Negotiating a deal - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
Negotiating a deal

I am very frustrated with my local Jeep salesman. I can't get him to return calls or emails and he seems unwilling to work with me. I have never bought a Jeep before but I doubt all are like this guy. I believe I'll start looking elsewhere.

On that topic- what would be the best way to approach a different dealer? Do I come right out and mention that being a Tread Lightly member gets me a 1% below invoice price? Do I slap down a KBB printout of the exact Wrangler I want with invoice pricing? Unfortunately part of my battle will be getting good value out of my trade-in. I'm also not opposed to getting my own financing elsewhere, when do I bring this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hoopster3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,520
if they arent returning your calls, they obviously do not want your business. time to look elsewhere!

Tweak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
Why aren't you at the dealership negotiating?

Why are you trying this over the phone?
watson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Why aren't you at the dealership negotiating?

Why are you trying this over the phone?
Been there already. Test drove and let them look at my trade-in. Didn't get too far with them. That was also before I stumbled upon these forums and Tread Lightly! information.
hoopster3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3

Been there already. Test drove and let them look at my trade-in. Didn't get too far with them. That was also before I stumbled upon these forums and Tread Lightly! information.
Then go back. Do you really think you're going to go farther over the phone?

Go back to the dealer and drive a hard bargain.
watson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
jdambm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. louis, Mo
Posts: 908
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to jdambm
Why dont you send Pat at Fields jeep a pm or email. I am sure he can help you. He is a sponsor on here a fellow jeeper and a straight shooter. Alot of people have great things to say about him and he knows a ton about jeeps.
jdambm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
tboy58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson
Why aren't you at the dealership negotiating?

Why are you trying this over the phone?
I always go to dealership, drive vehicle, get their numbers, then walk away! The dealer understands the emotional attachment one gets immediately with the vehicle they want. If you are not willing to walk away, you will pay more than you need to.
tboy58 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
sgtkersh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 257
Negotiating a deal

If you have it use a car buying service like USAA, Costcos, etc. They can cut through a lot of the BS. I've bought my last 4 cars through USAA's service all below invoice.

Go to edmunds.com and configure what you want and see not only invoice but true market price. IE, what sales are actually being reported.

Next, research all dealer websites to check inventory. Even look at Autotrader. Dealers will post good deals there, maybe only 1-2 vehicles to get you in the door.

Then go to the dealer armed with the info. My last Jeep the price was good but my trade wasn't. I politely let them know there was about 200 other new Jeeps in the DC area and I knew how many at each dealership. They asked me what I wanted for the trade and I got $2k more and paid $1k below invoice.

Shop at the end of the month when they are pressured to make sales. End of the quarter might even be better. I bought mine end of December and I think they were short for 2012 sales. I got my 13 JKU Sport $4k below MSRP and from I could see $1k below invoice.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, Sahara tires/rims - everything else in progress
sgtkersh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
brian d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan.
Posts: 1,233
I would steer clear of Costco. I shot them a call to get a price and not only was it 1000 more than my dealer, they didn't leave me alone for weeks. We're talking emails, phone calls, flyers in the mail even after I told them I had the new jeep sitting in the driveway. YMMV
__________________
2013 Billet Rubicon
Ace rock rails, 2.5 teraflex coil lift, AEV Geo brackets, Rancho 9000xl shocks all around, 35x12.5x15 Wrangler MTR's on Mb chaos wheels, Bushwacker flat flares, 12k winch on Rough Country hybrid bumper, Spyder rear bumper/carrier, KC long range windshield lights, rock lights and some other happy crap.
brian d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Dave S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3 View Post
I am very frustrated with my local Jeep salesman. I can't get him to return calls or emails and he seems unwilling to work with me. I have never bought a Jeep before but I doubt all are like this guy. I believe I'll start looking elsewhere.

On that topic- what would be the best way to approach a different dealer? Do I come right out and mention that being a Tread Lightly member gets me a 1% below invoice price? Do I slap down a KBB printout of the exact Wrangler I want with invoice pricing? Unfortunately part of my battle will be getting good value out of my trade-in. I'm also not opposed to getting my own financing elsewhere, when do I bring this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The way I did it was to email several dealers in my area. In the email I mentioned that I was a Tread Lightly member, had no trade-in, and had my own financing. I asked for their best out-the-door price minus tax & title. This should get you to 1% below invoice at the minimum. I had a couple of dealers that were lower than TL pricing, I then negotiated with them and ended up at ~4% under invoice. Once I had my lowest offer, I went back to the dealer near my house that I wanted to work with and started the negotiations there. If they do not want to negotiate, walk away. Some dealers count on the emotional attachment and the "gotta have it now" instant gratification that a lot of buyers have to sell vehicles. I find that working with dealers remotely eliminates the emotions and lets you approach the deal from a position of strength. Do your research, understand what your options are and go from there.
__________________
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2013 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Dave S is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
mike1158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 745
i am about to buy a jeep in the next couple weeks... we bought a Grand Chreokee for my wife about 18 months ago...we were at the dealer for some service about a months ago, i told our salesman i 'might be looking' for a wrangler in a little while, he said come see me, you're a repeat customer..i'll take care of you (i believe him, he was good to deal with before...we walked in with a good number from another dealer..he said 'that IS a good number and matched it..difference is he had we she wanted on lot)
...anyway. i know what i want..i know i'm gonna have to order it..i've run the numbers..i have the invoice pricing w/ options calculated out...and i'm going in with 3% off that and saying "this is what i want, and this is what i'm gonna pay...lets make it fast"... that way he gets his commision, which from what i understand doesn't have anything to do with price..it's done per unit...flat rate...so it better for him to make a FAST deal.
i won't waste alot of his time, he can wrap up the deal and move on to some of the other people that wander around the lot with no clue what they want or what they should pay for it...saying "ohh this is nice, i like this one"...these people are a sales managers dream, HE cares about the price.
From what i've seen if you can get 10% off MSRP you are in a good neighborhood... if you crunch the numbers its just about the same as invoice -3%...and its an easier way to do the math quickly..
mike1158 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Newb
 
sunshine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
If they take same where close to 1800 ismore than fair deal
sunshine21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Newb
 
brentstone2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
I bought a 2013 Sport a few weeks ago. I got 4k off sticker, that was the best price I could find. I walked away from about 8 jeeps at different dealers. I was a cash buyer but I had to finance over 10k to get the deal. I can pay it off after 3 payments, I guess they get a kick back from the bank for the loan. Hope this helps, good luck.
brentstone2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentstone2 View Post
I bought a 2013 Sport a few weeks ago. I got 4k off sticker, that was the best price I could find. I walked away from about 8 jeeps at different dealers. I was a cash buyer but I had to finance over 10k to get the deal. I can pay it off after 3 payments, I guess they get a kick back from the bank for the loan. Hope this helps, good luck.
$ off sticker means nothing. Paying casg is not an incentive to a dealer, in fact it's just the opposite. When you finance, they get their money right away. When you pay cash, they have to account for mountaind of paperwork.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13
I am not sure why you persist with the same dealer if they are not talking to you?
Bottom line in negotiating a car:
1. do not make the trade in offer until after you have set the price for the car you are buying.
2. always be ready to walk away
3. watch the closing paperwork like a hawk. Dealers know that they can give you a 1000 off up front and stick it in the back end... be scrupulous on that paperwork because they know that once you are signing, you will stay with it even if there were changes.
4. buy from a fair price dealership and save the hassle of negotiations.
bearfilm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
I just purchased a new vehicle using these folks https://carwoo.com/ I was able to get a better price than using USAA or Costco. What I like about this one you can do all this from your computer.
caninecop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL (Orlando)
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S
The way I did it was to email several dealers in my area. In the email I mentioned that I was a Tread Lightly member, had no trade-in, and had my own financing. I asked for their best out-the-door price minus tax & title. This should get you to 1% below invoice at the minimum. I had a couple of dealers that were lower than TL pricing, I then negotiated with them and ended up at ~4% under invoice. Once I had my lowest offer, I went back to the dealer near my house that I wanted to work with and started the negotiations there. If they do not want to negotiate, walk away. Some dealers count on the emotional attachment and the "gotta have it now" instant gratification that a lot of buyers have to sell vehicles. I find that working with dealers remotely eliminates the emotions and lets you approach the deal from a position of strength. Do your research, understand what your options are and go from there.
This is what I did as well. The key is to include all of the dealers emails in the "To" field so they know that you're playing the field. When you get a response, send it out to everyone and see who will beat it. It's kind of like a reverse auction. Make sure the prices quoted include the dealer fees so you're comparing apples to apples. This got me 5.6% under invoice.
MCortesesq is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 510
All good advice above. Also, is it a single salesperson that is not returning your calls and or e-mails? I dont know the time frame involved, buts its possible something may have happened to that sales person.

If its a dealership that you want to work with, call them and ask for a sales manager and explain the situation.

Good luck and don't let the shopping / buying experience ruin your Jeep experience!
__________________
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Copper Canyon
Yeah,I gotta change the Pic
Love the Rubicon, but already miss the TJ.
Steeljag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy58

I always go to dealership, drive vehicle, get their numbers, then walk away! The dealer understands the emotional attachment one gets immediately with the vehicle they want. If you are not willing to walk away, you will pay more than you need to.
Exactly. This is the best way.
watson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,866
Images: 13
I simply emailed several dealers in an area with the exact options that I wanted, let them know I was contacting multiple dealers, and also told them I had an affiliate discount. I explained that I understood how the discount worked, and I was looking for the their best and final OTD offer.

I had the agreed upon price of my vehicle before I ever stepped foot in the dealership.

Now, the trade-in....that is where the real work starts.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 59
I agree with a few others, go there, drive it and then walk away. They will be calling regularly. But when I bought mine, negotiated my trade first then presented my below invoice pricing deal my company offered. Walked out with little hassle that way.
__________________
2012 JKU arctic edition
2006 Yamaha R6
2002 Porsche Boxster S
jvmoney is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,866
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCortesesq View Post
This is what I did as well. The key is to include all of the dealers emails in the "To" field so they know that you're playing the field. When you get a response, send it out to everyone and see who will beat it. It's kind of like a reverse auction. Make sure the prices quoted include the dealer fees so you're comparing apples to apples. This got me 5.6% under invoice.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
musicforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 48
Here is the exact text I sent to roughly ten different dealers in the Phoenix area. I removed the details about my specific Jeep preference since they aren't important to your situation. I used the "Contact Us" type of link on each dealer's web site to send the message.

My phone started ringing about 30 minutes after contacting the first dealer. I ended up around 2.5% under invoice.

Quote:

Please route this message to the Fleet Manager.

Good Afternoon Sir / Madam,

I'm in the early stages of being in the market to purchase a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with Chrysler Affiliate pricing through my employer (Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold). I am very well informed regarding the additional holdback dealers receive when using the Chrysler Affiliate program. My preferences in color in order are white, black, or billet.

I'm looking to purchase a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited no more than 2% under invoice with minimal documentation fees with the following following options:
musicforme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
I have taken some of the advice that has been offered. I have switched to a different dealer and am getting better results already. Here is what's on the table so far for an Unlimited Sport:

Connectivity package
Convenience package
Max Tow package
side steps
anti-slip
XM radio
3 piece hard top
auto

It has every option I'm looking for and is sitting on the lot in a color choice I prefer.

MSRP: $33,030
Invoice; $31,634
My price: $31,392

Is that a decent deal? I'm heading in tomorrow to see what I can workout for a trade in...
hoopster3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,932
My wife and I didn't get a good deal with our wrangler... But we got our wrangler! that's all we cared about. I mean seriously, is a couple hundred bucks going to make or break the next 6-10 years of your life?

So anyways, I also think wranglers are hot items and dealers don't have to do deals as much with them. When I bought my Compass in late 2011 the dealer was harrassing me to buy it and throwing offers at me non stop. When I bought my wrangler 2 weeks ago the dealer pretty much said take it or leave it, because someone else will take it within a few days anyways. I believe him, because when we looked at a remaining new Liberty he started throwing great offers at us. In fact he went down to $24k on a fully loaded Liberty JET. As soon as we started looking at wranglers again it was back to no deals.

Just go in there and buy it already.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Cole Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 250
I think it depends on the area...

I have found a dealer that is willing to go 3% under invoice with a to membership.

A refferal I had to a VP of a dealership didn't get me squat. He was very nice and flat out told me he can't do 3% under so he had to pass.

Waiting on one more quote from a owner of a dealership that my buddy is friends with. If they don't come back with better than 3% I'm done shopping.

Honestly I think a lot of people pay close to sticker in so cal. For me its the chase of a good deal...love it and the way I figure it is if I save $2000 I just got a 430n/heated seats/4:10 and connectivity group for free compared to the guy that didn't do his research.
__________________
2013 JKUR DCR
Cole Trickle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #27
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,866
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3 View Post
I have taken some of the advice that has been offered. I have switched to a different dealer and am getting better results already. Here is what's on the table so far for an Unlimited Sport:

Connectivity package
Convenience package
Max Tow package
side steps
anti-slip
XM radio
3 piece hard top
auto

It has every option I'm looking for and is sitting on the lot in a color choice I prefer.

MSRP: $33,030
Invoice; $31,634
My price: $31,392

Is that a decent deal? I'm heading in tomorrow to see what I can workout for a trade in...
I guess it depends on your area...but that is barely 1% below invoice. Not horrible, but it is possible to do a lot better.

Did you ever check to see if you are an affiliate member or sign up for Tread Lightly? That will save you several hundred dollars. It is much easier to get to 3% (or more) below invoice with an affiliate discount.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
I guess it depends on your area...but that is barely 1% below invoice. Not horrible, but it is possible to do a lot better.

Did you ever check to see if you are an affiliate member or sign up for Tread Lightly? That will save you several hundred dollars. It is much easier to get to 3% (or more) below invoice with an affiliate discount.
My price quote was with the Tread Lightly! discount. What is the affiliate discount?
hoopster3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
twarner776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
Here is the exact text I sent to roughly ten different dealers in the Phoenix area. I removed the details about my specific Jeep preference since they aren't important to your situation. I used the "Contact Us" type of link on each dealer's web site to send the message.

My phone started ringing about 30 minutes after contacting the first dealer. I ended up around 2.5% under invoice.
Please route this message to the Fleet Manager.

Good Afternoon Sir / Madam,

I'm in the early stages of being in the market to purchase a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with Chrysler Affiliate pricing through my employer (Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold). I am very well informed regarding the additional holdback dealers receive when using the Chrysler Affiliate program. My preferences in color in order are white, black, or billet.

I'm looking to purchase a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited no more than 2% under invoice with minimal documentation fees with the following following options:

Telling them the amount under invoice (or any amount for that matter) your willing to pay is never a good idea. Right off the bat they know all they have to do is get around 2% under and they just sold you a Jeep. The difference between 2% and 2.5% on a base rubicon 4 dr is only $164.71. I would imagine each of the 10 dealers came back between 2-2.5 because they knew thats what you will pay.
__________________
2013 JKU Rubicon
twarner776 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,866
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3 View Post
My price quote was with the Tread Lightly! discount. What is the affiliate discount?
Same thing....

The Tread Lightly is just one of the affiliates of the program (for instance, I get the discount through my employer).

Here is the secret...
Holdback on a Wrangler is 3% of invoice. So 3% below invoice without any type of Chrysler rebate is basically dealer cost. There are other incentives from Chrysler to help, but that is the easy way to look at numbers.

With that discount, the dealer is rebated 2% of invoice minus $75 from Chrysler. The dealer is supposed to pass 1% to the customer (thus 1% below invoice) and keep 1%.

So that 1% below invoice that you are being offered is closer to 1% ABOVE invoice for the dealer.

That is why Pat advertises at 2% below invoice with Tread Lightly. He has explained before...you get 2% below invoice, he is able to keep most of the holdback, and everyone wins. He knows it is possible to do better if you haggle with other dealers, but he is trying to make an easy haggle free transaction where everyone makes out well with no games or surprises.

Remember, the Tread Lightly benefit means you cannot be charged more than 1% below invoice. There is nothing stopping you from getting a better price once you know how it works.

Not sure where you are located, but you basically already have a better standing offer from Pat@Fields at 2% below invoice without having to haggle one bit.

__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC