Newbie here, might buy a Wrangler ?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 81
Question Newbie here, might buy a Wrangler ??

Howdy all, brand new here. Never had a Jeep before, but I'm looking to trade in my Mini Cooper for something with more 'utility.' After being bored sifting through the websites for the CR-V, Forester, etc, the Wrangler was the only vehicle I looked at that made me go "hmmm".

The 2012's are getting good reviews online because of the new engines and interior improvements, and I test drove one tonight and liked it. It was less "bumpy-noisy-windy" than I recall from years past.

I do not really do any off-roading. The 4x4 appeals to me because I live in the Northeast and it'll be useful for adverse weather, snowy winters, etc. I have no kids to put in the back, and I like that I can fold up/remove the back seat to put my dog back there.

I live in a rural area, so no city driving for me. 95% highway, country roads.

Give me some opinions, please. What can I expect using a '12 Wrangler S as my daily driver? [I would be getting one with hardtop, A/C and auto transmission, and not much else from stock. I guess the power package if it's already in there.] What sort of real-world gas mileage are you seeing? How do you like yours in the snow?

I've got about 2 days before I might "pull the trigger" on this, so I appreciate your words of wisdom having owned and driven these. Thank you...


Maltesefalcn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
cu in oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 614
I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and in August I went and bought a 2011 Sport "S" 6spd, Sport Top with some toys like the Sat radio, power group, MOPAR Tow hitch, side steps, fuel door, tail light guards, floor mats, cargo area mat (took the rear seat out day 1).

My goal was a DD that I would use for hunting in the woods off fire lanes/dirt roads in any kind of weather and tow my light boat to fishing areas. I loved the idea of beinng able to lift the front roof tops off, and have a 1/2 open top. I like the 6 spd and while I have the 3.21 gears I find I get GREAT milage vs. my previous ride a 4x4 p/u truck.

The Wrangler has great road manners, great breaks (very good in fact) rides nice, has a great road view, did I mention I can have a 1/2 open roof ...... thats the thing I LOVE. I also stand out a bit from the crowd, and feel that I can get thru just about anything should the need arise. Add to this a really nice interior, comfy seats wicked cool looks!

I bought mine for my 65th B-Day!

__________________
'11 Sahara Tan Sport "S" H/T 6spd
cu in oz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesefalcn View Post
Give me some opinions, please. What can I expect using a '12 Wrangler S as my daily driver? [I would be getting one with hardtop, A/C and auto transmission, and not much else from stock. I guess the power package if it's already in there.] What sort of real-world gas mileage are you seeing? How do you like yours in the snow?
Here's some links to the 2012 packages, options and gas mileage.

2012 Gas Mileage - let's get some real world numbers!
2012 Wrangler information thread


As for driving in the snow, Wrangler's are like any other 4wd vehicle. It's not so much the 4wd you need to rely on, but your own driving skills. Coming from a Mini Cooper, I'm going to assume that you know how to drive in snow. The Jeep will make things easier, but you still wouldn't want to be slinging it into corners or jamming on the brakes at intersections.

That said, I've been driving a Jeep Liberty (still waiting on my own '12) in Wisconsin for the last 12 years, and I definitely get around easier than non-Jeep peeps...especially if we really get buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesefalcn View Post
I've got about 2 days before I might "pull the trigger" on this, so I appreciate your words of wisdom having owned and driven these. Thank you...
Why 2 days? It's not a contest...
If I were you, I'd read as many threads on the forum as you can in that time, just to make sure a Jeep is what you really want. They're fairly unique vehicles.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Thumbs up

Also bought mine on my birthday, my 45th in August!

I wanted one for a long time, maybe my whole life. It's hard to say.
I've helped my brother with his Ford Ranger enough to know that at least at first I didn't want to spend a lot of time and money building one up to Rubicon level, so my target became a Rubicon.

My wife and I have been doing more and more exploring of interesting places over time, and as well as our old 05 Hyundai Elantra GT did at getting us to them it was time to make the move.



I've been delighted with it and so has she.
She doesn't like how much all the Jeep stuff I want is gonna cost, but if you don't know THAT song by now you will.
You will.

So my advice is to get what you really want when the time comes if you possibly can, right out of the chute.
Anything less and it may hound you or cost you more in the long run.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 26,910
Images: 4
Welcome to the Forum

You'll find lots of info here to help you with your decision.
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Northwest4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 266
You can buy a 2 door 2012 brand new RUBICON JK for right around $30,000 if you don't want foo foo like GPS, Nav, and all that gross stuff, which in my opinion is a very good price.

Take your time on what color/style you want, either way... You will love it!
Northwest4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,289
Why ya asking us fools?

BUY IT NOW
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,721
I am trying to be helpful-and not mean. I don't want to insult your intelligence, but want to be honest as well.

Jeeps are not "sports cars". Jeeps are not miserly in fuel consumption. Chrysler/Jeep has done the best they can, to make Wranglers as fuel efficient as possible and still perform "reasonably well" in the real world. When a Jeeper starts changing things (modding) you change everything that was built into it. You may never notice the difference because of how you drive it, the difference may never show.

I would GUESS that any Jeep will get about half the mpg your Mini does. I would GUESS that if you are "driving it at the limit" and drive your Mini the same way your Jeep would go half as fast.---SAFELY!!!!!!

I would Guess that you don't drag race Corvette Z06's for pink slips with your Mini.
Don't expect the Jeep (Wrangler) to drag race a Mini, or a lot of other vehicles.

Do expect People to wave at you that you have never seen before.
Do expect your friends to try and get you to take the top off.
Do expect to think about removing the doors--once you take the top off.
Do expect to start thinking about sinkin' crazy amounts of money into "accessories" after you do the first mod.
Do expect to become a member of the Jeeper community who will "help out the other guy" just because that is what they do.
Do expect a feeling of "family" to build over time, and instantly be "part of the club".


DO those same people expect you to "get it muddy" and make it the most extreme "off-road" vehicle you can afford? NOPE!!


It is a Jeep family thing--build (or not) your Jeep the way you want it--and come to the Family Reunions (Trail rides, Jeep clubs, Jeep Jams, and Jeep activities) that you want to, but remember you are expected to wave!
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
123
Jeeper
 
123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: home in ga and loving it!
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post
I am trying to be helpful-and not mean. I don't want to insult your intelligence, but want to be honest as well.

Jeeps are not "sports cars". Jeeps are not miserly in fuel consumption. Chrysler/Jeep has done the best they can, to make Wranglers as fuel efficient as possible and still perform "reasonably well" in the real world. When a Jeeper starts changing things (modding) you change everything that was built into it. You may never notice the difference because of how you drive it, the difference may never show.

I would GUESS that any Jeep will get about half the mpg your Mini does. I would GUESS that if you are "driving it at the limit" and drive your Mini the same way your Jeep would go half as fast.---SAFELY!!!!!!

I would Guess that you don't drag race Corvette Z06's for pink slips with your Mini.
Don't expect the Jeep (Wrangler) to drag race a Mini, or a lot of other vehicles.

Do expect People to wave at you that you have never seen before.
Do expect your friends to try and get you to take the top off.
Do expect to think about removing the doors--once you take the top off.
Do expect to start thinking about sinkin' crazy amounts of money into "accessories" after you do the first mod.
Do expect to become a member of the Jeeper community who will "help out the other guy" just because that is what they do.
Do expect a feeling of "family" to build over time, and instantly be "part of the club".


DO those same people expect you to "get it muddy" and make it the most extreme "off-road" vehicle you can afford? NOPE!!


It is a Jeep family thing--build (or not) your Jeep the way you want it--and come to the Family Reunions (Trail rides, Jeep clubs, Jeep Jams, and Jeep activities) that you want to, but remember you are expected to wave!
that was great! made me feel warm inside and excited to b a new member of the jeep family
123 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
OwlAlley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In the country!!!!
Posts: 167
I have a Mini Cooper convertible and just traded in my 07 Commander for a 2011 Wrangler Sahara. I love my Jeep and I love my Mini....very different vehicles for different needs. My Jeep is my winter car and my Mini is my summer car....at least that was the plan. The Jeep with the soft top could actually replace the Mini and turn it into merely a now and then car!

Both are great vehicles....the two most fun vehicles on the road! Personality plus!
OwlAlley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The United States
Posts: 7
I also live in the Northeast (South Jersey), it is one of the best things for around here. In the summer, the top can go down and in the winter the four wheel drive can kick in. We have been getting killed by snow the past few winters. Yeah, the gas mileage might not be there but, it could be worse. I think it's just a really durable thing to have. I like all the Wrangler's on the site but, check out the picture thread because some of the users have some Wrangler's that really stick out and look very sharp.

Bottom line, you get the appeal of having the top down on like a Ford Mustang. But, you also get the ability to get around when we get killed by snow. It's good to have! Good luck man! If you have any questions just feel free to PM me.
__________________
My Jeep:
2011 Jeep Wrangler (Sport S) (Cosmos Blue)
RipCurl650 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JBJeeping12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 30
I have only had my wrangler for over a week which is also my DD (60 hwy miles a day). I traded in a luxury sports car for it. I do not regret it one bit!!! Never smiled so much by just opening my garage is the morning to go to work
__________________
You only live once...live for today!
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, Black 2dr
JBJeeping12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 81
Smile Thank you

I appreciate the quick responses since last night. And while I do appreciate some of the links (mpg thread), in general I find it easier to just come on here and ask directly for opinions rather than searching comments... have you ever tried to sift through 10,000 posts for just want you want? lol

It's not that I only have 2 days until I have to buy the Jeep. I guess what I meant to say is I intend on buying early next week.

My only other question is one of general reliability. What little (or not so little) technical and mechanical issues have recent Wrangler drivers come to deal with? Do we know how this 'new' engine has been in the existing vehicles (Grand C, Durango) that have used it for a few model years? I've already looked up recall and service bulletin info, so I was looking more for personal anecdotal type stuff here.

I appreciate the support that y'all give each other on here, this is why it's great to have forums like this.

Maltesefalcn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,159
JP2611 - your post was great!!!!!!!!!!

I had my first "Jeep Wave" yesterday -- it was exciting!!!!!
ladyjane is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
FOUR FLUSHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: RENO, NV
Posts: 289
I'd never considered a jeep as a "chick car" but It's always a girl who says "your wrangler is my favorite car, I really want one", guess it also works as a chick magnet
__________________
'12 JKUR/WHITE/AUTO/LOD MID FRONT & REAR LINKED BUMPER/SMITTYBUILT WINCH/LOD SLIDERS/RR 17"x9"/DURATRAC 315/70/17/BDS UPGRADED 3" LIFT/JE DS/ORH SOFT TOP/HARD TOP
FOUR FLUSHER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 125
Here is the skinny of it. If you can test drive any Wrangler and not be impressed by it,then you are not ready to own one!
redirysae is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
ryanJKunlimited2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE PA
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesefalcn View Post
I appreciate the quick responses since last night. And while I do appreciate some of the links (mpg thread), in general I find it easier to just come on here and ask directly for opinions rather than searching comments... have you ever tried to sift through 10,000 posts for just want you want? lol

It's not that I only have 2 days until I have to buy the Jeep. I guess what I meant to say is I intend on buying early next week.

My only other question is one of general reliability. What little (or not so little) technical and mechanical issues have recent Wrangler drivers come to deal with? Do we know how this 'new' engine has been in the existing vehicles (Grand C, Durango) that have used it for a few model years? I've already looked up recall and service bulletin info, so I was looking more for personal anecdotal type stuff here.

I appreciate the support that y'all give each other on here, this is why it's great to have forums like this.

I had similar concerns about the new engine. I came from a '02 Volvo C70 2 door convertible. Now have the '12 Unlimited Sahara. I test drove the '11 with the auto and found it to be woeful in the putting my foot down department. The '12 with the new engine is much better. Since it had been in the Granc C, and it appeared to be running there well, limited but enough research to get me to spend $35K, I was good with it.
__________________
Ryan

Not all that wander, are lost
ryanJKunlimited2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 81
Smile

Went and did a second, longer test-drive today. Also took the t-tops off, unlatched the seat, etcetc. I'm 99% there, just need to get over there together with Wifey to give it a look. (And don't give me any $h1t about that, cuz any $27k purchase would require "joint consent")

So I've got my finger on the trigger.
Maltesefalcn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltesefalcn View Post
I find it easier to just come on here and ask directly for opinions rather than searching comments... have you ever tried to sift through 10,000 posts for just want you want? lol
Where do you think I got the link?

Good luck with the hunt.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
cu in oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 614
Let me ramble on a bit.......I 'think' your looking for some insights....so here is mine. I roamed on line WITHOUT this site (which was my BIG error) and "Built my Own" several times. Having owned 35 vehicles in my life I know what "I" want. I wanted a JEEP for a long long time. Always loved them. Then came the restyled JK. Now my full attention got on alert. The Sport "S" got to me for my needs and Sahara Tan was IT!!!
The interior was VERY nice IMHO. I took one for a test drive and the hook was set. I love the idea of the Sport Top. Many days I just remove the panel over the driver. Its like a maxi sunroof for 1. I will likely never do any rock crawling. I will and do a LOT of fire lanes/dirt treks in woods. I also drive a mix of city & highway. The interior space is great. For me, the second seat was not needed, its on a shelf in my barn.
What do I wish I had? Hummm, well while I have no issues with the 3.8 I could have waited for the 3.6. (purchased in Aug), but can't cry over that one as the odds of getting Sahara Tan would have been close to nil and I ONLY wanted Sahara Tan.

The 3.8 is fine for my use. Fine ideed. The 6 spd is good. I did NOT want yet another auto. I wanted to shift for myself.

I have the 3.21's vs 3.73's. THOSE I wish I had. Bit better all around. BUT for a DD the 3.21's are good as you will get slightly better milage.

The Headlights S U C K !!!!!!!!! THEY SUCK!!!!! Plan on different bulbs at a minimum. The Phillips H13 are an easy swap and make the lights what they should be. The fogs are good.

Fit and finish is very good. Paint is very good. No wind noise. Did have a small water leak on passinger side door. Dealer fixed, no further issues. Heater is SUPER, havn't tried the AC. I'm curretnly getting 19.3 mpg all around.
NO OTHER REGRETS. I hope this helps......BTW I also had to sit with the wife as well. She was NOT pleased as we;re retired and my truck was paid for.......I've been married 41 years......trust me you learn! She came around and now loves it too----but won't drive it she hates the 6 spd.
__________________
'11 Sahara Tan Sport "S" H/T 6spd
cu in oz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
OwlAlley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In the country!!!!
Posts: 167
LOVE the Sahara Tan!!!!
OwlAlley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Honestly, I believe if it took a 2012 with all the comforts then a Wrangler probably isn't the vehicle for you. I think a Grand Cherokee would probably fit a whole lot better. Wranglers suppose to be slow and unstoppable, not race cars.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
IowaRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
Honestly, I believe if it took a 2012 with all the comforts then a Wrangler probably isn't the vehicle for you. I think a Grand Cherokee would probably fit a whole lot better. Wranglers suppose to be slow and unstoppable, not race cars.
I disagree, the 2012 brought in those that may have been the edge. I probably would have bought an 11 but found out about the 12 before I pulled the trigger and that sealed the deal. A little better gas mileage and more power without increase in cost. I couldn't figure out how to get the top off the Cherokee anyway
__________________
2012 Wrangler Bright Silver Sport S 6 spd
IowaRaider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Brandenburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 173
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post
Do expect People to wave at you that you have never seen before.

...

It is a Jeep family thing--build (or not) your Jeep the way you want it--and come to the Family Reunions (Trail rides, Jeep clubs, Jeep Jams, and Jeep activities) that you want to, but remember you are expected to wave!

I ride sportbikes and the biker wave is ingrained in the culture. The few who don't wave are generally considered arrogant pricks among bikers. Usually 95% of the other bikes you pass, you get a wave.

I expected the same with Jeeps after hearing of this famous Jeep wave. I dunno how many other Jeeps I've passed in the past week and a half since I drove off in my first Jeep........and not a single wave Maybe I'm just too ugly to wave at lol I think I'm a little skeptical of this Jeep wave.
Brandenburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Brandenburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 173
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRaider View Post
I disagree, the 2012 brought in those that may have been the edge. I probably would have bought an 11 but found out about the 12 before I pulled the trigger and that sealed the deal. A little better gas mileage and more power without increase in cost. I couldn't figure out how to get the top off the Cherokee anyway
I'm possibly one of those on the edge. I tried out countless 2010s and 2011s. While I loved them all, I just found them all lacking every time I tried to merge into traffic from off-ramps, etc. The extra HP of the 2012 really sealed the deal for me as well. That extra power really went a long way to convince me to make the leap.
Brandenburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,721
Thanks for compliments--but just giving my perspective.
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRaider View Post
I disagree, the 2012 brought in those that may have been the edge. I probably would have bought an 11 but found out about the 12 before I pulled the trigger and that sealed the deal. A little better gas mileage and more power without increase in cost. I couldn't figure out how to get the top off the Cherokee anyway
+1 to this, the improvements in the '12 got me off the 'edge.' Also, I can't afford a $40,000* Grand Cherokee.

(* - Yes I'm aware some of them MSRP for less, but start adding in taxes, fees, finance % and heaven-forbid options or mods, and look where the final $$ winds up.)
Maltesefalcn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu in oz
Let me ramble on a bit.......I 'think' your looking for some insights....so here is mine. I roamed on line WITHOUT this site (which was my BIG error) and "Built my Own" several times. Having owned 35 vehicles in my life I know what "I" want. I wanted a JEEP for a long long time. Always loved them. Then came the restyled JK. Now my full attention got on alert. The Sport "S" got to me for my needs and Sahara Tan was IT!!!
The interior was VERY nice IMHO. I took one for a test drive and the hook was set. I love the idea of the Sport Top. Many days I just remove the panel over the driver. Its like a maxi sunroof for 1. I will likely never do any rock crawling. I will and do a LOT of fire lanes/dirt treks in woods. I also drive a mix of city & highway. The interior space is great. For me, the second seat was not needed, its on a shelf in my barn.
What do I wish I had? Hummm, well while I have no issues with the 3.8 I could have waited for the 3.6. (purchased in Aug), but can't cry over that one as the odds of getting Sahara Tan would have been close to nil and I ONLY wanted Sahara Tan.

The 3.8 is fine for my use. Fine ideed. The 6 spd is good. I did NOT want yet another auto. I wanted to shift for myself.

I have the 3.21's vs 3.73's. THOSE I wish I had. Bit better all around. BUT for a DD the 3.21's are good as you will get slightly better milage.

The Headlights S U C K !!!!!!!!! THEY SUCK!!!!! Plan on different bulbs at a minimum. The Phillips H13 are an easy swap and make the lights what they should be. The fogs are good.

Fit and finish is very good. Paint is very good. No wind noise. Did have a small water leak on passinger side door. Dealer fixed, no further issues. Heater is SUPER, havn't tried the AC. I'm curretnly getting 19.3 mpg all around.
NO OTHER REGRETS. I hope this helps......BTW I also had to sit with the wife as well. She was NOT pleased as we;re retired and my truck was paid for.......I've been married 41 years......trust me you learn! She came around and now loves it too----but won't drive it she hates the 6 spd.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Overtrained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seaford- New York
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
I ride sportbikes and the biker wave is ingrained in the culture. The few who don't wave are generally considered arrogant pricks among bikers. Usually 95% of the other bikes you pass, you get a wave.

I expected the same with Jeeps after hearing of this famous Jeep wave. I dunno how many other Jeeps I've passed in the past week and a half since I drove off in my first Jeep........and not a single wave Maybe I'm just too ugly to wave at lol I think I'm a little skeptical of this Jeep wave.
Havent gotten the jeep wave as much as the corvette wave but it does happen
Overtrained is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 81
I did get a Jeep wave during my test drive. The salesman was like, "Get ready to wave!" but I was already ahead of him, lol.

Maltesefalcn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie from maryland (tj wrangler) 97_wrangler WF New Member Check In 6 06-23-2011 10:33 PM
Newbie with my first Wrangler Nashdaddy75 WF New Member Check In 7 10-13-2010 01:32 PM
Wrangler Forum newbie jeepie55 WF New Member Check In 5 10-01-2010 01:02 AM
Newbie... Got my first Wrangler mge_1 YJ General Discussion Forum 13 04-24-2009 11:28 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC