New here, looking at purchasing a Jeep Very Soon - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Saranrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Jersey (Glassboro)
Posts: 346
Talking New here, looking at purchasing a Jeep Very Soon

First of hopefully Many posts it will be my first car, im paying for it but my parents are guaranteeing the loan. I plan on doing some light to moderate offroading early on and possibly some heavy offroading years down the line when i can afford to finish my jeep.

I want a 6 speed Manual Wrangler Sport S in gecko green.

My requirements are the following.

3.73 ratio gears
Tow Package
Deep Tint Sunscreen (soft top)
Sirius XM radio
Power Convenience Package

Is there anything i can do aftermarket that you wished you had (IE tow packedge or sirius) or anything you think i should add. Dealer can pretty much find anything i want on the eastern seaboard.

My first few mods will be tint, wheels/rims, lift & suspension upgrade and a snorkel.

Do i have everything pretty much covered? cannot wait to get this and join the local jeep club im in south jersey BTW

Saranrap is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
steve66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: sanford, florida
Posts: 381
Sounds like your off to a good start, good luck getting your new Jeep!

__________________
-----------------
2012 Wrangler Sport (crush) sold!
2010 Carolla S
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650
1965 Oldsmobile 442
steve66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
ealive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 427
Connectivity package is very helpful, especially with a manual tranny.
__________________
2012 Black JKU Sport S | 6 Speed | 3.73 | Connectivity | Black Appearance Group
AEV Pintlers in Argent | AEV 2.5" | 315/70R17 Duratracs | Teraflex HD Carrier
ealive is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 699
good start

hi, your off to a good start, keep reading this forum, lots to learn, if u order your jeep you may wish to order the limited slip diff., and the tow
package u may wish to do your self $89.oo you will have fun..make
friends...congrats and all the best..
firehawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Saranrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Jersey (Glassboro)
Posts: 346
Thanks Guys! i totally forgot about the Limited Slip Diff. I meant to add that to the list in the op

Ive been poking around this forum for quite some time and once i get my jeep im not going to have money to drive it around because of all the mods i have todo
Saranrap is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 699
the good news

hi again, the good news if u don't use it much your gas bill will be low..the fun has started. ;-)) cost = $0. mods= ??
firehawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Osupike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 60
Sounds like a good set-up. Unless dealer warranties anything they modify on your jeep, then aftermarket mods are cheaper at your local Custom shop. IMHO
__________________

2012 JK Unlimited | ORANGE CRUSH | Teraflex 2.5" Lift | 33" Nitto Grapplers | 17" Mickey Thompson Sidebiters | AIRAID Cold Air Intake | Flowmaster 40
Osupike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
GonzoBobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,445
Def' U-connect.
Oh, and eschew the chrome
__________________
Never owned a Jeep before - 'til now!
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; Gecko green, half doors;
255/80/17 Pizza Cutters; 2.5" Teraflex BB with JKS Quicker Discos
Rigid Dually spots

GonzoBobH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
sprtplt11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 80
If you are going to really do the off-road thing, I would consider getting an automatic.
sprtplt11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
cheap4tw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 428
Must have a solid job to get an amazing first ride like a new Wrangler.

Congrats and treat it right.
cheap4tw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 26
I just bought a JKU about a month ago. Here's what I wish I had/am glad I got.

1) Connectivity package. Streaming music via bluetooth is awesome. With that said, if you are going to immediately replace the head unit then you might want to save the money and go with an aftermarket option.

2) Along those lines: If you buy an aftermarket head unit, expect Sirius to give you hell when you try to transfer your service to it. They will tell you that its not your service, it belongs to the dealership and can only be transferred to other factory head units. This is in clear violation of the terms of service posted on their website. I had to get my states Attorney General and Sirius executive customer service involved before I could make that happen on my Charger. Took 3 months and a huge amount of phone calls. Decided to just deal with the factory head unit this time around and will make the change to aftermarket after my first year ends.

3) I'm glad I didn't get the upgraded sound system. Already replaced the speakers and will be adding a much better amp than factory for less money.

4) Thought I wanted the manual transmission but very happy now that I got the automatic.
Jtoast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
GonzoBobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoast View Post
I just bought a JKU about a month ago. Here's what I wish I had/am glad I got.

3) I'm glad I didn't get the upgraded sound system. Already replaced the speakers and will be adding a much better amp than factory for less money.
IMVHO, I got the upgraded stereo in my 2012 and it cranks well enough. I understand there are audiophiles out there, but if you simply want something loud to crank with your doors off and don't want the hassle of swapping out the unit - the upgraded stock rocks

Again, it works for me.
__________________
Never owned a Jeep before - 'til now!
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; Gecko green, half doors;
255/80/17 Pizza Cutters; 2.5" Teraflex BB with JKS Quicker Discos
Rigid Dually spots

GonzoBobH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranrap View Post
First of hopefully Many posts it will be my first car, im paying for it but my parents are guaranteeing the loan. I plan on doing some light to moderate offroading early on and possibly some heavy offroading years down the line when i can afford to finish my jeep.

I want a 6 speed Manual Wrangler Sport S in gecko green.

My requirements are the following.

3.73 ratio gears
Tow Package
Deep Tint Sunscreen (soft top)
Sirius XM radio
Power Convenience Package

Is there anything i can do aftermarket that you wished you had (IE tow packedge or sirius) or anything you think i should add. Dealer can pretty much find anything i want on the eastern seaboard.

My first few mods will be tint, wheels/rims, lift & suspension upgrade and a snorkel.

Do i have everything pretty much covered? cannot wait to get this and join the local jeep club im in south jersey BTW
Another dead kitty...

OK..with that out the way....

Add LSD (limited slip)
Add Connect
Skip the tow package (cheaper to add yourself)

Not sure where you are at on the east coast, but you may want to add a hard-top, and buy a soft-top on Craigslist or something like that.
panthermark is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Saranrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Jersey (Glassboro)
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap4tw View Post
Must have a solid job to get an amazing first ride like a new Wrangler.

Congrats and treat it right.
Im very fortunate and my older brother runs a business so I work for him, ill be living at home for the next six years while i put my self through college so I can afford to have a jeep im a lucky guy.

I have a hard time justifying the U-Connect. My dad has Audi's version and my brother has BMW's version in his MINI and its totally useless. The only thing that could sway me to get it is if the E-Vic system is worth it. What kind of information does the VIC system show?

I am NOT getting an automatic, completely out of the question. Has never even crossed my mind. I was shocked when the dealership had 43 jeeps and ONE was a manual

thanks for all the info, keep it coming
Saranrap is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranrap View Post
Im very fortunate and my older brother runs a business so I work for him, ill be living at home for the next six years while i put my self through college so I can afford to have a jeep im a lucky guy.

I have a hard time justifying the U-Connect. My dad has Audi's version and my brother has BMW's version in his MINI and its totally useless. The only thing that could sway me to get it is if the E-Vic system is worth it. What kind of information does the VIC system show?

I am NOT getting an automatic, completely out of the question. Has never even crossed my mind. I was shocked when the dealership had 43 jeeps and ONE was a manual

thanks for all the info, keep it coming
It sucks that the price for Connect went up $100 dollars.
However, it is a must/dealbreaker IMO. On the base system, it is the only way to get a USB port. Also, depending on your state laws, you may need hands free cell phone use as well.
panthermark is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,351
Nothing wrong with automatic

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Dmactampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 304
First, god luck with finding what you want. I just brought mine home today and couldn't be happier. I got a JKU Sport with the 24S package. did a lot of research trying to figure out what I needed as a package and what I could do on my own. I chose the connectivity package, Max tow (has 3:73 and a hitch with factory wiring), Auto, Sirius, Limited slip, Infinity sound (I was expecting it to suck based on the comments but it's actually ok. I will be replacing the stock sub with JL soon and really just wanted the box with the integrated power outlet). It also has the Side airbags, which I didn't want but got them to reduce the price so I wasn't charged. Sticker was $32,660 and I drove out for $32,200 incl TTL in TX.
Dmactampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Braveheart12JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 970
I've owned about 7 sports cars, all manual tranny and wouldn't even own one as an auto....however the Jeep is different. The manual in a Wrangler isn't as smooth and slick as one in a car, plus auto is a bit better for a lot of off roading aspects...plus the new 5 speed auto in the Wrangler is an amazing tranny. That being said, good luck with whichever u choose!
__________________
2012 2DR Wrangler Sport, Silver/w dual top. 2.5" Teraflex coil and shock lift with 33" Goodyear Duratracs. Cat back stainless exhaust with resonator removed and Rugged Ridge split dual TP system/K&N Filter and back seat removed. 4.10 gears with Auburn HP LSD. Rampage stainless steel mesh grill insert. Third Wrangler I've owned and fifth Jeep total.
Life is Good!
Braveheart12JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Saranrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Jersey (Glassboro)
Posts: 346
I am beyond shocked that so many jeep owners are OK with automatics. Any reason why you guys are so in love with the auto tranys? do the manuals suck off road (IE burn out soon) Please keep the "its just easier" comments to your self I want to know why a automatic would be ideal for off roading?

Like i said, i do plan on doing off roading in this. I wont be a jeep poser that keeps their jeep on the road and never lets their jeep see a dirt road.

I would have thought that for off roading manual would be the ONLY option, is the new tranny really that good? I LOVE driving manual and really cant imagine getting a car without one (i come from a family of stick snobs and driving manual is in my blood, Autos are so boring to drive. I get bored driving my dads A6 since that was only available in auto )

I dont mean to come across as a dick but If its better for of roading then maybe i should go drive one and see how i like it. ( I cant believe im considering this)
Saranrap is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmactampa View Post
First, god luck with finding what you want. I just brought mine home today and couldn't be happier. I got a JKU Sport with the 24S package. did a lot of research trying to figure out what I needed as a package and what I could do on my own. I chose the connectivity package, Max tow (has 3:73 and a hitch with factory wiring), Auto, Sirius, Limited slip, Infinity sound (I was expecting it to suck based on the comments but it's actually ok. I will be replacing the stock sub with JL soon and really just wanted the box with the integrated power outlet). It also has the Side airbags, which I didn't want but got them to reduce the price so I wasn't charged. Sticker was $32,660 and I drove out for $32,200 incl TTL in TX.
Nice, that is literally EXACTLY what I'm looking for (plus the HT).
It is really hard the find that exact combination (with a hardtop) fon the lot...especially in a color other than black or silver.

2012 JKU Sport S in Dozer, White, BFG, Flame Red, or maybe even Deep Cherry:
Auto
3.73
Infinity
Connect
Airbags
LSD
Hard-top

Everything else can be added later...and probably for cheaper. But those items are "must gets" from the factory IMO.

For some reason, I want the airbags on a 4 door. I don't know why.....they don't protect the rear seat (where a child would be). But they just seem safer.
panthermark is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Dmactampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Nice, that is literally EXACTLY what I'm looking for (plus the HT).
It is really hard the find that exact combination (with a hardtop) fon the lot...especially in a color other than black or silver.

2012 JKU Sport S in Dozer, White, BFG, Flame Red, or maybe even Deep Cherry:
Auto
3.73
Infinity
Connect
Airbags
LSD
Hard-top

Everything else can be added later...and probably for cheaper. But those items are "must gets" from the factory IMO.

For some reason, I want the airbags on a 4 door. I don't know why.....they don't protect the rear seat (where a child would be). But they just seem safer.
Mine is a hardtop. I had a real hard time finding it. There was a black one in Houston and a Silver here in town. That's it from what I could tell in TX. What did notice though is the price difference. The Jeep I was supposed to pick up had a dent in the rear from someone backing into something on the lot. It had all the other options I listed but the 3:73 and Hitch were separate items on the sticker. The one I got has the Max Tow which includes the 3:73 and was $80 cheaper. Not that big of a deal but it screwed up my search because I was focused on a certain price. So, look for an MSRP of $32,660 but keep in mind the destination charge was $925 and is included in the MSRP.
Dmactampa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,456
Been a few months since I was shopping and I can't remember what you get with the "S" package. But I do remember you go from the itty bitty 16's to the 32" 17's when you go from base sport to S. If you plan on going with new wheels and tires anyway, maybe just get a base S? Also, good chance 16" tires will be cheaper if you just get a base Sport and keep the stock wheels, no?

Also - re: mods. I am Mr. Cheap. I was so close to buying a Sport with nothing - not even air. But the more research I did, you just don't get ANYTHING back for mods if you trade in or sell. So ... I just got a Rubi. I just do whatever I want with it and it handles it. No regrets. A stock rubi and a winch is probably all you will ever need - seriously. Just a thought.

I know, I just suggested a downgrade and then an upgrade in the same post. What can I say
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,113
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoBobH
Def' U-connect.
Oh, and eschew the chrome
This. If you defile that color with chrome we the gecko brigade will be forced to fly to jersey armed with plasti-dip and zombie apocalypse decals before anyone sees you.
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,113
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranrap
I am beyond shocked that so many jeep owners are OK with automatics. Any reason why you guys are so in love with the auto tranys? do the manuals suck off road (IE burn out soon) Please keep the "its just easier" comments to your self I want to know why a automatic would be ideal for off roading?

Like i said, i do plan on doing off roading in this. I wont be a jeep poser that keeps their jeep on the road and never lets their jeep see a dirt road.

I would have thought that for off roading manual would be the ONLY option, is the new tranny really that good? I LOVE driving manual and really cant imagine getting a car without one (i come from a family of stick snobs and driving manual is in my blood, Autos are so boring to drive. I get bored driving my dads A6 since that was only available in auto )

I dont mean to come across as a dick but If its better for of roading then maybe i should go drive one and see how i like it. ( I cant believe im considering this)
My recommendation is take both to a really big hill and climb/descend. The jeep will explain it better. I always preferred a manual too. Actually almost ordered bc there weren't any here either. All my previous jeeps were manual and I thought only pansies drove autos.

But after taking the auto out, I changed my mind on em pretty fast. Just give it a try. Ya might be surprised.
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,456
One other thing. Take your time. Enjoy this part. The anticipation is really a lot of fun, doing all the research, looking at different colors and potential mods, etc. Not as fun as owning the Jeep, obviously, but still worth savoring a bit. Pull the trigger once you are sure what you want, the price is right, and you absolutely can't wait any longer
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: N Indianapolis
Posts: 323
Don't be swayed. The new 5-speed is world's better than the old 4 Auto, but it's still a woman's Jeep. The tap shift feature is worthless.

I'd never driven offroad prior to taking my 08 manual to the local park, and learned to handle the rocks, mud pits and sand in it before any mods. Automatics are "easier", but that doesn't make them better. The manual takes more effort than in a BMW or Honda, but it's super easy to keep near the torque peak and skip-shifting will provide great gas mileage. How great? I'm lightly modded with a 2" lift and mud tires, but get between 19-21mpg in mixed freeway/city driving.

Otherwise, u got a good option list there, keeping it basic. I personally wouldn't worry about the power package on a 2-door soft top. Easy to control both windows from driver seat and thieves go through the soft windows, they don't worry about locked doors.
JSichthus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
2012-Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSichthus
it's still a woman's Jeep.
What kind of horse crap is that?
2012-Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: N Indianapolis
Posts: 323
It's what my wife drives.

She hated the 4-speed enough that she considered a manual in her '13, but baby in the backseat convinced her the 5-speed improvements were enough to stick with an auto.
JSichthus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
2012-Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSichthus
It's what my wife drives.

She hated the 4-speed enough that she considered a manual in her '13, but baby in the backseat convinced her the 5-speed improvements were enough to stick with an auto.
So that makes automatics a womans jeep? Confused a bit.
2012-Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,575
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSichthus View Post
Don't be swayed. The new 5-speed is world's better than the old 4 Auto, but it's still a woman's Jeep. The tap shift feature is worthless.

panthermark is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC