New owner Dynomat or no? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
n8s
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5
New owner Dynomat or no?

Hey all,
I have had my Jeep for a few months now, but just discovered the board. One question I had is how effective Dynamatting is for anything on the Jeep. I just so happen to have some from my BMW and thought maybe I'd get some use out of it. So....

1. Is it effective?
2. If so, where is the optimal placement? Can I use it on the hardtop?


Thanks!

n8s is offline   Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
silvrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 916
If you have already used it,,, you should now what to expect.

The roof? Really?

silvrevo is offline   Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
I dynomatted, and installed a headliner on the hardtop on my '02 TJ. Worked great for making things quieter, and helped keep the cold out during the winter months. One major down side was the extreme amount of weight it added. Can't say it was worth the hassel because of the weight issue. Took a difficult 1 person job, and made it a guaranteed 2 person job to remove it.
scout75 is offline   Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
n8s
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
I dynomatted, and installed a headliner on the hardtop on my '02 TJ. Worked great for making things quieter, and helped keep the cold out during the winter months. One major down side was the extreme amount of weight it added. Can't say it was worth the hassel because of the weight issue. Took a difficult 1 person job, and made it a guaranteed 2 person job to remove it.
That's something I didn't think about. I figured it might help quiet it down, but if it adds enough weight for me to need help taking it off, I can't see doing it.
n8s is offline   Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
n8s
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
If you have already used it,,, you should now what to expect.
I've used it on a luxury car that only had a few places that made noise; mostly wheel well areas. The Wrangler seems to leak noise everywhere, so I wondered if there were specific places I could put it to dampen the maximum amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo View Post
The roof? Really?
Yes. Really.
The top appears to be one of the noise epicenters.
n8s is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
scottrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s View Post
I've used it on a luxury car that only had a few places that made noise; mostly wheel well areas. The Wrangler seems to leak noise everywhere, so I wondered if there were specific places I could put it to dampen the maximum amount.



Yes. Really.
The top appears to be one of the noise epicenters.
I've yet to be in a Jeep that wasn't noisy. Road noise, tire hum, suspension creaks, shackle rattle, tire swing vibration, top flapping.

IMO, it's a Jeep thing. Understand?

Have you considered a spray in bedliner under the carpet?
scottrock is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
n8s
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I've yet to be in a Jeep that wasn't noisy. Road noise, tire hum, suspension creaks, shackle rattle, tire swing vibration, top flapping.

IMO, it's a Jeep thing. Understand?
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just figured since I already have the stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Have you considered a spray in bedliner under the carpet?
I've heard of doing that, but I'd almost want to just not have any carpet afterward. It would be awesome to just sray it out and not even have to vacuum. Maybe I should sell the Dynomat and use the proceeds towards a spray-in.

n8s is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Time Jeep Owner Schrund WF New Member Check In 9 01-27-2010 10:56 AM
New Jeep Owner Moojamboo YJ General Discussion Forum 5 05-21-2009 02:06 PM
O1 Wrangler TJ owner by accident randy69 WF New Member Check In 7 05-02-2009 02:18 PM
New YJ Owner jdixter YJ General Discussion Forum 6 01-19-2008 09:37 PM
Jeep Owner Again catchone WF New Member Check In 4 11-28-2007 09:11 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC