Need help - newb question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeep.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 140
Need help - newb question

Hopefully this question will help others out! Anyways, I am wanting to get a teraflex leveling kit that adds 2 inches to the front and 1 inch to the back. The bit i don't understand though is this:

"If you prefer to run the factory wheels you may need wheel spacers for proper clearance."

So, can someone tell me what they are saying. And if I have to get wheel spacers, how much would it roughly cost? Is it better to just get an actual lift instead?

Thanks in advance!!

Jeep. is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 4,142
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
Spacers are about $60 per pair. When lifting the jeep AND adding WIDER tires, your rear linkage will interfere with the tire. Pushing out the wheel with spacers will alleviate the problem, or you can get a new set of wheels with correct backspace (4.5 or less). If your gonna plan on using the stock wheel/tire setup, you should be ok.

__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Jeep.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 140
Thanks! But why would teraflex say I need them??
Jeep. is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep. View Post
Thanks! But why would teraflex say I need them??
Having just started the same process, I am no expert. But, I think they are saying there are conditions under which you might need spacers.

I just ordered their leveling kit with springs and Rancho shocks. I also intend to use my stock Rubicon tires and wheels. I think the spacer question revolves around what tire/wheel combo you use?

There is a very good thread over in the tech section pinned to the top of the page.

Good luck!
__________________
2011 Rubicon, 2DR, auto trans, stock tires and wheels, RK 2.5" Max Travel lift, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid, Rock Hard gas and transfer case skids, CA TB bolts upgraded, Teraflex HD Hinged Tire Carrier. Off Camber Fab bumpers and rock rails.

AEV Salta wheels...Now on order
FootSoldier is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Jeep.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
Having just started the same process, I am no expert. But, I think they are saying there are conditions under which you might need spacers. I just ordered their leveling kit with springs and Rancho shocks. I also intend to use my stock Rubicon tires and wheels. I think the spacer question revolves around what tire/wheel combo you use? There is a very good thread over in the tech section pinned to the top of the page. Good luck!
What tire size/wheels do you have? I'm wondering if my 2014 saharas are the same. I think mine are 255/18
Jeep. is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 862
Shouldn't need spacers if keeping your stock wheels/tires, only if going bigger.
__________________
Off-pavement ride: 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, 6 sp manual
My build: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/co...ld-742329.html

On-pavement rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2012 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jeep.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Shouldn't need spacers if keeping your stock wheels/tires, only if going bigger.
Yeah that is exactly why I asked the question. It makes sense to me that I could keep the factory wheels but what doesn't make sense is why teraflex would say I need spacers?
Jeep. is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Bonecollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep. View Post
Yeah that is exactly why I asked the question. It makes sense to me that I could keep the factory wheels but what doesn't make sense is why teraflex would say I need spacers?
I think you misunderstood what they said or how they said it. No way would you need spacers or additional offset with stock wheels and tires regardless of the lift height. If you call TeraFlex they will tell you that as well.
__________________
"Comfort is an illusion. A false security bred from familiar things and familiar ways. It narrows the mind. Weakens the body, and robs the soul of spirit and determination. Comfort is neither welcome nor tolerated here"
Lt Gen. Chesty Puller USMC
Bonecollector is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jeep.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
I think you misunderstood what they said or how they said it. No way would you need spacers or additional offset with stock wheels and tires regardless of the lift height. If you call TeraFlex they will tell you that as well.
Thanks I knew something was off. But read my original post. I have their exact words stated. See what you think.
Jeep. is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mammoth919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep. View Post
Yeah that is exactly why I asked the question. It makes sense to me that I could keep the factory wheels but what doesn't make sense is why teraflex would say I need spacers?
I believe Teraflex is saying "for clearance up to 35" tires, use of spacer (s) and or backspacing" (can't remember verbatim) But I believe they are saying to run 35" you need either A) Spacers with stockies or B) 4.5" back spacing. Or look for wheels that are 17x8.5" with 10mm offset. That is exactly the dimensions of the AEV wheels and they state it is a JK specific offset and they run 35"+ no problem.

However I did not order AEV wheels but I got a sexy cheaper alternative...
Attachment 1451929
Mammoth919 is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,532
I can't see why
I know the 2.5" lift description says this because the rear swaybar links will hit the factory wheel.
There's even a prevention for that now

Synergy Jeep JK rear swaybar drop bracket kit. Allows for the use of factory offset (back space) wheels. Swaybar relocation brackets drop the rear swaybar mount 5.0". Designed to be used with suspension lift heights from 2.0"-5.5".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HNG...&robot_redir=1
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep. View Post
What tire size/wheels do you have? I'm wondering if my 2014 saharas are the same. I think mine are 255/18
My Rubicon has 255-75R-17 BFG Mudders
__________________
2011 Rubicon, 2DR, auto trans, stock tires and wheels, RK 2.5" Max Travel lift, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid, Rock Hard gas and transfer case skids, CA TB bolts upgraded, Teraflex HD Hinged Tire Carrier. Off Camber Fab bumpers and rock rails.

AEV Salta wheels...Now on order
FootSoldier is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep. View Post
Hopefully this question will help others out! Anyways, I am wanting to get a teraflex leveling kit that adds 2 inches to the front and 1 inch to the back. The bit i don't understand though is this:

"If you prefer to run the factory wheels you may need wheel spacers for proper clearance."

So, can someone tell me what they are saying. And if I have to get wheel spacers, how much would it roughly cost? Is it better to just get an actual lift instead?

Thanks in advance!!
From the Teraflex description of the #1055000 spacers that the sticker on their box says you need. Just a slight misunderstanding. Only needed IF you want to run larger tires.

The TeraFlex JK specific wheel spacer is designed for those desiring to retain their stock wheels, but use a larger tire. The spacers are machined from aluminum and come with wheel studs pressed in. Additional lug nuts are included.

__________________
2011 Rubicon, 2DR, auto trans, stock tires and wheels, RK 2.5" Max Travel lift, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid, Rock Hard gas and transfer case skids, CA TB bolts upgraded, Teraflex HD Hinged Tire Carrier. Off Camber Fab bumpers and rock rails.

AEV Salta wheels...Now on order
FootSoldier is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC