Nitrogen Filled Tires - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas, Colorado, Wisconsin
Posts: 2
ski.jumper is on a distinguished road
Nitrogen Filled Tires

Just bought a 2012 Rubicon and it comes with nitrogen tires. Dumb question - but - do you dump the nitrogen and refill with air? I am planning on spending most of July in the Ouray-Silverton area (and maybe Moab). And airing up or down with nitrogen seems impractical. Open to suggestions and ideas. TIA
ski.jumper is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
RioGrande95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 357
RioGrande95YJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski.jumper View Post
Just bought a 2012 Rubicon and it comes with nitrogen tires. Dumb question - but - do you dump the nitrogen and refill with air? I am planning on spending most of July in the Ouray-Silverton area (and maybe Moab). And airing up or down with nitrogen seems impractical. Open to suggestions and ideas. TIA
Most o the air we breathe is nitrogen. It is a waste to fill ten with pure N

RioGrande95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,834
jkjeeper06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrande95YJ View Post

Most o the air we breathe is nitrogen. It is a waste to fill ten with pure N
It's about 78% nitrogen to be exact. But still just reiterates the point that its completely useless to fill your tires with nitrogen.

Plus. The second you air down its gone
__________________
2000 TJ Solar yellow, 3.73, limited slip D44
2012 GMC sierra crew cab--Daily Driver
2008 jk X 6spd Red Rock---Sold and missed
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 400
Scott in Houston is on a distinguished road
Just fill like you would with normal air pumps from now on.
Nitrogen filled tires are mostly valuable for high performance tires that see time on a track. The main benefit is the lack of water vapor which is the main thing that expands or contracts with heating and cooling, so you can maintain a consistent pressure while running around a track.

On a Jeep... I don't see any real benefit to N. It's only worth it if you're racing for money and not paying for it yourself... for amateurs, not even close to worth messing with.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Lotrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 179
Lotrat is on a distinguished road
Nitrogen is a scam to take your money. You would need to pull a vacuum before filling to make any difference. Til I see that, I don't believe any of the stories.
Lotrat is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 484
Raspy is on a distinguished road
If someone was insulting enough to try to sell me nitrogen for my tires, especially on a Jeep, I think I'd tell them they just lost a customer, and leave.

Of course, it would probably be the same guy that said I was getting "ten ply" tires. Even though there is no such thing in the modern world of load range E Light Truck tires. So I'd already be on edge.

There is always someone trying to separate us from our hard earned cash. Buyer beware.
__________________
2013 Rubi 2 dr, six speed, Cherry, hardtop. Rampage recovery bumper, Zeon 10S. 19/60 springs, 255/80r17 Cooper ST Maxx.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."
Raspy is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Ponderosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 177
Ponderosa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
Just fill like you would with normal air pumps from now on.
Nitrogen filled tires are mostly valuable for high performance tires that see time on a track. The main benefit is the lack of water vapor which is the main thing that expands or contracts with heating and cooling, so you can maintain a consistent pressure while running around a track.

On a Jeep... I don't see any real benefit to N. It's only worth it if you're racing for money and not paying for it yourself... for amateurs, not even close to worth messing with.
Any gas, be it nitrogen, helium, or water vapor expands exactly the same with change in temperature - Ideal Gas Law. Tires with pure nitrogen gain and lose pressure while running around a track EXACTLY the same as tires filled with good old air.

The singular advantage to Nitrogen is that water vapor will condense from the gaseous mixture when whatever dew point of the water vapor in the mixture is reached. That could add to corrosion inside the wheel.
__________________
2013 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sahara
Ponderosa is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
joe002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,185
joe002 is on a distinguished road
When you’re in Ouray and maybe Moab just pretend you have plain old air in your tires and air down and up with plain old air. Mixing the air in your tires with plain old air won’t hurt, and will save you some money.
__________________
2008 Rubicon, 2 Door, Flame Red, Auto, MyGIG, Power Group, Deep Tint
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Rear Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly Antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Front Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skid, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Posts: 282
jakbak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
Any gas, be it nitrogen, helium, or water vapor expands exactly the same with change in temperature - Ideal Gas Law. Tires with pure nitrogen gain and lose pressure while running around a track EXACTLY the same as tires filled with good old air.

The singular advantage to Nitrogen is that water vapor will condense from the gaseous mixture when whatever dew point of the water vapor in the mixture is reached. That could add to corrosion inside the wheel.
This is not true. Air is not an ideal gas. Nitrogen is. Ideal gas law only applies to noble gases, for ease of calculations it is assumed for gases at low temp and pressures. Water vapor is totally different from helium and nitrogen.

The moisture thing is true but id have to do some looking to see if would actually occur in tires.
jakbak is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Gort is on a distinguished road
Nitrogen fills have a definite purpose in aviation. The main reasons that come to mind are that nitrogen carries less moisture, reduces the corrosion of the wheels (little to no oxygen), and reduces the potential for a tire to catch fire on landing. There are probably a lot of other benefits, like weight reduction, that can be cited as well.

For your Jeep though, I'd opine that the advantages of a nitrogen fill are much less important. If you're getting the N2 fill for free (like my local tire shop gives to their customers) then go for it, otherwise I'd say that it's not worth the money.
Gort is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
joe002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,185
joe002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
...If you're getting the N2 fill for free (like my local tire shop gives to their customers) then go for it, otherwise I'd say that it's not worth the money...
That probably can work for cars, but when you're wheeling in Ouray or Moab (or most any other place) and it's time to air up, the free Nitrogen shop isn't located at the end of the trail.
__________________
2008 Rubicon, 2 Door, Flame Red, Auto, MyGIG, Power Group, Deep Tint
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Rear Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly Antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Front Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skid, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 318
Gort is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
That probably can work for cars, but when you're wheeling in Ouray or Moab (or most any other place) and it's time to air up, the free Nitrogen shop isn't located at the end of the trail.
Fill up with air on the trail, nitrogen when it's free. Since it's providing little benefit to auto tires, there's no need to seek it out or worry about carrying it around with you. I guess I should have stated that explicitly instead of implicitly...
Gort is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
joe002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,185
joe002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Fill up with air on the trail, nitrogen when it's free. Since it's providing little benefit to auto tires, there's no need to seek it out or worry about carrying it around with you. I guess I should have stated that explicitly instead of implicitly...
Yeah, I figured that since the OP was asking about wheeling in Ouray and Moab then after airing down and up his tires would just be plain old air anyway, and if he has any fun on the trails then the tires will get more wear from the trails then they'll ever see from the kind of air in the tires.
__________________
2008 Rubicon, 2 Door, Flame Red, Auto, MyGIG, Power Group, Deep Tint
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Rear Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly Antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Front Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skid, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 448
JandS is on a distinguished road
"Pure" nitrogen is great, if it is free with the vehicle or tires. It is simply not worth paying for.
__________________
Past Jeeps: 71 CJ5 (225V6) | 01 Wrangler Sport | 04 Wrangler Sport
Current:12 Crush Rubi 4dr | 6spd | heated leather Katzskins w/orange accents | Garmin 430
Highway eater: 2006 V70R | Quick car: 2008 Lotus Exige S
JandS is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,045
2five22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbak View Post
This is not true. Air is not an ideal gas. Nitrogen is. Ideal gas law only applies to noble gases, for ease of calculations it is assumed for gases at low temp and pressures. Water vapor is totally different from helium and nitrogen.

The moisture thing is true but id have to do some looking to see if would actually occur in tires.
The person who mentioned Ideal Gas was speaking of the Ideal Gas Law as a commonly used principle at STP. It models the situation adequately. It is stated as:



P = Pressure of the gas
V = Volume of the gas
n = moles of gas
R = Boltzmann constant / Avogadro constant
T = Temperature.

Nitrogen is not a Noble gas, but it is nearly perfect for automotive and aviation tire uses. Nitrogen was chosen because it is chemically inert to rubber and rubber based compounds, is well tolerated in vehicle use, is inexpensive, and has a larger molecular size than other gases.
2five22 is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Ponderosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 177
Ponderosa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbak View Post
This is not true. Air is not an ideal gas. Nitrogen is. Ideal gas law only applies to noble gases, for ease of calculations it is assumed for gases at low temp and pressures. Water vapor is totally different from helium and nitrogen.

The moisture thing is true but id have to do some looking to see if would actually occur in tires.
No, it is true. The Ideal Gas Law applies to any gas including gaseous water. A vessel filled with water vapor reacts the same to changes in temperature as a vessel filled with nitrogen or any other gas near STP. Conditions under which vehicles are operated are close enough that the Ideal Gas Law can be applied with very little difference.

Bottom line: nitrogen in highway vehicle tires is unnecessary and provides no benefit over using compressed air with the possible exception I stated earlier: water vapor in compressed air will condense on the inner walls of the tires and the wheels if temps fall sufficiently. That may, in turn, lead to corrosion of the wheels or affect the tires in some way.
__________________
2013 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sahara
Ponderosa is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
Casotakar1229 is on a distinguished road
...total science nerd convention going on here. thread is killing me.
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Live in Huntsville but travel due to work
Posts: 87
Disconnected is on a distinguished road
Wheres Farnsworth and Wurmstrom
__________________
2012 JKU Sport
Disconnected is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
COLOUJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 230
COLOUJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, it is true. The Ideal Gas Law applies to any gas including gaseous water. A vessel filled with water vapor reacts the same to changes in temperature as a vessel filled with nitrogen or any other gas near STP. Conditions under which vehicles are operated are close enough that the Ideal Gas Law can be applied with very little difference.
Umm, no. Can you apply it to any gas, sure, will it be correct, nope. You wont get a precise answer but you will be close. its "ideal gas" law for a reason.

As to the OP I would not bother with N2 unless your getting it for free. Even then you wont really notice a difference.
COLOUJK is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,554
MTH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 View Post
...total science nerd convention going on here. thread is killing me.
No joke.

For the OP - the amount of debate over this matter alone should be proof that it's functionally irrelevant. If there was any clear, measurable benefit, it would be undisputed. As it's plainly not, any benefit is at most nearly imperceptible.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,478
kbwwolf is on a distinguished road
I'll take a side of O2 w/my tires, please...

And Ideal Gas is something nobody else in the room notices.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Gbobva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 326
Gbobva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I'll take a side of O2 w/my tires, please...

And Ideal Gas is something nobody else in the room notices.
FTW... Made me giggle.

I had read that nitrogen loaded tires loose less pressure over time. Again, totally moot with airing up and down, but just curious if this is true.
Gbobva is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
COLOUJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 230
COLOUJK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbobva View Post
FTW... Made me giggle.

I had read that nitrogen loaded tires loose less pressure over time. Again, totally moot with airing up and down, but just curious if this is true.
Due to N2 being a larger molecule its kind of true but when you check your air pressure regularly you will notice your low on air anyway. Or atleast you should.
COLOUJK is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Insanerb25 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski.jumper View Post
Just bought a 2012 Rubicon and it comes with nitrogen tires. Dumb question - but - do you dump the nitrogen and refill with air? I am planning on spending most of July in the Ouray-Silverton area (and maybe Moab). And airing up or down with nitrogen seems impractical. Open to suggestions and ideas. TIA
It is most definitely not impracticable. Check out this description from Jason at engineering explained who covers it pretty well
Nitrogen Filled Tires
Insanerb25 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 28
oyoquem is on a distinguished road
Even if it had a significant benefit, it wouldn't be practical if you go wheeling since you would air down and most likely air up with a tire inflator.
oyoquem is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Potatohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 996
Potatohead is on a distinguished road
Potatohead is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In the Woods, On Top of a Mountain
Posts: 8,166
RubiconSS is on a distinguished road
What if they put the wrong stuff in - Oh the humanity!

__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: In the middle
Posts: 920
AZrat is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys.

Short answer- Just use plain old air.

Long answer-
We've used nitrogen in high altitude airplane tires for decades because of the environment at high altitude cruise. i.e. 100+ degree temperature swings plus drastic atmospheric pressure change as you go up and down.

The first car I ever saw with nitrogen filled tires was the Prius. They had nitrogen filled tires and suddenly everybody jumped on the bandwagon. My Jeep dealer tried to charge me an extra $90 bucks for nitrogen when I bought this one.

In my opinion, there's no benefit at all to using nitrogen in something as generic as a jeep tire, except maybe for the water=wheel corrosion argument, or maybe if you just really love those nifty green valve caps.
AZrat is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #29
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In the Woods, On Top of a Mountain
Posts: 8,166
RubiconSS is on a distinguished road
The place I get my Tires uses Nitrogen but do it as a "No Charge" part of their
Mounting, Balancing, valve stem, etc "Package" - it's a Marketing ploy.

IF they charged for it - No way.

Their prices for Tires + package is the lowest in town. So, if I go back (when needed) they Add Nitrogen.
If I add myself, it's regular "ol' air" (obviously).
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: In the middle
Posts: 920
AZrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
The place I get my Tires uses Nitrogen but do it as a "No Charge" part of their
Mounting, Balancing, valve stem, etc "Package" - it's a Marketing ploy.

IF they charged for it - No way.

Their prices for Tires + package is the lowest in town. So, if I go back (when needed) they Add Nitrogen.
If I add myself, it's regular "ol' air" (obviously).
Amen brother!

AZrat is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
airing , nitrogen , rubicon , silverton

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner