New Rubi, 4000 mile road trip report: - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
New Rubi, 4000 mile road trip report:

Got my Rubi in May. 2011, 2-door, soft top, half door, 6-sp, black, Nav. Got back yesterday from two week solo trip from SW OH to Wilson Wy. Just over 4000 miles total. Have done same trip in my TJ and JK is MUCH more comfortable on the highway. Less wind noise top up and less wind buffeting top down. Tracks much better too. Recorded all gas put in on trip and got 18.13 mpg for entire trip. That's better than my TJ as well. Most of highway miles, through Nebraska and Wyoming where limit is 75, had cruise on 80 mph. Speedo is dead accurate by GPS speed. Top down did seem to cost 1-2 mpg as did half doors off only. MPG computer was dead on for calculated mileage, reset each tank. Top down @ 80 mph results in 15 mpg. Power adequate but cruise could not hold speed on many uphill treks through mountains and had to downshift. PITA that shifting disengages cruise! A/C keeps it cool even though temps hit 105 on way back. Burned no oil at all through trip (Mobil 1 5W20). Didn't get offroad too much as coupla my favored trails around Teton NP still closed and gated off as snow drifts still to high. Rig gave no problems whatsoever! Love it! Small rock chip on windshield only damage even though it's black. Nothing beats top down cruising Yellowstone and Teton NP in a Jeep!

JoeR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
...Got back yesterday from two week solo trip from SW OH to Wilson Wy. Just over 4000 miles total...
Thanks for the good report. Your actual experience with ride comfort and noise is very encouraging! Wish more people would give real evaluations like this!

__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Newb
 
Nimrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 10
Good report, sounds like you had a blast!
I am very jealous since I haven't had a chance to break in my new Rubi yet.
I also enjoyed reading a "real" report and will be happy to het the 18.3 mpg.
Nimrod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,908
great report!!! Thanks for the data. Now....go take TWO more trips PRN !!!!
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Trunz150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 359
Great report...i couldnt agree more with all that you said!!!!
Trunz150 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
Couple more things. KM's are pretty sweet highway tire. I'm impressed. Windy two lane roads in Wyoming, hood did flap several times alarmingly when passed by oncoming semis, may need to get some hoodwranglers. JK half doors do NOT flap in wind at speed like the TJ's did. Soft top bone dry through high speed windy rain. One hour hail storm with half inch hail, no damage whatsoever so hood steel thickness fine! Had to remove rear seat to stow gear and 5 top pieces for trip. Did not have to do this on the TJ! Headlights barely adequate for high speed plains cruising. Gonna add a bar and driving lamps. In TJ, stuck to right lane and passed by semi's out west. JK, I passed everybody!
JoeR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 15
I got a 2011 Rubi 12/31/2010. Still have not had it off the pavement!
RAINCO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Newb
 
Nimrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINCO View Post
I got a 2011 Rubi 12/31/2010. Still have not had it off the pavement!
Ohhh! The heresy!
Nimrod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
dfwislander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR
Got my Rubi in May. 2011, 2-door, soft top, half door, 6-sp, black, Nav. Got back yesterday from two week solo trip from SW OH to Wilson Wy. Just over 4000 miles total. Have done same trip in my TJ and JK is MUCH more comfortable on the highway. Less wind noise top up and less wind buffeting top down. Tracks much better too. Recorded all gas put in on trip and got 18.13 mpg for entire trip. That's better than my TJ as well. Most of highway miles, through Nebraska and Wyoming where limit is 75, had cruise on 80 mph. Speedo is dead accurate by GPS speed. Top down did seem to cost 1-2 mpg as did half doors off only. MPG computer was dead on for calculated mileage, reset each tank. Top down @ 80 mph results in 15 mpg. Power adequate but cruise could not hold speed on many uphill treks through mountains and had to downshift. PITA that shifting disengages cruise! A/C keeps it cool even though temps hit 105 on way back. Burned no oil at all through trip (Mobil 1 5W20). Didn't get offroad too much as coupla my favored trails around Teton NP still closed and gated off as snow drifts still to high. Rig gave no problems whatsoever! Love it! Small rock chip on windshield only damage even though it's black. Nothing beats top down cruising Yellowstone and Teton NP in a Jeep!
<---jealous
dfwislander is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NoVA
Posts: 263
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
PITA that shifting disengages cruise!
This is standard on any manual. I've actually not seen it the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Nothing beats top down cruising Yellowstone and Teton NP in a Jeep!
I need to put this on my list.

mpr131 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
road report 08 Sahara JeeperJake JK General Discussion Forum 6 01-25-2011 10:59 PM
Heartland Jeep club at LBL on July 11th... ;) InfernoGirl Kentucky Jeep Forum 110 08-20-2010 06:13 PM
road trip worthy events XNeoJesterX General Jeep Discussion 4 04-13-2008 10:22 PM
Nightmares of a 1000 mile or longer highway trip Joes YJ General Discussion Forum 17 05-04-2007 05:16 AM
East to West road trip 03Leo Off-Topic 4 11-03-2006 05:18 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC