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-118168964.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	272347   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4195521770.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	272349  


Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr777 View Post
Hi there, just had a question. Seems my 13 jku is leaking oil from inside the caliper or somewhere in there, would it be safe for me to drive it to dealership and what sucks I gotta wait till Monday to even call them and know what to do.
Thank you
Dang. It does look like you caliper. Id be pissed.

__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Hell yeah I'm pissed what sux also there's a jeep run in big bear this weekend coming up
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
insylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,083
Images: 3
Be careful go slow, pump your brakes. Looks like a brake fluid leak to me.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
insylem is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Scrivah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 158
I mean I am no mechanic or anything but what else would be leaking from a caliper other than brake fluid? Like I said no mechanic but I don't know of anything oil filled near the caliper that would be leaking that much fluid other than a brake fluid leak.
Scrivah is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
insylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,083
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivah View Post
I mean I am no mechanic or anything but what else would be leaking from a caliper other than break fluid? Like I said no mechanic but I don't know of anything oil filled near the caliper that would be leaking that much fluid other than a break fluid leak.
There is a small chance that it COULD be fluid from the Diff leaking through the axle and out the end cap but I serious doubt it would be on the caliper, would probably be on the rim in that case. But I'm not an auto mechanic either.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
insylem is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
insylem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,083
Images: 3
Looking at the picture again, it looks like it would be brake fluid leaking from one of the caliper pistons. Id take it to the dealership or your trusted mechanic asap.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
insylem is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Yeah I'm gonna have to take it to the dealership on Monday hopefully they'll be able to fix it before Friday
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Warranty should cover it right ? And thanks for the replies I really appreciate it
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 8,155
pull your wheel for a better look. Gear oil stinks so the sniff test will tell you if it is brake fluid or gear oil. Only takes a minute to pull the wheel for a better look at the very least.
jadmt is online now   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
pull your wheel for a better look. Gear oil stinks so the sniff test will tell you if it is brake fluid or gear oil. Only takes a minute to pull the wheel for a better look at the very least.
Just checked it and has no smell to it
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr777 View Post

Just checked it and has no smell to it
Taste it.....



Just kidding dont do that. Take something with some type of finish to it. Put some nail polish on a piece of metal or wood or something. Take said liquid and put it on. If it removes the paint/finish its brake fluid. Gear oil wont do anything.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,849
I had a rear axle seal leaking. It dripped straight down onto the brake back plate and also got all over the wheel position gear and sensor. The liquid smelled like gear oil (strong oil smell). I replaced the bearing, seal and retaining ring. No more leak. I'm thinking that looks like the caliper piston leaking. Or possibly the bleeder valve not tight?
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post

Taste it.....

Just kidding dont do that. Take something with some type of finish to it. Put some nail polish on a piece of metal or wood or something. Take said liquid and put it on. If it removes the paint/finish its brake fluid. Gear oil wont do anything.
Lmao, I'll try it out, on something not on my fish tacos lol
thanks for the reply
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
I had a rear axle seal leaking. It dripped straight down onto the brake back plate and also got all over the wheel position gear and sensor. The liquid smelled like gear oil (strong oil smell). I replaced the bearing, seal and retaining ring. No more leak. I'm thinking that looks like the caliper piston leaking. Or possibly the bleeder valve not tight?
Thats exactly what it was they just called me telling me it was the seal, thanks for the reply
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
rodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 177
mine is doing the exact same thing. same right rear caliper. noticed it yesterday because the wheel well was filthy.
rodin is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin View Post
mine is doing the exact same thing. same right rear caliper. noticed it yesterday because the wheel well was filthy.
That's one of the first things I noticed 1st was oil on floor then the inside wheel and calipers were all black and oily, but they told me at the dealership that if it was the caliper you would loose brake pressure and your oil would be low and if your brakes r fine it's the axle seal for sure
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
rodin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr777 View Post

That's one of the first things I noticed 1st was oil on floor then the inside wheel and calipers were all black and oily, but they told me at the dealership that if it was the caliper you would loose brake pressure and your oil would be low and if your brakes r fine it's the axle seal for sure
so what was it ultimately?
rodin is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodin View Post

so what was it ultimately?
The axle seal
Jr777 is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Pm inbox full

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 42,299
Mine is pretty bad. Playing around today I must of dumped 1/4 of the fluid out all over the tire/wheel
Grrrr.... Smells like a**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2073139366.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	275847  
__________________
37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler 3.5"
Coils, custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks.Parts ordered from Krawl Offroad

- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Mine is pretty bad. Playing around today I must of dumped 1/4 of the fluid out all over the tire/wheel
Grrrr.... Smells like a**
Is this a product or over filling the diffs? Im just curious as i will be installing aftermarkets and heard not to do that.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #22
Pm inbox full

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 42,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post

Is this a product or over filling the diffs? Im just curious as i will be installing aftermarkets and heard not to do that.
Bad axle seal.
__________________
37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler 3.5"
Coils, custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks.Parts ordered from Krawl Offroad

- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Jr777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Mine is all stock never took it out off road till this past weekend, service guys just told me it rare for the seal to go out

Jr777 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC