Noob with a lift Q. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Bappy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 52
Noob with a lift Q.

Me and my dad are looking into a good lift kit and im just wondering whats the best. He commutes with it quite a few miles to work and back and we love doing articulations and rock climbing, we are also on a tight budget. Thanks!

__________________
Bappy,
"When the going gets tough, the tough get Jeeps."
Bappy56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Wranglers have a huge aftermarket, and as a result, there are dozens and dozens of lift options. So your question doesn't really have an answer--it's like if I asked "My dad and I want a vehicle to do things, what should I get?" What's the answer? I dunno--a Honda Civic? A Dodge Ram? No idea.

I can say that wanting "the best" for commuting and rock climbing while being on a "tight budget" generally doesn't work.

Review the "JK Lift Reviews" thread at the top of the JK section to get some ideas and try to educate yourself a little bit. That should help narrow your query to something more manageable.

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,406
Something from Rock Krawler?? Rock Krawler Catalog

Although "tight budget" for a kit with great daily driveability and rock crawling may not go hand in hand. Some folks have a different tight budget than others. Also not knowing what kind of rock crawling you do kind of leaves us guessing as well.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
OH9JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 738
That is a tough question...you generally have to pay to play. There are several cheap lift kits on the market but you will sacrifice ride quality big time! I am sure it has been said a million times but you really do get what you pay for!!

Depending on how tight your budget is you might want to cruise around the different forum classifieds or Craigslist and look for parts. I have come across lots of quality used lift kits where guys wanted bigger or sold Jeep before they could install the parts.
__________________
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.
OH9JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Bappy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 52
Thanks guys, and Dan to answer your Question we do things like Snoopy rock in Rio Puerco, not very hard, and very little more than that. But right now im looking at a Terraflex budget boost lift kit. But I guess you're right, we really do need to educate ourselves. Thanks again!
__________________
Bappy,
"When the going gets tough, the tough get Jeeps."
Bappy56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Look at the "2 inch lifts" thread currently going.

The RK and Taraflex are great inexpensive lifts.

Here

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2-lifts-126865.html

I was considering the BB also. For the money either of those 2 coil lifts make sense
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
The search feature is your friend. Top of any page, third selection from right. Click on it, go to advanced search, type "lifts" into the box @ upper left, click on "JK Jeep Wrangler Forum" in the box @ lower right, then hit Search Now.

That'll give you an idea of the difference between a budget boost and a spring lift, the types of lifts that work well w/certain sized tires, etc.

Just make sure that every couple of hours, you walk away for awhile, or your head WILL explode.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: north jersey
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Look at the "2 inch lifts" thread currently going.

The RK and Taraflex are great inexpensive lifts.

Here

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2-lifts-126865.html

I was considering the BB also. For the money either of those 2 coil lifts make sense
kj, whats the real scoop on the rk lifts, i have heard that the springs sag after a while and you loose lift ht. also, how does the rk handle on the road? tks steve
blackforestgreen is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackforestgreen

kj, whats the real scoop on the rk lifts, i have heard that the springs sag after a while and you loose lift ht. also, how does the rk handle on the road? tks steve
I think your mistaken RK for RC

From all my reading and talking to Jason from KOR -- both are great lifts. The TF kit is a little more "out the box"
Both kits can be added on to also.
There's no wrong choice.

Ride quality? Not sure yet. I know the TF kit comes with shocks or extensions for your factory shocks. I think RK is the
same. I have a Rubicon so I'm assuming my shocks will do just fine with the extensions. If not I will upgrade if I need to.

Good luck
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
That is a tough question...you generally have to pay to play.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

Ain't that the truth?

While your here.... You have the TF lift correct?
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I think your mistaken RK for RC

From all my reading and talking to Jason from KOR -- both are great lifts. The TF kit is a little more "out the box"
Both kits can be added on to also.
There's no wrong choice.

Ride quality? Not sure yet. I know the TF kit comes with shocks or extensions for your factory shocks. I think RK is the
same. I have a Rubicon so I'm assuming my shocks will do just fine with the extensions. If not I will upgrade if I need to.

Good luck
This. RK does not sag and I personally run the Teraflex so can say first hand that it doesn't sag either. Have heard of Rough Country sagging though.

-Dan
__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Ain't that the truth?

While your here.... You have the TF lift correct?
Yes sir.

TF 2.5 coil with shocks and adj front/rear track bars.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M

This. RK does not sag and I personally run the Teraflex so can say first hand that it doesn't sag either. Have heard of Rough Country sagging though.

-Dan
Yep, assuming he meant RC.

How's the TF working for you?

I'm ordering 2mrw?
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

Yes sir.

TF 2.5 coil with shocks and adj front/rear track bars.
Ok. Now--from what I remembered. Did you buy the adj trac bars after the fact?

Issues?
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Ok. Now--from what I remembered. Did you buy the adj trac bars after the fact?

Issues?
Yes I got the JKS bars after about a month of driving without them. After the lift both my front and rear axles were over slightly to the drivers side. It drove ok as far as I could tell but it REALLY messes with your psychological comfort to know they are aren't perfectly lateral especially after you get raised up to the new height. Steering was a little flighty after the lift too but that was all but eliminated with a proper tire balancing. After the bars went on, both axles were lined up dead even and not only did it feel better to have it this way, it felt better driving too "tighter".

I highly recommend the JKS track bars. Very heavy duty and very well made. Fully adjustable and the look great. Here's some pics



__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

Yes I got the JKS bars after about a month of driving without them. After the lift both my front and rear axles were over slightly to the drivers side. It drove ok as far as I could tell but it REALLY messes with your psychological comfort to know they are aren't perfectly lateral especially after you get raised up to the new height. Steering was a little flighty after the lift too but that was all but eliminated with a proper tire balancing. After the bars went on, both axles were lined up dead even and not only did it feel better to have it this way, it felt better driving too "tighter".

I highly recommend the JKS track bars. Very heavy duty and very well made. Fully adjustable and the look great. Here's some pics
The kit itself comes with a extension(s)
So what made you need them?
I have time just wondering if i should install/drive the jeep get a feel, and then see if I actually need them or not.

Thanks for the pics.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
The kit itself comes with a extension(s)
So what made you need them?
I have time just wondering if i should install/drive the jeep get a feel, and then see if I actually need them or not.

Thanks for the pics.
If you mean the relocation bracket for the rear stock track bar, yes I installed that too and kept the stocker bar for the month after the lift. I would install the lift and see what you think then decide if you want/need new track bars. TF used to ship some of their 2.5 kits with extension brackets but I believe have stopped now in favor of the full relocation bracket. For me the lift gave enough height on my 2 door to warrant getting them. TF recommends keeping the relocation bracket on the rear axle even if you get a new adj bar back there. It corrects the geometry and allows the rear bar to be perfectly paraelle to the axle. You can see this in the second and third photos above.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

If you mean the relocation bracket for the rear stock track bar, yes I installed that too and kept the stocker bar for the month after the lift. I would install the lift and see what you think then decide if you want/need new track bars. TF used to ship some of their 2.5 kits with extension brackets but I believe have stopped now in favor of the full relocation bracket. For me the lift gave enough height on my 2 door to warrant getting them. TF recommends keeping the relocation bracket on the rear axle even if you get a new adj bar back there. It corrects the geometry and allows the rear bar to be perfectly paraelle to the axle. You can see this in the second and third photos above.
Ok. That was my thought.

My luck ..... I'll need them.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Bappy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 52
Hey thanks you guys you are being GREAT helps. My dad moves alot so we may or may not see you on the trails. A few places we might just travel to. But if you ever make your way out to Rio Puerco, try finding us. Just PM if you are.
__________________
Bappy,
"When the going gets tough, the tough get Jeeps."
Bappy56 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
Supporting Member Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Yep, assuming he meant RC.

How's the TF working for you?

I'm ordering 2mrw?
Works great, I love it. I have their front and rear track bars too. Been wheeling several times with it. I've been thinking of swapping in 3" coils and throwing in their flexarms.

-Dan

__________________
-Dan, Owner
RockRaider4x4 - PM me for a quote
Free shipping on most items
Suspension package deals available
Daniel_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lift kit help! please! mannyssj13 TJ General Discussion Forum 21 01-29-2011 07:02 PM
Mopar 2" lift myjeepandmydog JK General Discussion Forum 19 01-24-2011 04:03 PM
Noob 3" Lift JeepsFTW TJ General Discussion Forum 7 01-05-2010 07:07 PM
Body lift or no body lift?? savinlives2448 TJ Tech Forum 8 03-23-2009 11:38 PM
noob lift question (caution: pic heavy).... catITguy TJ General Discussion Forum 23 02-27-2009 11:02 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC